ADVERTISEMENT

FNL Scores week 9

Milford PA announcer has to be most annoying in state. Just give me down and distance, not "that run is a credit to hours in the weight room each summer wjen no one is watching." Cmon man.
Oh wait, I get it now.
You are talking about what the announcer said after Milford went on a 94 yard TD march in about 8 minutes in the fourth quarter, never putting the ball in the air, following two goal line stands. Yeah, your right, the weight room had nothing to do with that.

Last edited:
At Marks has beaten the Slowskys 4 out of the last 7 games. In only 2 of the games - both in 2010 did Sparty have more talent. In 2011 and 2014 Sparty beat superior Slowsky talent. St. Marks has their number when it counts. This is the perfect set up for a big upset.

True. That's why it will be a stunner.

The 2014 St Marks team had more talent then Sallies. Only Delaware team better than them was Penn that year.

Reactions: runningman12001
Don't know if St. Mark's can beat Sallies but after seeing them for the fourth (I just go where they tell me to go) time this season, I know those kids won't back down. Sallies might be bigger and more talented, but I think the Spartans will definitely show up next Friday night.

Reactions: delawarenole
At Marks has beaten the Slowskys 4 out of the last 7 games. In only 2 of the games - both in 2010 did Sparty have more talent. In 2011 and 2014 Sparty beat superior Slowsky talent. St. Marks has their number when it counts. This is the perfect set up for a big upset.

True. That's why it will be a stunner.

Uncle Bummy, reading your posts has given me a great idea for a position that you seem well qualified for..."Political Campaign Ad Writer". Imagine, you find the opposition candidate has underpaid his income taxes by $1. Your response..."Joe Blow is a Tax Cheat". Case in point here, "they have won 4 of the past 7 games". Why stop there? Going back to 2006 there have been 13 games and the Broom Streeters have won 8. Over the many years STM has won on average once every three years. Its not their year. My favorite coach John Wilson will get his team points but if #8 is healthy, strength takes over and the game goes the Sals way by midway thru the third quarter. Heck, BDN might open it up with a couple of passes. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The 2014 St Marks team had more talent then Sallies. Only Delaware team better than them was Penn that year.

You may be right. I would have to go back and look at rosters and a couple other things. Here is what sticks in my mind. Penn opened and closed the season with beat downs of SMH. I think Penn shut them out in game one and put up 6 TDs in the title game ( which I witnessed)

I saw the Slowskys cough up a lead in their loss to St Marks but more mysteriously to me was how close the Slowsky - Penn game was. Penn 16 - Slowskys 10. Slowskys had their usual special teams meltdown. A fumbled punt return led to one Penn score and later there was a Penn kick off return by a kid who transferred to Penn for his Senior year. (I saw 2 Slowsky games that year and that was it.)

St. Marks beat the Slowskys but I thought the Big S had more talent on the hoof. If you saw both teams more frequently than me...I will acquiesce to your informed opinion.

One closing comment. In the opening round of the tournament at Sussex Tech I believe Sowskys gave up an opening kick off and fell apart .......and had to come from way behind. Maybe you're right. How can a talented group be so wretched on special teams?

This year's Slowksy's "not so talented team" is also wretched on special teams. Spot a pattern here.

Last edited:
Uncle Bummy, reading your posts has given me a great idea for a position that you seem well qualified for..."Political Campaign Ad Writer". Imagine, you find the opposition candidate has underpaid his income taxes by $1. Your response..."Joe Blow is a Tax Cheat". Case in point here, "they have won 4 of the past 7 games". Why stop there? Going back to 2006 there have been 13 games and the Broom Streeters have won 8. Over the many years STM has won on average once every three years. Its not their year. My favorite coach John Wilson will get his team points but if #8 is healthy, strength takes over and the game goes the Sals way by midway thru the third quarter. Heck, BDN might open it up with a couple of passes. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I like # 8. I think I said he reminded me of Matt Snell from Ohio State. Good luck to all.

RR CA is earning most of those penalties but some were very questionable.
Oh wait, I get it now.
You are talking about what the announcer said after Milford went on a 94 yard TD march in
about 8 minutes in the fourth quarter, never putting the ball in the air, following two goal line stands. Yeah, your right, the weight room had nothing to do with that.

It did, but stadium announcing is not radio or tv color commentary. Give the bare bones, pertinent info, then STFU.

You had me until you said BDN passes and then I realized you were hitting the sauce

Reactions: Jawnsky
RR CA is earning most of those penalties but some were very questionable.

It did, but stadium announcing is not radio or tv color commentary. Give the bare bones, pertinent info, then STFU.
The best is when I hear a game announcer calling the play as it happens "he is running left etc... like he is on the radio..

You may be right. I would have to go back and look at rosters and a couple other things. Here is what sticks in my mind. Penn opened and closed the season with beat downs of SMH. I think Penn shut them out in game one and put up 6 TDs in the title game ( which I witnessed)

I saw the Slowskys cough up a lead in their loss to St Marks but more mysteriously to me was how close the Slowsky - Penn game was. Penn 16 - Slowskys 10. Slowskys had their usual special teams meltdown. A fumbled punt return led to one Penn score and later there was a Penn kick off return by a kid who transferred to Penn for his Senior year. (I saw 2 Slowsky games that year and that was it.)

St. Marks beat the Slowskys but I thought the Big S had more talent on the hoof. If you saw both teams more frequently than me...I will acquiesce to your informed opinion.

One closing comment. In the opening round of the tournament at Sussex Tech I believe Sowskys gave up an opening kick off and fell apart .......and had to come from way behind. Maybe you're right. How can a talented group be so wretched on special teams?

This year's Slowksy's "not so talented team" is also wretched on special teams. Spot a pattern here.

Uncle Bummy; if the Sals have a "special teams coordinator", I think the extent of his work is to tell them they are "special" and that is all. Last year in the semi's they let MT back in the game with a KOR right up the middle. They had a week to fix it. The next week in the Championship, the exact same play again. Looking back, I think that was the deciding factor in the game. This season, they were burned by Smyrna on the first play of the game and by Penn to start the half. If some are in fact Slowski's then they must all be on kick-offs. Glad I'm not a coach.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
The best is when I hear a game announcer calling the play as it happens "he is running left etc... like he is on the radio..
Craig Carney does a good job at Caravel games. Last week at Cape, the announcer was annoyingly bad, and ear-splittingly loud. Bad combo.

Funny you mention the Cape announcer. Last night there were times I wondered if he was watching the same game the rest of us were... Must agree that Delmar and Milford announcers are annoying but at least Delmar guy is kind of funny and obviously just loves his team. Another of those thankless jobs it seems hard to get help for though, so credit to all willing to do it.

Craig Carney does a good job at Caravel games. Last week at Cape, the announcer was annoyingly bad, and ear-splittingly loud. Bad combo.
Craig does a nice job. I'm sure that's why he does the tourney games at UD.

Uncle Bummy; if the Sals have a "special teams coordinator", I think the extent of his work is to tell them they are "special" and that is all. Last year in the semi's they let MT back in the game with a KOR right up the middle. They had a week to fix it. The next week in the Championship, the exact same play again. Looking back, I think that was the deciding factor in the game. This season, they were burned by Smyrna on the first play of the game and by Penn to start the half. If some are in fact Slowski's then they must all be on kick-offs. Glad I'm not a coach.

I like to have fun with some of my comments. The coaching staff on Broom St. probably has lost some sleep with special teams play over the past couple of years. When you see the same problems re-occur it is fair to ask questions. I am also glad I am not a coach....If a team has a burner I would probably squib....if that is the correct term....

The Sals coaching staff have lost no sleep on special teams, they have made no adjustments, still burn multiple time outs, let up big returns, fumble kick offs, never go for 2 even when your kicker is under 90%, you can go back to most of their big losses over the last 6 years and you will find a special teams major blunder that significantly contributed to the loss, MT, SMH, Poly Prep, Smyrna, Penn, ST, and all the coaches do is blame the kids and say it's execution

Reactions: Jawnsky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT