ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs-2021

Dec 8, 2020
Few questions for those that have been around the Playoffs for some time:
How often have the #1 seeds won the Championship(s)? Has this been the norm?
What is the lowest seed to have one the Championship?
Best Championship game?

Last - will the #1's win the chips this year.

My thoughts - and bye the way my picks were awful this year so take it for what it is worth. I don't think any #1's win the chip. Go out on a limb, and will say there will be atleast a 8 seed or lower to win one chip...

not sure about how often #1 seeds win the chip, But I don’t see anyway an 8 seed or worst wins the chip. not this year. D3 is a two team race Middletown and Smyrna- D2 i believe it is a 3 team race Archmere, Woodbridge and DMA. I believe Archmere is the best team but Woodbridge and DMA are absolutely close enough that they can win on any given day-D1 is two teams Laurel and St E’s but is Benson is hurt then Laurel is a big favorite

Reactions: BackinBlack86
Because of the way the point systems work and nifty scheduling the 1 seed is not always the best team or even the 1st, 2nd or 3rd ranked team. So no 1 seeds don't always win but one of the top 4 seeds typically do. In the old D2 a lower seed like a 6 have made runs but I can't recall if one has won it all.

Last edited:
I could see Indian River as an outside shot because they did play both St. E and laurel close. I think D2 is going to be close. Top 6 teams have all played good football. TH has played well of late and you have an 8 seed in St. Marks that only lost by 3 on a failed 4th and goal from the 1 against Archmere and 7 to Woodbridge that they gave up I believe 22 points in the 2nd half. D3 is a two horse race but St. George gave Smyrna a game and if they play flawless they could pull an upset. Never count out Sallies either.

not sure about how often #1 seeds win the chip, But I don’t see anyway an 8 seed or worst wins the chip. not this year. D3 is a two team race Middletown and Smyrna- D2 i believe it is a 3 team race Archmere, Woodbridge and DMA. I believe Archmere is the best team but Woodbridge and DMA are absolutely close enough that they can win on any given day-D1 is two teams Laurel and St E’s but is Benson is hurt then Laurel is a big favorite
Is benson hurt?

Is benson hurt?
He did leave the caravel game in the 2nd quarter I think, believe it was an ankle or some type of leg injury. He only carried the ball 3 times that night. Might be precaution to though since technically the game did not have a huge implications.

Well for fun lets look at the past championship games and their seeds. The ones I have access to

2020 (only 4 teams D1 and D2)
D1- #4 Central vs #2 MTown- Winner #4 Central
D2- #1 Archmere vs #2 Howard -Winner #2 Howard

D1- #1 HVT vs #2 MTown- Winner #1 HVT
D2- #1 Woodbridge vs #4 Howard- Winner #4 Howard

D1- #3 Central vs #5 Sallies- Winner #3 Central
D2- #2 Friends vs #4 Woodbridge- Winner #4 Woodbridge

D1- #1 MTown vs #2 Smyrna- Winner #2 Smyrna
D2- #4 Milford vs #8 Delmar- Winner #8 Delmar

D2- #1 Woodbridge vs #5 Friends- Winner #1 Woodbridge

D1- #1 Sallies vs #3 Smyrna- Winner #3 Smyrna
D2- #1 St Georges vs #5 Howard- Winner #5 Howard

D1- #1 WPenn vs #2 MTown- Winner #1 WPenn
D2- #4 Laurel vs #7 HVT- Winner #7 HVT

D1- #1 MTown vs #2 Sallies- Winner #2 Sallies
D2- #1 St Georges vs #2 HVT- Winner #2 HVT

D1- #1 MTown vs #2 Sallies- Winner #1 MTown
D2- #2 HVT vs #3 Caravel- Winner #3 Caravel

D1- #1 Newark vs #2 MTown- Winner #2 MTown
D2- #1 Indian River vs #3 Caravel- Winner #1 Indian River

D1- #1 St Marks vs #2 MTown- Winner #1 St Marks
D2- #6 Archmere vs #2 St Elizabeth- Winner #2 St Elizabeth

D1- #6 St Marks vs #2 Sallies- Winner #2 Sallies
D2- #6 Delmar vs #2 HVT- Winner #6 Delmar

D1- #1 CR vs #2 Central- Winner #1 CR
D2- #1 Milford vs #2 Laurel- Winner #1 Milford

D1- #1 MTown vs #2 Central- Winner #1 MTown
D2- #1 Caravel vs# 3 HVT- Winner #3 HVT

D1- #1 Sallies vs #2 Central- Winner #1 Sallies
D2- #5 Concord vs #2 Caravel- Winner #5 Concord

Last edited:
He did leave the caravel game in the 2nd quarter I think, believe it was an ankle or some type of leg injury. He only carried the ball 3 times that night. Might be precaution to though since technically the game did not have a huge implications.
I believe they said he was injured coming into the CA game but tried to give it a go but really couldn't so they pulled his plug early when it was obvious the undefeated season wasn't happening.

Last edited:
Well for fun lets look at the past championship games and their seeds. The ones I have access to

2020 (only 4 teams D1 and D2)
D1- #4 Central vs #2 MTown- Winner #4 Central
D2- #1 Archmere vs #2 Howard -Winner #2 Howard

D1- #1 HVT vs #2 MTown- Winner #1 HVT
D2- #1 Woodbridge vs #4 Howard- Winner #4 Howard

D1- #3 Central vs #5 Sallies- Winner #3 Central
D2- #2 Friends vs #4 Woodbridge- Winner #4 Woodbridge

D2- #1 Woodbridge vs #5 Friends- Winner #1 Woodbridge

D1- #1 Sallies vs #3 Smyrna- Winner #3 Smyrna
D2- #1 St Georges vs #5 Howard- Winner #5 Howard

D1- #1 WPenn vs #2 MTown- Winner #1 WPenn
D2- #4 Laurel vs #7 HVT- Winner #7 HVT

D1- #1 MTown vs #2 Sallies- Winner #2 Sallies
D2- # St Georges vs #2 HVT- Winner #2 HVT

D1- #1 MTown vs #2 Sallies- Winner #1 MTown
D2- #2 HVT vs #3 Caravel- Winner #3 Caravel

D1- #1 Newark vs #2 MTown- Winner #2 MTown
D2- #1 Indian River vs #3 Caravel- Winner #1 Indian River

D1- #1 St Marks vs #2 MTown- Winner #1 St Marks
D2- #6 Archmere vs #2 St Elizabeth- Winner #2 St Elizabeth

D1- #6 St Marks vs #2 Sallies- Winner #2 Sallies
D2- #6 Delmar vs #2 HVT- Winner #6 Delmar

D1- #1 CR vs #2 Central- Winner #1 CR
D2- #1 Milford vs #2 Laurel- Winner #1 Milford

D1- #1 MTown vs #2 Central- Winner #1 MTown
D2- #1 Caravel vs# 3 HVT- Winner #3 HVT

D1- #1 Sallies vs #2 Central- Winner #1 Sallies
D2- #5 Concord vs #2 Caravel- Winner #5 Concord

Interesting tidbit the last time both #1 seeds won was 2008 and it was an all Southern Final

So D1 was pretty much #1 or #2 and almost every game was #1 vs. #2. D2 had more "variety" of teams. Kind of seems like this year may follow course.

Smyrna vs MTown will be 3A
2A could be a bunch of different teams - Archmere, Woodbridge, Caravel, DMA, Friends
1A is Laurel I think

2A is the most competitive. I think it’s Archmere, Woodbridge or Caravel. Think DMA is a bit overrated but could easily win it. Friends or Tower Hill could sneak in and never count out Delmar or Howard.

Smyrna vs MTown will be 3A
2A could be a bunch of different teams - Archmere, Woodbridge, Caravel, DMA, Friends
1A is Laurel I think

2A is the most competitive. I think it’s Archmere, Woodbridge or Caravel. Think DMA is a bit overrated but could easily win it. Friends or Tower Hill could sneak in and never count out Delmar or Howard.

Archmere, Caravel ,DMA and Howard are on the same side of the bracket so only 1 of them is getting there

on the other side TH would have to go through WB to get to the semi's (not happening)

Friends vs Delmar will be an interesting quarter final.. I guess we will find out if the Friends drumming of Delmar earlier was the refs or if Friends is just better. The winner of this vs WB will be a good one as well

The Final 4 will be pretty good in 2A for sure..

Archmere, Caravel ,DMA and Howard are on the same side of the bracket so only 1 of them is getting there

on the other side TH would have to go through WB to get to the semi's (not happening)

Friends vs Delmar will be an interesting quarter final.. I guess we will find out if the Friends drumming of Delmar earlier was the refs or if Friends is just better. The winner of this vs WB will be a good one as well

The Final 4 will be pretty good in 2A for sure..
I feel like the quarterfinals could be good as well. Archmere vs Howard or st. Marks, DMA vs Caravel and Friends vs. Delmar. Those are 3 games that could all be close.

I feel like the quarterfinals could be good as well. Archmere vs Howard or st. Marks, DMA vs Caravel and Friends vs. Delmar. Those are 3 games that could all be close.

Archmere blew out Howard 42-8 but only beat St Marks 10-7. Coincidently Archmere only beat Friends by a FG as well..

but as we have seen before Ritter and Howard enter the tournament with a lackluster team and then get on a roll and win the damn thing. I don't believe that is in the cards this year but I didn't think it was those years either lol

Archmere blew out Howard 42-8 but only beat St Marks 10-7. Coincidently Archmere only beat Friends by a FG as well..

but as we have seen before Ritter and Howard enter the tournament with a lackluster team and then get on a roll and win the damn thing. I don't believe that is in the cards this year but I didn't think it was those years either lol
I was leaning more towards an Archmere/ st. Marks game because of the closeness of the last game. But sometimes there is always that teamnthat can knock someone off

Few questions for those that have been around the Playoffs for some time:
How often have the #1 seeds won the Championship(s)? Has this been the norm?
What is the lowest seed to have one the Championship?
Best Championship game?

Last - will the #1's win the chips this year.

My thoughts - and bye the way my picks were awful this year so take it for what it is worth. I don't think any #1's win the chip. Go out on a limb, and will say there will be atleast a 8 seed or lower to win one chip...
It’s happened more in Division 1 than Division 2 over the years.

I was leaning more towards an Archmere/ st. Marks game because of the closeness of the last game. But sometimes there is always that teamnthat can knock someone off
Like the old adage says it's a game of matchups and some teams match up better than others. That's why the daisy chains don't work..

If you daisy chain these games.

DMA beat Howard 28-20 and beat St Marks 35-7
Archmere beat DMA 27-7 but only beat St Marks 10-7 and beat Howard 42-8

St Marks did better vs Archmere than Howard but Howard did better vs DMA than St Marks

Howard and St Marks DNP each other..

synopsis for Howard vs St Marks is

coin-toss-coin-flip.gif

Last edited:
Not to hit you with old guy stuff but a stunning upset for the time was CR winning the first divisionalized title in ‘75.
Back then they did not seed the tourney. I objectively would have had Sals 1, St. Mark’s 2, Newark 3 and CR 4.
Up to that point no Henlopen Conference game got out of the 1st round….but on the first Saturday Newark upset the Sals in the AM & then CR upset Sparty in the PM.

CR then upset Newark (led by JR. Dutch Hoffmann) in the championship. Joe Purzycki could flat out motivate and coach his guys.
Rider was probably still riding his tricycle in those days.

Another interesting tidbit.. On Smyrna's 3 Peat they were not the #1 seed for any of them

What's interesting about this year it was widely considered the weakest year in D2 in a while. Probably still is. It's the year HVT and St Georges got moved to D1 and a 8 seed won the tournament

Here is the D2 field that year

#1 DMA (9-1) lost 1st round to #8 Delmar
#2 AI Dupont (9-1) lost 2nd round to #8 Delmar
#3 Friends (8-1) lost 2nd round to #4 Milford
#4 Milford (7-3) lost ship to #8 Delmar
#5 Woodbridge (8-2) lost 1st round to #4 Milford
#6 Tower Hill (8-2) lost 1st round to #3 Friends
#7 Howard (8-2) lost 1st round to #2 AI Dupont
#8 Delmar (9-1) won the thing beating DMA, AI and Milford

So how the hell is Delmar the 8 seed at 9-1 with the only loss to an out of state team having beat both Woodbridge and Milford? lol Delmar was probably the best 8th seed in the history of 8th seeds .. just think a few years prior they wouldn't even have made the tournament when it was only 6 teams in..

So we have a year both TH and Friends get in which is crazy and then you got DMA, AI and Friends as the top 3 seeds which was schedule fraud.. lol

synopsis.. Delmar was not the 8th seed they were clearly the best team in the tournament at 9-1 having already beat the 3 and 4 seed .. just saying

Last edited:
Reactions: sbb19940
Going back and this is what I heard but did not see but I believe when Dover won in 88, they opened the season with a loss to Sallies but then beat Sallies in the final in OT. Stacking up I wonder what any team would have done with the late 90s early 2000s Newark team. It was a foregone conclusion for like 5 years no one was beating them.

What's interesting about this year it was widely considered the weakest year in D2 in a while. Probably still is. It's the year HVT and St Georges got moved to D1 and a 8 seed won the tournament

Here is the D2 field that year

#1 DMA (9-1) lost 1st round to #8 Delmar
#2 AI Dupont (9-1) lost 2nd round to #8 Delmar
#3 Friends (8-1) lost 2nd round to #4 Milford
#4 Milford (7-3) lost ship to #8 Delmar
#5 Woodbridge (8-2) lost 1st round to #4 Milford
#6 Tower Hill (8-2) lost 1st round to #3 Friends
#7 Howard (8-2) lost 1st round to #2 AI Dupont
#8 Delmar (9-1) won the thing beating DMA, AI and Milford

So how the hell is Delmar the 8 seed at 9-1 with the only loss to an out of state team having beat both Woodbridge and Milford? lol Delmar was probably the best 8th seed in the history of 8th seeds .. just think a few years prior they wouldn't even have made the tournament when it was only 6 teams in..

So we have a year both TH and Friends get in which is crazy and then you got DMA, AI and Friends as the top 3 seeds which was schedule fraud.. lol

synopsis.. Delmar was not the 8th seed they were clearly the best team in the tournament at 9-1 having already beat the 3 and 4 seed .. just saying
Because the way it works is by playoff points. Delmar could have beaten the 3-4 seeds but the rest of their schedule was by teams not with winning records? The teams above them had more bonus points.

back then we had teams like Archmere, Friends, Tower Hills scheduling the weak Division 1 teams like Decastle and Charter and racking up the 6 points while their counter parts are playing division 2 teams and only getting 4.

so we had teams like the Delmars being an 8 seed at 9-1 and winning it all. Division 2 had so much talent when they moved to 8 teams that if you went 8-2,7-3 you weren’t making the playoffs. Division 2 was always loaded with good teams, while Division 1 was always Top heavy with 1-3 teams having a realistically good shot at winning a title. Wasn’t the case with Division 2

much like what we have now with Class 2A

I never said that the only reason Delmar lost to Friends was the Refs. Delmar probably would have lost even if the game had been called fairly by the Refs (25 penalties called against Delmar against 2 called against Friends), although it would have been a lot closer (maybe 14-7). Delmar made too many mistakes in the game to win, but they have gotten a lot better since then. Friends might have gotten better too of course.

I never said that the only reason Delmar lost to Friends was the Refs. Delmar probably would have lost even if the game had been called fairly by the Refs (25 penalties called against Delmar against 2 called against Friends), although it would have been a lot closer (maybe 14-7). Delmar made too many mistakes in the game to win, but they have gotten a lot better since then. Friends might have gotten better too of course.

I think it should be a good game. It will be interesting to see where the game will be scheduled at.. Maybe TH? but TH stands aren't big enough to handle the Delmar crowd IMO.

Reactions: Titanium Shadow
So this might be a tall task to find out, but does anyone know what games are being streamed this weekend yet? I have to DJ an anniversary party Friday night and was hoping to catch the Central/Caesar Rodney game.

I’ll more than likely be at Appo/Cape Saturday night.

Because the way it works is by playoff points. Delmar could have beaten the 3-4 seeds but the rest of their schedule was by teams not with winning records? The teams above them had more bonus points.

back then we had teams like Archmere, Friends, Tower Hills scheduling the weak Division 1 teams like Decastle and Charter and racking up the 6 points while their counter parts are playing division 2 teams and only getting 4.

so we had teams like the Delmars being an 8 seed at 9-1 and winning it all. Division 2 had so much talent when they moved to 8 teams that if you went 8-2,7-3 you weren’t making the playoffs. Division 2 was always loaded with good teams, while Division 1 was always Top heavy with 1-3 teams having a realistically good shot at winning a title. Wasn’t the case with Division 2

much like what we have now with Class 2A
it was a rhetorical question lol.. They weren't good teams that year even at 8-2 and 9-1.. Delmar was the favorite going in even at the 8 seed. A few years before and definitely now the top D2 teams could compete vs the top half of the D1 teams those teams could not by any stretch.

There were some years where the strong D2 HVT, St E's one year. Caravel a few years prior was even ranked #1 in the state at the end and beat the eventual state D1 champion Sallies in the reg season (the last time Sallies ever scheduled Caravel lol) where there was debate whether the D2 champ could beat the D1 champ.. not anymore with the super teams but definitely this years top 2A can compete vs the rest of 3A... but those teams in 2017 not a chance.. D1 was was a lot stronger top to bottom then as well..

Reactions: HSftballlaxFan
Not to hit you with old guy stuff but a stunning upset for the time was CR winning the first divisionalized title in ‘75.
Back then they did not seed the tourney. I objectively would have had Sals 1, St. Mark’s 2, Newark 3 and CR 4.
Up to that point no Henlopen Conference game got out of the 1st round….but on the first Saturday Newark upset the Sals in the AM & then CR upset Sparty in the PM.

CR then upset Newark (led by JR. Dutch Hoffmann) in the championship. Joe Purzycki could flat out motivate and coach his guys.
Rider was probably still riding his tricycle in those days.
How in the world do you remember stuff like this????

So this might be a tall task to find out, but does anyone know what games are being streamed this weekend yet? I have to DJ an anniversary party Friday night and was hoping to catch the Central/Caesar Rodney game.

I’ll more than likely be at Appo/Cape Saturday night.

DIAA has the streaming rights to the playoff games and they are contracted through NFHS Network. NFHS/DIAA will contract crews to do the games so I am sure 302 has some of them as well as some freelance production companies (like the one that did the kickoff classic). Not sure if the schools themselves may do the 1st and 2nd round games as far as production but they should all be fed through NFHS.

They only have a couple up so far

Reactions: Woody_Wood
it was a rhetorical question lol.. They weren't good teams that year even at 8-2 and 9-1.. Delmar was the favorite going in even at the 8 seed. A few years before and definitely now the top D2 teams could compete vs the top half of the D1 teams those teams could not by any stretch.

There were some years where the strong D2 HVT, St E's one year. Caravel a few years prior was even ranked #1 in the state at the end and beat the eventual state D1 champion Sallies in the reg season (the last time Sallies ever scheduled Caravel lol) where there was debate whether the D2 champ could beat the D1 champ.. not anymore with the super teams but definitely this years top 2A can compete vs the rest of 3A... but those teams in 2017 not a chance.. D1 was was a lot stronger top to bottom then as well..
Actually, Caravel did play the Sals again in 2010. It did not go well for them.

The Sals and Caravel did play in 2016. I believe it was a one year emergency deal. I believe Caravel had the lead at half but the Sals wore them down. That was the night that Patrick started his first varsity game at tailback. Caravel has a nice FB legacy for a relatively new school.

Reactions: Woody_Wood
The Sals and Caravel did play in 2016. I believe it was a one year emergency deal. I believe Caravel had the lead at half but the Sals wore them down. That was the night that Patrick started his first varsity game at tailback. Caravel has a nice FB legacy for a relatively new school.
yeah that's right. I forgot about that. That was a couple years after my Son graduated.
Caravel had scrimmaged with them for a few years prior. Caravel has manage to stay pretty relevant year to year with a few down years and some years where they had a good mix of talent come together and win it. I wouldn't say they have been a dominant program that has gone on multi year runs but they hold their own year in and year out. They always seem to have a real good or a couple of good speedy backs. They haven't really been able to get a solid spread passing attack going yet though. Every time they try it always seems to revert back to the winged T running game to be successful. It's the devil you know I suppose. Probably just need the right QB and OC for that..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT