ADVERTISEMENT

Roosters Rankings

one that has the whole playbook at his disposal.

Yeah that would be a great QB but hardly any QB ever has whole playbook at disposal. For Smyrna Nolan may have been close since he was at the helm for so long but I wouldn’t call him great.

But still to my point a great QB isn’t needed.

Yes Smyrna does require a top notch Qb to be great. They can be above average with the Qb and players they have now but won’t be winning a championship.

Don’t need to be great to win the state just sometimes just have to be good and smarter than the other coach. Example last two Smyrna chips. Dinardo had Judy’s number the first one kids unfortunately made some bad plays.

Since when does Smyrna's system need a good QB?
They just went earthquake and ran will knight without a QB the last 2-3 state championship games.
They know their bread and butter and a QB isnt involved

RR.... I agree that Earthquake won’t be the Mr. Fix it play this season to win the championship but outside of Middletown no one in the state has been able to consistently slow the spread offense down. Sallies did it in states and Central one year when they controlled the ball enough to make it close. So don’t be shocked to see Smyrna again win the Hen North easily

Since when does Smyrna's system need a good QB?
They just went earthquake and ran will knight without a QB the last 2-3 state championship games.
They know their bread and butter and a QB isnt involved
Fine they need a good Qb or one of the best running backs ever in this state.

Yes, but the threat was there.

There was no passing threat from QB in the state games the last two seasons. Henderson and Wilson spent most of their time watching Knight and another back run Earthquake offense from the sideline against Middletown.

2016 Henderson 3-9 18 yds (avg 18 passes/game)
2017 Wilson 1-2 2 yds (avg 20 passes/game)

There was no passing threat from QB in the state games the last two seasons. Henderson and Wilson spent most of their time watching Knight and another back run Earthquake offense from the sideline against Middletown.

And you think that wasn’t their game plan? Keep the clock moving and keep Fry off the field? You guys are funny at times. But Smyrna also has had 1st team WR last 2yrs, or am I wrong?

And you think that wasn’t their game plan? Keep the clock moving and keep Fry off the field? You guys are funny at times. But Smyrna also has had 1st team WR last 2yrs, or am I wrong?

Swagdog... First let me revisit your "WK didn't throw for 150+yds & 2tds in the semis last year". No he did not 150+ and 2 tds and neither did Wilson. He throw 137....lol but Knight did run for 158 and 3 TDs and completed a pass himself.

But your original statement was "Your not winning a D1 State title without a very capable QB at your disposal." And it was proven that Smyrna has won the last 2 state titles without the use of the prototypical use of a QB. Middletown has consistently done a good job of defending Smyrna's base set resulting in "Earthquake" as being their primary offense because Mtown has yet to effectively stop it.

Fry is a good QB but he is not Brady. And I know the previous gameplan for Smyrna has not been to control the ball and clock with "Earthquake". Both years they tried running their offense and after minimal success went to the power set in order to move the ball and both years in the 3rd to 4th qtrs they tried revisiting their base offense to get only be stuffed and revert back to what works.

Blum has schemed well for the spread but cannot stop the power run. However with this years Mtown team they may very well use Earthquake as you say to control the ball because I don't believe Smyrna's defense good enough to stop Mtown's offense or at least contain it as it has done previously.

Swagdog... First let me revisit your "WK didn't throw for 150+yds & 2tds in the semis last year". No he did not 150+ and 2 tds and neither did Wilson. He throw 137....lol but Knight did run for 158 and 3 TDs and completed a pass himself.

But your original statement was "Your not winning a D1 State title without a very capable QB at your disposal." And it was proven that Smyrna has won the last 2 state titles without the use of the prototypical use of a QB. Middletown has consistently done a good job of defending Smyrna's base set resulting in "Earthquake" as being their primary offense because Mtown has yet to effectively stop it.

Fry is a good QB but he is not Brady. And I know the previous gameplan for Smyrna has not been to control the ball and clock with "Earthquake". Both years they tried running their offense and after minimal success went to the power set in order to move the ball and both years in the 3rd to 4th qtrs they tried revisiting their base offense to get only be stuffed and revert back to what works.

Blum has schemed well for the spread but cannot stop the power run. However with this years Mtown team they may very well use Earthquake as you say to control the ball because I don't believe Smyrna's defense good enough to stop Mtown's offense or at least contain it as it has done previously.

You mean this average QB lol
God your a idiot

Prep....once again here you come saying the dumbest things. First let me say this Wilson is a good kid. I had the fortune to work with him. He has great tools a great student still very raw and hope he is learning at the next to hopefully have a successful career.

After saying that prep please go back and show me where I said Wilson or Henderson were bad QBs. Never said that. The topic started saying Smyrnas system needed a great QB to be successful which it does not because most of the coaches have show incapable of defending it by scheme or personnel or both. The. We when to you can’t win a D1 state title without a capable QB which again Smyrna proves because they won without using a traditional QB for the majority of their state games the last two seasons.

So again before you come in here pounding your chest like you know everything sit down, be quiet and read....smh

My bad, so I was off by 20yds or so. And if my memory serves me right WK was shut down the 1st three quarters in that semi game while Wilson was dropping dimes and TDs, THEN WK got his yds/TDs when the game was out of reach....... Anyway, what was ur point of the post? That I was off by 20yds or that Fry isn’t Brady? Or that Smyrna can’t stop the run game?
You are all over the place.

You mean this average QB lol
God your a idiot

He sounds so stupid. The only 2 QB’s that got D1 scholarships in the entire state of DE are Smyrna QBs! So is he saying they got D1 scholarships because of the “rumble package” or whatever they call it?
Straight up ignorance if you think Smyrna would have made it to a Championship game without Henderson or Wilson.

My bad, so I was off by 20yds or so. And if my memory serves me right WK was shut down the 1st three quarters in that semi game while Wilson was dropping dimes and TDs, THEN WK got his yds/TDs when the game was out of reach....... Anyway, what was ur point of the post? That I was off by 20yds or that Fry isn’t Brady? Or that Smyrna can’t stop the run game?
You are all over the place.

First sarcasm about the yardage but again the statement is winning at state title not get to state not winning semis. I am not all over the place I was rsponding to your statements (questions) about gameplan. Smyrna didn’t not win the state because of their QBs the 2 QBs help them get there definitely. Even though I believe they would have gotten to the title game with lesser talent at the position, but Fry was there, threw and lost. So your statement of “not winning a D1 state title w/o a very capable qb at your disposal” is not valid and you have yet to show how the QB has won them the “TITLE”.

Also I never said anything about Smyrna stopping a run game.

He sounds so stupid. The only 2 QB’s that got D1 scholarships in the entire state of DE are Smyrna QBs! So is he saying they got D1 scholarships because of the “rumble package” or whatever they call it?
Straight up ignorance if you think Smyrna would have made it to a Championship game without Henderson or Wilson.

Why do you think Smyrna has been the only school in recent years to send a QB D1 as a QB? Let me help you out 1) this is HS a football not a lot of great deal of D1 quarterbacks especially of the drop back kid because a lot of kids can’t grasp the teaching of reading a defense nor coaches take the time to develop this. 2) this is Delaware Home of the Wing T offense where the run game is lord and most of the state coaches run that or some variation of it. It is widely know and discussed that DE HS is roughly 10-15 yrs behind most states in style of play. the state is slowing turning from that as young coaches get hired and roster types change but it is difficult because 3) it takes time to build up a qb and because DIAA limits interaction time it takes a system, time and a coach willing to build a qb in that manner and as of now you will get drop back or RPO passing from only a handful of schools.

A college scout can really care less if you throw for 2-3 thousand. They want to know a QB understanding of an offense, what kind of arm he has, decent mechanics, can he process and get ball out quick amongst some other things. Only Henderson, Wilson, Fry and and couple of others have shown that the last couple of years but again what started this Henderson and Wilson was not factors in Smyrna winning the title game the last 2 years... sorry but true

Why do you think Smyrna has been the only school in recent years to send a QB D1 as a QB? Let me help you out 1) this is HS a football not a lot of great deal of D1 quarterbacks especially of the drop back kid because a lot of kids can’t grasp the teaching of reading a defense nor coaches take the time to develop this. 2) this is Delaware Home of the Wing T offense where the run game is lord and most of the state coaches run that or some variation of it. It is widely know and discussed that DE HS is roughly 10-15 yrs behind most states in style of play. the state is slowing turning from that as young coaches get hired and roster types change but it is difficult because 3) it takes time to build up a qb and because DIAA limits interaction time it takes a system, time and a coach willing to build a qb in that manner and as of now you will get drop back or RPO passing from only a handful of schools.

A college scout can really care less if you throw for 2-3 thousand. They want to know a QB understanding of an offense, what kind of arm he has, decent mechanics, can he process and get ball out quick amongst some other things. Only Henderson, Wilson, Fry and and couple of others have shown that the last couple of years but again what started this Henderson and Wilson was not factors in Smyrna winning the title game the last 2 years... sorry but true
Not true. If it was true you would have some facts to back it up. But the fact is that Henderson and Wilson were the QBs of those championship teams and both had hella TDs and yards throughout the entire season. That's a fact because it can be proven!

Now I will give you some info that backs up my statement that you need a good, very capable, QB in order to win/play for a Championship. The 6 teams that made it to the playoffs in D1 last year had the best 6 QBs in D1 last year.
True of False?

Not true. If it was true you would have some facts to back it up. But the fact is that Henderson and Wilson were the QBs of those championship teams and both had hella TDs and yards throughout the entire season. That's a fact because it can be proven!

I believe in order to be state champions you have to win the championship game. All games prior just say if you had a great, okay or bad season. Again both QBs had good seasons be they had no effect on winning the championship. The fact to prove it is

That takes nothing away from their talent or the year they had but the same way it can say a team didn’t win because they had no passing game or qb played bad or line didn’t block is the same way you can say they team won without playing a qb or good passing game.

It’s HS football and it can happen.

Now I will give you some info that backs up my statement that you need a good, very capable, QB in order to win/play for a Championship. The 6 teams that made it to the playoffs in D1 last year had the best 6 QBs in D1 last year.
True of False?

False in two ways. Sallies QB was solid I would put him #2 and Poly’s QB was better the Penn’s. But the other way arguably the maybe 2nd and maybe 4th or 5th best QBs were injured.

I would rank them as QBs last year top 10
Fry (Mtown)
Gwynn (Sallies)
Phillips (Appo)
Henry (Hodgson)
Wilson (Smyrna)
Kid from CR
McGee (Dover)
Kid from Poly
Ogbin (Fromerly Penn)
Then I guess Barnes more of an athlete than a QB to me

True of False?
@SwagDog ... so which one is your kid ?

False in two ways. Sallies QB was solid I would put him #2 and Poly’s QB was better the Penn’s. But the other way arguably the maybe 2nd and maybe 4th or 5th best QBs were injured.

I would rank them as QBs last year top 10
Fry (Mtown)
Gwynn (Sallies)
Phillips (Appo)
Henry (Hodgson)
Wilson (Smyrna)
Kid from CR
McGee (Dover)
Kid from Poly
Ogbin (Fromerly Penn)
Then I guess Barnes more of an athlete than a QB to me
I forgot about the Sallies kid. But how can you count kids that were out for the season due to injury? They didn't play. So take them away and you are pretty much right where I said (minus the Sallies kid).

CR qb was Wagenhoffer or as I affectionately called him Hasenpfeffer lo
Dover QB is Magee he is not a Mc lol​

If Magee didnt get injured he would would be further up the list.. wasn't Phillips injured all year? Thats what all the hubaloo about him making Blue Gold was about

I would have it

Fry
Gwynn
Henry
Wagenhoffer
Wilson
Kane

Trader from Delmar came in and did a great job running things when their starter went down as well

But had Phillips and Magee not gOt injured they would have been in top 5 IMHO

Last edited:
CR qb was Wagenhoffer or as I affectionately called him Hasenpfeffer lo
Dover QB is Magee he is not a Mc lol​

If Magee didnt get injured he would would be further up the list.. wasn't Phillips injured all year? Thats what all the hubaloo about him making Blue Gold was about

I would have it

Fry
Gwynn
Henry
Wagenhoffer
Wilson
Kane

Trader from Delmar came in and did a great job running things when their starter went down as well

But had Phillips and Magee not gOt injured they would have been in top 5 IMHO

RR... he said D1 so didn’t mention any of the D2 kids I liked. Wagenhoffer might have been higher just wish he was in a different system. So unsure. Same can be said about Kane.

The earthquake offense in its prime is gone for ever. It may still work a little but the breakaway long runs are gone. WK made it what it was with his great explosiveness. It's gone forever.

I think the combo of Peace and Magee could make it work. Well if the Dover coaches know know how to coach it

Last edited:
STech Kane not Woodbridge

Yes I knew which one you were talking about. I hopefully we will get to see more from him but the couple times I seen ST in action even though it was pistol very heavy run oriented and the passes were mainly deep bombs and a couple of rollouts but still deep bombs. Hardly any short to intermediate throws. Partially my preference but I like to see if the QB can make the quick decision and get the ball out. Don't believe in 70-80% of your throws should be plus 20 yards.

To me a Good QB can run the O and make the throws when needed but most of all leads the offense. Modern or not. I will concede the QB as a position is marginalized in a single Wing, wildcat or earthquake whatever you want to call it

Last edited:
Prep....once again here you come saying the dumbest things. First let me say this Wilson is a good kid. I had the fortune to work with him. He has great tools a great student still very raw and hope he is learning at the next to hopefully have a successful career.

After saying that prep please go back and show me where I said Wilson or Henderson were bad QBs. Never said that. The topic started saying Smyrnas system needed a great QB to be successful which it does not because most of the coaches have show incapable of defending it by scheme or personnel or both. The. We when to you can’t win a D1 state title without a capable QB which again Smyrna proves because they won without using a traditional QB for the majority of their state games the last two seasons.

So again before you come in here pounding your chest like you know everything sit down, be quiet and read....smh

Pound sand

Prep.... exactly
Read your own shit

“The topic started saying Smyrnas system needed a great QB to be successful which it does not because most of the coaches have show incapable of defending it by scheme or personnel or both”

They just had two D1 QBs man don’t get much better then that. Think it proves the opposite of what you said. Voice of complete bullshit shoud be your name

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT