ADVERTISEMENT

All-State?? Thoughts

Y’all need to relax. I’m just looking at the stats that are posted online, and that’s points only. And for the record, I saw Big Country handle Sanford first game of the season and knew he was going to be the man.

Matthews stats are even more impressive when you consider that the Eagles have 4 players averaging 10+ ppg.

Reactions: jvm3
Yes. That was my point. He could score far more if he weren't as unselfish. Great team player.

Reactions: jvm3
Or he could score less surrounded by the same talent as bones. Bones scores a lot because he has no choice other than losing. Bones has D1 offers because of his talent and performance. If the Robertson and Rickards kid at 6'5 or 6'6 vs 6'2 (skinny kid) were better performers, colleges would be salivating for them. Never heard any D1s, D2s, or D3s down here to see anyone else other than Davis, Matthews, and maybe 1 or 2 others. If They're better or more deserving some College would have signed them by now.

Delawaresportsjunkie by that logic Myles Cale should have won POY last year and year before, DD should have won it his jr year over Oneil as well. Fortunately it's not the "player who has coaches salivating award".

While Hyland is much deserving i think Robertson has separated himself from the pack. No he isn't as talented and maybe he would have lost a few more games at STG if they switched roles. However, we will never know.

What we do know is Robertson is the leading the best team in the state and has been ALL YEAR. If that ain't POY stop awarding the trophy.

Delawaresportsjunkie by that logic Myles Cale should have won POY last year and year before, DD should have won it his jr year over Oneil as well. Fortunately it's not the "player who has coaches salivating award".

While Hyland is much deserving i think Robertson has separated himself from the pack. No he isn't as talented and maybe he would have lost a few more games at STG if they switched roles. However, we will never know.

What we do know is Robertson is the leading the best team in the state and has been ALL YEAR. If that ain't POY stop awarding the trophy.
Cale never drop bones numbers, and he had talent around him, plus u said Cape best team. Why are they the best team? My answer would be talent. So it takes more effort for bones to get his talentless team to the playoffs. Robertson has Richarts and others. Richart all state 1st team potential. What does bones have? If u switched roles there's only one player we know for sure that will produce the same and it ain't Robertson. POY is the award, not team of the Year. My vote would be either Bones or matthews.

Reactions: pitt8179
Matthews is ok.. Nothing great ...i still say Robertson Player of year.. Numbers better than Mathews .. Robertson never had single digits scoring this year in a game.. Matthews has
Cale never drop bones numbers, and he had talent around him, plus u said Cape best team. Why are they the best team? My answer would be talent. So it takes more effort for bones to get his talentless team to the playoffs. Robertson has Richarts and others. Richart all state 1st team potential. What does bones have? If u switched roles there's only one player we know for sure that will produce the same and it ain't Robertson. POY is the award, not team of the Year. My vote would be either Bones or matthews.
Cape has Chandler too. in my opinion will be better than both of them. .

Reactions: Can_you_feel_me
I’d give it to Hyland because he’s the best PLAYER in the state this year. I wouldn’t be surprised Matthews gets it though. Without Hyland StG would look like Hodgson. Scoring 600 points in the regular season is very rare in Delaware
I know that you cannot base POY off of one game but if I took someone to the game tonight that had never seen the kids on the floor play & told them that Matthews was going to be POY in DE this year they would laugh me out of the gym. Last week I said I wanted to see some kids separate themselves these last few games of the season against the top teams & the kid that did that was Robertson. You can’t go wrong with Robertson or Hyland in my opinion but w/ Cape as the #1 team I’d be leaning his way. I’m hoping Matthews bounces back Thursday vs Cape & carries some confidence into the playoffs.

I know that you cannot base POY off of one game but if I took someone to the game tonight that had never seen the kids on the floor play & told them that Matthews was going to be POY in DE this year they would laugh me out of the gym. Last week I said I wanted to see some kids separate themselves these last few games of the season against the top teams & the kid that did that was Robertson. You can’t go wrong with Robertson or Hyland in my opinion but w/ Cape as the #1 team I’d be leaning his way. I’m hoping Matthews bounces back Thursday vs Cape & carries some confidence into the playoffs.
I’d take Hyland over Matthews but who knows what the voters will do. I only seen Robertson once and he definitely performed against Sanford! I haven’t seen many players do what Bones has done this year ever so I’d pick him

I’d take Hyland over Matthews but who knows what the voters will do. I only seen Robertson once and he definitely performed against Sanford! I haven’t seen many players do what Bones has done this year ever so I’d pick him
Hyland not in the box score from tonight’s game. What’s that about?

As for 1st Team All State I think Caravel’s Parker must have heard some of us saying that he may be left off of 1st Team after being 1st Team last year. I saw he had been lighting the box scores up here lately & looks like he finished off the season the last 8 games w/ 34, 20, 23, 7, 24, 19, 43 & 33...that’s 25+ ppg over that period & Caravel went 7-1 in those games. He also had a 31-spot earlier in the season in a win over St. George’s (Hyland had 36 that game).

Last edited:
Parker has heard the critics. He can score for sure. Caravel maybe better without Alderman. More touches for Earl and Parker. When you have guys that can score your always a threat. I feel like lack of size will doom them down the stretch.

Parker has definitely made all state voting much more complicated.

Reactions: Hoopsdownstate2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT