ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Season is on

May 12, 2014
First day of the season here!
Any thoughts on a possible change to the normal hierarchy?
My top 6 (at this time) vying for the semi finals
Appoquinimink
Archmere
Caesar Rodney
Salesianum
Tower Hill
Wilmington Friends

Appo remains strong. Archmere lost 100+ points to graduation. CR seems to be on way up.
Sallies always reloads but lost some strong players to graduation. Tower Hill depends on who shows up on game days. Friends is building but needs to find another goalie.
Cape could be in this mix. Other programs are building but not to depths of this group at this time.

Any see Sallies schedule. They are playing top teams around this country and only 3 teams in state. Is the state that afraid of the big S in lacrosse.

Appo better do it this year because they will be down after this class of seniors leaves. I think its between them and CR for the other final spot against Sallies.

Any see Sallies schedule. They are playing top teams around this country and only 3 teams in state. Is the state that afraid of the big S in lacrosse.

I think it has more to do with Sallies wanting to better their program than it does with other in state programs being afraid of them. If Sallies beats a team 25-1, does either team get better from that game? With only being able to schedule 15 games in Delaware, it puts them at a big disadvantage compared to other private schools. Take Marylands MIAA for example, those schools have 18-20 games played during the regular season. I hate to use the term "waste", but why would Sallies schedule a waste of a game where they are going to pull the starters in the first half and blow the other team out?

I agree with your top six. Getting a little more in depth:

Appo:
Returns:
Possible POY candidate and 2016 1st teamer and All American in Cross Ferrara
2nd team defenseman Nick Bowen
2nd team goalie Noah Given
3rd team attackman Zach Bowen
Midfield Campbell Garrison​
Graduated:
2nd team midfielder John Dunbar
2nd team defense Nick Ferrara
Midfielder Logan Yoder
FOGO Evan Yauchuczek
Archmere:
Returns:
First team and All American LSM Nick Salameda
First team defenseman Pat Udovich
Midfielder Cole Bauer
Attackman Mitch Moyer
Attackman Xavier Glavin​
Graduated:
2016 POY, First Team, All American Ben Revak
First Team, All American Rob Baxter
FOGO Jackson Singewald
Goalie Jake Mottola
Midfielder Connor Dennewitz
CR:
Returns:
3rd team Midfielder Demetrius Stevenson
3rd team Goalie Tyler Gross
HM Defenseman Nolan Brockmeyer
Midfield/Attack Jacob Pangle​
Graduated:
1st team FOGO Brinen LeFevre
2nd team Attack Luke Rankin
HM Midfield Pat Matsko
Midfield/Attack Nolan Aloe
Midfield/Attack Jack Bobel​

Sallies: (They have so many kids that can play, forgive me if I miss a few)
Returns:
POY Favorite, 1st team and All American Mikey Drake
2nd team attack Taylor Witherell
2nd team midfield Brett Hobbs
2nd team Goalie Brady Emmi
3rd team defense Jimmy Blaszko
HM attack Patrick Drake
Midfield Jamie Hobbs
Attack RJ Fink
Midfield Chad Cannon​
Graduated:
1st team Midfield Luke Bianchino
1st team Midfield Garret Cannon
1st team Defense Pat Lyons
3rd team FOGO Nick Bramble
HM Defense Chris Colman
Defense Beau Yerger
Midfield Liam Mackenzie
Midfield Ethan Joseph
Midfield Kevin Brown​

Tower Hill:
Returns:
HM Attack Jamie Spruance (plays Midfield and FOs)
Goalie Michael Gianforcaro
Attack Jamie Spartin
Defense Tej Vaddi
Attack Will Togo​
Graduated:
2nd team Midfield Dougie McCoy
2nd team Defense Noah Thomas
HM Midfield Russell Applegate
LSM Kevin Turner
Defense Mick Togo
Midfield Carter Cucuzzella
Friends:
Returns:
3rd team Attack Eric Pincus (plays Midfield and FOs)
3rd team Midfield River Harper
HM Defense Will Gatti
Midfield Owen Ganse
Attack Andrew Jaworski
Midfield Peyton McNeill
Attack Matt Tornek​
Graduated:
1st team, All American Goalie Jacob Katzen
Midfield Tai Holden
Defense Tommy Manley
Defense Quinn Kirkpatrick
Appo should still be strong retaining an All American Cross Ferrara and the Bowens along with Goalie Noah Given, they lose significant contributor in John Dunbar but I'm sure they have someone to step in

Archmere loses 2 all americans (starting middie and attack), 2 starting middies (one Fogo) and their starting goalie. Retain almost the whole defense including all american lsm Nick Salameda and 1st team defender Pat Udovich and two young contributors in Moyer and Bauer.

CR returns big man Demetrius Stevenson along with several contributing middies and attackmen and 3rd team goalie Tyler Gross but loses starting first team FOGO Lefevre and attackman Luke Rankin

Sallies returns their entire All State attack, all state goalie, and all state defenseman. Losing a first team defenseman, two first team middies, and HM defenseman, and other starting close defender hurts but I'm sure they're stocked and reloaded with more talent.

Tower returns do it all man Spruance, a starting attackman, and a solid young goaltender but loses McCoy and Thomas along with Applegate and Turner and other contributing players. The hillers always have talent and can compete but will be very young this year apart from a few starters

Friends returns good FO middie and attackman Eric Pincus and returns a good squad of talented offensemen and a good defenseman in Will Gatti. Replacing Katzen is going to be tough but Friends has a history of having good goalies so dont be surprised if they have someone waiting in the wings.

Again I apologize if I left anyone out, I didn't mean to, this is all from memory, rosters from last year, and the all state list from last year.

Hope this helps people make sense of this year, should be an exciting year in DE lacrosse

Sallies got a stud freshman pole, he will play right away.

Friends got a freshman goalie that will start right away

Appo has an incredible freshman offensive player.

All 3 of these teams are capable of replacing whatever they lose, granted incoming freshman won't immediately replace Senior production.

Appo will remain untouched in the Blue Hen for years to come, especially with the departure of Charter, who will switch to Diamond State Conf in a year or two. Middletown could also have their arrow pointing up.

Sanford is the sleeper team for '17 and beyond. Very young and very good.

Tatnall is stacked with talented young players and a good base returning.

Archmere is loaded, the 2 freshman offensive players should've been all-state and should definitely have all-state seasons as sophomores.

Another sleeper I like is Caravel. Freshman that played heavy varsity as an 8th grader and plays Mesa travel. First team pole, stacked coaching staff and a ton in the pipeline.

The real story for me this year, as a lifelong fan and old person is the death of public school lax up north. Christina District appears to be attempting to suffocate their programs into a slow death. Brandywine seems to be dying off, their coach bailed for a reason. AI isn't reloading and moves to flight B.

Is there a blue hen public North of Middletown that is flourishing? All I can think of is Concord, which has a nice core and is well coached. I considered them a sleeper, but they're inconsistent. Probably due to lack of comp.

Concord, Charter and Middletown will battle for #2 behind Appo, but nothing worth talking about in Blue Hen beyond them.

St. Georges will win Flight B, but won't beat a good team.

Friends will win Ind Conf.

St.Marks and St.E have nice young players and great coaching, they'll be very competitive.

My last sleeper team for '17 is Conrad. Big lefty at midfield is unstoppable and he's not even the offensive player that gets most credit there. Good goalie, weird defensive scheme, excellent on offense. Unfortunately they forgot to upgrade their first year team schedule. They're in year 6, stacked and dropped the ball big time with scheduling.

DMA will be good but young, but Archmere runs away with that conference. Conrad can beat DMA.

Red Lion has a good thing going, good mix of young and vets. They can build in what they did last year as well, bit schedule is an issue there too.

DMA will be very good, sleep on them, good goalie coming back, graduated a few very good players but will be very strong this year, DMA will win the conference

Dma has a returning lock down defense with a shallow but consistent and deadly offense... there goalie is a uncovered jem in the crease and will go toe to toe with the best shooters in the state... they have a very solid defenseman who shut down cross from appo last year... they have the best coach in the state who demands greatness and will take nothing less... they have a team of work horses that won't stop until the final whistle... last year I was reading the same thing and what ended up happening? Dma beat appo and archmere and came down the the final buzzer with friends... Dma did lose 2 great player but has 5 new players to fill there open spot

How you can you know so much about DMA and disrespect their most dominant player last season? They competed with good teams last year because of their elite faceoff kid. They lost a huge 3 pieces and they don't reload like Sallies does. They have a lot of nice young players and will be a playoff team, but they aren't an elite team and can be beaten.

DMA losing Wolfe and Carroll is going to hurt. They return a few good players but like others have said they don't reload as well as some other teams. The two games against Archmere and Appo last year those two players put up 15 out of their 24 goals. Also I wouldn't call giving up 7 goals and 2 assists to Cross "shutting him down". DMA will be strong but will be an up and down team like they were last year.

DMA did lose fantastic players with Wolfe and Carroll and a good player in Charno. dma will be good this year, they can be beaten but they will make a run

Howell is the reason they were able to beat a lot of teams. Went back through stat boxes and since they unfortunately don't record FO stats I completely forgot about the position. He's a talented player, they're definitely going to miss him.

Reactions: DEHSFan22
Why do we have to power rank all the teams for laxs we all know who's going to win. Sallies is unstoppable in state, there going to roll over every team on there way to the state chip. there no point in talking about it when we know whats going to happen.

Do not be surprised to see a different state champion this year.

Sallies is strong, as always, but the quality of leadership is not what they have had in the past. I think that teams will be able to get inside their heads and get them off their game.

Appo has a great shot this year. I have seen a handful of new commitments from this squad recently. Both offense and defense are good with a good goaltending.

Friends returns a good young group. Their offense will be a handful.

Archmere will be strong if their young offense can find their way. Defensively, they are among tops in the state but you still have to score more goals than the other guy to win.

CR has to find more offense than their big middie or teams can focus their defense.
Same can be said for Tower Hill and Spruance.

Cape returns some good offense but need to find consistency.

Son switched from baseball to lacrosse last year and it has been great. Wish he would have found lacrosse years ago as it is so exciting and fast. We got smoked last year by Archmere in round 1, looking for a win in the tourney this year. Saw IR and Parkside play to a 6-6 tie this week versus a 15-5 whooping last year. IR isn't playing the toughest schedule but we have seen major improvements and have lots of seniors. Looking forward to an exciting season.

IR is a fun team to watch. Played Archmere very well despite what score might show. Face off and goalie played very well.

The IR coaches are awesome. Head coach used to be a lacrosse and soccer coach for Terps back in the 70's when they won 2 lacrosse national championships and most recently was the head lacrosse coach at Belmont Abbey in NC. I'm glad he retired to the beach and we were able to get him out of retirement. Been an uplifting experience for the kids. Assistant also played at Towson and relates well to the kids. Wish my son had another year.

Why do we have to power rank all the teams for laxs we all know who's going to win. Sallies is unstoppable in state, there going to roll over every team on there way to the state chip. there no point in talking about it when we know whats going to happen.

Tank, does Sals have a shot against Malvern Prep this year?

When the Sals play top 10 teams it always comes down to face offs. Its the one area where they have trouble competing. If the Malvern FOGO returns the Sals will have trouble again. That kid won almost every face off last year. The fact that the Sals were so dominated at FOGO and still scored 9 goals is amazing in and of itself. But starting almost every possession on defense is not a winning formula against a national power. I am convinced that if the Sals were better at face off they would be a top ten team most years.

Should be a decent day to watch lacrosse on Saturday, 04/01.
With UD away, what games to go see?
Tower Hill at Archmere, 11:00
Others?

Tower Hill vs Archmere should be an interesting game. Seems like those 2 teams always battle to the end. Expecting another close one as TH's balanced offense takes on 2 solid poles from Archmere who I believe were both 1st teamers last season. Any predictions for this one or any other Saturday match ups?

Ar
Any Archmere, Tower Hill highlights?
Archmere won 12-7
Goals (Tower Hill) -W Corroon 2, Okoniewski 2, R Corroon, Hodgson, Togo
Goals (Archmere) - Glavin 6, Bauer 2, Moyer 2, Kates, Salameda

Assists (Tower Hill) -Hattersley, Spruance, Spartin, Attix
Assists (Archmere) - DiBattista 2, Cipriano, Moyer

Shots (Tower Hill) - 15
Shots (Archmere) - 40

Saves (Tower Hill) - 14 (Gianforcaro)
Saves (Archmere) - 6 (Smeader)

Archmere Tower Hill had an ugly first quarter with many penalties, mostly TH including an illegal stick but Archmere was never able to capitalize on the advantages.
TH has some good young offense but need to keep their composure and avoid penalties.
Finally settling in, Archmere found it legs on offense and its defense did their job well.
TH up 4-3 after the 1st, Archmere up 7-5 at half. Archmere defense took over in 2nd half. Their two poles are fearsome.

TH goalie was a brick wall or this one would have gotten away sooner. He stonewalled Archmere attack 4 straight one v one opportunities. He kept it close for a while.

Wow. Archmere / Friends and Cape / Appo. That was some fun DE HS lacrosse! One goal games that came down to final minutes.

Polytech vs Dover was an exciting 1 goal game to watch. It was very fast paced but filled with penalties. I'm thinking both teams have a shot of making the playoffs but are gonna need help on the defensive end to win a playoff game.

Did any one see the Sallies - Garden City game? Garden City is a top 25 team but the Sals only scored 2 goals. Its been at least 4 years since someone held the Sals to 2 goals.

GC actually not in the top 25...not even in the top 10 of their region. Great program but definitely not one of their strongest years. Embarrassing loss for sals. What happened to that strong offense? All those kids you would think they could score more than 2 goals. Just a bad game or is sals overrated/weak this year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT