ADVERTISEMENT

How does “recruiting” ACTUALLY work?

I love the Smyrna v Middletown rivalry and how the hate runs deep is back. lol Definitely the mot heated and best rivalry in DE right now..
When dinardo left to go to Sallies. Salesianum Vs Middletown games were very very intense. Also the whole Private Vs Public school thing made it intense as well. I remember going to both State championship games. Middletown fans cheered when Troy Reeder was hurt and they ran a fake punt late in the 4th when they were up by 2 touchdowns. Smryna Vs Middletown will need some more memorable games to beat what Salesianum Vs Middletown had for a couple years. I don’t like Sallies that much but I respect them. We also share a common rival so that helps too.

Smyrna will beat Middletown so will IMG so will St Johns Prep so will the Ohio school and so will Sallies.
Haha! Ok. They should lose to those teams. There entire rosters are recruited. I would guess the logic behind scheduling games vs the powerhouse schools, is to simply showcase your players for possible college recruitment. You just can’t see anything outside of your undeniable hate towards their program. Which is pathetic and sad. I could care less what they win or lose because I’m not in the least bit emotionally attached, like you. Also, Wasn’t that also your prediction for the championship game last year? Smyrna to beat Middletown 😂

Haha! Ok. They should lose to those teams. There entire rosters are recruited. I would guess the logic behind scheduling games vs the powerhouse schools, is to simply showcase your players for possible college recruitment. You just can’t see anything outside of your undeniable hate towards their program. Which is pathetic and sad. I could care less what they win or lose because I’m not in the least bit emotionally attached, like you. Also, Wasn’t that also your prediction for the championship game last year? Smyrna to beat Middletown 😂
I joined this site after the season bud. Yeah showcase your team loosing by 60. Ask the 2018 team how that went

I joined this site after the season bud. Yeah showcase your team loosing by 60. Ask the 2018 team how that went
And there it is. That shows just how long you’ve been a hater of a bunch of high school kids. Probably even longer than that. It’s only Delaware high school football.l! Seek help immediately buddy.

The best part of this back and forth is the “quote” let the DIAA do there jobs.
there is a great line - you are great, at what I have no idea. That is the DIAA in a nutshell.

Recruiting? It’s simple. You know what it is. It’s not Blue Chips where Shaq and the boys are getting a bag of money. It goes on. Convos at certain levels. Just go to a 7v7 tourney, these dudes are all talking to each other looking to go to other schools.
Does this team do it more than others etc… sure, in 2 years it will be the next school, then the next, and so on. I don’t like it at all. Stinks.” Just let the DIAA do there jobs”That continues to be the problem.
Remember C.R.E.A.M

Reactions: DelaNewb
One of them went to Archbishop Spalding who beat Malvern prep and Gonzaga prep (Where Caleb Williams went to school) and the other kid didn’t go to a Philly public school he went to Roman Catholic which has always been a top Philly school.

I can assure you that Roman Catholic was always a middling football program. Always. Not sure they ever won a league championship.

Now basketball? Oh yea. Perennial national program.

You know well that these transfer kids 8 months ago couldn’t locate Middletown on a map. Middletown went to them and recruited them to be there. Don’t get it twisted

I started this thread to hopefully find factual cases where recruiting has occurred. And no, I wasn’t looking for names/schools.

But you keep giving us the opposite. You’re naming names without providing any evidence. Just a “cmon guys, how does that happen!” and a “don’t get it twisted”.

Help us not get it twisted. Tell us the inner workings of how it all went down. Otherwise it’s school girl gossip.

Got a text from Coach Lincoln saying that he needed to talk. For obvious reasons, I immediately responded and we agreed to meet at James Street Tavern within the hour.

As soon as I walk in, I see the 6'4" lanky man slumped over an already 1/2 empty tall boy of Natty Light with a red face and few salty tears running down his cheeks. Concern is my first emotion; "is everything ok" I ask.

He replied, "All this recruiting talk on DEPreps, but all the posters talk about is Middletown this and Smyrna that. They even discuss schools like St Joes Prep, DeMatha, Sparlding and Gilman. GILMAN!! They stink now; haven't recruited even a 3-star 8th grader in years!"

His sadness is turning into rage at this point. The tears are gone, but his face is now lobster red. "I RECRUIT WITH THE BEST OF THEM" he lashes out. "I get transfers from Smyrna and Woodbridge. Texting players in season with promises of better access to college programs and solid scholarship opportunities. I bring in players from Pennsylvania to play at a public school in Delaware. I go to the MOT youth league, mostly for the moms, but I know how to recruit 7th and 8th graders."

The rage is now gone, so is the rest of his Natty Light. Its replaced with a sadness felt by a broken man. Barely audible he says with a quivering tone, "They don't respect my ability to recruit high school kids."

This entire time I've just been standing there. My most pressing question remains unanswered, "Dude, how did you get my number?"

• Haha
Reactions: BackinBlack86
Got a text from Coach Lincoln saying that he needed to

haha clever

a8V2Jws.gif

I started this thread to hopefully find factual cases where recruiting has occurred. And no, I wasn’t looking for names/schools.

But you keep giving us the opposite. You’re naming names without providing any evidence. Just a “cmon guys, how does that happen!” and a “don’t get it twisted”.

Help us not get it twisted. Tell us the inner workings of how it all went down. Otherwise it’s school girl gossip.

@Notursmine explained how it's done, albeit in his own "special" way that may require translation for some...🕵️‍♂️

Got a text from Coach Lincoln saying that he needed to talk. For obvious reasons, I immediately responded and we agreed to meet at James Street Tavern within the hour.

As soon as I walk in, I see the 6'4" lanky man slumped over an already 1/2 empty tall boy of Natty Light with a red face and few salty tears running down his cheeks. Concern is my first emotion; "is everything ok" I ask.

He replied, "All this recruiting talk on DEPreps, but all the posters talk about is Middletown this and Smyrna that. They even discuss schools like St Joes Prep, DeMatha, Sparlding and Gilman. GILMAN!! They stink now; haven't recruited even a 3-star 8th grader in years!"

His sadness is turning into rage at this point. The tears are gone, but his face is now lobster red. "I RECRUIT WITH THE BEST OF THEM" he lashes out. "I get transfers from Smyrna and Woodbridge. Texting players in season with promises of better access to college programs and solid scholarship opportunities. I bring in players from Pennsylvania to play at a public school in Delaware. I go to the MOT youth league, mostly for the moms, but I know how to recruit 7th and 8th graders."

The rage is now gone, so is the rest of his Natty Light. Its replaced with a sadness felt by a broken man. Barely audible he says with a quivering tone, "They don't respect my ability to recruit high school kids."

This entire time I've just been standing there. My most pressing question remains unanswered, "Dude, how did you get my number?"
Sir I believe you met with a fraud Coach Lincoln as he stands at a commanding 6'6" 😉

You want a true story.. I heard a prominent coach from a prominent program tell a kid and his pops if he took his kid to such an such private school and not his public school then he could forget about ever being all-state. This particular coach was also in a position to make that happen. This is not hearsay I heard it on tape. The dad recorded the convo just in case he needed it down the road. Never used it but his kid never did make all-state

Last edited:

Same as BiB I heard this conversation myself. A coach, and not even a football coach, was talking to a 7th grader and a parent about coming to a certain school. When told that the kids mom is a teacher at another district the coach said that they would be able to provide the mom with a teaching job in the new district. This was regarding a public school not a private one

National program? What would make anyone think that? Maybe the fact that the only games they can find are against these type of programs. If the DIAA at least try to prioritize teams in each class play each other, Middletown, Smyrna last year wouldn’t have to take such big leaps. Also it’s ironic that now Sallies has absolutely no problem finding in state games when years ago Sallies and Penn had exact same issue, just not to the tune of IMG or teams in national spotlight.

National program? What would make anyone think that? Maybe the fact that the only games they can find are against these type of programs. If the DIAA at least try to prioritize teams in each class play each other, Middletown, Smyrna last year wouldn’t have to take such big leaps. Also it’s ironic that now Sallies has absolutely no problem finding in state games when years ago Sallies and Penn had exact same issue, just not to the tune of IMG or teams in national spotlight.

It's not the schedule so much as the 3 out of state transfers from private schools to a public school in Delaware. Accompanied by three twitter announcements like they were transferring to IMG-DE or something. It is pretty crazy you gotta admit that and the schedule is crazy too and probably the reason they are transferring here.

really I was being sarcastic about the National thing though

where the hell is @MTownCavs09 .. he's been awfully quiet during all this..

He must have gotten the gag order. 🤐
tumblr_mmxrzdqaaF1s852lfo3_500.gif
Well if you wanted to know where I’ve been, I’ve reading and reading only. I wasn’t chiming In because I wasn’t wasting my time arguing with someone who seems to have a personal vendetta against the team. Everyone knows Smyrna isn’t no goody good saint like program itself. Letting players live with coaches so they can play for that program, a student who lived in Dover but decided to transfer to Smyrna. It’s okay when they do something but it’s not when someone else does something, it has to be cheating or whatever else. HELL, Smyrna has TWO players right now that lives in Middletown high school district….so is that recruiting? Or tampering? So I’m not even concerning myself with Smyrnaontop……because they haven’t been on top since Will Knight graduated.

I spoke on here before that I didn’t condone what happened last fall with the ineligible player. Especially if people knew. But they reported on their own mistakes (which doesn’t make it better but they admit to their wrong doings) And DIAA could have easily taken the title away but they didn’t, I wouldn’t have argued with whatever they decided, so that point is mute to me.

concerning the player right now who’s waiver was denied, rules are rules. You CAN NOT play a 5th year in high school (well unless some tragedy happened). The Family knew that I would assume so to me that falls on them. It takes DIAA months to get a meeting scheduled when it concerns waivers or breaking rules so I also blame DIAA for taking their time with the hearing on whether he should be or not, so that student and family can figure out their next step, with only 2 months til school…even though the rules are what they are.

concerning the transfers…..The QB from Maryland saw an opportunity to start right away (which is every players goal, he knew he wasn’t going to at Spalding. I’m not sure where the kid lives but it’s my understanding that there is school choice. There was none when Odessa started but it now has varsity sports so it’s gone. The Safety came down because there’s family in the district from what I hear. So be that as it may. This Deveyon, I just heard about last night and he and his mom bought a house IN town limits which if you look at the district lines means Middletown High School.

this was a lot longer than I had hoped for but I’m not going to go back and forth with a poster or posters on a forum who makes accusations. I’ll let the DIAA, boards, committees handle it all, IF OR WHEN there’s something that needs to be handled. So that’s really my piece on the situation. I know some may call me homer, or blinded or koolaid drinker but I’ve been on this site since 2006, I’ve done far more things regarding this site than most when it comes to covering ALL SCHOOLS not just Middletown so I can say I’m unbiased when it’s called upon....until the actual game starts and then I’m bias.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT