ADVERTISEMENT

How does “recruiting” ACTUALLY work?

Ok I understand, I been around so that made me wonder, why are these kids coming to Middletown? Let’s not even mention D1 or Power 5 colleges because we all know that that’s not the reality of Delaware football recruiting as a whole. But I will challenge to see what schools in Delaware to put their numbers of who sends kids to college no matter what level. I do know that the Appoquinimink school district is in top of the state for Public schools, so maybe that plays a factor. Let’s keep in mind Middletown had 500 students at a time and even then they always had good football teams .

Well if you wanted to know where I’ve been, I’ve reading and reading only. I wasn’t chiming In because I wasn’t wasting my time arguing with someone who seems to have a personal vendetta against the team. Everyone knows Smyrna isn’t no goody good saint like program itself. Letting players live with coaches so they can play for that program, a student who lived in Dover but decided to transfer to Smyrna. It’s okay when they do something but it’s not when someone else does something, it has to be cheating or whatever else. HELL, Smyrna has TWO players right now that lives in Middletown high school district….so is that recruiting? Or tampering? So I’m not even concerning myself with Smyrnaontop……because they haven’t been on top since Will Knight graduated.

I spoke on here before that I didn’t condone what happened last fall with the ineligible player. Especially if people knew. But they reported on their own mistakes (which doesn’t make it better but they admit to their wrong doings) And DIAA could have easily taken the title away but they didn’t, I wouldn’t have argued with whatever they decided, so that point is mute to me.

concerning the player right now who’s waiver was denied, rules are rules. You CAN NOT play a 5th year in high school (well unless some tragedy happened). The Family knew that I would assume so to me that falls on them. It takes DIAA months to get a meeting scheduled when it concerns waivers or breaking rules so I also blame DIAA for taking their time with the hearing on whether he should be or not, so that student and family can figure out their next step, with only 2 months til school…even though the rules are what they are.

concerning the transfers…..The QB from Maryland saw an opportunity to start right away (which is every players goal, he knew he wasn’t going to at Spalding. I’m not sure where the kid lives but it’s my understanding that there is school choice. There was none when Odessa started but it now has varsity sports so it’s gone. The Safety came down because there’s family in the district from what I hear. So be that as it may. This Deveyon, I just heard about last night and he and his mom bought a house IN town limits which if you look at the district lines means Middletown High School.

this was a lot longer than I had hoped for but I’m not going to go back and forth with a poster or posters on a forum who makes accusations. I’ll let the DIAA, boards, committees handle it all, IF OR WHEN there’s something that needs to be handled. So that’s really my piece on the situation. I know some may call me homer, or blinded or koolaid drinker but I’ve been on this site since 2006, I’ve done far more things regarding this site than most when it comes to covering ALL SCHOOLS not just Middletown so I can say I’m unbiased when it’s called upon....until the actual game starts and then I’m bias.
You guys no nothing about the kid from Dover. That was not even close to recruiting. There’s a whole Delaware Online article about it. You know that the kids coming couldn’t point middletown on a map 6 months ago. They were recruited from their previous schools to go to Middletown. Stop lying to yourself. They will get caught people eventually will be fired and the kids will suffer. Middletown is so toxic to delaware highschool sports. Have fun loosing 5 games next year. You frauds!!!!

desperate-housewives-hilarious.gif

Reactions: 84rider
Damn. Seems we struck a nerve with this one fellas. And he’s so confident about those losses, I would assume that Smyrnas got some transfers in the building already with this confidence. Should we do some investigating? Lol. Send some emails to DIAA to check some addresses. I’m sure if you turn over a rock or two down there you’d find something.

Damn. Seems we struck a nerve with this one fellas. And he’s so confident about those losses, I would assume that Smyrnas got some transfers in the building already with this confidence. Should we do some investigating? Lol. Send some emails to DIAA to check some addresses. I’m sure if you turn over a rock or two down there you’d find something.
Addresses Ik Middletown is not talking about addresses especially when the programs best ever player lived in Appo’s school district and not Middletown’s. Stop being a Silly goose and just admit to it like the Mt coaching staff has already done.

I know one Coach who is loving this drama.... you know.. the one that is taking over 302

It might start getting a little crowded in the Fairfield Commons though.. just saying

Last edited:
This is a little over my head, this is obviously personal with the Smyrna / Middletown football thing which I don’t know how. Looking back at it, Middletown in their” recruiting era” has 1 championship. Smyrna has 3 so what exactly is really going on? Look at other sports in de and a lot of teams have had runs that are impressive. Caravel and St.Marks baseball, Sanford in Basketball, Sallies in soccer to name a couple.

woah there Donkey.. you may want to check again

972924ca-3b51-410d-bd30-7b1d88b8c210_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: MTownCavs09
oh in case you guys are wondering about HS NIL

State of play: High school guidelines are determined by each state's athletic association, and similar to college, athlete endorsements can't be affiliated with their school. Nine states sanction high school NIL: Alaska, California, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York and Utah.May 26, 2022

It actually is more than 9 now. it's 12 add in Connecticut, Minnesota and Maine

DELAWARE

Governing Body
: Delaware Interscholastic Athletic Association

State NIL Law: N/A

Governance: Title 14 Education Delaware Administrative Code

Applicable Language: 2.5 Eligibility, Amateur Status

Notes: The current regulations prohibit student-athletes from monetizing their NIL. Further information from the administration concluded that if the regulation should change an update will be provided. Amateurism rules are expected to be reviewed over the next several months.

HSMap_071322-980x551.jpg

My guess is it will be passed in Maryland, PA and DE

*as a side note.. the best RB in Texas transferred to a Cali private. 🏃‍♂️💰

dollar-bill.gif

Last edited:
I do find the transfer announcement funny. It reads like most of the kids who are entering the transfer portal in college. And I get why some people would have issues with it. Might have been safer to just say thanks to the coaches but my family is moving to Middletown and I will be attending Middletown high school. Then coaches that are following you will now know where to look

I do find the transfer announcement funny. It reads like most of the kids who are entering the transfer portal in college. And I get why some people would have issues with it. Might have been safer to just say thanks to the coaches but my family is moving to Middletown and I will be attending Middletown high school. Then coaches that are following you will now know where to look

Well assuming you believe the Mom bought a house story..besides there are three announcements just like this. The QB from Maryland and the kid from Roman posted pretty much the exact thing. lol Middletown must be really blessed to have such good fortune that 4 folks from PA and MD all decided to move to Middletown, DE whom all just happen to have kids who are D1 caliber football players..oh just so happens to be when they are playing IMG, SJC and Massillon.. That's some crazy good luck .. 🍀🧲 Guess we will see how it plays out for them on the field.. Should be an interesting season anyway

Well assuming you believe the Mom bought a house story..besides there are three announcements just like this. The QB from Maryland and the kid from Roman posted pretty much the exact thing. lol Middletown must be really blessed to have such good fortune that 4 folks from PA and MD all decided to move to Middletown, DE whom all just happen to have kids who are D1 caliber football players..oh just so happens to be when they are playing IMG, SJC and Massillon.. That's some crazy good luck .. 🍀🧲 Guess we will see how it plays out for them on the field.. Should be an interesting season anyway
Oh I definitely don't believe that coincidence lol. But yes it should be an interesting season for sure

There’s a difference in getting a kid from Glasgow than getting kids from Roman Catholic and Spalding. Why do you think the kid transferred. He wanted to compete against better talent and be with better talent. I don’t consider it recruiting when a kid wants to go to a school on his own to either play with and against better competition or get more playing time.

just fyi.. what you laid out here would be a violation of 2.4.6.. would also apply to some of MT's current xfers

2.4.6 Transfers for Athletic Advantage - The exceptions listed in subsection 2.4.4 of this regulation shall not apply if the transfer was for athletic advantage. If the student transfers for athletic advantage, the student may still request a waiver of the transfer rule. A transfer for athletic advantage includes but is not limited to any transfer where the primary reason for student's transfer was for any of the following:

2.4.6.1 To seek a superior team.

2.4.6.2 To seek a team more compatible with student’s abilities;

2.4.6.3 Dissatisfaction with the student’s position or playing time;

2.4.6.4 The student follows the coach to another school to which the coach has transferred;

2.4.6.5 Dissatisfaction with the philosophy, policies, methods, or actions of a coach or administrator pertaining to interscholastic athletics;

2.4.6.6 To avoid disciplinary action imposed by another state athletic association;

2.4.6.7 To avoid disciplinary action imposed by the sending school related to or affecting interscholastic athletic participation.

Last edited:

also the young man turned 18 in May so he can live where he wants which makes the parents moving point moot anyway.

National program? What would make anyone think that? Maybe the fact that the only games they can find are against these type of programs. If the DIAA at least try to prioritize teams in each class play each other, Middletown, Smyrna last year wouldn’t have to take such big leaps. Also it’s ironic that now Sallies has absolutely no problem finding in state games when years ago Sallies and Penn had exact same issue, just not to the tune of IMG or teams in national spotlight.

The only problem with this theory is DMA was practically on their knees begging MT to schedule them. MT refused and scheduled IMG instead.. MT is not so scary where regular teams from MD, NJ or PA won't schedule them. They are not SFA lol.. They sought out these games for a purpose and I know who put them up to it. That sleazy clown from Jersey who schedules OOS games for rogue recruited up teams. Whom also is responsible for the Bishop Sycamore debacle on ESPN. Some crazy shit going on in HS football these days

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Woody_Wood
I heard about the DMA proposal, I also was told that since Middletown went up to Division 1 in 2001 they never played a Division 2 team on their schedule. What that has to do with now or going cross country and beyond for games. Against superior teams ,I couldn’t begin to say!

I heard about the DMA proposal, I also was told that since Middletown went up to Division 1 in 2001 they never played a Division 2 team on their schedule. What that has to do with now or going cross country and beyond for games. Against superior teams ,I couldn’t begin to say!

Technically not true, they played IMG in 2018 lol

When did Glasgow and Christiana drop to D2?

With the new system it is no longer a point disadvantage by playing down a class or even 2 classes. It is actually an advantage playing one of the better class 2A or 1A teams over playing a bad 3A team in that you would have an opportunity for bonus points from opponents win percentage. But yeah MT has there own agenda right now.

Not true. The first year Appo had a varsity program they were put on Middletown schedule and they were considered D2 that year. IMG is also considered D2 in the old system. I’m sure there were other instances but I can’t remember at the moment

Ok but you get what I’m saying!! Appo of course because the Distric and IMG is D2 based on enrollment . That year they played Middletown how many D1 recruits and 5 star recruits did they mace? Now far as other instances, in the last 20 years I guarantee you can’t name any instate D2 schools they played .

Ok but you get what I’m saying!! Appo of course because the Distric and IMG is D2 based on enrollment . That year they played Middletown how many D1 recruits and 5 star recruits did they mace? Now far as other instances, in the last 20 years I guarantee you can’t name any instate D2 schools they played .
Oh no, you’re right.

Sallies has there own pool of money Jeff Bezos step dad went there and donated $20 million for the financial aid pool. Also many other alumni donate to this pool. If you need financial aid they will give to you. They have the resources to make it happen. This is for any kid not just athletes. I know people who went there and many of them were on financial aid. Not many people pay the full price or use loans to go there. Saint Marks and St E’s is a little different they are part of the Diocese of Wilmington and they share their financial aid with all the schools in the diocese. They don’t have as much money to use so they can’t accept as many students as Sallies does.
There is no shared money. Each school can determine its financial aid based off the application. I do know that that number can change though for whatever reason. Financial aid is in actuality fake money. It’s basically saying you can pay this instead of The actual price.

I been reading a bunch of this thread and I will tell you from first hand experience with my kid…..coaches and enrolled athletes at the school call to recruit. Got several calls from Prep schools, ranging from $30k to $60k/per year. Is there a financial aid part? Yes! They collect your financials, tax returns, etc. That is a factor, but if they want you, you are getting a lot. We never got a 100% free deal, but we were around $5k out of pocket for most of the schools. Around $10k out of pocket for the $60k schools. It started in 8th grade and continued through the end of 10th. Seems like they were all looking for at least a 2 year commitment.

I been reading a bunch of this thread and I will tell you from first hand experience with my kid…..coaches and enrolled athletes at the school call to recruit. Got several calls from Prep schools, ranging from $30k to $60k/per year. Is there a financial aid part? Yes! They collect your financials, tax returns, etc. That is a factor, but if they want you, you are getting a lot. We never got a 100% free deal, but we were around $5k out of pocket for most of the schools. Around $10k out of pocket for the $60k schools. It started in 8th grade and continued through the end of 10th. Seems like they were all looking for at least a 2 year commitment.

Are you talking about private schools in Delaware or are you talking about Prep schools like, Hun, Hill, Peddie, Blair, Deerfield, St Thomas More, etc.?. The Prep schools aren't under any State High School Athletic Association rules and recruiting is vital to their survival. They have been doing it for years. If you sign your kid up for any of the camps or combines like NUC, Rivals etc. or sign up on any of the college recruiting sites like "get recruited" or whatever you will get contacted by those schools. That's how they get your contact info. Those Prep school have their own classification and aren't even ranked with regular high schools in football. Most state associations don't allow their teams to play them either. But yes recruiting is a big part of what they do.

Last edited:
Are you talking about private schools in Delaware or are you talking about Prep schools like, Hun, Hill, Peddie, Blair, Deerfield, St Thomas More, etc.?. The Prep schools aren't under any State High School Athletic Association rules and recruiting is vital to their survival. They have been doing it for years. If you sign your kid up for any of the camps or combines like NUC, Rivals etc. or sign up on any of the college recruiting sites like "get recruited" or whatever you will get contacted by those schools. That's how they get your contact info. Those Prep school have their own classification and aren't even ranked with regular high schools in football. Most state associations don't allow their teams to play them either. But yes recruiting is a big part of what they do.
Yes, talking about out of state prep schools. They can even reclassify your grade. After our freshman year, one contacted us and wanted to classify him as a Freshman again, so he would get more 4 years.

Yes, talking about out of state prep schools. They can even reclassify your grade. After our freshman year, one contacted us and wanted to classify him as a Freshman again, so he would get more 4 years.
yep they do that too.. but they are not masquerading as regular high school teams and trying to win state titles etc.. They play in their own leagues of like schools. Not a bad option and they are legitimate well respected institutions with connections in the real world. Definitely a consideration if needed and their degrees have value. . Much better option than the Pop Up Post Grad programs. You wont get the looks as you would from say a DeMatha, St Thomas Aquinas, Mater Dei, Good Counsel, Don Bosco, Bergen Catholic and others of that ilk. nowhere close but those are different animals.. except Blair Academy for Wrestling and Hill for Lax etc. Those kids are heavily recruited by NCAA coaches for those sports

Last edited:
Reactions: DelaNewb
It had to be said before but is “fat” twidder Phil = Smyrnaontop? A lot of the same rhetoric.
@MightyMik sounds like TP hurt his feelings before or is a Mtown/DMA fan…He does say some crazy things but you can’t argue with the picture above…Has the TP account bashed you or did you just feel the need to include “Fat” cause you were bored? Lol. (Hope you never see me in person) lol.

@MightyMik sounds like TP hurt his feelings before or is a Mtown/DMA fan…He does say some crazy things but you can’t argue with the picture above…Has the TP account bashed you or did you just feel the need to include “Fat” cause you were bored? Lol. (Hope you never see me in person) lol.
Never been bashed by TP…that would be an honor by a keyboard warrior such as himself to worry about a commoner. As for the fat turn it was mean but also true since I’ve known him since grade school. Also not a fan of Mtown/DMA there fans are to much at times, if you look back I’ve been here since early 2000 and a proud Yellow Jacket. Although not much to be proud of since I played there but such is life. I can remember the days people would laugh at Smyrna for being consistently bad. Coach after coach hoping for greatness but all failing. The great Bummy on here use to be a big Smyrna pusher but that was before they got good.

Never been bashed by TP…that would be an honor by a keyboard warrior such as himself to worry about a commoner. As for the fat turn it was mean but also true since I’ve known him since grade school. Also not a fan of Mtown/DMA there fans are to much at times, if you look back I’ve been here since early 2000 and a proud Yellow Jacket. Although not much to be proud of since I played there but such is life. I can remember the days people would laugh at Smyrna for being consistently bad. Coach after coach hoping for greatness but all failing. The great Bummy on here use to be a big Smyrna pusher but that was before they got good.
I haven’t seen a lot of the posts until recently but it reads as the page is calling out cosches who do illegal HS stuff where you called out a person for his body type….in that moment it kind of sounds like a keyboard warrior to me.

I haven’t seen a lot of the posts until recently but it reads as the page is calling out cosches who do illegal HS stuff where you called out a person for his body type….in that moment it kind of sounds like a keyboard warrior to me.
@MightyMik I just went through and scrolled for a while….it seems like a pretty positive page towards kids from different schools (obviously mainly Smyrna) but overall I don’t see a whole lot of keyboard warrior except Middletown/DMA….and doesn’t sound like you enjoy those schools either.

Yeah @MightyMik, no body shaming and from now please use the proper pronouns….smh, these are amazing times we’re living in. DEfootballfan6, read some more posts if you think calling someone fat is worthy of keyboard warrior status, geesh

My apologize I forgot we are in the era of pussification and no one has tough skin anymore. I miss the day when some could make a joke and no feelings were hurt so easily. How did I ever make it through the Christiana school district???

Reactions: 84rider
ADVERTISEMENT