ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs-2021

I had no idea you guys were related. Ian was one hell of a QB that year and he had a lot of talent around him. But I wouldn’t say that Middletown figured everything out, I just think Dover defense got a little gassed. A 64-40 game idk who wouldn’t be gassed. I was exhausted watching it. But to do this it was probably the best game I’ve witnessed in person, not counting the 2007 and 2011 championship games where Middletown had to come back late down to Sussex Central and Newark respectively. I would like to watch that game again if I can get game film on it but I don’t have any luck with anyone having it.
Yep he is my little brother. Its funny because when he was little he would come to my games, and then when he was playing my sons would go to his games and now we go to my sons high school games. I laugh because I tell my mom that she has been going to football games for 25 years and she still asks what's going on lol.

Yep he is my little brother. Its funny because when he was little he would come to my games, and then when he was playing my sons would go to his games and now we go to my sons high school games. I laugh because I tell my mom that she has been going to football games for 25 years and she still asks what's going on lol.
That’s a cool story to tell. I’m sure she’s proud. Hopefully I can make a DMA game before the seasons over

Not to hit you with old guy stuff but a stunning upset for the time was CR winning the first divisionalized title in ‘75.
Back then they did not seed the tourney. I objectively would have had Sals 1, St. Mark’s 2, Newark 3 and CR 4.
Up to that point no Henlopen Conference game got out of the 1st round….but on the first Saturday Newark upset the Sals in the AM & then CR upset Sparty in the PM.

CR then upset Newark (led by JR. Dutch Hoffmann) in the championship. Joe Purzycki could flat out motivate and coach his guys.
Rider was probably still riding his tricycle in those days.
CR really got us that day, I missed a tackle on Tony Kelso at about the 15 and he caught his balance and went in for the winning score. We kind of got down when we heard Newark had beaten Sallies while in the locker room at the half. I think we were up at the half. Thanks for bringing back that terrible memory Unc.

Reactions: 84rider
great family football story, thanks for sharing

Reactions: Longagoplayer
CR really got us that day, I missed a tackle on Tony Kelso at about the 15 and he caught his balance and went in for the winning score. We kind of got down when we heard Newark had beaten Sallies while in the locker room at the half. I think we were up at the half. Thanks for bringing back that terrible memory Unc.
That was the year when the D1 and D2 separate tournaments started. Like everybody else, I was anticipating a Sparty-Sals rematch in the finals. You weren’t the only person to miss a tackle on Tony Kelsie. He was a beast…

Reactions: 84rider
That was the year when the D1 and D2 separate tournaments started. Like everybody else, I was anticipating a Sparty-Sals rematch in the finals. You weren’t the only person to miss a tackle on Tony Kelsie. He was a beast…
Yes he was, they were driving so even if I got him, we still had to stop them from the 15 or so. We beat Newark that yr 42-18 but everything went wrong for them that day. We really wanted Sallies again but Newark was one tough team.

Because the way it works is by playoff points. Delmar could have beaten the 3-4 seeds but the rest of their schedule was by teams not with winning records? The teams above them had more bonus points.

back then we had teams like Archmere, Friends, Tower Hills scheduling the weak Division 1 teams like Decastle and Charter and racking up the 6 points while their counter parts are playing division 2 teams and only getting 4.

so we had teams like the Delmars being an 8 seed at 9-1 and winning it all. Division 2 had so much talent when they moved to 8 teams that if you went 8-2,7-3 you weren’t making the playoffs. Division 2 was always loaded with good teams, while Division 1 was always Top heavy with 1-3 teams having a realistically good shot at winning a title. Wasn’t the case with Division 2

much like what we have now with Class 2A
Friends made the D2 semi's five years in a row and two finals from 2014-2018. They played one lousy D1 team each year. Everybody else was D2. Delmar wasn't even in the conversations other than 2017. The schedule for WFS had nothing to do with any of the final results. Those were five good teams.

Friends made the D2 semi's five years in a row and two finals from 2014-2018. They played one lousy D1 team each year. Everybody else was D2. Delmar wasn't even in the conversations other than 2017. The schedule for WFS had nothing to do with any of the final results. Those were five good teams.
The truth is in D2 (now 2A) the weak schedule teams always get exposed. The final 4 or final 2 are always pretty damn good.

The truth is in D2 (now 2A) the weak schedule teams always get exposed. The final 4 or final 2 are always pretty damn good.
What’s that what I was trying to say. Wasn’t trying to take away from quality wins, Friends had their fair share, but I was just saying in Division 2 certain teams manipulated the system. Maybe not Friends so it was poor on me to use them but for a while they were one of them. They kept winning and it drew players to them.

regardless, some teams abused the pint system just to make the playoffs only to get exposed in the 1st game they played, another reason why the committee tried a new format. But first round games this weekend was what? 150-13? That’s just sad. I like that they tried but you might wanna draw the playoffs back a little. Just saying! You’re only devaluing the playoffs is all

What’s that what I was trying to say. Wasn’t trying to take away from quality wins, Friends had their fair share, but I was just saying in Division 2 certain teams manipulated the system. Maybe not Friends so it was poor on me to use them but for a while they were one of them. They kept winning and it drew players to them.

regardless, some teams abused the pint system just to make the playoffs only to get exposed in the 1st game they played, another reason why the committee tried a new format. But first round games this weekend was what? 150-13? That’s just sad. I like that they tried but you might wanna draw the playoffs back a little. Just saying! You’re only devaluing the playoffs is all
If tonight is any indication it might be to many lower teams competing. You can't do too much with D3 but maybe D2 you could do the top 3 from each district with 3 at large bids and D1 top 3 from each district with 2 at large bids. No offense to the teams that did make it this year but having a 4-6 team and a 3-7 team is a little embarrassing. Or who knows maybe after a couple years all the teams may be more competitive with some tinkering of who plays in which district.

Couldn't agree more that some teams gamed the system. Friends plays a couple every year that did so in the past. Friends played Woodbridge every for like ten years and now does home and home with Delmar. At least Friends stepped it up. Can't say it about many others in the past.

Just in case anyone wants to attend the Friends v Delmar game. My understanding is it will be played at Abessinio. TS can you confirm this is correct?

Looks confirmed on Friends schedule.. Sat 11/27 1pm

11/18/21 4:44 PM

11/27/21
YouTube
Watch Live
Sat​
1:00pm​
H​
Abessinio Stadium
GoFan - DIAA

Thanks Bib. I thought I heard something different on the podcast today.

You can make a day of it. Buy tix for 1pm Friends vs Delmar and 7 pm Sallies vs Central. Go to the first game then head down to Trolley Square for some food and drink then catch the 7pm game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody_Wood

Been happening for years - aka Chicken Hawks of TH. They mastered that for a long time and so do a bunch of teams. They need to reduce the number of teams in 3A and 2A this past week was a joke all blowouts

Reactions: BackinBlack86
While the first weekend of playoffs was pretty much what everyone was expecting with a lot of blowouts, this weekend shaped up to what could offer a lot of close games. Half of the D1 and D3 games should be well contested and there is a case for almost every D2 game could be a coin flip.

Just so everyone knows, first round blow out playoff games are not exclusive to Delaware... pretty much happens in every state and every year everyone wonders what to do about it, in every state. Acceptance is the only answer 👴

The question asked on the podcast is a very good one. Is being on the receiving end of the blow out but getting to play an extra game worth it in the minds of the student athletes? If you are a senior and no plans to play football in high school, is getting the chance to suit up one more time and will probably lose worth it. I would think for most they would say yes.

Since Diaa runs all the tournaments how does this impact their finances? I know they are not in the business of making money but they also can not afford to take a bath on these events.

The question asked on the podcast is a very good one. Is being on the receiving end of the blow out but getting to play an extra game worth it in the minds of the student athletes? If you are a senior and no plans to play football in high school, is getting the chance to suit up one more time and will probably lose worth it. I would think for most they would say yes.

Since Diaa runs all the tournaments how does this impact their finances? I know they are not in the business of making money but they also can not afford to take a bath on these events.
I know I would have chosen to get another chance at another game. Plus there is always a chance to pull an upset.

Just so everyone knows, first round blow out playoff games are not exclusive to Delaware... pretty much happens in every state and every year everyone wonders what to do about it, in every state. Acceptance is the only answer 👴
Definitely see that in the other states. It is kind if funny looking at big states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan and seeing their first round games littered with 2-8 and 3-7 teams getting blown out by 50 points. I'm sure we will get use to it eventually lol

• Haha
Reactions: BackinBlack86

Unless wrestling or basketball is your main game and you want get to that as soon as possible pretty sure most the players would rather another week. Its not just the game but another week of being together and practicing with your friends.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT