ADVERTISEMENT

Yellowjacket Invitational lack of coverage.

Eighthplace

Mascot
Dec 4, 2016
I know Smyrna doesn't attend the Newark Yellowjacket Invitational, so is this why there is no coverage on the tournament? I haven't seen anything in the papers, on the internet, or in this forum--why do you think this is? Just curious. It seems like a good opportunity for kids to get some experience up north, but all the talk and coverage surrounds the Milford Invitational, and it seems to be a dying tournament with both Cape and Dover opting out over the past 2 years, and no significant changes to the lineup in for as long as I can remember. Are we stuck in tradition, instead of trying to build better tournaments and attract out-of-state teams?

Next weekend there is going to be plenty of out of state teams coming to Delaware for a tournament.
Very clever attempt to not answer the question. The Beast is something that attracts regional and national talent, so comparing a major tournament with a local tournament is simply unfair. Be constructive and help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dahammer23
Not sure where to start to help. To much Smyrna coverage or ask whoever runs Newark tournament to post results somewhere and for Milford inv results to be not talked about to much?

Reactions: HammersWrestling
Very clever attempt to not answer the question. The Beast is something that attracts regional and national talent, so comparing a major tournament with a local tournament is simply unfair. Be constructive and help.
What out of state school would you like to bring in that is not already going to be here next week? It's Newark High School's job to promote their own tournament. Not quite sure the type of help you are looking for here.

Results have been on track since Saturday evening I believe. Full brackets

No coverage up there because theres not much depth of talent in that tournament compared to Milford. Milford Invitational is historically known as the precursor to the Henlopen conference championships. Henlopen is by far deeper conference than the other teams up north. With heavyweights Smyrna, Central, Milford, Middletown, Sallies, all taking part at Milford that was the place to be. 4 of the top 5 teams in Newark were Henlopen teams all expected to finish lower than the teams already mentioned.. Poly won the tournament and Poly is maybe the 5th ranked Henlopen North team. Sussex Tech is probably 6th in the North. William Penn finished 3rd in Newark after finishing 8th at Poly Invite.

No coverage up there because theres not much depth of talent in that tournament compared to Milford. Milford Invitational is historically known as the precursor to the Henlopen conference championships. Henlopen is by far deeper conference than the other teams up north. With heavyweights Smyrna, Central, Milford, Middletown, Sallies, all taking part at Milford that was the place to be. 4 of the top 5 teams in Newark were Henlopen teams all expected to finish lower than the teams already mentioned.. Poly won the tournament and Poly is maybe the 5th ranked Henlopen North team. Sussex Tech is probably 6th in the North. William Penn finished 3rd in Newark after finishing 8th at Poly Invite.
Thank you, this is what I was looking for. I hope the tournament directors make some changes that bring in some better teams and make it more appealing. It should be a bigger attraction considering it's proximity to PA, so maybe some feedback will help.

Last edited:
20 years ago this was a great tournament with many state champions and placers from the Tri-State area. The 135# final that year still sticks out in my mind as a classic.
Kevin Martin knew how to run a tournament and a program. That same year Newark also held the Mid-Atlantic Classic. While that was Vic's brainchild, Kevin and his crew did a great job pulling it off with the help of Lou and the pre-DWA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT