1. #1634 Woodbridge
2. #3884 Milford
3. #3980 Caravel
4. #4018 St Georges Tech
5. #4986 Friends
6. #5266 DMA
7. #5314 Glasgow
8. #5699 St Marks

Typical Delaware D1 Championship game are teams ranked #250-#450 vs #500-#1000.

Surprising how accurate it is with its teams in playoffs. I wouldn't agree with its rankings though. As much as I think MT is better than Smyrna it's not by 400 spots. By 1 or 2. They are too even to rank them that far apart.

But cal preps don't see the games. They just go by history and strength of schedule. Because Smyrna would deffinetly be in my 300-400 percentile at least.

I've only seen Caravel games and scrimmages this year, WP, Sallies and Smyrna a game or two last year, and 20+ ECA games over three years.

So, I can't offer anything of value on Smyrna and Middletown strength this year, but William Penn, Sallies, and Concord seem like reasonable estimates of strength. It's obviously not perfect, nothing is, but it's good enough to pick 82-83% winners.

Will be an interesting wrap up to the season, I'm enjoying Delaware HSFB.

Last edited:
Calpreps on a National scale is whacky but it works well on a small sample size where many teams play each other like DE.. The one thing it does do is over value DE D1 teams vs D2 in terms of schedule strength.. for example a D2 team that plays Polytech may get more of a SOS boost than they should

Last edited:
There's a huge range of Delaware HSFB strength of schedules for potential playoff teams. 20+ spread in D1 and about the same in D2.

Doesn't dial in till late in season, and doesn't adjust for injuries. Better than nothing.

Looking at Central and Cape. Looks like both finish 7-3.. But Central gets in because of SOS.. Cape beat them head to head and finish ahead of them in conference... If i was Cape.. That would be hard to swallow.... Wouldnt care who they played head to head we beat you.. Thats how the piont system flawd in Delaware....

Looking at Central and Cape. Looks like both finish 7-3.. But Central gets in because of SOS.. Cape beat them head to head and finish ahead of them in conference... If i was Cape.. That would be hard to swallow.... Wouldnt care who they played head to head we beat you.. Thats how the piont system flawd in Delaware....
Cape will end up 6-4

Cape and central won't be tied on points. Central will eventually have more putting them ahead. If they were tied in points, the first tie break is head to head. Cape sealed their fate with their loss to caravel. The only way negate that is by beating Smyrna or central and sallies losing at least one more game.

If I was
Cape I'd become a tech and st. Marks fan real quick because I don't see central losing to Dover or Indian River. However, without drake, tech and st. Marks especially are a dangerous pair for sallies right now.

Cape and central won't be tied on points. Central will eventually have more putting them ahead. If they were tied in points, the first tie break is head to head. Cape sealed their fate with their loss to caravel. The only way negate that is by beating Smyrna or central and sallies losing at least one more game.

If I was
Cape I'd become a tech and st. Marks fan real quick because I don't see central losing to Dover or Indian River. However, without drake, tech and st. Marks especially are a dangerous pair for sallies right now.
Cape has no shot... sallies going to destroy tech and st. Marks.. But If both end up 7-3.... Central and Cape.. That would mean system need to make a little changes... My opinion you just cant have a team beat a team and finish ahead of them in conference and they get in before you because of SOS... Not a fan of Central Or Cape... Just think that ma ke piont system has a flaw to it..

How can you say a system is flawed because of this one occurrence? That's ridiculous.

Central beat enough teams to get into the playoffs and played enough quality opponents in order to earn extra points.

RR or others who have been around...this doesn't happen often. Don't blame the system...maybe stop playing Lower Cape May Regional.

Cheers,

Busch

Or win your conference then the schedule and points don't matter,, Doesn't even matter Cape would have been 1 and done anyway. Might as well get the wrestlers and hoopsters into practice a week earlier..

Last edited:
Reactions: shorebilly
Agreed! The system may need some tweaking but at the moment this instance isn't where it's flawed. Your penalizing a team that plays probably the weakest schedule in division 1, they shouldn't make the playoffs. They know the problem and continue to schedule divisionn 2 schools. It's bitten them in the butt numerous is years. If you want to make the playoffs with that schedule go undefeated, if you can't, then start scheduling tougher schedule and youd benefit from it or the truth about how good you are or are not will show.

Because with what your saying, cape should be in because they beat central. Well using that logic caravel should be in the division 1 playoffs because they beat cape.

The point system being flawed (which it is) isn't nearly as big of an issue as the discrepancies in the conference sizes between BH and Henlopen. Case in point: Mtown and Smy are both 8-0, but because Smy played Howard, they are penalized essentially 2 points. It happens every year, and has happened to Cape several times.
The discrepancy, in my opinion, is that BH teams are locked into what...8 conference divisional games while Hen. teams are only locked into 6. BH have to find 2 non-conference games, Hen have to find 4. Good luck finding 4 D1 teams to play you, Smyrna (or insert hot team at the moment...)

They should really consider splitting the schools in half by size, not having the 1050 or whatever it is population cutoff for D1. That way D1 would absorb a few more teams, D2 would lose some, and D2 could go back to 6 game playoff bracket.

Agreed! The system may need some tweaking but at the moment this instance isn't where it's flawed. Your penalizing a team that plays probably the weakest schedule in division 1, they shouldn't make the playoffs. They know the problem and continue to schedule divisionn 2 schools. It's bitten them in the butt numerous is years. If you want to make the playoffs with that schedule go undefeated, if you can't, then start scheduling tougher schedule and youd benefit from it or the truth about how good you are or are not will show.

Because with what your saying, cape should be in because they beat central. Well using that logic caravel should be in the division 1 playoffs because they beat cape.
How can you say a system is flawed because of this one occurrence? That's ridiculous.

Central beat enough teams to get into the playoffs and played enough quality opponents in order

Name
o have been around...this doesn't happen often. Don't blame the system...maybe stop playing Lower Cape May Regional.

Cheers,

Busch
like said before... Its a flaw in the system.. Dont care who gets in.. Not
The point system being flawed (which it is) isn't nearly as big of an issue as the discrepancies in the conference sizes between BH and Henlopen. Case in point: Mtown and Smy are both 8-0, but because Smy played Howard, they are penalized essentially 2 points. It happens every year, and has happened to Cape several times.
The discrepancy, in my opinion, is that BH teams are locked into what...8 conference divisional games while Hen. teams are only locked into 6. BH have to find 2 non-conference games, Hen have to find 4. Good luck finding 4 D1 teams to play you, Smyrna (or insert hot team at the moment...)

They should really consider splitting the schools in half by size, not having the 1050 or whatever it is population cutoff for D1. That way D1 would absorb a few more teams, D2 would lose some, and D2 could go back to 6 game playoff bracket.
I agree with your piont.. But everybody seems like they lost in this system is to benefit upstate c

Lol... You beat me to the punch... You hit it right on. The whole HenlopenSouth is D2.. But people on Here saying system aint flawed.. Smh..

Smyrna picked up Middletown next season. First game of the season looks like the Harvest Bowl is back on.

I like the cut it in half idea,, most states cut offs are divided evenly between the divisions,, but I also like how the MIAA does it in MD where teams move up and down between A B or C based on performance every two years and by each sport.. An MIAA team could be A in football but B in baseball .. DE is small enough to accomplish this..enrollment numbers doesnt always tell the story especially when one team has 1100 students and another has1200 .. For the most part yeah but only for publics.. Privates, Techs and Charters that can be a different story

Last edited:
Surprising how accurate it is with its teams in playoffs. I wouldn't agree with its rankings though. As much as I think MT is better than Smyrna it's not by 400 spots. By 1 or 2. They are too even to rank them that far apart.

But cal preps don't see the games. They just go by history and strength of schedule. Because Smyrna would definitely be in my 300-400 percentile at least.
The difference between spots in a rating system like this involving thousands of teams can be .2 or .3 points... for example MT is rated a 46.4 and Smyrna a 40.0 ,, The only difference is schedule strength. Its a mathematical algorythm of past results not a ranking or predictor. Its just a way of rating the teams its not intended to say who could beat who

Its more prudent to say MT is rated 46.4 and Smyrna 40.0.. not where those ratings fall in line with the country

The whole flip is Penn beating Sals and Cape losing to CA

Last edited:

Central beat enough teams to get into the playoffs and played enough quality opponents in order to earn extra points.

RR or others who have been around...this doesn't happen often. Don't blame the system...maybe stop playing Lower Cape May Regional.

Cheers,

Busch

Solution --- like Smyrna, Dover, CR, and Tech. Cape ought to play some D1 schools from New Castle County. Alderman, Schroeder and Glenn all did. Hell, the Cape should schedule Salesianum next year....looks like the Slowskys have 4 open dates for 2017...You think they are bad this year. Next year is sub .500.

Reactions: delawarenole

Is it time to move Middletown to the Henlopen?

I like the cut it in half idea,, most states cut offs are divided evenly between the divisions,, but I also like how the MIAA does it in MD where teams move up and down between A B or C based on performance every two years and by each sport.. An MIAA team could be A in football but B in baseball .. DE is small enough to accomplish this..enrollment numbers doesnt always tell the story especially when one team has 1100 students and another has1200 .. For the most part yeah but only for publics.. Privates, Techs and Charters that can be a different story
This is similar to the model that the DIAA is looking into.

What would the rankings be based on?
The issue is with public just because they were good the past two years doesn't mean they will be the next two,, Hense the numbers thing.. larger enrollments give a team a better chance to be good but it doesn't always work out that way,, luck of the draw really well that and school choice

Last edited:
The issue is with public just because they were good the past two years doesn't mean they will be the next two,, Hense the numbers thing.. larger enrollments give a team a better chance to be good but it doesn't always work out that way,, luck of the draw really
D-2 is always in so much flux, it is crazy.

Is it time to move Middletown to the Henlopen?

When the old Diamond State Conference merged with the Henlopen like 47 years ago they refused to let Middletown in the new Conference because it was too long of a ride. There were 2 reasons that they didn't want Middletown....1. Coach Billings was kicking there asses. 2. Coach Billings had the audacity to have African American players ( transferring in from the old Redding HS). Nobody around today was responsible for that decision. Enough said.

When the old Diamond State Conference merged with the Henlopen like 47 years ago they refused to let Middletown in the new Conference because it was too long of a ride. There were 2 reasons that they didn't want Middletown....1. Coach Billings was kicking there asses. 2. Coach Billings had the audacity to have African American players ( transferring in from the old Redding HS). Nobody around today was responsible for that decision. Enough said.
But wouldn't that help to even out the numbers? You could set D-1 and D-2 to 7 and 6 teams respectively in the public school conferences.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
did you really reference something 47 years ago? good god man

Solution --- like Smyrna, Dover, CR, and Tech. Cape ought to play some D1 schools from New Castle County. Alderman, Schroeder and Glenn all did. Hell, the Cape should schedule Salesianum next year....looks like the Slowskys have 4 open dates for 2017...You think they are bad this year. Next year is sub .500.

That's what I'm saying- if there were less teams in the BH-A then scheduling might be easier for the Hen North teams to pick them up.

It looks like the conference games get set, and the open dates are like "bye" weeks that the schools must fill. Here are the "byes" for the Hen. North this past 2 year cycle:
Dover - 1,2,3,7
Smy - 1,2,3,5
Cape - 1,2,3,8
CR - 1,2,3,4
SC - 1,2,3,10
Tech- 1,2,3,9
Poly- 1,2,3,6

That means that every Hen-North team needs to find a D1 opponent weeks 1,2,3 or they suffer from a lack of points. The other week is floating for each.

Now the BH-A byes:
AI - 1,7
Charter - 1,10
Penn - 1,8
Delcastle - 1,3
Concord - 1, 6
MtP- 1,9
Mtown - 1,5
Appo - 1,2
Newark- 1,4

So they ALL need a game week 1. Without someone stepping in to say "you have to play a Hen-N team" then AI avoids Dover, Charter avoids Central etc.

Then you throw independent schools in the mix, like Sals and StMarks trying to get games and it gets hairier.

My point is Hen-North teams are at the mercy of the BH-A. If a blue hen team decides to pick up an independent or private then the henlopen team is forced to play either Sallies or go play a d2 team. You know Sallies won't play a d2 unless its a rivalry game like StMarks, so they are going to work to snatch up games with the HN or BH-A teams.

I don't know if the point system is as flawed as the schedules

My
The difference between spots in a rating system like this involving thousands of teams can be .2 or .3 points... for example MT is rated a 46.4 and Smyrna a 40.0 ,, The only difference is schedule strength. Its a mathematical algorythm of past results not a ranking or predictor. Its just a way of rating the teams its not intended to say who could beat who

Its more prudent to say MT is rated 46.4 and Smyrna 40.0.. not where those ratings fall in line with the country

well If piont system isnt designed for who beat who head to head ..shouldnt be a system then..
That's what I'm saying- if there were less teams in the BH-A then scheduling might be easier for the Hen North teams to pick them up.

It looks like the conference games get set, and the open dates are like "bye" weeks that the schools must fill. Here are the "byes" for the Hen. North this past 2 year cycle:
Dover - 1,2,3,7
Smy - 1,2,3,5
Cape - 1,2,3,8
CR - 1,2,3,4
SC - 1,2,3,10
Tech- 1,2,3,9
Poly- 1,2,3,6

That means that every Hen-North team needs to find a D1 opponent weeks 1,2,3 or they suffer from a lack of points. The other week is floating for each.

Now the BH-A byes:
AI - 1,7
Charter - 1,10
Penn - 1,8
Delcastle - 1,3
Concord - 1, 6
MtP- 1,9
Mtown - 1,5
Appo - 1,2
Newark- 1,4

So they ALL need a game week 1. Without someone stepping in to say "you have to play a Hen-N team" then AI avoids Dover, Charter avoids Central etc.

Then you throw independent schools in the mix, like Sals and StMarks trying to get games and it gets hairier.

My point is Hen-North teams are at the mercy of the BH-A. If a blue hen team decides to pick up an independent or private then the henlopen team is forced to play either Sallies or go play a d2 team. You know Sallies won't play a d2 unless its a rivalry game like StMarks, so they are going to work to snatch up games with the HN or BH-A teams.

I don't know if the point system is as flawed as the schedules
The piont system is flawd because it

Cheers,

Busch
Missing whole piont.. I dont care who Central played... If Cape beat them head to head.. Both finish 7-3.. Show me another sport where that happened..never.. Alls you sayo is strenghth of schedule.. Please...

Isn't first tie break head to head?
Cape has no shot... sallies going to destroy tech and st. Marks.. But If both end up 7-3.... Central and Cape.. That would mean system need to make a little changes... My opinion you just cant have a team beat a team and finish ahead of them in conference and they get in before you because of SOS... Not a fan of Central Or Cape... Just think that ma ke piont system has a flaw to it..[/Q
My
well If piont system isnt designed for who beat who head to head ..shouldnt be a system then..

The piont system is flawd because it

Missing whole piont.. I dont care who Central played... If Cape beat them head to head.. Both finish 7-3.. Show me another sport where that happened..never.. Alls you sayo is strenghth of schedule.. Please...
Are you just stupid

Cheers,

Busch
Tha
Are you just stupid
No you stupid.. I know about the piont system.. .. Just my opinion... Dummy..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT