ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs-2021

Bib, I think you and I had a conversation that night. I was still in Palookaville about the Sals blowing a lead against Smyrna in the title game a year before……

Unsure…but the Sals had beaten both Penn and Dover ( first round match up) in the regular season. The Sals beat Newark in the other first round game. Give Dover credit.…the Sals beat them earlier in the season..over the next couple of games Coach Oxford switched QBs to one of the Bushweiler twins and the rest is history…

Reactions: Woody_Wood
Unsure…but the Sals had beaten both Penn and Dover ( first round match up) in the regular season. The Sals beat Newark in the other first round game. Give Dover credit.…the Sals beat them earlier in the season..over the next couple of games Coach Oxford switched QBs to one of the Bushweiler twins and the rest is history…
Was one of the best games I ever saw in person. A classic.

Nice piece of family history one of the starting DBs on the 88 team, Danny Waite, his son Nate just made 1st team all district for CR at DB

Bib, I think you and I had a conversation that night. I was still in Palookaville about the Sals blowing a lead against Smyrna in the title game a year before……

I vaguely remember talking to Blue Pee but wasn't aware the other guy was you. That Blue Tea guy could really get under my skin so I am sure my focus was trying not to pop him in the mouth lol...

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
I was with Blue Tea…

One would have to ask why?

serenity-now.gif

Fair observation. I must have missed my meds yesterday. I repeated the same post. I understand that sentiment about Blue Tea. He is an acquired taste like scotch.

Very impressive BiB. And yeah the biggest guy on the field is like average size nowadays lol

Very impressive BiB. And yeah the biggest guy on the field is like average size nowadays lol

I'll take that deal in the ad on the bottom right.. Flight, hotel and game tix for $390 can't beat it. Arizona is nice this time of year. lol

If anyone else wants me to dig up a game that might have been in the paper and post it. let me know. I love researching shit be glad to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskerman7
Thanks, Bib. Here is a real grinding fact for Sals fans: That Sals defense had 3 college starters: D-linemen Peden and Johnson for 2 years at UD And Mike Reed as CB at Boston College.

Last edited:
Reactions: BackinBlack86
Okay BIB, can you find anything on D2 finals between Delmar and Laurel? Was a great game to watch. Pretty sure was played at Seaford High. Final score was 6-0.

Was around 1985-87?? Laurel names I recall were David Shockley and Ronnie Burke. Delmar had Michael Jackson and a 19-year old Phil Vinson in backfield.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
Fellow researcher here. It really is fun to dig into The New Journal archives. Ive lost many an hour going down the rabbit hole.

yeah I can spend hours going through old papers. Newspapers.com is awesome.. Funny thing is no matter how far you go back. Things really haven't changed much just the numbers. It's all the same BS then as it is now.. lol

I like looking at the old ads myself.. @Uncle Bumfuzzled name the year lol

City Rankings Sponsor

img

img

What kind of torture device it this? Or is this schooling back then? lol

img

Ambitious "Man" no women .. by the way if the order is presold what the hell do you need a closer for?

img

What's the place worth now?

img

Love the old TV listing in the papers

img

Fitting "Mothers Day" gift today? yeah if you want to eat beans for a month lol

img

img

img

If anyone else wants me to dig up a game that might have been in the paper and post it. let me know. I love researching shit be glad to do it.
I would love the article when Dover played Middletown in the semis back in 2011….the game was a track meet according to one of the refs. Best game I’ve ever watched. I’ve tried and couldn’t find any articles on it but I know there was one.

Okay BIB, can you find anything on D2 finals between Delmar and Laurel? Was a great game to watch. Pretty sure was played at Seaford High. Final score was 6-0.

Was around 1985-87?? Laurel names I recall were David Shockley and Ronnie Burke. Delmar had Michael Jackson and a 19-year old Phil Vinson in backfield.

I got you but sure as hell hope this isn't going to bring up any past trauma for Mr Alvarez.. just saying

img

img

img

img

I think Caravel vs DMA will be the big game. Both are interesting ih 9-1 records but overall think Caravel played a marginally harder schedule. Either could be better or worse then we all think.

I will probably hit this game next weekend - assuming DMA wins

Reactions: Woody_Wood
I would love the article when Dover played Middletown in the semis back in 2011….the game was a track meet according to one of the refs. Best game I’ve ever watched. I’ve tried and couldn’t find any articles on it but I know there was one.
You had to bring this one up @HSftballlaxFan my brother was the QB for Dover and it was heartbreaking to watch that 2nd half where Mtown figured everything. But it was an absolutely amazing game to watch.

I never said that the only reason Delmar lost to Friends was the Refs. Delmar probably would have lost even if the game had been called fairly by the Refs (25 penalties called against Delmar against 2 called against Friends), although it would have been a lot closer (maybe 14-7). Delmar made too many mistakes in the game to win, but they have gotten a lot better since then. Friends might have gotten better too of cou

Did you really mean 25 penalties. If so thats out of hand. 25-2 in penalties is biased don't care how bad or sloppy Delmar played. I don't even think the infamous Miami Hurricanes Cotton Bowl massacre had that many penalties and that was the worst I have even seen. They were basically prison shanking people on the field and had less then 25 penalties

No did it change the outcome of the game? I have no idea wasnt there.

Reactions: Titanium Shadow
I think Caravel vs DMA will be the big game. Both are interesting ih 9-1 records but overall think Caravel played a marginally harder schedule. Either could be better or worse then we all think.

I will probably hit this game next weekend - assuming DMA wins
It's the playoffs and unfortunately DMA does have the stigma of never having won a playoff game. But if DMA and Caravel play I can see a low scoring affair. Both teams have excellent run games while having defenses that are very good against the run. Definitely do not see a shootout happening

It's the playoffs and unfortunately DMA does have the stigma of never having won a playoff game. But if DMA and Caravel play I can see a low scoring affair. Both teams have excellent run games while having defenses that are very good against the run. Definitely do not see a shootout happening
Agreed will be a fun game to watch.

Did you really mean 25 penalties. If so thats out of hand. 25-2 in penalties is biased don't care how bad or sloppy Delmar played. I don't even think the infamous Miami Hurricanes Cotton Bowl massacre had that many penalties and that was the worst I have even seen. They were basically prison shanking people on the field and had less then 25 penalties

No did it change the outcome of the game? I have no idea wasnt there.
I didn't count from 1, so 25 penalties might be off by 1 or 2, but there were definitely 20 penalties called against Delmar in the Friends game after I started counting, and I'm pretty sure there was 5 called before I started counting.

Hey BIB. Think you can look up the 1986 DII finals, Laurel vs Indian River? Also, I was a member of that Laurel team that lost to Delmar. Great game to play in !

Thanks, Bib. Love the Kreston ad copy. Sals fans’ favorite. I can remember one of my
faux Kreston ads from a decade ago.

Kreston Liquor Mart: Where the clones buy their booze after watching their team lose.

Reactions: cavaliercharlie
You had to bring this one up @HSftballlaxFan my brother was the QB for Dover and it was heartbreaking to watch that 2nd half where Mtown figured everything. But it was an absolutely amazing game to watch.
I had no idea you guys were related. Ian was one hell of a QB that year and he had a lot of talent around him. But I wouldn’t say that Middletown figured everything out, I just think Dover defense got a little gassed. A 64-40 game idk who wouldn’t be gassed. I was exhausted watching it. But to do this it was probably the best game I’ve witnessed in person, not counting the 2007 and 2011 championship games where Middletown had to come back late down to Sussex Central and Newark respectively. I would like to watch that game again if I can get game film on it but I don’t have any luck with anyone having it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT