ADVERTISEMENT

David Sills: Say What???

Situation, I don’t think Wendell can be on the practice squad. It is only for players with two or less years in the league. There is a pretty complex formula for what is called a year, like if he is carried on a roster for six games out a season along with other things.

Reactions: Dropping 3's
There is enough of a need for a 3rd or 4th back Someone will pick him up. He can probably squeeze out a couple more years or he can go to the XFL

Last edited:
Who is eligible for a spot on the practice squad?
  • Each team can keep 10 players on its practice squad. Eight teams are allowed an 11th player as part of the league’s International Player Development Program.
  • Up to four of those 10 players can have two accrued NFL seasons. So, was a player on the 53-man roster for at least six games of two NFL seasons? Sorry, they’re out of luck.
  • It used to be that three weeks of an NFL season spent on a practice squad counted as one full season of practice squad eligibility. Now, that number has been increased to six weeks, which expands some players’ eligibility.
  • A player can spend no more than three seasons on any practice squad.

Smallwood would be eligible for practice squad if the team wants to make him one of the 4 of 10 but normally PS players are rookies and undrafted invites

Would Smallwood go back to 8K a week if he makes the practice squad? When are cuts and are they televised?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...pdates-notable-cuts/2q8gxf8bny0v16lj4nhpx7vwt

Because of how NFL roster cuts work in 2019, when coaches have to trim their rosters from 90 players all the way down to 53 in one period, news and updates from around the league will be coming fast and furious before the 4 p.m. ET deadline on Saturday, Aug. 31. That's where our live tracker comes in.

Thanks Black in Back 86. Rest assured I will be tuned in as the cuts come down. Anyone else the that Red Lion DE/ ECA Elkton MD gang getting cut?

How the hell would I know? You think I care so much but I don’t. I barely even follow the NFL. I am certainly not emotionally invested in any team or player for that matter

Looking at the cut lists is somewhat of a sobering effect. All those names most you never heard of all were studs and stars on their respective high school teams and very good D1 college players to boot.. welp most of them have to get a job now. Hope they made the most of the free education and got an employable degree

For some reason I feel compelled to respond to Situations request,, but I will include 302 kids I know of as well

Jags- Eli Ankou- RLCA - UCLA- made it
Jags- Quadree Henderson- AI-Pitt- cut
Eagles- Wendell Smallwood- RLCA/ECA- WVU- Cut
Bills- David Sills- RLCA/ECA- WVU- Cut
Texans- Angelo Blackson- RLCA-Auburn- going on into 5th year signing a 15 mil 3 year extension last March
Rams- Troy Reeder- Sallies- Penn State/UD- made it

Blackson is a great story.. besides the family and home issues which is a story in and of itself but when he came to Red Lion he was a basketball player and was seeking that. RLCA was building a hoop program before the football thing with the Virgin Islands kids. The Flash guys talked him into playing football which he never played before. Actually he had a Syracuse offer for hoops before his Auburn football offer. Sills obviously kick started the football thing with his USC offer and commit but when Angelo got offered from Auburn it showed it wasn't just a rich kid thing and kicked it into overdrive with kids wanting to come there thinking they could get offered also. Many of them ultimately did at least the RLCA/ECA kids. Not so much the solely ECA kids.. I think the oversight of RLCA added to the educational process and elimination. ECA was come all free all and didnt work out as well

Last edited:
Reactions: TruthSerum1
There are a few Delaware High School teams that are 'light' on coaches compared to others - Hodgson, MT and WP have like 15+ now.

32 Teams goes from 90 -->53 that is over 1100 players - there goes the August unemployment number!

Keep in mind, close to 320 of that 1100 will be signed to a practice squad giving them another chance/opportunity.

And to think that just because you get put on the practice squad does nothing, I say to those people to look at my Baltimore Ravens. RB Alex Collins, and now RB Gus Edwards started on the PS and later became a starter. It can happen, it just means you have to work a litter harder

10 x 32 will get practice squad jobs that is 320 making about 120k not a bad gig while you figure out your next profession

Which makes one think. You chase this dream and in the process you get a degree in a field you are interested in (hopefully) some just get degrees in fields that take talent in another areas other than playing a game like sports broadcasting or acting or a meaningless degree in some heritage studies.. never the less at what point do you give up abusing your body and get on with a career?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT