ADVERTISEMENT

Your Fav DE HS FB Coach & Why?

I can't go too far back on the all-time thing as I'm only in my early 30s, but Coach K was definitely one of the upstanding gentlemen I've come across and he had good teams year to year. It was nice to see him break through in D2 with Concord.

Id have to go with Coach Simpson for life lessons on and off the field . Also Coach Dooley for all the life lessons he teaches on and off the field too and the passion he brings to sports not just football . I dont think their is a coach out there in Delaware that prepares his team as much as Dooley. Not to mention all the things he does in the community and for different organizations he is a class act .

Reactions: fanoffootball123
Coaching Now - BDN. ( I have had a couple of conversations with Bob Tattersall and he is a magnificent guy. Butch Simpson is one of the all time great educators....)

Retired - George Glenn, Bruce Reynolds.

Recently Retired - Coach K

Long time ago--- Dim Montero and John Modica. (2 friends who were never able to get a game scheduled.)

Simpson, Coach K, and B. Reynolds

Class by themselves (say it again...by themselves). All three would have been successful as head coaches at the next level and chose to to mold men.

It's the 1st winning season the guy from DMA has ever had.

3 Doggy....good call on that. Not to mention that they only played 1 team this year and after that game didn't he say something about "we're here to stay"........my question is don't you have to get there first?

Reactions: FlyersFan74
I agree he is a good coach, but am on the fence about Dinardo's early years at Middletown? They were Div II and played no one all year until they played St E's in post season. A lot of "cakewalks", and then to the endless resources of Sallies. You have to give him credit for the path he has taken (the one with the least resistance) though now being at Sallies and having so many kids to pick from and an admin that gives you anything you need. Hell he probably hasnt even dealt with the headaches that most HS coaches even have. So I would not put him in the same discussion yet with Simpson, Coach K, and Reynolds.

I agree he is a good coach, but am on the fence about Dinardo's early years at Middletown? They were Div II and played no one all year until they played St E's in post season. A lot of "cakewalks", and then to the endless resources of Sallies. You have to give him credit for the path he has taken (the one with the least resistance) though now being at Sallies and having so many kids to pick from and an admin that gives you anything you need. Hell he probably hasnt even dealt with the headaches that most HS coaches even have. So I would not put him in the same discussion yet with Simpson, Coach K, and Reynolds.
Dinardo's early years he didn't win Dickinson beat them all the time in late 80s to mid 90s.

Reactions: Jawnsky
The guy from DMA inherited a lot of talent from the previous coach. ( just look at his record from mcKean) it is also not going to be the first time DmA has been in playoffs. A great football coach returns calls to colleges who are interested in recruiting his players. he had a major problem with previous coach and made sure last years seniors paid for it. Not impressed.

ceech-could not agree more but I give BDN props for at least saying this is how I do it...plain ole simple smash mouth football....and he sticks to it. It has cost him at times, but more good than bad.

But he is not in that tier 1 class of coaches yet.

The guy from DMA inherited a lot of talent from the previous coach. ( just look at his record from mcKean) it is also not going to be the first time DmA has been in playoffs. A great football coach returns calls to colleges who are interested in recruiting his players. he had a major problem with previous coach and made sure last years seniors paid for it. Not impressed.

that's prob the reason Coach K/Concord has done so well of moving kids to the next level(s).
.....If what you are saying is accurate....that is total BS!

ceech-could not agree more but I give BDN props for at least saying this is how I do it...plain ole simple smash mouth football....and he sticks to it. It has cost him at times, but more good than bad.

But he is not in that tier 1 class of coaches yet.

Jawnsky. You are trying to get my attention, right?

I think that BDN is in that class of coaches. He turned Caravel around back when he was like 26. He turned Middletown around. He more than turned the Big S around. People had stopped going to games in like 1999-2003.( I aged 25 years.) Oh, that is the biggest sin of all --not to be relevant. BDN came in 2004 and they go 9-1.

Sals FB is always over-hyped. BDN has had some talent but there is a just as much and more talent in many of the Blue Hen and Henlopen buildings. Unless Tattersall coaches until he is 90 BDN will end up with the most coaching wins in DE HS FB history.

There is nobody I would rather have coach Salesianum than BDN. (Ara is 92. Lombardi died in 1970)......and every coach gets out coached and second guessed....

I am officially boring myself.

All great coaches, best thing that happen to Coach K and D2 is MT moved up D1, I recall Billy pounding Concord.
Best thing that happen to D1 is MT moved up, I don't think Butch could buy a win against BDN. I might be off here and have to check the record book. However, during that transition of D1/D2, CK and Butch were very frustrated on the sidelines when they played M-Town.
Since you mention St E's, I would put Joe Hemphill in the same discussion. Also, I think he has done great work within the DFRC.

Hello ????? Anyone have any opinions on Dooley?? He won a championship last year , on a 19 game winning streak , and is on the verge of possibly winning a back to back undefeated season and championship that has never been done at Penn . Yes Newark has done it twice but not at Penn and he has only been there this is his 3rd year . I think he deserves credit where credit.is due not to mention all his hard work off the field.

Hello ????? Anyone have any opinions on Dooley?? He won a championship last year , on a 19 game winning streak , and is on the verge of possibly winning a back to back undefeated season and championship that has never been done at Penn . Yes Newark has done it twice but not at Penn and he has only been there this is his 3rd year . I think he deserves credit where credit.is due not to mention all his hard work off the field.
You are a very loyal assistant coach or a parent who loves Penn

Dooley right now is one of the best. All-time he's not even on the radar. Yet.

Having an enrollment over 2000 doesn't hurt either. Just saying.

Dooley right now is one of the best. All-time he's not even on the radar. Yet.

Having an enrollment over 2000 doesn't hurt either. Just saying.
They have 2000 but only 50 kids come out and maybe half are football players they don't have a feeder program.

As much as I despise WP- I respect their program and love that Dooley has revived it. Keep in mind, I was the 1st person on this forum to tell the world WP was back- I saw it in that 7/7 game vs the Clones at Midway....anyway- To deny what Dooley has done is garbage, but to start putting him that class of legendary Coaches......seriously?

Reactions: Mobhits
They have 2000 but only 50 kids come out and maybe half are football players they don't have a feeder program.

I count a whole lot more kids on their rosters than 50.. They might have only 50 on Varsity but they have another 50 on JV and another 30 some on the Freshman team

Reactions: Mobhits
Dooley is a very good coach. He needs a little more time to get elevated to the elite status. He is certainly trending and is on his way.

He served a nice apprenticeship at Avon Grove. He had some success and some struggles.

When did Bummy know Penn was back? 2013 - Bummy was at the Sals - Penn game at Bill Cole. That was Dooley's first year as Penn's HC. The Sals go up 21-0. Then Penn outplayed and outhit them for 3 quarters. Sals win 28-14. I walked out of the stadium with my brother in law Horace and said: "Horace, the cherry and black is back." Or something to that affect. ( check the spelling of last word..)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT