ADVERTISEMENT

Coach of the Year

BriggsBeall

moving up to Varsity
Dec 21, 2011
With the regular season over, time for an award or two from DePreps posters:

Coach of the Year for me is Christensen from Wm Penn. He lost key players from last year's team. This year he doesn't have a strong front line, only one or two legitimate scorers and only goes about 6-7 deep. Plays in tough conference (7 teams from Flight A in the tournament). And finished with 17-3 record good for tie for best record in conference.

Who else is in the running?

With the regular season over, time for an award or two from DePreps posters:

Coach of the Year for me is Christensen from Wm Penn. He lost key players from last year's team. This year he doesn't have a strong front line, only one or two legitimate scorers and only goes about 6-7 deep. Plays in tough conference (7 teams from Flight A in the tournament). And finished with 17-3 record good for tie for best record in conference.

Who else is in the running?
How about the women who coaches the team that won their game?

That guy in Hockessin is coach of the year, won't win it though....
Lost Ayala before the season, Lost Walsh for what seemed forever due to injury, then lost Davis, and with all that loss, the team continued to run like a well oiled machine....

I say Waterman this year. Losing Ayala I thought would be a big blow but looking at their strong schedule and beating Chester, West Charlotte, etc. Almost beating that #3 team in country at Slam dunk was impressive. He usually has more talent and he wouldn't get my vote but this year I think he deserves it. After Mikey, then what??? Walsh and an 8th grader? Sanford system obviously works.

Stan deserves it this year, 2nd Christensen, 3rd mp coach. Graduation is going to hurt, a lot of talented seniors moving on from all 3 programs. Would like to see Stan take a college job or at lease move to a Catholic, charter, Middletown school district or tech high school. Don't think the environment at Sanford is basketball program friendly anymore with the new head of school. That affects financial aid & admissions, which ultimately affects future talent acquisitions. The moment he moves to an easily accessible school or gets backed by a motivated alum with deep pockets there will be a talent vacuum into his program & a rise to national prominence.

Last edited:
If this new head of school knew what was good for Sanford, they'd keep Stan around.

As far as coach of the year, I agree with Christensen getting the most out of what he has, but Lisa's been able to keep that team with all that talent (and a bit of ego lol) in order and focused on the task at hand and that's not an easy job.

Stan deserves it this year, 2nd Christensen, 3rd mp coach. Graduation is going to hurt, a lot of talented seniors moving on from all 3 programs. Would like to see Stan take a college job or at lease move to a Catholic, charter, Middletown school district or tech high school. Don't think the environment at Sanford is basketball program friendly anymore with the new head of school. That affects financial aid & admissions, which ultimately affects future talent acquisitions. The moment he moves to an easily accessible school or gets backed by a motivated alum with deep pockets there will be a talent vacuum into his program & a rise to national prominence.

New head of school? You mean the guy that's been there 5 years? I guess Davis didn't know that when he came? You must have an agenda.

Reactions: jvm3
What defines greatness in coaching is not what a coach does in any given game or even in any given season. What defines greatness is consistency of achievement. I think Waterman gets COY. But I KNOW he gets the Coaching Lifetime Achievement Award.
As for the post claiming that all Waterman has after Dixon is "Walsh and a freshman" -- seems to me that guy has not been watching the same team everyone else has been watching. Poor guy! Missed a great season.

New head of school? You mean the guy that's been there 5 years? I guess Davis didn't know that when he came? You must have an agenda.

Lol, Absolutely, want that powerhouse delaware program to take on the nation & he's that guy to lead, and he has the right staff, but he needs more talent. Was on the edge of my seat when they almost took down La Lamiere. Think about it pksundevil, the talent he needs are in that pivotal year with the DIAA rules transfer. Sanford 25,000 a year La Lameire 56,000, westtown 29,000. To build into the future u either gotta have more institutional support or a motivated alum. Those schools have both. My agenda is to move delaware basketball into the 21 century. Just stiring the pot.

Last edited:
This is isn't even a question.....Its Waterman. They toyed with WEAK Delaware competition and then knocked off a couple of out of state power houses and ALMOST beat La Lumeier down at the beach.

I would go with Christensen. It wouldnt be wrong if Stan or Lisa got it but we expected Sanford and Mount to be good this year We didnt expect William penn to have this type of year I didn't see anyone say to much about them or pick them before the season started.

I agree with all you all with Stan, I am probably being biased but agree he lost Ayala, has turned Dixon into one of best in the country, has an 8th grader playing great against higher competition, and not only puts his team against stronger competition from other states but holds his own against them, really would like to see him move up to the college ranks(UD) but should he give up the security and longevity he has at Sanford if he has 1 or 2 loosing seasons in the college ranks and they decide to move on. Think he will be great anywhere he goes, but he has it made at Sanford, also has so much support from former players, current players and parents, what do you all think??

After the current class graduates with Mikey, Kyle, Walsh & the others the bigest talent he has left is Davis. Granted there has always been a constant flow of talent throughout the years but I think it becomes more difficult to get and keep talent @ 25,000 yearly tuition without help. Even if u break that in half it's still 12,500 a year which not a lot of talented kids parents can afford or are willing to pay. So financial aid funding is critical. Then u have to contend with DIAA silliness with the rules. Delaware is behind the nation in this regard because many of our private schools locally don't understand from a business perspective that good academics and athletics compliment each other. These & other school activities help keep communities, alumi, and the student body involved in the institution which supports long term education funding. Without Stan, Sanford just another private school. U can get good private school academics cheaper at caravel, red lion, tatnall, st. E, etc. He puts them on the map so I think they need to offer him as much support as he needs.

Mears-Smyrna
Voted Coach of the Year for the Henlopen Conference.
He deserves to be in the conversation!!

I was wondering if we were gonna a Henlopen nominee. I think Mears is in the conversation. I say that because I have seen a big improvement from beginning of season. He is building a nice program in Smyrna. In the discussion, but not with the 3 being discussed IMO....not this year.

After the current class graduates with Mikey, Kyle, Walsh & the others the bigest talent he has left is Davis. Granted there has always been a constant flow of talent throughout the years but I think it becomes more difficult to get and keep talent @ 25,000 yearly tuition without help. Even if u break that in half it's still 12,500 a year which not a lot of talented kids parents can afford or are willing to pay. So financial aid funding is critical. Then u have to contend with DIAA silliness with the rules. Delaware is behind the nation in this regard because many of our private schools locally don't understand from a business perspective that good academics and athletics compliment each other. These & other school activities help keep communities, alumi, and the student body involved in the institution which supports long term education funding. Without Stan, Sanford just another private school. U can get good private school academics cheaper at caravel, red lion, tatnall, st. E, etc. He puts them on the map so I think they need to offer him as much support as he needs.
DIAA Rules??? Had to laugh at that.
Dixon is the POY. Saw him and no argument. BUT, how did he get a 5th year? Played 8th grade, arrived at Sanford and repeated 8th. I know they are one building, blah blah. Rule states you burn the 8th grade year its gone... DIAA allows "reclassifying"?

soccer07 there is no such thing as burning your 8th grade year.. the 4 year clock starts when you take a HS class.. you could repeat 8th grade 3 times and still have 4 years of HS eligibility.. only the age cut-off will get you

Dixon is the POY. Saw him and no argument. BUT, how did he get a 5th year? Played 8th grade, arrived at Sanford and repeated 8th. I know they are one building, blah blah. Rule states you burn the 8th grade year its gone... DIAA allows "reclassifying"?

Wow! So he's almost or is close to being out of his teens. That a advantage all to itself

So let me get this straight this is his 6th year of highschool Basketball?

No the first time he appears on Sanford's Varsity or JV roster is as a Freshman.... He is not a 5th year.. may have repeated 8th when going to Sanford but it doesn't appear he played HS ..most likely middle school.... but you are correct theoretically you "could" play HS as a 8th... repeat 8th and play again and still get 4 years of HS if you have the right birthdate... although I believe DIAA put some rules in last year to curb that...like you have to be at the school more than a year to play HS as a 8th.. meaning you cant transfer in as a 8th and play HS. You would have to have been there as a 7th or before to play HS

Last edited:
Mears-Smyrna
Voted Coach of the Year for the Henlopen Conference.
He deserves to be in the conversation!!

Coach wilson from Dover should be in conversation. IMO should have been conference coach of year-went undefeated in the conference..... Beat Smyrna 2x...Not taking anything from Mears.... A little unusual

I agree Coach Wilson should be in the conversion, maybe the Henlopen Conference coach's felt he should have won with Dover's personal but hats off to him for pulling it altogether.

Fullcourt Bob lol what r u talking bout. U agree with my COY. All I am saying is Stan did a great job with less talent this year. After Dixon, his next top guys are Walsh and the 8th grader he is not a freshman. Kyle is solid but who else really scares you on that team? The system works

Reactions: crazaj
soccer07 there is no such thing as burning your 8th grade year.. the 4 year clock starts when you take a HS class.. you could repeat 8th grade 3 times and still have 4 years of HS eligibility.. only the age cut-off will get you

2.7.2 Satisfactory completion of studies in accordance with promotion policies established by the local governing body shall determine when a student is beyond the eighth grade. If the eighth grade is part of the same administrative unit as grades 9 through 12, participation on the part of an eighth grade student toward five (5) years of eligibility shall be at the discretion of the individual school.

2.7.2.1 Eighth grade students who are enrolled or transfer to schools that meet the above criteria begin their five years of eligibility for high school athletic participation the first year they enter eighth grade.

Not what this says..

yo guys, you all really know your basketball stuff, but what do u really think of Stan going up to college ranks??. Think he will be great, but does he give up Sanford and that longevity and security to take a risk?? I think he would be a really great college coach seen his rep in the HS level

2.7.2 Satisfactory completion of studies in accordance with promotion policies established by the local governing body shall determine when a student is beyond the eighth grade. If the eighth grade is part of the same administrative unit as grades 9 through 12, participation on the part of an eighth grade student toward five (5) years of eligibility shall be at the discretion of the individual school.

2.7.2.1 Eighth grade students who are enrolled or transfer to schools that meet the above criteria begin their five years of eligibility for high school athletic participation the first year they enter eighth grade.

Not what this says..

So the Sanford kid is 20 years old?

Not what this says..

Good find.. I haven't run across that rule in print... in the case of Dixon though it doesn't matter.. He didn't play for the HS team until he was a Freshman according to Sanford rosters.. That second part I believe is new and was put in either a year ago or two so that would not effect Dixon either.. IMO I do remember reading some DIAA meeting minutes when this was being discussed and voted on.. It was put in to curb the re-classing of 8th graders when they transfer to a private that has middle school in the same building..

Last edited:
Soccer07, There are about six or seven reclass kids I know off right in front of your eyes. Difference, they're not as successful. Reclassification doesn't make u stronger, strength training does that, it doesn't make your game better, time in the gym does that. He is successful because he works hard and is dedicated. A lot of kids are not sucessful because they don't. How many lazy kids we get that sit around on their ass all summer & cannot do ten proper pushups. 0 improvement every year then have the nerve to bitch about playing time. Reclassification don't cure laziness. So to reference any success he has to him being nineteen is a farce, plenty of bummy lazy ass nineteen year olds playing ball. The kid has talent and work ethics which is why he's sucessful, Quinnipiac agrees with my assessment & rewarded him a full ride. I will defend a hard working young man to the end. Your kid ain't that good because they either don't have the talent or the dedication, stop looking for excuses. Great job Mikey.

Last edited:
Reactions: jvm3 and sals2011
2.1.1 Students who become 19 years of age on or after June 15 immediately preceding the school year shall be eligible for all sports during the current school year provided all othereligibility requirements are met. In determining the age of a contestant, the birth date as entered on the birth record of the Bureau of Vital Statistics shall be required and shall be so certified on all eligibility lists.

So the Sanford kid is 20 years old?

Do you really think the kid is 20 yrs old? It seems like you are really trying to stir the pot right now. The whole reclass thing has been going on for a while & there are numerous kids that we have praised in the past who have taken that route. There are some kids that start school early & reclass so they actually still graduate at 18...not always the case but this is an example. I graduated at 17 cuz of a late November birthday so technically I could have reclassed twice & still been elgible to play & graduate at 19.

Not trying to stir the pot. My post was simply stating the DIAA age rule to educate those who like to speculate. I believe Mikey and Sanford are 100% playing by the rules.

@delawaresportsjunkie i couldn't agree more with your take on Dixon. His work ethic and dedication will pay dividends in life.

All the questions sound like sour grapes to me. If no one else has raised the question, why is it an issue now? Probably because there is no issue. Dixon is an eligible student and the best player in the state this year, why not enjoy what he's done?

Soccer07, There are about six or seven reclass kids I know off right in front of your eyes. Difference, they're not as successful. Reclassification doesn't make u stronger, strength training does that, it doesn't make your game better, time in the gym does that. He is successful because he works hard and is dedicated. A lot of kids are not sucessful because they don't. How many lazy kids we get that sit around on their ass all summer & cannot do ten proper pushups. 0 improvement every year then have the nerve to bitch about playing time. Reclassification don't cure laziness. So to reference any success he has to him being nineteen is a farce, plenty of bummy lazy ass nineteen year olds playing ball. The kid has talent and work ethics which is why he's sucessful, Quinnipiac agrees with my assessment & rewarded him a full ride. I will defend a hard working young man to the end. Your kid ain't that good because they either don't have the talent or the dedication, stop looking for excuses. Great job Mikey.
Never took anything away from Dixon. I said clearly he is the best player in the state. I simply took exception with DIAA and the enforcement of their own rules. Never took exception with his future opportunities. I am impressed you were able to get Quinnipiac to offer him a full ride. Tell me how a kid can go from Private to Private in 11th grade and still be eligible to play football? Thank you RR. I was not aware he didn't play til his 9th grade season.

Never took anything away from Dixon. I said clearly he is the best player in the state. I simply took exception with DIAA and the enforcement of their own rules. Never took exception with his future opportunities. I am impressed you were able to get Quinnipiac to offer him a full ride. Tell me how a kid can go from Private to Private in 11th grade and still be eligible to play football? Thank you RR. I was not aware he didn't play til his 9th grade season.

Well if it is the kid I think you are talking about he got a hardship waiver and it was deserved.. I am not going to post the issue here as the hardship waivers are private matters between the kid, parents and DIAA.. but all was done right and legal per the rules..

A kid should be able to go from private to private, public to public as much as them and their parents willing to foot the bill within that 4 years of eligibility. That particular rule is silly. The rules as they currently exist protect institutions, lazy coaches, lazy players. Guys like Stan, Myers, Christensen, Griffin, etc don't fear players leaving because they have coaching talent. Nor does the Smyrna & Sallies coach in football. Kids and parents want to be associated with coaches willing to develop, take on tough competition and exposed them to opportunities beyond Delaware. The kids I see all summer at the park, in the gym, on the circuit, in the weight room are the same ones who succeeding now. Look at Davis for Sanford, putting in work all summer, better than most seniors in this state, he plays up. The rules should benefit those willing to work hard and penalize the lazy. I had nothing to do with Dixon getting a scholarship, I just Was fortunate to obsevrved his work ethic, he earn that on his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Next-Up
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT