8. DMA
9. Charter
10. Dover
11. Appo
12. Polytech
13. AI
14. Sussex Tech
15. Tatnall

Sallies is the gold standard for the state of DE it will take a perfect game for anyone in state to beat them and that might not be enough.

Archmere Cape and THill are close and the only teams that can possibly knock Sallies off.

CR Stmarks Friends and DMA are all talented but after that the level of competition really falls off.

Just my opinion lets hear what everyone else thinks.

I'm thinking that Archmere and Tower Hill won't be nearly as good as they were last year. I also feel that you're underestimating St. Marks a little bit, but I completely agree that after 8 spots there is a huge drop-off in talent and depth this year. I don't think any Delaware team has a great chance of staying with Sallies, maybe Cape or St. Marks.

All the more reason DE.needs to move to a two or even three Division system.Public, Private,Large Schools and Small Schools..

I don't agree with the Division split. Yes Sallies is winning now but they haven't always won. Teams like Tower Hill won only a few years ago. Cape Henlopen, Tatnall, St. Andrew. Half of the 2000s Cape was dominating the championships, we didn't want to split than. You can't split based off of normal divisions in Delaware because DII would be too strong (TH, Tatnall, Friends, St. Andrew to name a few) In DI you would have Sallies and Cape and CR dominating with the occasional St. Marks thrown in there (they were in the championship back in 2004 with St. Andrews)

Leave it to ONE state champion and not two or three.

Now that Sallies has won every championship since 2007, don't you think their recruiting will only get stronger? The better players in the pennsylvania and northern delaware areas will be flooding in there to win a state championship and have better hopes of getting recruited at the collegiate level.
This post was edited on 3/20 9:52 AM by baseballisboring

Can't split LOL.You mention a hand full of teams .Last time I looked there where over 40 High school teams in the state.. Make three Divisions.D 1 the better teams D 2the next 10-12 teams D 3 the rest. If you finish last in D 1 you play D 2 the next year ,if you win D2 you play D 1 the next year and so on..

What you are proposing would never happen. Although I agree with your thinking there it wont happen. The state will try and stay consistant with DI and DII (school population). Not actual talent level.

baseballisboring may have mispoke. While the Sals have been "in" every championship final since 2007 they have not "won" every championship. Cape beat the Sals 8 to 7 in the 2008 final and Tower Hill defeated the Sals in the 2010 final 5 to 4 in OT. The Sals were favored in both those finals after going undefeated in state in both years. The Sals have better teams now then they had in those years but history shows upsets can happen.

My preseason Top 10 is:

1) Salesianum
2) Wilmington Friends
3) Cape Henlopen
4) Caesar Rodney
5) Archmere
6) St. Mark's
7) Tower Hill
8) Wilmington Charter
9) DMA
10) Tatnall

Sallies is by far the best team and should win the state championship handedly.

Cape, CR, Friends and Arch are all capable of going far in the tournament, but all besides Cape and Friends lost a majority of their production. Cape has Benson who is a top player in the state, and Friends has a phenomenal senior class with Kirkpatrick, Davis, Tracy, and Carney. So those two come in 2 and 3 for me, with CR and Archmere at 4 and 5 respectively.

St. Mark's is going to be a good team this spring with alot of quality returning players defensively and attackman Joe Giannaris. Tower Hill lost a ton but still have sophomore attackman Andrew Pettit, and senior midfielder Will Mette (Colgate), there are still alot of talented players on this TH squad. There is a good case for both of these teams to be in the 2-5 slots but i just don't think they are as deep as the others.

Charter, DMA and Tatnall will be the top dogs of the second tier and you could even throw in Dover and Polytech to that mix but Tatnall's goalie Montgomery is a stud, and keeps Tatnall in alot of games.

This post was edited on 3/20 1:37 PM by DEPhenom72

Originally posted by panther2superbee:

They need to look at Marylands MIAA.They have an A/B/C Division and its bassed on talent..
Maryland also has at least 4 times the teams that Delaware has. This has been discussed in the basketball thread as well and I have been against it in every sport. Football I understand on a shear number basis why there is a split. I just have never understood why people want to make it easier to win a state championship. It is a great honor to win one and I believe would be tarnished by creating more than one. Its called a state champion for a reason not a division champion.

So you are saying that you support making it easier for the smaller schools to win a state championship in football, but not in any other sport?

baller 1030 again needs to look at Maryland MIA Total 27 teams..3 divisions A-10 teams ,B-7 teams,and C-10 teams..Sure everyone would agree that the A champ would be the best overall team,but at least the compitation thru the season within each would be competive..

Can we please stop this discussion, there is no way that DE can have multiple divisions in lacrosse because there just isnt that much diversity in the the sport of the number of schools that offer programs, as well as diversity in the level of play. Just because salesianum goes to the state championship every year doesnt mean you have to complain about making multi divisions in the sports. Look at the PIAA they have private and public schools in there league with probably 10 times the amoutn of teams than that of delaware since it goes through the entire state of pa, and its the same 2 teams the play for the championship in the past 6 years conestoga or Lasalle. And in the past 20 years the winner of the PIAA tournament has either been from the catholic league or central league of pa yet i dont hear any of them complaining about breaking up into multiple divisions just because a team wins all the time and that thier are also teams that havent won and will never win a title during there entire programs history. Buckup play hard and stop complaining.

Buckup play hard and get your players from Northern DE, Southeast PA (an area loaded with lacrosse talent), and Northeast MD. It is an unfair advantage for the private schools to pull in kids from out of state to compete against Delaware public schools. There should be a private school champion and a public school champion in all sports in Delaware.

Coming from Delmar who is the only public school in the state that gets kids from Delaware and Maryland.

o yea that makes sense make a division with 10 teams and another one with 30 there are to few schools in delaware to break up into divisions plain and simple and if you guys havent notices salesianum has won cross country championship for over ten years straight yet i dont hear anyone complaining about that.

This is not about how many Champs the state turns out.If DE.wants to become a Lacrosse hot bed like MD and NY has been for years they need to level the playing field ,get more kids involved ,more schools involved..That makes for more competive competition..There are clearly three levels of Lax in the state..The good the bad and the ugly..Looks like three divisions to me..And why not 10 teams in a division..MD MIAA has that, and maybe the best Lax in the country..They got that way by playing each other..Not by stoomping weaker teams..

Arguing on the message boards about how DIAA runs their athletics isn't going to change or accomplish anything. back to the original topic. A couple games into the season, how would you change your rankings? Laxpower isn't much help at this point in the season (right now they have Indian River ranked 1 in the state). I have had the opportunity to see some of these top 15 play and from 8 or 9 down, I can definately see some changes at this point in the season.

Nobody cares about cross country.

I count 18 privates and charters, and 24 public schools playing lacrosse in DE. Not an even split, but close enough for two fairly won championships in lacrosse. It won't happen, so I don't really lose any sleep over the situation.

Seems to me that there are two issues here:

First, raise the level of play for all schools in Delaware and,
Second, create an opportunity for teams other than Salesianum to win a state championship.

How's this for a solution...

If the Sallies program continues to grow and succeed as in recent years, they should field an elite varsity team that plays only out of state. And, with well over 120 kids trying out, that would allow them to carry four teams: including in state varsity, JV and Frosh/developmental teams.

Realistically, a team comprised of Sallies 2015/16 kids would easily win the states - and would include predominantly Wilm Wings grads with only a couple PA kids. There are some very good players who may never see the varsity field for Salesianum. If this continues, and the elite team approach doesn't happen, I expect that you'll see kids transfer or choose other schools out of 8th grade. Or, worse for the sport, force the kids to focus on their club teams. Ultimately, this may create parity as expectations are confronted with reality...players AND parents!

Sallies should be applauded for scheduling more competitive games. 17-1 and 17-0 isn't fun for anyone - players or fans. And worse, should running time ever occur in the state tournament? No!! Last year's Sallies run was 59-6...goals for/against. Hardly competitive or interesting with running clocks in every playoff game.

And remember...this can change all so quickly. It wasn't that long ago that Tatnall and/or TH were the top dog programs.

Make sense?

so we can look to md and ny for guidance because they are hotbeds but your going to say that pa isnt a hotbed you obviously no nothing about the sport and again if you look at new jersey who has top teams such as summit, delbarton, bridwater, montclair etc they have only one division. the level of play is to small and the number of schools is to small for there to be multiple divisions if lacrosse in de expands then yes put in more divisions but stop compairing delaware to lalrge state programs. And if you haven realized yet Miaa is only private schools, the md publlic school league has over a hundred schools that play in it with the same 4 usually going to the championship every year, stopp thinking just because you make more divisions that your school will win a championship, stop worrying about accolades and worry about actually playing get over the fact the the diaa will not make more divisions and that your schools will never in a lifetime wine a state championship let alone a league title. And no one cares about delmar the program is a joke and will be easily defeated by cape

Wow what a prediction one of the largest schools in the state will beat the smallest.Now that is real Lax knowledge Jule2211... I'v seen Delmar play once and where there lax skills are not the best they do play hard ..Far from a joke.In fact they beat a Tech school that they had never beaten before..No place for calling out High School Program I'm sure those kids work as hard as the rest of the athletes in the state!!

Sorry Jule2211, you are the joke on this forum. Your post smacks of Saliies elitism. I have no illusions of Delmar ever winning the State Championship in lacrosse. In fact, I think Cape and CR are the teams getting robbed by Sallies and their ability to draw players from all over. I expect Cape will have a great team this season, but they stand no chance of beating Sallies. Two league champions isn't too much to ask for in Delaware. "Let them Eat Cake."

Delaware already has D1 and D2 in Football, Wrestling, Track, and Soccer.. Why not the rest of the sports?? Its coming

Jule, pump the brakes. Its a forum to discuss sports in delaware, not your avenue to vent your saltiness about other peoples posts or to knock the programs of other schools.
This post was edited on 4/4 8:58 PM by baseballisboring

Originally posted by panther2superbee:

This is not about how many Champs the state turns out.If DE.wants to become a Lacrosse hot bed like MD and NY has been for years they need to level the playing field ,get more kids involved ,more schools involved..That makes for more competive competition..There are clearly three levels of Lax in the state..The good the bad and the ugly..Looks like three divisions to me..And why not 10 teams in a division..MD MIAA has that, and maybe the best Lax in the country..They got that way by playing each other..Not by stoomping weaker teams..

Here is the issue.. DIAA is a public school entity and they will rule accordingly.. that is not going to change, The reason the MIAA has become what it has is they succeeded from the state govt rule and formed their own thing.. The ONLY way this happens in DE is if the privates do the same thing,, They would have to succeed from DIAA and form their own association.. IF they did then yes they could have two divisions and base the sports divisions on performance like they do.. As long as it is public school conrtrolled ( DIAA) it will always be based on enrollment numbers... Personally I think the MIAA and MPSSAA has it right... Unfortunately as long as the privates are under Govt control it will remain as it is...

The argument DE is too small is nonsense... DE has a higher percentage of privates than MD or most states.. Look at the MIAA it has 30 schools and WCAC just 8....

Lets look at a potential DE private school Association...

Salesianum
St Marks
St Elizabeths
Caravel
St Andrews
Tatnall
Tower Hill
Archmere
St Thomas More
Wilmington Christian
Red Lion
Sanford
Wilmington Friends
Layton Prep

Thats 14 schools... an easy 7 and 7 A and B division and based on strength in sport like MIAA...

The only issue is DIAA has a rule if you are a DE school and not a DIAA member then then DIAA schools cant play you.. This is nonsense because a DIAA schools can play any other schools from other states that are not DIAA.. So you would need a list like MD has for non DIAA teams ok to play..

The only school this option hurts is Sallies as they are way above the others in most sports.. BUT the others would catch up to the competition without the handcuffs DIAA puts on them.. Just like in the MIAA all the schools were able to up the ante to compete in their division

Just food for thought

This post was edited on 4/4 10:13 PM by ravensrooster2

Can't we all just enjoy high school sports for what it is, and drop these nonsensical battles over divisions?

Originally posted by Sportsmrty7:
Can't we all just enjoy high school sports for what it is, and drop these nonsensical battles over divisions?
Because it is not what it is and used to be... Times have changed.. Why should a program like Sanford Basketball be handcuffed by a private school association? Other basketball schools are still competing in regional and national tournaments.. Those kids are getting recruited... The state rules are hurting the kids chances.. Yes state championships are great and all but they are not what they used to be... Take a small state like Maryland they have 4 public school state champions and various private league champions.. Jersey has no state chamipons just regional public and private.. FLA has 8 state champions, same with Ohio and Cali (regional champs) and Texas.. Point being its not as big a deal as it used to be.. Its more about level of competition and playing more now... Am I saying a mythical national championship is it? NO but competing against your competition for scholarlships is it.. Thats all.. Why do you think Sallies is scheduling top national lacrossse teams? Because they know... They can showcase their kids against the best and they will benefit... Lets be real about Delaware if you win states you beat out thirty some teams. In most states you have ot beat out hundreds,, even in Md with 4 divisions 16 teams make the play-offs in each division and that is only 25% of the teams.. D1 in football in DE is 18 teams? That is just a league, county or region in most states.. Being small is more of a reason to create competetetive leagues..

This post was edited on 4/5 8:05 AM by ravensrooster2

Lets just open mindedly suppose for minute...

Suppose we had a private league like MIAA in DE for Lax

The DPSA ( Delaware Private School Association)

Lax

A division

Sallies
St marks
Tower Hill
Tatnall
Friends
Archmere
Caravel

Yes there is disparity now ( beacause of Sallies) but suppose this is the league like MIAA and the teams played their league games and also scheduled great OSS teams?? The other schools would attract kids as well and It would just be a matter of time before all the teams were competetive like MIAA .. who knows who would be A maybe St Andrews, ST E's etc...

This post was edited on 4/4 11:20 PM by ravensrooster2

RR: Except for Football, Kids get their Exposure from The AAU, and Club teams...Every Sport except football.

Not a bad concept except, take Caravel off that list and switch with St Andrew. I know your boy goes there but if we are talking lacrosse caravel isn't in that class. Football yes, he'll I'd say they were the best this year but not lacrosse.

Originally posted by MightyMik:
Not a bad concept except, take Caravel off that list and switch with St Andrew. I know your boy goes there but if we are talking lacrosse caravel isn't in that class. Football yes, he'll I'd say they were the best this year but not lacrosse.
Yeah I agree... Allthough Caravel is getting better they have a pretty good group of Soph players.. They have weak schedule this year but they are 3-0 best win being over St E's... but they are def not in any MIAA class or near the top 6 or 7 in DE... My boy doesnt play Lax I am just a huge fan of the game...

Want to point out that all the private schools in DE have students from out of state, so if the concern is athletes from other states playing then the "private division" seems to make sense.
Just sad that rather than develop programs, some would rather play down with others who aren't building programs taking pride that they won the lower divison.

A lot of the private schools make lacrosse a priority and it's obvious the coach makes the program - I wonder if that's really the difference, schools that make lax a priority vs schools that don't?

Woodenstick said it wasn't that long ago that Tower Hill and Tatnall were on top....were people complaining then about them being too good with out of state players?

Caravel with Pete Duncan may be the program to watch - 1. very good coach, 2. building through younger players, 3. encouraging kids to improve throughout the year, not just March - May, 4. administration supporting the program and wanting to see success. He has a group of kids coming up one day may very well be the team to beat - can't wait to see Caravel in the championship one day!

Outside, you wrote "Just sad that rather than develop programs, some would rather play down with others who aren't building programs taking pride that they won the lower divison."

Who are you referring to?

No need to specify, all have great kids. But, look at different programs across the state, I'm sure you'll see a difference in programs - development, off-season lax commitment and coaching.

Vent my fustration im not fustrated, it just tiring to see teams that are not good be put up like they are good, it doesnt matter if they beat a tech school lacrosse in southern delaware is a joke. And not becuase the kids are not good. With so few private schools in the south and all the talents going to public schools and being so close to md these programs should be powerhouses. The reason i see they cant grow in skill is do to coaching. The youth programs in lower delaware are a joke, and the level of coaching between north and south is day and night its pretty embarrassing. Dont blame me just because im stating facts. Maybe you guys should go to other places and see how out of state programs are coached, well disciplined student athletes with a disciplined staff that set up appropriate planning every day for practice, and having good time management as well as leadership skills, something that has yet to be seen in on public school teams. Maybe once this happens they will start winning games and you guys can stop complaining about having multiple divisions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT