ADVERTISEMENT

All Conference/All-State

A.I.Pride

Special teams standout
Apr 29, 2009
It’s that time of the year again, that pisses off all bloggers. All-Conference voting was tonight. All-State will be submitted in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately, tomorrow morning the arguments will begin and last till January.

It’s that time of the year again, that pisses off all bloggers. All-Conference voting was tonight. All-State will be submitted in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately, tomorrow morning the arguments will begin and last till January.

I thought All Conference voting was 11/14 (tomorrow)???

Naturally it will piss people off because half of it is about how you team finishes, 25% is name recognition prior to voting and last 25% is actually talent.

Every once in a while true talent will outweigh some names

Naturally it will piss people off because half of it is about how you team finishes, 25% is name recognition prior to voting and last 25% is actually talent.

The entire all state team has been picked. DMA

Coaches should have to things in front of them when voting for All Conference/ All State:
#1 - Players stats
#2 - Player’s team record (to see who they played)
With that being said, the amount of kids making up All State should be roughly 75-80% D1 players and the remainder D2 players

Coaches should have to things in front of them when voting for All Conference/ All State:
#1 - Players stats
With that being said, the amount of kids making up All State should be roughly 75-80% D1 players and the remainder D2 players
80 percent DMA
Will knight
The rest DMA JV

I would save the D2 players for like an all-participation team. As in they were on the field and that’s about it.

Save the treats for the dogs.

I would save the D2 players for like an all-participation team. As in they were on the field and that’s about it.

Save the treats for the dogs.
Like we lost 14-8 to the mighty d one school we played lol with three starteing linemen out. Today we beat them. 45 O. You have no respect for the kids. There are monsters in D2 this year . With more college Bound kids then D 1 from what I have been reading. DMA

Like we lost 14-8 to the mighty d one school we played lol with three starteing linemen out. Today we beat them. 45 O. You have no respect for the kids. There are monsters in D2 this year . With more college Bound kids then D 1 from what I have been reading. DMA

What D1 school did you play? The worst one ever?

Only the Third ranked this year in your division. You have lost touch with the reality. All the talent is in D2 accept for like will knight.

And DMA only beat Archmere by 2pts. So what’s your point?.........smh
A win is a win and a loss is a loss!

Reactions: 84rider
Yeah because DI is so elite here in little Delaware.

DI football stinks. Just look at Flight A. It sucks.

DII has some really good players and just because you don't play on a winning team doesn't mean you aren't any good.

Yeah because DI is so elite here in little Delaware.

DI football stinks. Just look at Flight A. It sucks.

DII has some really good players and just because you don't play on a winning team doesn't mean you aren't any good.

Ummmmm, Flight A had 3 of the 6 teams that made it to the D1 playoffs smart guy.......

Reactions: myrealname
#1 - Players stats

75-80% D1 overD2 is flawed also. But the norm at the least

I believe when it comes to All-State, it makes it difficult for some players in D2, because the Flight A, Henlopen North, and Sallies coaches ONLY vote for D1 players, because that’s who they get to see and play against. Now, if there is a big name player in D2 with a bunch of college offers, they too will fill them in on their 3 team rosters.

The D2 coaches vote usually gets split, because they tend to focus on the kids in their individual conferences and still vote for the D1 players with big names and/or team reputation. When you throw the Diamond Conference and Independents in there, they also focus on the reputation of the larger D1 schools and big name players.

On top of all of that, you never know what happens behind the magic curtain of DIFCA. It may be different this year with Delpercio not pulling the strings and counting votes.

Ummmmm, Flight A had 3 of the 6 teams that made it to the D1 playoffs smart guy.......

Yeah and the rest of the teams are god awful. WP isn’t very good either . They lost every tough game they played including the one to Sallies. Heck they almost lost to Concord if not for a fluke fumble .

I just don’t see DI football being that much better than D2. The gap isn’t all that much .

I believe when it comes to All-State, it makes it difficult for some players in D2, because the Flight A, Henlopen North, and Sallies coaches ONLY vote for D1 players, because that’s who they get to see and play against. Now, if there is a big name player in D2 with a bunch of college offers, they too will fill them in on their 3 team rosters.

The D2 coaches vote usually gets split, because they tend to focus on the kids in their individual conferences and still vote for the D1 players with big names and/or team reputation. When you throw the Diamond Conference and Independents in there, they also focus on the reputation of the larger D1 schools and big name players.

On top of all of that, you never know what happens behind the magic curtain of DIFCA. It may be different this year with Delpercio not pulling the strings and counting votes.

Good post and analysis. There have been some very good D-2 players who have been slighted in the past because of exactly what you are describing. This combined with their own coaches not lobbying/horsetrading enough at the all state meeting also plays a role. Some coaches are very active in promoting their guys, some aren't, and that can make a big difference as well. There were several deserving D-2 players last year who ended up as 3rd team all-state who are with Division 1 college programs this year. Unfortunately, this is how the process works. The guys that are good enough to be first-teamers and who are overlooked still get college offers to very good schools regardless of how the all state process shakes out.

Yeah and the rest of the teams are god awful. WP isn’t very good either . They lost every tough game they played including the one to Sallies. Heck they almost lost to Concord if not for a fluke fumble .

I just don’t see DI football being that much better than D2. The gap isn’t all that much .
If you look at the top 3-4 D1 teams Vs the top 3-4 D2 teams the game is enormous. Blowouts on each.

Reactions: HSftballlaxFan
I won't say top 3-4.

Hodgson beat DMA by a score. So the gap isn't that far off. HOWEVER the gap from Middletown/Smyrna compared to everyone else in the state, D1 or D2 is a wide margin IMO.

Quick question....will the drive to Central be worth it? Would like to see the Barnes brothers. In case they get to travel north to Middletown, but I can't stand the drive down there just watch someone else play that's not my own.

I'll also be at the Hodgson/CR game Saturday, although I believe it might be a blow out.

Ok, first off the difference between D1 and D2 is not talent of an individual player its the depth of talent. Its a simple numbers game! Individual player talent differences is not significant.

D1 playoff schools - Middletown - 1500, Smyrna - 1437, Sussex Central 1697, Caesar Rodney 1918, William Penn- 2084 Hodgson 1119

D2 playoff schools - DMA - 584, AI - 1062, Friends 276, Milford - 995, Woodbridge 663, Tower Hill 290, Howard 860, Delmar - 647

Was only 8 teams out of 17 in D1 with a winning record. You can take the bottom half of D1 and throw them in with the top 10-12 in D2 and they still wouldn't necessarily win.

The other factor is coaching and at this level, a small difference can make a huge impact. Many players coming to HS may have never played football before at middle school or perhaps were to big to play Pop Warner or there was no CYO or whatever. Another factor is that the kids that are going to the top private schools are not your average Joe. Those kids are smart and have parental support. Can't say the same for some of the public kids. Playbook is a lot harder to manage if reading is not your strong suit and you may or may not have had dinner last night.

The real discrepancy is when you look at the bottom third of D2 standings . Those teams have short rosters, typically the smallest schools with as few as 400 students or fewer, and short tenured coaching staffs.

Considering the inter-divisional games this year, here are a few notable D1/D2 games...

#3 Central beat a non playoff Caravel team by 9 points
Non Playoff Polytech (6-4) with 9 pt win over Milford(7-3) and 14pt win over Laurel (4-6)
Milford with wins over D1 Cape and Sussex Tech
Woodbridge 49-20 win over Dover.
DMA, AI, Tower Hill, Friends, Conrad & Archmere all beat Charter
St Marks & DMA beat Newark

So to say that D2 football is trash is someone simply talking to hear themselves talk.

I won't say top 3-4.

Hodgson beat DMA by a score. So the gap isn't that far off. HOWEVER the gap from Middletown/Smyrna compared to everyone else in the state, D1 or D2 is a wide margin IMO.
DMA barely beat Archmere by 2pts and they are not even in the D2 Playoffs, so your point is???............

My opinion is Delware should just do one playoff. Crown a division champ for the regular season. Then do a 16 team playoffs to crown one state champion for the entire state. Maybe Middletown or Smyrna win it every year. However It will be better then the current system in place. The state is a little to small to break up the teams for the playoffs. And honestly I agree That the talent is not much different outside the top two teams in D1. One of the previous posters points about depth is the only real thing that separates the two divisions.

Quick question....will the drive to Central be worth it? Would like to see the Barnes brothers. In case they get to travel north to Middletown, but I can't stand the drive down there just watch someone else play that's not my own.

I'll also be at the Hodgson/CR game Saturday, although I believe it might be a blow out.
Come on, take the drive down 113 it's always worth it. Fresh air and good football on a crisp Friday night. And yes the Barnes are fun to watch. Great football players and yet better kids from great families.

Ok fill me in on the "famous" rock throwing incident. I have been to a ton of Central games but I must have missed that one.

Sallies/Central Semi final playoff game. I think it was 2007 maybe 2008, there was a poster on here named "NewarkRocks". His Kid played Defensive End for Sallies. At some point during halftime, someone threw a rock from behind the stands that happened to hit him or BlueTea. I missed it, I was on the sidelines with Chesdel and Uncle Angelo.

It caused a big deal. So ever since, "NewarkRocks" hasn't been heard of.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Sallies/Central Semi final playoff game. I think it was 2007 maybe 2008, there was a poster on here named "NewarkRocks". His Kid played Defensive End for Sallies. At some point during halftime, someone threw a rock from behind the stands that happened to hit him or BlueTea. I missed it, I was on the sidelines with Chesdel and Uncle Angelo.

It caused a big deal. So ever since, "NewarkRocks" hasn't been heard of.
Yeah, it was 2011. The day after the game everyone was kind of joking, "Who threw the rock?" One of the people mentioned jokingly was NR, he got really upset and left the board for good.

Reactions: HSftballlaxFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT