ADVERTISEMENT

Boys High School Pre- Pre Season For 2016-2017

Justabasketballfan

Getting reps on JV
Mar 16, 2015
Boys basketball rankings 2016-17

1. St. Elizabeth: This could be Jordan Money's great chance to get a state championship in his last year. They have a new coach, and coaching staff. They will have new philosophy and a different approach to how they will play this year. They lost 3 seniors from last year and come back with possibly 6 seniors to lead this team. Along with a couple talented incoming freshman they could have the most balance team with a solid bench. Inside presence and chemistry with new coach and new system could be an issue.

2. Mount Pleasant: The year’s most athletic team comes back with a balance attack. This team met every expectations last year. Losing in the tournament to the eventual state champions they are looking to win it this year. It will be hard Losing 7 seniors and primary guard Raheem Burnett. This year’s team will have to make up for his lost. They have replaced the talent with transfer guards Famir Ali from Sallies, and Niger Hodges from William Penn. Along with the players they already seem to be the second favorite and the most athletic team. to get to the championship, but it will come down to their guard play and ball control of get there guards

3. St. Georges: This team made big noise last year, even after they lost an essential piece during the season. This team will lose 5 seniors from last year, but they have break out player and this year senior Kyson Rawls. Sophomore Nah'Shon Hyland had a great summer and will look to continue that during the school year. Last year’s runner-up’s will look to use their experience to get back there. The only weakness will be if they have a bench to get them back to the state championship.

4. St. Thomas More: They made it to the elite 8 in the tournament last year. They have taken the right step to continue grow and make a good run this year to the state title. With potentially 8 seniors coming back being led by Elias Revelle and Aaron Scott this could be there best chance to make a run. Guard play could be there only weakness.

5. Smyrna: This team intrigues me. One paper they look like a mirror image of Appo. They too have size, speed, and a solid bench to contend. They are led by Caleb Matthews, and Jaymeir Garnett. And three players over 6’5 that have transferred in that will make and immediate impact. If these players are truly what the hype is about and the rest of the team can buy into defense and a team concept they can put scare deep into the playoffs.

6. Sanford: The youth movement has begun for this year’s team. They lose 6 seniors and do it all guard Mikey Dixon from last year’s state championship team. I would say they are rebuilding but they will somehow find a way to get back to being dominate with Stan Waterman at the helm. The future of the team will be around freshmen Devin Harris, Corey Perkins, and Jyare Davis. Not seeing a state championship with this team, but they have plenty of experience to get back there and be competitive. The issues will be strong enough experience, bench help, and consistent inside scoring.

7. Sallies: There is so much to say about this team. I feel they under achieved based on the amount of talent they had last year. Internal issues could of affected how this team played. But they were still effective through the whole year and then losing in the second round in the tournament. They have plenty of size and youth led by Tariq Ingraham. They lost two top young guards to transfers and will hope to be able to recover from there lost. This team has so much size for a program in the state of Delaware. There big issue will be trying use that size and talent to compliment the entire teams play in order to have a successful season. Consistent guard play will be a big issue.

8. Caravel: This team kind of went under the radar. With having so many years not being relevant, they are starting to take the baby step to be back in the for state titles again. Last year’s team lost in the first. But there coming back a little better than last year. The offense centered around Okoye Parker. If rumors are correct they will have a transferred guard names Trevon Alderman from sallies that will make an immediate impact. They also have some legitimate size to go with these key additions. They will have a enough fire power to stay in the top 15 and go deep into the playoffs. There only weakness will be a real inside presence on both ends of the floor to contain the middle.

9. Newark: Newark has always had great guards in there program. This year they have the luxury of having an abundance of them. Two most notably are the turner brothers from Howard that have transferred in to go along with guards this team already had. Offense won't be a problem, scoring won't be a problem. Defense could be a big problem. And making sure they play team offense.

10. Cape Henlopen: They looked really good last year during the regular season picking into the top ten. They got into the first round where they faced Newark High school who had the same record. Newark moved on but you could see the baby steps to getting better. They have great size with 6'5 forward Randy Rickards, and 6'6 guard/forward Ian Robertson. They will continue to be competitive with their size. But losing 4 seniors that handled some the ball controlling responsibilities will be an issue.

The next 7
11. William penn: William penn will be hurting. They lost 5 seniors to last year’s team and a significant amount of offense and defense. Rumors of a sizable transfer student from sallies will be an immediate help with his size and experience.

12. Delcastle: Losing 9 seniors will hurt this team. They made a great run last year. It will be different this year. This could be a rebuilding year or two for this program.

13. Dover: Jordan Allen is gone. And what remains is a team that will begin to form a new identity. Not sure if #13 they will stay.

14. Woodbridge: There are a lot of people high on this team. I'm not sure they are going to make a run this like everyone thinks. They may beat up on the down state teams until they face an upstate team in the playoffs.

15. Appo: Rumored key offensive player for this team has transferred out. If this is so they will miss his production and his ability to give his teammates open shots because of the offensive attention he drew. They still have pieces to compete and defense will be there main focus. They will struggle offensively. The only weakness will be chemistry and if the coach can get them to buy into a team concept.

16. Glasgow: They lost two seniors from last year’s team, and they are looking to be a little more balanced. Most of their offense was behind Devon Earl who quietly made a name for himself as the season moved on. By the end of the season everyone knew who this kid was. Rumor has it that there is another guard that will be on the roster this year and should help give a balanced attack for the dragons. Not seeing them crack the top ten. But they could slip into the playoffs and have a solid showing.

17. Concord: They lose 4 seniors from last year’s team. They still have some size to compete. They fared well last year losing to the state champion runner ups in double overtime in the second round. They will have a lot more seniors this years, so the experience should get them to move up from this spot a make the playoffs. It will come down to their guard play and ability to defend the basket.

End of the year prediction: This year is tough. There was so much moving around of players and rumors of what schools was getting who it felt like the NBA free agency. But it looks like St. Elizabeth and Mount Pleasant have the combination of talent, size and the most experience. Not sure how the new coach will do with the talent at St. Elizabeth. Mount Pleasant is primed to be the first public school to win a state chip in some time if they can sure up there guards. And Stan waterman will have to do wonders to get his team to buy into strong team play until those young guys get some experience. St. Georges and Sallies will also be in the hunt this year as well. Sorry guys if there was a down state teams that has a shot it would St. Thomas More and Smyrna.

Freshman player impact: Obviously the biggest freshman impact will be Jyare Davis of Sanford. With Mikey Dixon gone he and Devin Harris are the future of this team. Hassan Perkins at Tatnall has had a great summer. Look to see him have good numbers this year. Others that had good summer Nasir Brown who is at St. Elizabeth. Javon Peace, and Jahkeish Demby.

Updated 10/4

Last edited:
Dude how on earth do you have Smyrna 8
you have to look at what they did last year and the seniors they lost and the key people they have coming back. I think they will peek at 8th. this doesn't mean they'll win it. plus the powers to be will have to put a down state team in the rankings. The only three teams are cape, Smyrna, and St Thomas more..and there the only teams that will beat the rest of the teams down state

Just bball have you heard about Smyrna's transfers a 7'1kid 6'10 kid 6'4 kid all are there now

I think smyrna should definitely be number 1 with all the transfers.
And a little side note Cale is now staying at Appo.

Caravel does have Alderman now but they still aren't better then Smyrna or Cape. Dover won't be up that higher either probably will be below 20 when the season actually starts. I think Glasgow should be higher as well.

I agree J12. Cape on paper is the better team have more talent around them honestly. CR is a scrappy bunch I also like them. Interested to see how the other Henlopen teams end up. Dover loses a lot of players. Polytech lost their whole starting line up. S.Tech didn't do anything last year. Central will decent nothing special.

Again these are pre pre season so these teams will move up or down once the season starts.. But I find it funny no one talks about the top five, only the bottom five in the top ten. And just because Smyrna has that size doesn't mean they can play.. Example sallies had the most size in the state yet they was out in the second round.. And they still have the most size and they are not number one. Talent and skill accounts for a lot... But I like the conversation it generates though..

Reactions: jvm3
Again these are pre pre season so these teams will move up or down once the season starts.. But I find it funny no one talks about the top five, only the bottom five in the top ten. And just because Smyrna has that size doesn't mean they can play.. Example sallies had the most size in the state yet they was out in the second round.. And they still have the most size and they are not number one. Talent and skill accounts for a lot... But I like the conversation it generates though.

We don't know but we know garnet, matthews and the kid from Philly can play. You add 2 kids 6'10 & 7'0 to the mix creates problems even just from a defensive or catch and finish situation. Sallies was a team lead by a 6' 8 freshmen last year, talented but young. I think Ingraham is still 15 if my records are correct. 3 freshmen Versus a team with talented 18/19 year old seniors they lost in 2nd round. That well coached senior lead del castle team went on to final four. The kids Smyrna brought in are older & definitely going to make a huge impact immediately in delaware, u cannot teach 6'10 & 7'0. In the end u can be a skilled 6'0 post player all you want but against an active 7'0 kid it's a wash.

I get what your saying size doesn't win games. But I hate saying it 7'0 his size isn't all he has. If you watch some footage of him he's good. Its Delaware fellas.. You don't get 7'0 and 6'10 everyday. Those two boost them up to the top 5 without an argument for me. Matthews is legit saw the kid go off against Dover. Garnett was a freshman and is impressing. I don't understand what's not to like about this team. Not sure what the 6'4 transfer from PA is like. Eveeyone has opinions but my top 10 is
1.Smyrna
2.St.G
3.St.E
4.Mount
5.STMA
6.Sallies
7.Cape
8.Sanford
9.Glasgow
10. Caravel

Sorry guys the info I got back had nothing to do with Smyrna. Didn't know about these kids. Which is great to hear you guys talk about them. But again this pre pre season. We can only go by what they'd if last year and potential and based on the fact that I didn't know about them and there strength of schedule with only two top ten teams on there schedule and currently no out of state teams or tournaments led me to putting them there. Now they have 18 games scheduled. That could change before the season starts. The one thing I do like is that there not down state heavy. Again thanks for the info...

Delaware Basketball is definitely going to be a toss up this year, a lot of teams lost talent but many got better. I though with graduation along with transfer rumors competitive play would be limited but it sames like things are lined up for an exciting year. My hope is that more talent enters the state & local kids work harder to get better and continue to take advantage of AAU to get exposure & competitively raise their game to a higher level. We're not going to change DIAA but individuals that are willing to put in the extra work can drastically change the culture.

Size matters in a state like Delaware and with Smyrna potentially trotting out a starting five of no one under 6'3, that's a huge sticking point where mostly everyone else has 6'3 centers and power forwards. It would just be a matter of the new guys building chemistry with Matthews and Garnett and getting used to Coach Mears' style, which is pretty solid to begin with.

If I had to pick a team as a pre-season Number One, it'd still be St. E. Money was hurt and didn't play in the tournament, a healthy senior year with his eyes on the prize and the players around him could make for a state title run. But Delaware is truly wide-open this year. Should be fun to watch.

Reactions: Justabasketballfan
I got a chance to see the Smyrna team. and I wasn't to impressed with the bigs they have. one of them cant dunk on a consistent basis. they have size but I really don't believe they will make a mark to lead that team to a state chip. I steal like st. e, and mount to be in the championship this season..

I got a chance to see the Smyrna team. and I wasn't to impressed with the bigs they have. one of them cant dunk on a consistent basis. they have size but I really don't believe they will make a mark to lead that team to a state chip. I steal like st. e, and mount to be in the championship this season..
Not impressed either... Might not even win the North...

Not impressed either... Might not even win the North...

Yeah it was crazy. I hope they finish in the top ten. that's why im never to hyped on size. The kids have to be able to play. and the game will wash out those who can and those who can't. There defense will help them win some games but not a state chip.

Justabasketballfan/hoopsdownstate. Respect both of your opinion but I have to disagree. Watch them vs appo. Both bigs are better than I expected the issue is guards and delaware guards in general understanding how to play with and use bigs (something they never have had to do). The big kids are active, run the court well, defend, & can catch and finish. They create a nightmare with there size and aggressiveness by changing shoots rebounding and allowing gaurds to put more pressure on the parameter. We as short or average size guys like to downplay these advantages because it makes us feel like we can make up for what they are naturally with some magical skill but the reality is they're a nightmare if used properly. The issue I saw was selfish play by Matthews & Garnet. Big kids running floor not getting passes, 0 looks on inside, Matthews jacking up I'll advise threes from halfcourt, no inside out, no screen role with the bigs, just pure low IQ greedy basketball. To be fair they have not been coached yet but delaware gaurds have never had to play with bigs & most coaches lack the knowledge on how to teach them. Smyrna ultimate success comes down to coaching and coaching rule number 1 should be if my bigs are running the floor working their ass of on defense, rebounding & u don't pass them the ball as a reward, U sit the bench.

Justabasketballfan/hoopsdownstate. Respect both of your opinion but I have to disagree. Watch them vs appo. Both bigs are better than I expected the issue is guards and delaware guards in general understanding how to play with and use bigs (something they never have had to do). The big kids are active, run the court well, defend, & can catch and finish. They create a nightmare with there size and aggressiveness by changing shoots rebounding and allowing gaurds to put more pressure on the parameter. We as short or average size guys like to downplay these advantages because it makes us feel like we can make up for what they are naturally with some magical skill but the reality is they're a nightmare if used properly. The issue I saw was selfish play by Matthews & Garnet. Big kids running floor not getting passes, 0 looks on inside, Matthews jacking up I'll advise threes from halfcourt, no inside out, no screen role with the bigs, just pure low IQ greedy basketball. To be fair they have not been coached yet but delaware gaurds have never had to play with bigs & most coaches lack the knowledge on how to teach them. Smyrna ultimate success comes down to coaching and coaching rule number 1 should be if my bigs are running the floor working their ass of on defense, rebounding & u don't pass them the ball as a reward, U sit the bench.
keep telling people its all about the pg and they simply dont have it... I dont care about they start 3 7 footers.. Without the guard getting them ball .... They going anywhere.. I still Think Cape will beat them... Appo is not that good either....

Well, I'm not that prude not to understand how to play with guys over 6'5.. but I totally get what your saying. But like anything on the court. If I pass you the ball several times and you can't it or you miss the lay up, then why keep passing it to you? but that will come in time when those guys have practice to work on those things. and that's what I saw. the guys not finishing around the rim with the passes and then the guards didn't trust passing them the ball. but shooting from half court and all that stuff should not tolerated.. but im not the coach and that is something they will have to deal with.. hopefully there better than what I saw

Those big guys did not have any problem catching the ball, playing hard, defending or running the floor which is the first things I look for in big kids. Now from a college recruiting perspective those bigs along with some of the kids that stayed does a lot to boost the stock of Delaware recruiting and draw many scouts into the state. This is a major bonus for all of our local kids that are willing to put in the work to achieve the goal of a college scholarship. I want to see more talent flow into this state and more flexibility with the rules that limit coaches ability to develop.

Last edited:
W
Those big guys did not have any problem catching the ball, playing hard, defending or running the floor which is the first things I look for in big kids. Now from a college recruiting perspective those bigs along with some of the kids that stayed does a lot to boost the stock of Delaware recruiting and draw many scouts into the state. This is a major bonus for all of our local kids that are willing to put in the work to achieve the goal of a college scholarship. I want to see more talent flow into this state and more flexibility with the rules that limit coaches ability to develop.
Well Said..not about bigs..but the topics

From what I see from fellow posters, Smyrna looks like the class of Henlopen conference. If so, they should have a lot of games where they can get the bigs into games and make THEM the focus of the offense. If they do this they would very tough come tournament time.

I hear what everyone is saying. And it seems the general consensus is that these sizable guys for Delaware will draws colleges here which will intern bring more options to the other talent players that are here. And that maybe true if these guys was major talent in this area. Yes the 7 footer bring some colleges here as well as the 6’10 kid. But I’m not seeing majors coming here. I’m thinking low mid majors at best. And with the style of small ball very effective in the pros which will intern have the colleges going in the same direction. They will be looking for more skilled 6’8, 6’9 players that put the ball on the floor. These guys don’t dominate the ball as a back to the basket players. So I’m sorry if a seem a little more optimistic about the draw these guys will bring to our state to help the rest of the masses here. I do wish they could. But I’m not buying what they are selling, at least not yet. Maybe they will improve in the next couple of years depending on their grade status. As far state champion I’m not sold on that too. I know they will make an impact on defense just on size alone. But I’m hearing some the kids telling me there going at those guys and there not intimidating or deterring them from getting to the basket and these are freshman that are telling me this. Now please don’t get me wrong. I want those guys to have main draw to attract colleges like anybody else. But there are lot of other talented kids that are hear that could draws colleges as well. And I guess Smyrna would have to prove me wrong by winning states this year. It will be hard to win against St. Elizabeth, and Mount pleasant and some of these other schools this year.

I hear what everyone is saying. And it seems the general consensus is that these sizable guys for Delaware will draws colleges here which will intern bring more options to the other talent players that are here. And that maybe true if these guys was major talent in this area. Yes the 7 footer bring some colleges here as well as the 6’10 kid. But I’m not seeing majors coming here. I’m thinking low mid majors at best. And with the style of small ball very effective in the pros which will intern have the colleges going in the same direction. They will be looking for more skilled 6’8, 6’9 players that put the ball on the floor. These guys don’t dominate the ball as a back to the basket players. So I’m sorry if a seem a little more optimistic about the draw these guys will bring to our state to help the rest of the masses here. I do wish they could. But I’m not buying what they are selling, at least not yet. Maybe they will improve in the next couple of years depending on their grade status. As far state champion I’m not sold on that too. I know they will make an impact on defense just on size alone. But I’m hearing some the kids telling me there going at those guys and there not intimidating or deterring them from getting to the basket and these are freshman that are telling me this. Now please don’t get me wrong. I want those guys to have main draw to attract colleges like anybody else. But there are lot of other talented kids that are hear that could draws colleges as well. And I guess Smyrna would have to prove me wrong by winning states this year. It will be hard to win against St. Elizabeth, and Mount pleasant and some of these other schools this year.
I agree... If they where so good .. They wouldnt have came to De period...its a guards World now ... Post up big Man is over.. Got to have guards. Size is good in highschool in De.. But Not at next level and pros....

I agree... If they where so good .. They wouldnt have came to De period...its a guards World now ... Post up big Man is over.. Got to have guards. Size is good in highschool in De.. But Not at next level and pros....

Actually you are both off. The number one player in the class of 2017 is De' Andre Aynton a 7'0 big. Average nba point guard 6'2" and up. What we are seeing in professional basketball is a shift in the way the game is played, more versatile players, loss of the mid range game, more speed and athleticism, deadly shooters that space defense. I agree that the traditional post up big is becoming a thing of the past but the athletic run the floor block shoots, rebound, defend and finish big with a high motor is very valuable. The second big that is very valuable is the very skilled bigs we see in Porzingus, Dirt, Odom, etc, stretch 4's or the talented 6'10 guards /forwards like Ben Simmons. The reality is I can make a 7'0 kid into whatever I want but a 5'7 guard is limited. We see that in Thorn Maker, 7'0 can handle like a guard, shoot and run the floor like one. The fact is small guards are a dime a dozen, talented or trainable big kid are hard to come by, trust me been doing this for years. Look at the list of schools recruiting kids in Delaware as an example of this, even mickey Dixon as talented a guard as he is only got lower level D1 offers. When I talk to coaches from the Big East, ACC, SEC, A10 etc the kids they mention here in Delaware is Duval, Ingraham, Ayala, Davis & 2 bigs at Smyrna. Non of these kids are below 6'0. Magic Johnson was 6'9 as a guard, I can train 6'9 to be a guard but I can not train 5'7 to be anything but 5'7 guard and at 5'7 good luck against the talented 6'5 guards. Lets get real Delaware and leave this wishful thinking alone those bigs at Smyrna will go major D1 they have something u cannot teach. These kids coming here is good for Delaware, we need to change the competitive culture down here if we want to compete with the rest of the nation, this resistance to change is wasteful. Our guards need to learn to play with bigs or they wont get any scholarships, specifically how to master the screen role game lets not waste any more time in the dark ages of Delaware 5'7" David vs Goliath mythology.

Actually you are both off. The number one player in the class of 2017 is De' Andre Aynton a 7'0 big. Average nba point guard 6'2" and up. What we are seeing in professional basketball is a shift in the way the game is played, more versatile players, loss of the mid range game, more speed and athleticism, deadly shooters that space defense. I agree that the traditional post up big is becoming a thing of the past but the athletic run the floor block shoots, rebound, defend and finish big with a high motor is very valuable. The second big that is very valuable is the very skilled bigs we see in Porzingus, Dirt, Odom, etc, stretch 4's or the talented 6'10 guards /forwards like Ben Simmons. The reality is I can make a 7'0 kid into whatever I want but a 5'7 guard is limited. We see that in Thorn Maker, 7'0 can handle like a guard, shoot and run the floor like one. The fact is small guards are a dime a dozen, talented or trainable big kid are hard to come by, trust me been doing this for years. Look at the list of schools recruiting kids in Delaware as an example of this, even mickey Dixon as talented a guard as he is only got lower level D1 offers. When I talk to coaches from the Big East, ACC, SEC, A10 etc the kids they mention here in Delaware is Duval, Ingraham, Ayala, Davis & 2 bigs at Smyrna. Non of these kids are below 6'0. Magic Johnson was 6'9 as a guard, I can train 6'9 to be a guard but I can not train 5'7 to be anything but 5'7 guard and at 5'7 good luck against the talented 6'5 guards. Lets get real Delaware and leave this wishful thinking alone those bigs at Smyrna will go major D1 they have something u cannot teach. These kids coming here is good for Delaware, we need to change the competitive culture down here if we want to compete with the rest of the nation, this resistance to change is wasteful. Our guards need to learn to play with bigs or they wont get any scholarships, specifically how to master the screen role game lets not waste any more time in the dark ages of Delaware 5'7" David vs Goliath
Davis will be by far the best D1 player... Watched him at mini camp USA on T.V... Light years where everybody else..

Davis is 6'5 and very talented, hoopsdownstate, u make my point. Could careless who better than who at this point. I only care that the small state of Delaware's kids are doing well and these kids represented us on a national scale. This is big & good for Delaware. As far as I'm concerned I hope Davis becomes number 1. But I'm also going to encourage & hope for the success of all of our kids & for that to happen we must raise all standards & change the culture. Davis, Zach Kent, myles, Smyrna bigs, Rawls, Ingraham, Cramer, Hyland, Duval, Ayala, money etc are all a part of this and many other talents not mentioned. See no point in diminishing progress by misrepresenting the value of those Smyrna bigs to maintain the status quo of mediocrity in this state when things are starting to look good.

Hey, hey, Delawaresportsjunkie, No one is disagreeing with anything you just said about the way the game is being played. Everything is a stretch. Stretch 4, and stretch 5 to make room for skilled players to get to the basket or to run multiple pick rolls with two skilled bigs. Now everything you name about is absolutely true. But those bigs in Smyrna aren’t them. And that s the point we are making. Someone commented that Smyrna should be a the number one team in the state. And I don’t see it

Smryna is not top 5.. Watchin them in fall league.. Guards not good at all.. St Thomas More is definely top 5.. Beat Smryna easily....

Smryna is not top 5.. Watchin them in fall league.. Guards not good at all.. St Thomas More is definely top 5.. Beat Smryna easily....

HAHAHAH that's funny I said the same thing and some people thought I was crazy when I said it.. or that my post shows that there not number 1 because they have a seven footer.. but im glad someone seen the same thing..

HAHAHAH that's funny I said the same thing and some people thought I was crazy when I said it.. or that my post shows that there not number 1 because they have a seven footer.. but im glad someone seen the same thing..
You got to be blind if you cant see that lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT