ADVERTISEMENT

Who had the the hemit design first Hens or Michigan

Sep 7, 2002
When I use to post on the FCS Delaware boards a Delaware fan told me that the Hens came up with the design and Michigan took it from you. On the Minnesota Gopher Hole a poster stated the Michigan had the design first in 1951. So, which is?

Good luck this year in the FCS Playoffs!
GSUsTALON from Georgia Southern

www.gsufans.com

Last edited:
It was Dave Nelson. He played for Michigan before finally coming to Delaware as head coach. He brought a fondness for the helmet design with him. He is known for creating the wing-T offense.

Dave Nelson created the Delaware Wing-T not the traditional Wing-T offense. However, Tubby was the mad genius of the Wing-T.

RS- "Dave Nelson created the Delaware Wing-T not the traditional Wing-T offense. However, Tubby was the mad genius of the Wing-T."

Ol' Tubby & his Wing-T
Back in the early 80s & 90's I was reading as much as I could about the Wishbone Triple Option attack and applying the basics to the Georgia Southern PJ style Spread or Flex Triple option. I ran across one of Tubby's books on the wing-t & I wish I had bought it back then.

What type of offense do the hens run now?
Will you give NDSU a run for the championship this year?

0976514e97bfec0f147bbbd6f1aa392d.jpg

RS- "Dave Nelson created the Delaware Wing-T not the traditional Wing-T offense. However, Tubby was the mad genius of the Wing-T."

Ol' Tubby & his Wing-T
Back in the early 80s & 90's I was reading as much as I could about the Wishbone Triple Option attack and applying the basics to the Georgia Southern PJ style Spread or Flex Triple option. I ran across one of Tubby's books on the wing-t & I wish I had bought it back then.

What type of offense do the hens run now?
Will you give NDSU a run for the championship this year?
Talon, I wish you guys had stayed around to give another shot at NDSU. I remember the last time you played them in championship semis (up there of course) your guys scored what would be the winning points only to be called back for a procedural penalty. That is one tough place to play.

Reactions: GSUsTALON
http://www.joshuabermandesign.com/blog/2011/apparel/1140/princeton-vs-michigan

Princeton

Not that I didn't trust the homer sitting behind me, but this merited some research. Here is the story according to Princeton.edu:

"Princeton's orange and black "Tiger Helmet" is a distinctive piece of the University's sports tradition. Designed by legendary Hall of Fame coach Herbert O. "Fritz" Crisler and first worn by the undefeated national championship team of 1935, this colorful headgear is a link to one of the great eras in the heralded football history of Old Nassau.

"The helmet was styled to represent a fighting tiger with its ears glared back and three symbolic orange-stripes running sleekly from front to back and matches the traditional tiger striping on the jersey. At a time when all helmets were similar, Coach Crisler thought that this highly visible emblem would help quarterbacks more readily find their downfield receivers.

"When Crisler left Princeton in 1938, he took the helmet design with him to Michigan, where in maize and blue it became an icon of that university's football program. This distinctive helmet design which originated at Princeton - where intercollegiate football was born - is a reminder to students, alumni, fans and worthy opponents of all the great Tiger players who ever proudly represented Old Nassau on the gridiron." -Princeton.edu

Reactions: GSUsTALON
Talon, I wish you guys had stayed around to give another shot at NDSU. I remember the last time you played them in championship semis (up there of course) your guys scored what would be the winning points only to be called back for a procedural penalty. That is one tough place to play.

Thanks dovetail

GSU lost that last NDSU game on blunders. GSU had 2 back to back 15 yard personals when NDSU was on their own 30 with something like 3rd and 7 yards to go.. Then we fumble late in the 4th on something like our own 40 yard line. Don't get me wrong blunders all apart of the game & NDSU made less blunders than GSU did in that game. NDSU deserved that last win.

Hope you get to meet them this year in the playoffs.

TALON
www.gsufans.com

When Crisler left Princeton in 1938, he took the helmet design with him to Michigan,

Well then he is a B@$turd

http://www.joshuabermandesign.com/blog/2011/apparel/1140/princeton-vs-michigan

Princeton

Not that I didn't trust the homer sitting behind me, but this merited some research. Here is the story according to Princeton.edu:

"Princeton's orange and black "Tiger Helmet" is a distinctive piece of the University's sports tradition. Designed by legendary Hall of Fame coach Herbert O. "Fritz" Crisler and first worn by the undefeated national championship team of 1935, this colorful headgear is a link to one of the great eras in the heralded football history of Old Nassau.

"The helmet was styled to represent a fighting tiger with its ears glared back and three symbolic orange-stripes running sleekly from front to back and matches the traditional tiger striping on the jersey. At a time when all helmets were similar, Coach Crisler thought that this highly visible emblem would help quarterbacks more readily find their downfield receivers.

"When Crisler left Princeton in 1938, he took the helmet design with him to Michigan, where in maize and blue it became an icon of that university's football program. This distinctive helmet design which originated at Princeton - where intercollegiate football was born - is a reminder to students, alumni, fans and worthy opponents of all the great Tiger players who ever proudly represented Old Nassau on the gridiron." -Princeton.edu

It's been a couple of decades but the last time I saw Chester High play they were wearing the Princeton helmets. (orange and black)

I guess the helmet thing is one thing , but Ga. State is another.

Georgia Southern was GSC until we became a university. Georgia State was a university before Southern. We were then known as GSU. While we were winning 1aa National Championships Gag State didn't have a football team. As soon as they started one and lost badly in 1aa or FCS they decided to take Southern to court for the right to be called GSU. Our logo now is GS. You can still buy hats and things that say Georgia Southern with the term University in small letters, but not GSU.

I wish the FCS Hens would play them in Atlanta and beat the $h!t out of those FBS G5 pretenders. I travel to Atlanta to see that happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT