ADVERTISEMENT

New Rankings

Oh I think more people care than that because the subject keeps coming up every week it seems?

Yea I think a good number of people care to some degree but would be naive to think it hasn’t occurred for many years in many schools across the state.

Oh I think more people care than that because the subject keeps coming up every week it seems?
Schools with good programs and open enrollment have an advantage for sure. But they make their own luck also. The balance of power shifts with the choices 14 year olds and their parents make. Right now Milford and caravel are getting the "recruits" smyrna and CR obviously have gotten their fair share. Sanford had a little run and St. Mark's had an epic run. Getting 8th graders to group together and come together is more art than science

Polytech only has about 1200 kids. They were in the championship finals against Smyrna in 2015, that was also the year they had 4 state champs. But it’s not like they can recruit kids with the lottery system. Agreed, they may not be a threat to CR, but CR has definitely lost some good middle school wrestlers to Poly simply because they wanted to go to Poly.

Reactions: NJStrong
Gotcha. So do you think cr will not be good next few years ?

that's what I said, unless they do some serious recruiting. look at the past and who they have recruited before. scarfo, hight, harrington, and so many more under howell, and lets not forget that cr had austin price before he transferred to polytech. rigby has done his fair share of recruiting as well hayes, dean, degraffinreed. all starters on varsity. but cr has got lucky with some gems coming from pms/fms. you have anderson, hudson, tracy, primo, wisniewski. however imagine if they had also had evan harris, tascione or the others that went to poly from pms/fms. thinking waski, walker, jones, greenly to name a few or if they had encouraged some middle school wrestlers to continue in hs, one stand out in ms was wagenhoffer. as you can see I follow middle school wrestling more. as for my 2 cents in milford, those transfers in are hammer kids which shows having a club use your facility helps a hs wrestling. cr used to have tyrants, hight and harrington were tyrants, enough said. never said they wouldn't be good, just made an observation that they seem to be lacking in the recruiting of young guys, no stand out freshman at all, enough said. and as for their young riders, nothing impressive coming from there either in years. even wisniewski, primo and dean were little smyrna wrestlers.

Polytech only has about 1200 kids. They were in the championship finals against Smyrna in 2015, that was also the year they had 4 state champs. But it’s not like they can recruit kids with the lottery system. Agreed, they may not be a threat to CR, but CR has definitely lost some good middle school wrestlers to Poly simply because they wanted to go to Poly.
Having to go to a true lottery for DE tech schools has definitely been a wake up.

that's what I said, unless they do some serious recruiting. look at the past and who they have recruited before. scarfo, hight, harrington, and so many more under howell, and lets not forget that cr had austin price before he transferred to polytech. rigby has done his fair share of recruiting as well hayes, dean, degraffinreed. all starters on varsity. but cr has got lucky with some gems coming from pms/fms. you have anderson, hudson, tracy, primo, wisniewski. however imagine if they had also had evan harris, tascione or the others that went to poly from pms/fms. thinking waski, walker, jones, greenly to name a few or if they had encouraged some middle school wrestlers to continue in hs, one stand out in ms was wagenhoffer. as you can see I follow middle school wrestling more. as for my 2 cents in milford, those transfers in are hammer kids which shows having a club use your facility helps a hs wrestling. cr used to have tyrants, hight and harrington were tyrants, enough said. never said they wouldn't be good, just made an observation that they seem to be lacking in the recruiting of young guys, no stand out freshman at all, enough said. and as for their young riders, nothing impressive coming from there either in years. even wisniewski, primo and dean were little smyrna wrestlers.
That's good insight

Milford has also lost a lot of tough wrestlers.. 2 of the best. Cody Combs & C hayes

I’ve always tried to measure a program by how well they compete with what they have. The talent will find its way to the best rooms. It’s the teams that make mediocre wrestlers into studs that are the solid programs.

I’ve always tried to measure a program by how well they compete with what they have. The talent will find its way to the best rooms. It’s the teams that make mediocre wrestlers into studs that are the solid programs.

There are teams in the state that always find a way to turn those mediocre wrestlers into studs.

Coaching makes a big difference... looks at what Rigby did at Milford and CR. He took over two programs that were in shambles and won state titles with them. No can deny that. Danny Boone has also done a great job building programs.

Who do you think does a good job with that ?

Who do you think does a good job with that ?
I’d have to say Glanden did a hell of a job turning around Laurel last year, Harris are Dover (we will have to see what his does with Smyrna), Rigby of course at Milford setting them up to win all those state championships, and at CR as well. Possibly Miller at SC but gotta see the next few years. Same thing for Sianni at Caravel. Do you agree?

I’d have to say Glanden did a hell of a job turning around Laurel last year, Harris are Dover (we will have to see what his does with Smyrna), Rigby of course at Milford setting them up to win all those state championships, and at CR as well. Possibly Miller at SC but gotta see the next few years. Same thing for Sianni at Caravel. Do you agree?
Yeah. As much as I'm still pissed about that FFT. Miller is a great young guy leading SC. I really like Woodbridge and Laurel of course . I wished harris stayed at Dover. I was super impressed by Newark charter, st Georges and even middletown. Windish has one of his better teams this year at IR. I've been a lot of places for wrestling and DE is my favorite. I wish St.Marks would become relavent again

Correct, not sure if there’s a point to be proven There or just a statement?
Not really a point, just trying to recall. I think between 09 and 14 they were back and forth smalleset d1 and biggest d2. That was a down time if i remember correctly and coaching change happened

I’d say they were both in shambles... If my memory serves me correctly Milford had a few loses when Rigby took over.
Besides the obvious at CR at that time. They were pretty good though. I think they were in like 18 of 20 previous d1 finals. From a pr standpoint rough, but they had some talent plus brought some guys from Milford i think. Either way a gutsy move to leave d2 champs in that situation

Yea, I think the Milford class of 09 was pretty athletic as they won States for FB and Wrestling that year and then fell off a good bit after they left. Or so it seems. The jump to D1 didn’t help I’m sure. But one can’t deny that he turned that program around and set them up for many years of success as we’ve seen. And then there’s CR, I don’t think anyone had them as a favorite to win last year. I certainly didn’t expect it after taking losses to Sallies and Smyrna. But as I mentioned in previous posts. In 10 years we won’t remember when or who CR lost to during the regular season- only that they finished on top on the end. Same can be said for individual states.

de wrestling gets a real boost from middle school wrestling, md most schools don’t have it and alot of the participants hit the mat for the 1st time in 9th grade. the henlopen it seems to me has the most middle school wrestling and dominates.

Reactions: Fightingbluehen
de wrestling gets a real boost from middle school wrestling, md most schools don’t have it and alot of the participants hit the mat for the 1st time in 9th grade. the henlopen it seems to me has the most middle school wrestling and dominates.
Your are exactly right. I was doing some research into ms wrestling the other day and it seems that there aren’t many upstate teams- yet all the Henlopen teams have a middle school program. The success of those ms programs seem to be a decent indicator of the future Hs teams in most cases

Your are exactly right. I was doing some research into ms wrestling the other day and it seems that there aren’t many upstate teams- yet all the Henlopen teams have a middle school program. The success of those ms programs seem to be a decent indicator of the future Hs teams in most cases

What did your research into middle school wrestling show you?

It seems as though the top teams This year as of now are:
Postlethwait middle 4-0
Selbyville middle 3-1 (lost to PMS)
Smryna ms is always good as we all know (losses to Gunning Bedford and PMS)
Fifer ms has been good in the past, this year they are 2-1
I was told chipman and millsboro were good- both at 2-1 right now (chipman lost to smyrna and millsboro to laurel)
Laurel sitting at 3-2

It’s intersting to look through those team sites and see what’s coming up

never said they were a threat to the cr program, I said the school kids overall tend to split when it comes to moving up to 9th grade. having a sister that had a child go thru pms and a cousin who had a child go thru fms, I noticed kids missing when they moved from 8th to 9th. within 2 years I saw 10 stand out wrestlers go over to poly from winning teams on pms and fms. maybe it was a preference of coach but more so I think it was a preference of school, plain and simple (especially since 3-4 of them are no longer wrestling).

It seems as though the top teams This year as of now are:
Postlethwait middle 4-0
Selbyville middle 3-1 (lost to PMS)
Smryna ms is always good as we all know (losses to Gunning Bedford and PMS)
Fifer ms has been good in the past, this year they are 2-1
I was told chipman and millsboro were good- both at 2-1 right now (chipman lost to smyrna and millsboro to laurel)
Laurel sitting at 3-2

It’s intersting to look through those team sites and see what’s coming up
Georgetown Middle is 3-0. Beat Laurel 46-42, Delmar 96-0 and Seaford 58-36.

MS success is a good predictor of overall success. MIlford's recent success from Class of 2017 (4x D2 state champ) came on the back of a 28-2 dual meet record in MS with the only losses coming to Smyrna. Thanks to some long time Milford wrestling names helping out at the MS level, they give the guys a great foundation to work with and transition to HS. And yes having the Henlopen Hammers in your home gym helps too.

MS success is a good predictor of overall success. MIlford's recent success from Class of 2017 (4x D2 state champ) came on the back of a 28-2 dual meet record in MS with the only losses coming to Smyrna. Thanks to some long time Milford wrestling names helping out at the MS level, they give the guys a great foundation to work with and transition to HS. And yes having the Henlopen Hammers in your home gym helps too.
Well said. MS success seems to vary year to year for some teams but I think it’s safe to say that when you get a class of kids in there and you see their progression upward it’s a great indicator for the future of their program. And the opposite can be true as well, when you start seeing the decline year after year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT