ADVERTISEMENT

Boys High School Pre- Pre Season For 2016-2017

Bad news for St. E and practice hasn't even started yet. Apparently Chris Cropper got hurt in football practice yesterday and is done for that season, basketball status TBD. Yikes.

[QUOif ="GateKeeperRefugee, post: 90584, member: 1594"]Bad news for St. E and practice hasn't even started yet. Apparently Chris Cropper got hurt in football practice yesterday and is done for that season, basketball status TBD. Yikes.[/QUOTE]
Wow if true.. Title hopes is very slim hope.. Hope he makes it back though....

Reactions: Justabasketballfan
The OP said St. E were deep and balanced..... Its a shame if that young man misses basketball season but his long term health is most important. I guess we will see how that coach performs.

Reactions: Dropping 3's
yeah depth at the big could be a problem. im sure they have more talented or a combination of players that could fill the void.. we will see. mount pleasant looks really tough.. fall league they have so much depth it will be hard to beat them

Reactions: jvm3
Practice starts two weeks from tomorrow, looking forward to the boys and girls seasons ahead because it's wide-open on both sides. We really won't know who's that good until the end of February, which is just how it should be.

Actually you are both off. The number one player in the class of 2017 is De' Andre Aynton a 7'0 big. Average nba point guard 6'2" and up. What we are seeing in professional basketball is a shift in the way the game is played, more versatile players, loss of the mid range game, more speed and athleticism, deadly shooters that space defense. I agree that the traditional post up big is becoming a thing of the past but the athletic run the floor block shoots, rebound, defend and finish big with a high motor is very valuable. The second big that is very valuable is the very skilled bigs we see in Porzingus, Dirt, Odom, etc, stretch 4's or the talented 6'10 guards /forwards like Ben Simmons. The reality is I can make a 7'0 kid into whatever I want but a 5'7 guard is limited. We see that in Thorn Maker, 7'0 can handle like a guard, shoot and run the floor like one. The fact is small guards are a dime a dozen, talented or trainable big kid are hard to come by, trust me been doing this for years. Look at the list of schools recruiting kids in Delaware as an example of this, even mickey Dixon as talented a guard as he is only got lower level D1 offers. When I talk to coaches from the Big East, ACC, SEC, A10 etc the kids they mention here in Delaware is Duval, Ingraham, Ayala, Davis & 2 bigs at Smyrna. Non of these kids are below 6'0. Magic Johnson was 6'9 as a guard, I can train 6'9 to be a guard but I can not train 5'7 to be anything but 5'7 guard and at 5'7 good luck against the talented 6'5 guards. Lets get real Delaware and leave this wishful thinking alone those bigs at Smyrna will go major D1 they have something u cannot teach. These kids coming here is good for Delaware, we need to change the competitive culture down here if we want to compete with the rest of the nation, this resistance to change is wasteful. Our guards need to learn to play with bigs or they wont get any scholarships, specifically how to master the screen role game lets not waste any more time in the dark ages of Delaware 5'7" David vs Goliath mythology.

I understand what you're trying to say but Michael Porter is the best player in the class of 2017. However the game is about heart and skill. No you can't teach size but all the size in the world doesn't beat anyone if you don't have the heart and desire to be great. Work ethic plays a huge part in how great a player becomes.

I love how everyone is overlooking Cape and their two returning players and their freshman that will be running the team this year. Ask any of these players that have played against Corey Barnes if they really want to go against him. He's about 6'2 and is built like a senior already. Cape can also have a starting 5 of over 6ft. If Re puts Randy at the 3 instead of the 4 position. I think Cape can cause a lot of problems as they grow throughout the season. Ian will also be a huge factor this year. No way they shouldn't get to the BOB this year and make some noise.

I understand what you're trying to say but Michael Porter is the best player in the class of 2017. However the game is about heart and skill. No you can't teach size but all the size in the world doesn't beat anyone if you don't have the heart and desire to be great. Work ethic plays a huge part in how great a player becomes.
At the elite level kids have it all, heart, work ethics, size, skill, u name it. what I see happening is more skilled big Kids like Greek freak, thon maker, Ben Simmons etc. Zack Kent 3rd team all state in delaware yet going to Big time SEC school to play for Rick Barnes at 6'10. Let's not kid ourselves where did Mickey Dixon, Jordan Allen or any of the others kids go (small mid majors for 2) which is still good because they're getting a free education but let's be real, many others got 0. Nothing wrong with smyrna bigs, they defend, run the floor well etc, they're not heartless or lazy, just raw. I can fix that by teaching skills and any major D1 school would look at it the same way if they have good grades, good attitude & willing to work. Most programs already have thousands of talented gaurds to choose from, what they need is workhorses on them boards.

Reactions: handsdownmandown
I love how everyone is overlooking Cape and their two returning players and their freshman that will be running the team this year. Ask any of these players that have played against Corey Barnes if they really want to go against him. He's about 6'2 and is built like a senior already. Cape can also have a starting 5 of over 6ft. If Re puts Randy at the 3 instead of the 4 position. I think Cape can cause a lot of problems as they grow throughout the season. Ian will also be a huge factor this year. No way they shouldn't get to the BOB this year and make some noise.
Fall leagues are almost over, have not seen cape. If cape wants to be a part of the conversation show us what u got, otherwise looks like another year of going home early vs northern delaware teams.

Davis and Barnes easily best freshman in state... Far as Cape goes as a team... Until they get a new coach they not going anywhere.. To not have that team in fall league tells you that coach aint doing his job.. So i dont want to hear nothing about Cape Until they get a coach is more comitted and not playing players because of politics....

At the elite level kids have it all, heart, work ethics, size, skill, u name it. what I see happening is more skilled big Kids like Greek freak, thon maker, Ben Simmons etc. Zack Kent 3rd team all state in delaware yet going to Big time SEC school to play for Rick Barnes at 6'10. Let's not kid ourselves where did Mickey Dixon, Jordan Allen or any of the others kids go (small mid majors for 2) which is still good because they're getting a free education but let's be real, many others got 0. Nothing wrong with smyrna bigs, they defend, run the floor well etc, they're not heartless or lazy, just raw. I can fix that by teaching skills and any major D1 school would look at it the same way if they have good grades, good attitude & willing to work. Most programs already have thousands of talented gaurds to choose from, what they need is workhorses on them boards.

Oh I respect that and you can't teach size but its not common to have the size needed to succeed at the next level. About 10 years ago or so Eric Boetang or however you spell his last name was the man here. Went to duke then transferred to I believe Arizona. Never heard from him since. Yes as you stated height is something you can't teach but I see a lot of the guards being tougher and able to compete on a national level even if it is a mid major. I think with recent success from Delaware guards on the next level and the ability to be signed while staying home. Hopefully our great guards that leave the state will stay.

Fall leagues are almost over, have not seen cape. If cape wants to be a part of the conversation show us what u got, otherwise looks like another year of going home early vs northern delaware teams.

I agree and I'm on record as not being a big Re fan. I don't believe he runs his team according to his talent but rather to his system which is a way to lose. It may keep some games close but when you have actual talent it is a liability. I think its crazy that they aren't playing as much as they can as a team. DIAA already has some crazy rules about when you can play as a team and coach so if you can play then kids def need to be playing to get better. With Cape having freshman being such a big part of the team I think its very important that they play as much as possible.

Davis and Barnes easily best freshman in state... Far as Cape goes as a team... Until they get a new coach they not going anywhere.. To not have that team in fall league tells you that coach aint doing his job.. So i dont want to hear nothing about Cape Until they get a coach is more comitted and not playing players because of politics....

You're obviously from the south because you know all about the politics that goes on and why Cape hasn't been as good as they should be. I agree with Davis and Barnes depending on what you're looking for you could go with either. I liked the kid from prestige academy last year too. Big kid about 6'4 or so. Not sure what school he will attend but I could see him doing good for himself. Re needs to go and someone who can coach the kids properly needs to be in charge.

I agree and I'm on record as not being a big Re fan. I don't believe he runs his team according to his talent but rather to his system which is a way to lose. It may keep some games close but when you have actual talent it is a liability. I think its crazy that they aren't playing as much as they can as a team. DIAA already has some crazy rules about when you can play as a team and coach so if you can play then kids def need to be playing to get better. With Cape having freshman being such a big part of the team I think its very important that they play as much as possible.
If Polytech has a team in fall league.. He doesnt have to coach them in fall league.. No head coaches do... That has nothing to do with it... Alot of downstate to teams doesnt show.. And you wonder why they wont bring a title back downstate....

You're obviously from the south because you know all about the politics that goes on and why Cape hasn't been as good as they should be. I agree with Davis and Barnes depending on what you're looking for you could go with either. I liked the kid from prestige academy last year too. Big kid about 6'4 or so. Not sure what school he will attend but I could see him doing good for himself. Re needs to go and someone who can coach the kids properly needs to be in charge.
The big problem downstate is coaching.... Upstate coaching light years ahead.. You think coach Stan going let his players sit around during football season and just work out .. No.. Have them play in every game they can play in...

The big problem downstate is coaching.... Upstate coaching light years ahead.. You think coach Stan going let his players sit around during football season and just work out .. No.. Have them play in every game they can play in...

agreed I love stan coaching and you always know his teams will be competitive even if they aren't quite there yet.

Reactions: jvm3
If Polytech has a team in fall league.. He doesnt have to coach them in fall league.. No head coaches do... That has nothing to do with it... Alot of downstate to teams doesnt show.. And you wonder why they wont bring a title back downstate....

Like I said I agree with you 100% you need to do more to win. Than just thinking your some hard nosed coach and wonder why you have issue with kids on a consistent basis.

I'm not sure how much more "winning" you guys think he could do. He might be have the most wins in Sussex County and it's not like he has stacked teams. He has yet to have a team like that Kyle White Cape team. They were LOADED.

Now he will have what I consider to be his BEST team thus far with a freshmen PG. Tbey will do well and Next year will be the year to determine how good he really is. Dude can Coach. Might not agree with all that he does (I'd like to see them play fall ball) but he has shown the ability to coach and get players to play.

I agree that his system could get in the way of his horses but knowing when to get out of the way and let your horses be horses is what makes a great coach. Coach K has a system but when he has horses he gets out of the way but when he needs that bucket he has his system in place and it's a beautiful thing.

I'm not sure how much more "winning" you guys think he could do. He might be have the most wins in Sussex County and it's not like he has stacked teams. He has yet to have a team like that Kyle White Cape team. They were LOADED.

Now he will have what I consider to be his BEST team thus far with a freshmen PG. Tbey will do well and Next year will be the year to determine how good he really is. Dude can Coach. Might not agree with all that he does (I'd like to see them play fall ball) but he has shown the ability to coach and get players to play.

I agree that his system could get in the way of his horses but knowing when to get out of the way and let your horses be horses is what makes a great coach. Coach K has a system but when he has horses he gets out of the way but when he needs that bucket he has his system in place and it's a beautiful thing.
Thats saying alot.... Most Wins in Sussex County...lol... Thats saying alot.. Cape be gone First or Second round... He holds back his players back period.... If Cape had 2 Corbin Kids wat wit they got now... They would be scary.. But Coach Re system stuck in the 70s... Man if you say he can coach... You is blind...

They lost to better teams lol. He does have some quality wins under his belt. He has beaten teams he was not supposed to beat. In fact he beat a WB team at WB in the playoffs and he sat his best player for discipline reasons (biggest win at Cape in 10 -15 years). I agree if he had Corbin brothers they would not be exiting the first round. He doesnt so he coaches what he has and gets the best from them. From what I see he has had sub part talent. What player did he hold back? CR, Tech, Milford and Dover have all had more talent but Cape has gone further in playoffs and they don't lose to Tech or Milford

As far as his system being stuck in the 70s that's actually a funny statement bc Wisconsin uses same system and they went to the chip. Tony Bennett runs similar system and he has Virginia ranked top 10 two or three years in a row.

I like to see kids get up and down the floor but I also believe given the talent he has had if he played that style of ball they would get CRUSHED. This year he has some horses that can run in the Kentucky derby. They can get up and down and I believe he will allow them to push it. If they all stay healthy tbey will make a good run and next year they could win it all.

They lost to better teams lol. He does have some quality wins under his belt. He has beaten teams he was not supposed to beat. In fact he beat a WB team at WB in the playoffs and he sat his best player for discipline reasons (biggest win at Cape in 10 -15 years). I agree if he had Corbin brothers they would not be exiting the first round. He doesnt so he coaches what he has and gets the best from them. From what I see he has had sub part talent. What player did he hold back? CR, Tech, Milford and Dover have all had more talent but Cape has gone further in playoffs and they don't lose to Tech or Milford

As far as his system being stuck in the 70s that's actually a funny statement bc Wisconsin uses same system and they went to the chip. Tony Bennett runs similar system and he has Virginia ranked top 10 two or three years in a row.

I like to see kids get up and down the floor but I also believe given the talent he has had if he played that style of ball they would get CRUSHED. This year he has some horses that can run in the Kentucky derby. They can get up and down and I believe he will allow them to push it. If they all stay healthy tbey will make a good run and next year they could win it all.
Lol.. His system will not allow them to get up and down the court.. Far as Wisconsin go made it 1 year... Lol .. That słów me down ball.. Will keep You playing in close games.. But not contend against upstate teams..That year they beat Woodbridge wasnt because of him.. They just didnt have an answer for Jon Warren...

Smh I digress
Lol you would say that... I was there when they beat Woodbridge... That wasnt an upset..lol... That year had Warren.. Floyd.. And Burton.. One didnt Play and still ran Woodbrige out the gym.. Cape was better team that year easily... They made it to finał 4 that year... With bum coach....that year they should of one it... But that wack slow the ball system.. Cost them..

Yea that last post proves your an idiot. They would have beat Sals with O'Neil and Donte? Yea your an idiot.

By the way that same WB team beat CR twice in a week to win conference. That same CR team sweep Cape in regular season smh.

You obviously don't like the coach so what ever he does won't be any good

I agree that his system doesn't fit the players he has. He is winning games and is at least making the playoffs, so he may not seem anything wrong with it. I would like to see Cape go back to an up tempo style similar to the Dwight Tingle era. Those years under Tingle Cape will throw many different full/half court press options that kept the opposing team rattled. They didn't have a team full of superstars, but they had players who knew and understood their role. I don't think sitting in a zone or a laid back man-to-man when you have the ability to ply 9-10 players make sense.

Reactions: hoopsdownstate
I agree that his system doesn't fit the players he has. He is winning games and is at least making the playoffs, so he may not seem anything wrong with it. I would like to see Cape go back to an up tempo style similar to the Dwight Tingle era. Those years under Tingle Cape will throw many different full/half court press options that kept the opposing team rattled. They didn't have a team full of superstars, but they had players who knew and understood their role. I don't think sitting in a zone or a laid back man-to-man when you have the ability to ply 9-10 players make sense.

Your a clown to bang Re , I guess being a stand up guy , who demands respect from his players , has tough discipline and builds men in his program is not warranted anymore out of a coach. Plus the man can flat out coach , everyone is so worried about their kid being the man than becoming a man ! I know him personally and my son played for him , it's much easier to bash him when you don't know a thing

Your a clown to bang Re , I guess being a stand up guy , who demands respect from his players , has tough discipline and builds men in his program is not warranted anymore out of a coach. Plus the man can flat out coach , everyone is so worried about their kid being the man than becoming a man ! I know him personally and my son played for him , it's much easier to bash him when you don't know a thing
Lol.. Iam just talking about his coaching on court.. Not Wat he does off the court.... Flat out coach..lol.. That was funny... We will see this year... . Got alot of horses... If dont make it to the Bob its a failed year period.....

Reactions: basketball24/7
Forgot people down Lewes just stuck on just wining girls and boys lac.. And field hockey... Smh.... But if you think he can coach.. You crazy. Its all about politics down at Cape.. Thats why they will never win a title in Baseball.. Basketball.. And Football for another 20 years.. Just because your parents lawyers and Doctors doesnt mean you have to play them...Smh..

Forgot people down Lewes just stuck on just wining girls and boys lac.. And field hockey... Smh.... But if you think he can coach.. You crazy. Its all about politics down at Cape.. Thats why they will never win a title in Baseball.. Basketball.. And Football for another 20 years.. Just because your parents lawyers and Doctors doesnt mean you have to play them...Smh..

Stuck on winning? My point exactly , I can tell your the type who's kid would avg 25 pts a game and the team be 2-16 and you cry about being honorable mention all conference #clown

Stuck on winning? My point exactly , I can tell your the type who's kid would avg 25 pts a game and the team be 2-16 and you cry about being honorable mention all conference #clown
lol.. I can tell you the type dont care if your school win or loose . as long as they become men.. Smh.. Stay down there at Cape and win field hockey and Lac.. Lol..

lol.. I can tell you the type dont care if your school win or loose . as long as they become men.. Smh.. Stay down there at Cape and win field hockey and Lac.. Lol..

That's 15 minutes of my life waisted I'll never get back , your exactly what's wrong with this world !

Coach Re is a great person but his style of play limits his kids at Cape he would be a great coach at one of those rich private schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT