ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Top Teams Coaching Changes

Hope Appo gets a good coach and not a "daddy"! Daddy Ball has no place in high school! Kids needs to earn these positions based on their talent and not the fact they all played on the same travel team. I heard from a friend yesterday that Appo doesn't have any assistants at the varsity level and Bryson left and after Cunningham left the other Bill on the team left too. Unfortunately for the kids, this happened so close to the beginning of the season. In any case, best of luck to Appo this year!

Hope Appo gets a good coach and not a "daddy"! Daddy Ball has no place in high school! Kids needs to earn these positions based on their talent and not the fact they all played on the same travel team. I heard from a friend yesterday that Appo doesn't have any assistants at the varsity level and Bryson left and after Cunningham left the other Bill on the team left too. Unfortunately for the kids, this happened so close to the beginning of the season. In any case, best of luck to Appo this year!
Agreed Juice!! That would be a huge mistake for the program moving forward.

Is it really “ Daddy Ball” if the coach played in college then in the minors? Better for the kids to have the random English teacher fill in who doesn’t know the game or the random little league or legion coach who has never talked to a college recruiter before?

Is it really “ Daddy Ball” if the coach played in college then in the minors? Better for the kids to have the random English teacher fill in who doesn’t know the game or the random little league or legion coach who has never talked to a college recruiter before?
It would be Daddy Ball if the coach coming in wasn't able to commit more than 2 years to the program. The program needs a coach who can foresee himself being there for a longer period of time to build the program. Not one who may leave in 2 years. Just doesn't seem like it would benefit the program as a whole.

I can agree with your point. But with coach leaving a month before season starts. AD in tough position. Might be better to hire a certain person and start the process of finding a long term coach over the summer. Rushing a hire doesn’t help anyone. AD taking over would be great for kids.

It would’ve been nice if Bryson stuck around Heard he left because one of the fathers on the team kept on bitching about every pitch That didn’t work out

I can agree with your point. But with coach leaving a month before season starts. AD in tough position. Might be better to hire a certain person and start the process of finding a long term coach over the summer. Rushing a hire doesn’t help anyone. AD taking over would be great for kids.
Wegz is this you?

No, son never played for Wegz... But know Wegz won’t abuse my sons arm in March and April . Believe he understands that Delaware high school baseball is a prep for summer ball

No, son never played for Wegz... But know Wegz won’t abuse my sons arm in March and April . Believe he understands that Delaware high school baseball is a prep for summer ball
I can see why you think that way but i feel like HS baseball has a purpose while summer ball you’re not really competing, you’re just playing to showcase your skills

Reactions: truthaboutsports
Wegz coach summer ball? U have issues with him? Also impossible to get abused in summer ball with all top events using pitch smart guidelines or 2 inning max. If your kid has a future of playing ball after high school it’s up to the parent to set guidelines to protect there arm. U have know schools aren’t coming to watch high school baseball or legion ball unless kid has shown something in Florida or Georgia or a school showcase.

Just saying baseball on the east coast is such a cult it crazy. They pigeon hole kids all the time and daddy ball is a big issue.

I can see why you think that way but i feel like HS baseball has a purpose while summer ball you’re not really competing, you’re just playing to showcase your skills

Agree, kids are at all different levels. Tough situation all around. High school baseball baseball is about friendships and school pride.

Reactions: KnowitallDE
Just saying baseball on the east coast is such a cult it crazy. They pigeon hole kids all the time and daddy ball is a big issue.

Yep, if your kid has the talent. U have to go find a out of state team. Each family has to weigh if it’s worth it. Cause it will cost you. $$

Wegz coach summer ball? U have issues with him? Also impossible to get abused in summer ball with all top events using pitch smart guidelines or 2 inning max. If your kid has a future of playing ball after high school it’s up to the parent to set guidelines to protect there arm. U have know schools aren’t coming to watch high school baseball or legion ball unless kid has shown something in Florida or Georgia or a school showcase.
Sure you can when you pitch in the week for Legion ball 80 pitches and pitch another 80 on the weekends for your travel ball team that’s called abuse

Sure you can when you pitch in the week for Legion ball 80 pitches and pitch another 80 on the weekends for your travel ball team that’s called abuse

Why pitch in legion ball? Not the 80’s. If your a pitcher u pitch on Saturday or Sunday . And a pen on Wednesday. Unless your just playing because u love the game , and won’t pitch in college. I think we are talking about different levels of athletes

Why pitch in legion ball? Not the 80’s. If your a pitcher u pitch on Saturday or Sunday . And a pen on Wednesday. Unless your just playing because u love the game , and won’t pitch in college. I think we are talking about different levels of athletes
It happens a lot a bad coaches out there

Yeah well vipers I coached against you or your vipers program In the past and I know what travel weekend ball hired guns are all about. In my opinion baseball like most sports have lost it’s way. Seriously kids playing for 3 or 4 teams in a summer tournament to tournament It’s not like these kids get full rides for the most part like football or basketball and it’s a much harder road to make the majors At least football and basketball have some loyalty for their teams. It’s a joke. Anyone can show a baseball kid a “proper swimg” or and “proper arm angle”. Please. The kid can play or they can’t same as in the 4o’s as today. You have no majic formula Well other than a “cocktail “

It would be nice if the AD would take the position. Some boys may not even like the fact they are considering this dad as he may find him intimidating. Besides the fact it is hard to talk about your coach being an ass or making a bad decision when their teammate is his son. Hahaha

Reactions: truthaboutsports
I coached younger team. And at 13u we decided we did all we could for the kids development. Some kids play local some play for teams in other states down south. Travel ball is all different levels. Sports at the beach Ripken fun. PG World Series about being seen. Baseball isn’t just about scholarship money, opens doors for kids to get into a university they might not get into normally

It would be nice if the AD would take the position. Some boys may not even like the fact they are considering this dad as he may find him intimidating. Besides the fact it is hard to talk about your coach being an ass or making a bad decision when their teammate is his son. Hahaha

Don’t worry, if Wegz is coach I will yell at him from stands. I know couple other dads that will to. Again AD in a bind with 2 weeks to go

Sorry Vipers not busting on your program but but I believe a player can hit the ball or they can’t. I believe it’s inate and confidence. I believe there is no certain way to hit a ball. Some players can just see the ball and hit the ball. It’s that simple to me

Pitching the same way. Well we know you can’t teach velocity but control is just confidence. The player has it or he doesn’t. You as a coach can give tips but if you start changing their natural delivery to emulate a pro pitcher it doesn’t work. You have to work on their confidence within thei natural delivery. I’m not claiming to be an expert but I have tried both approaches and working with the kids orthodox or unorthodox delivery works better.

Point being don’t pigeon hole kids some of the best players in baseball buck the norm

Sorry Vipers not busting on your program but but I believe a player can hit the ball or they can’t. I believe it’s inate and confidence. I believe there is no certain way to hit a ball. Some players can just see the ball and hit the ball. It’s that simple to me

Pitching the same way. Well we know you can’t teach velocity but control is just confidence. The player has it or he doesn’t. You as a coach can give tips but if you start changing their natural delivery to emulate a pro pitcher it doesn’t work. You have to work on their confidence within thei natural delivery. I’m not claiming to be an expert but I have tried both approaches and working with the kids orthodox or unorthodox delivery works better.

Point being don’t pigeon hole kids some of the best players in baseball buck the norm
false statement most of all the great pitchers had their mechanics and arm slot changed by their pitching coach

I coached younger team. And at 13u we decided we did all we could for the kids development. Some kids play local some play for teams in other states down south. Travel ball is all different levels. Sports at the beach Ripken fun. PG World Series about being seen. Baseball isn’t just about scholarship money, opens doors for kids to get into a university they might not get into normally
The whole notion of "scholarships" in baseball is ridiculous. Kids will get more academics/needs based monies than baseball money. Why? Because there isn't very much to go around. 40 players rostered, limited scholarships, do the math. For the VAST majority moving up to play its about being involved in something they are good at and like doing. Period. How many fall out after their freshmen year because their are 31 other good kid playing and they ride the pine? We all hear about the kid that quit and say,"Wow they were really good".
The identified kids are "found" early on in the travel game system. Most who stay in travel/legion or whatever spend money making memories, having fun and staying in the game to have a chance to play in college. Unless they have a coach who bleeds their passion for the game away. Daddyball or just an a** hole coach. Build players up, not tear them down because you have the power. Never seen it in any other sport like you do in baseball. "Make deposits in kids, then take the withdrawal.
Thanks Rob

Last edited:
Agree, kids are at all different levels. Tough situation all around. High school baseball baseball is about friendships and school pride.
Agree with tou
The whole notion of "scholarships" in baseball is ridiculous. Kids will get more academics/needs based monies than baseball money. Why? Because there isn't very much to go around. 40 players rostered, limited scholarships, do the math. For the VAST majority moving up to play its about being involved in something they are good at and like doing. Period. How many fall out after their freshmen year because their are 31 other good kid playing and they ride the pine? We all hear about the kid that quit and say,"Wow they were really good".
The identified kids are "found" early on in the travel game system. Most who stay in travel/legion or whatever spend money making memories, having fun and staying in the game to have a chance to play in college. Unless they have a coach who bleeds their passion for the game away. Daddyball or just an a** hole coach. Build players up, not tear them down because you have the power. Never seen it in any other sport like you do in baseball. "Make deposits in kids, then take the withdrawal.
Thanks Rob
”thanks Rob” i think i know who you’re referring too... i heard he put in for the appo job and his sons go to the school so

Nice to see a bunch of local products getting their time on the field at the collegiate level! Geloff (Cape/UVA), Peluse (Middletown/WF), Fields (Appo/Towson), Dunn (Middletown/Radford), Warrington (St. Mark's/DSU), Shorts (STG/DSU) - all producing! Well done and way to represent the 302!

@RiderPride1 My son goes to Wilmington. Could easily meet you at one of those games as well. Not sure I know who this actually is but think I have a clue. Your son play with the Vipers?

That is as dumb as it sounds. First of all CR, Dover, Tech, and Polytech is south of Smyrna. Know your geographically. Smyrna will be a sleeper this dont expect anything big this year. 1 of the 4 teams listed didn’t even make it to the playoffs last year. The other schools do they even have a team. Matt Warrington will be the POY down state. Recruits for Smyrna no way they just have raw talent. Now with a new coach that’s baseball orientated I believe there will be a BIG change!!!!
Henlopen "North"is a Conference.

Reactions: DoverSenator
So if a coach is hired by a program and his child is on the team, yet already committed. How would it be "daddy ball?" I am just curious, Doug Nowell coached at Conrad and his son played there, was that daddy ball too?? he helped that program a lot.!!I have seen a lot of baseball in Delaware and I would take a father who has played college and minor league baseball over some of the egotistical yahoos who "coach" now.

However it is Delaware, so we would rather have a guy that talks down to kids, but wins championships, versus a guy who just might help you get into college outside of travel ball.

Just saying

Reactions: soccer07
So if a coach is hired by a program and his child is on the team, yet already committed. How would it be "daddy ball?" I am just curious, Doug Nowell coached at Conrad and his son played there, was that daddy ball too?? he helped that program a lot.!!I have seen a lot of baseball in Delaware and I would take a father who has played college and minor league baseball over some of the egotistical yahoos who "coach" now.

However it is Delaware, so we would rather have a guy that talks down to kids, but wins championships, versus a guy who just might help you get into college outside of travel ball.

Just saying
I think schools would rather have a 2019 state championship banner, then a banner that says “an sec commit went here this year”

But this is the type of thing I’m talking about. You don’t play HS ball for yourself, it’s actual baseball where you play to win with your boys. By all means I’d rather have an egotistical coach that will get the school a championship then some dad who played in college

I think schools would rather have a 2019 state championship banner, then a banner that says “an sec commit went here this year”

But this is the type of thing I’m talking about. You don’t play HS ball for yourself, it’s actual baseball where you play to win with your boys. By all means I’d rather have an egotistical coach that will get the school a championship then some dad who played in college

You think the administration cares about sports championships?
I’ll take the coach that understands the college recruiting process and puts kids in best position to play in college if it’s D1,D2 or D3. Not the coach who can sit at Buffalo Wild Wings on a Thursday night and puff his chest out and talk about how he beat a rival while throwing a kid 90 pitches in March when it’s 38 degrees out. High school baseball is spring training for the summer and fall.

So you think the game is all about winning. Don't get me wrong I am one of the most competitive people you will ever meet! However in my 54 years on this planet and my 30 years of coaching and only briefly at the High School level. I can tell you, if you teach the right things winning will come. Respect for the game, for respect for others, 100% effort, and proper coaching.

Win at all costs has just got us a bunch of over over privileged, self entitled individuals. I used to be that guy and I learned over time. I still believe in hard work and effort and everyone doesn't deserve a trophy, but I have also learned how to maximize a person's efforts.

You know what a college coach told me once down in Georgia. Delaware high school coaches are about themselves not their players. Now I don't think that is true for all of them, but damn if it wasn't on point. I would definitely want a coach that could help my kid get into college, because right now that doesn't happen!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT