ADVERTISEMENT

POY Awards

SmallWonderSports

Tackles too high
Nov 17, 2012
Thoughts?

I'll take a stab.

Offensive POY: Henderson, Smyrna

Lineman of Year: Carter, Smyrna? Maybe Vessel's from WB?

Defensive POY: I would say Styles from WB being a Henlopen guy, but I'm sure Roberts is in the conversation as well as some other upstate players.

I'm told it is already done, but I would think:

Offensive POY would go to: Henderson (Smyrna) he had an awesome senior year and recorded stats reflected that.

Defensive POY would go to: Roberts (Concord) just watched the highlights of this season. Hard to beat out someone who had 135 tackles, 23 for a loss and 8 sacks in a season playing against most of the states top teams. Hudl stats list 22 in the playoff game against Sallies alone.

Lineman of the Year: This is tough, because they are unsung hero's. I would think that either a lineman from Smyrna or Woodbridge would get the nod, because those teams won their Division championships.

Just my guess.......

Last edited:
Awards and All-State as voted on by coaches took place today. Will be released at 8pm.

Thoughts?

I'll take a stab.

Offensive POY: Henderson, Smyrna

Lineman of Year: Carter, Smyrna? Maybe Vessel's from WB?

Defensive POY: I would say Styles from WB being a Henlopen guy, but I'm sure Roberts is in the conversation as well as some other upstate players.
Come to think of it, this is a Delaware voting system. DE Coaches and DIFCA like to share and give participation awards. Wouldn't be surprised if they had co players of the year just to be nice guys.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
Personally I'd say Offensive POY to Knight, Co-Defensive POY to Styles/Vessels (though can't imagine committe voting that way), Lineman to the guy from Middletown whose name escapes me.

Reactions: jwb703
OPOY is close .. will depend on what the voters value more RB, TDs or QB.. Last year they went Knight even though Henderson put up what had to be the best passing stats ever in DE

OPOY is close .. will depend on what the votesr value more RB, TDs or QB.. Last year they went Knight even though Henderson put up what had to be the best passing stats ever in DE

I think it might go to Henderson this year. Knight split load with LB4.

Either of those two RBs walk away with the award had they not shared touches. Best running back tandem in state history. Best QB/backfield in state history.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
Haven't seen him play in person. Looks badbutt on hudl.
Nebraska commit, been doing it since a freshman, and stats this year off the chart.. He has the name recognition and offers which is key in these type votes... I never heard of Vessels until this year.. Not that he isn't a fine player and stud but he wont win it over Roberts.. He will get first team at his position though

Last edited:
I think it might go to Henderson this year. Knight split load with LB4.

Either of those two RBs walk away with the award had they not shared touches. Best running back tandem in state history. Best QB/backfield in state history.

We said we would visit this at the end of the year... not you and I but the board.. I posed the question better 3 headed monster..Wade,Godwin and Baynard or Henderson. Knight and Brown? What say you folks. Pickle no need to answer we know yours

We said we would visit this at the end of the year... not you and I but the board.. I posed the question better 3 headed monster..Wade,Godwin and Baynard or Henderson. Knight and Brown? What say you folks. Pickle no need to answer we know yours

Godwin/Wade best QB/WR tandem. Godwin is the best high school player I've ever seen in person

Last edited:
just for the sake of conversation just throwing some stats to ponder LB played both RB and WR and KR

Rushing

93 for 730 and 7.8 ave. 14tds

Recielving

20 for 458 and 22.9 ave 7tds

All Purpose

1681 yrs 152 per game

Scoring

23 TDs 183pts

Special Teams

KR- 6 for 353 58.8 ave
PR- 7 for 140 20 ave
Total ret yards 493 44.8 ave (imagine if teams kicked to him lol)

Last edited:
Sorry the last post took time to type.. It was meant prior to any announcement and was not making a case someone else should have won.. It was about the best 3 headed monster not who should win OPOY.. The right choice was made in that regard

WDEL Scoops NJ again haha

DIFCA FIRST TEAM

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Nolan Henderson, Smyrna

CO-DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE YEAR: Leah Styles, Woodbridge & Avery Roberts, Concord

LINEMAN OF THE YEAR: Caleb Weatherford, Middletown

Offense

QB: Nolan Henderson, Smyrna, senior

RB: Will Knight, Smyrna, junior

RB: Terrique Riddick, Woodbridge, senior

FB: Pat Udovich, Archmere, senior

WR: Anthony DelPercio, Middletown, senior

WR: Emon Roberts, Smyrna, sophomore

TE: David Balint, St. Mark's, senior

T: Jarren Carter, Smyrna, senior

T: Randy Sinnott, Salesianum, senior

G: Zeb Wright, Salesianum, senior

G: Jackson Truitt, Appoquinimink, senior

C: Caleb Weatherford, Middletown, senior

RET: Leddie Brown, Smyrna, junior

K: Cooper Urban, Salesianum, junior

P: Jordan Dorman, Sussex Central, senior

Defense

DE: Leah Styles, Woodbridge, senior

DE: Shymere Vessels, Woodbridge, senior

DT: Caleb Weatherford, Middletown, senior

DT: D'Mir Copeland, William Penn, senior

LB: Avery Roberts, Concord, senior

LB: Josh Patrick, Salesianum, senior

LB: Charles Hope, William Penn, senior

LB: Josh Hutchinson, Smyrna, senior

DB: Zach Burton, William Penn, senior

DB: Shane Wilkins, Middletown, senior

DB: Reggie Grinnell, Glasgow, junior

DB: Isaiah Gaynor, William Penn, junior

DIFCA SECOND TEAM

Offense

QB: Drew Fry, Middletown, sophomore

RB: Kedrick Whitehead, Middletown, junior

RB: Grahm Roberts, Concord, junior

FB: Jalen Smith, St. Georges, junior

WR: Michael Credle, Glasgow, senior

WR: Brion Murray, Milford, senior

TE: Shawn Bowman, Howard, junior

T: Mickey Henry, St. Elizabeth, senior

T: Myles Vernet, Sussex Central, senior

G: Zachery Kuhns, Sussex Central, senior

G: Tyler Narvell, Concord, senior

C: Jacob Reed, Caravel, senior

RET: Antwain Holden, Woodbridge, senior

K: Ahmed Ibrahim, Concord, senior

P: Chris Ludman, St. Mark's, sophomore

Defense

DE: Earl Jeter, Concord, senior

DE: Jonathan Smith, Middletown, junior

DT: William Vanneman, Salesianum, senior

DT: Jhemir Stanley, St. Georges, junior

LB: Bill Stradley, Salesianum, senior

LB: Spencer Harbert, Middletown, senior

LB: Matthew Bowe, Caravel, senior

LB: Patrick Udovich, Archmere, senior

DB: Michael Drake, Salesianum, senior

DB: Antwain Holden, Woodbridge, senior

DB: Malik Banks, Howard, junior

DB: Ben Ashby, Cape Henlopen, junior

DIFCA THIRD TEAM

Offense

QB: Justin Beneck, Friends, senior

RB: Sam Ragland, Tatnall, senior

RB: Timothy Jones, Sussex Central, senior

FB: Andrew Jaworski, Friends, senior

WR: Cameron Easton, Tatnall, senior

WR: Korey Kent, Howard, senior

TE: Doug Phillips, St. Georges, senior

T: Charles Hope, William Penn, senior

T: Curtis Linton, Caravel, senior

G: Collins Adu-Gyamfi, William Penn, senior

G: Isaiah Gatling, St. Georges, senior

C: Darin Matthews, Howard, senior

RET: Terin Cochran, William Penn, junior

K: Maverick Jackson, Caravel, senior

P: Spencer Read, Mount Pleasant, senior

Defense

DE: David Balint, St. Mark's, senior

DE: Hunter Moyer, Smyrna, junior

DT: Keith Medley, Caravel, senior

DT: Da'Vontae Copes, Sussex Central, senior

LB: Kedrick Whitehead, Middletown, junior

LB: David Hazelton, St. Elizabeth, senior

LB: Jason Stewart, St. Georges, senior

LB: Dominyc Hovington, Milford, senior

DB: John Rodel Castro, Dover, senior

DB: Oladayo Adeleke, Hodgson, senior

DB: Jared Duncan, Tatnall, junior

DB: Derek Thompson, Appoquinimink, junior

Reactions: Porky Bacon
Cue Dragons fans breathing fire... One first team DB Grinnell and 1 second team WR Credle.. Not a good result for one of the most talented teams in state .. just saying

Reactions: Jawnsky
I think they did a good job as well.. seems balanced than in years past IMO
Well balanced??? Could've fooled me..How does St. George's place 5 and Friends only 2. Friends mopped the floor with St. George's and surprised everyone by taking Woodbridge to the end and gets two on 3rd team. Same BS last two years when they went to semi-finals and had zero all- state selections.

I will say the C for Smyrna dominated the NG for Mt in the ship.. Dont know the kids names but the C for Smyrna should be on one the list being he dominated the Lineman of the Year and a fist team DT,, but thats my only case for a snub

Last edited:
Well balanced??? Could've fooled me..How does St. George's place 5 and Friends only 2. Friends mopped the floor with St. George's and surprised everyone by taking Woodbridge to the end and gets two on 3rd team. Same BS last two years when they went to semi-finals and had zero all- state selections.
because its an individual award not a team award maybe?..not that I know who even half the kids on these lists are but they got the top skills right .. the rest is horse trading ,, you know that,, Voters arent reviewing film on every kid on the conference or non conferences lists and not pouring over stats,, They go by teams they played and knowing the names.. Who beat who doesnt even matter in individual awards..

If you watched what really happened in that game the NG for Mtown was double teamed by the center/guard combination almost every play.

because its an individual award not a team award maybe?..not that I know who even half the kids on these lists are but they got the top skills right .. the rest is horse trading ,, you know that,, Voters arent reviewing film on every kid on the conference or non conferences lists and not pouring over stats,, They go by teams they played and knowing the names.. Who beat who doesnt even matter in individual awards..

Agree. System seems very political with big conferences getting their guys in over small conference teams.

If you watched what really happened in that game the NG for Mtown was double teamed by the center/guard combination almost every play.
well when you run a 3 man front that happens... There are plenty of techniques to beat a double team.. I would expect a 1st team All Stater to do that,,,Not to mention most NG's get DT's all the time... I am not saying the DT didnt deserve AS because the ship was my only reference .. My point was the Smryna C deserved at least 3rd team C based on his body of work.. But was a unknown name and I get that.. I was throwing just some props his way..

Exactly Raven... So why the stab at the Glasgow kids yet again? The fact that Howard, st. Georges and even Tatnall had more kids on that list than Glasgow says all I need to know about how these lists are made... And that's nothing against any of the kids selected... But you of anyone on here who claims to follow Delaware high school football so closely should know that there are a lot of snubs every year... And the majority of the kids selected usually come from most of the same programs every year... Which aren't necassary the best of the best.. Same can be said for the blue gold game....its more of the case that your team did well and we have heard of you more than the other kids.... So congrats to those that made it... And to those that didn't odds are you probably should have... No need to continue to take shots at the Glasgow kids... Grow up big guy

Just so you know when a defensive lineman gets double teamed his job is to hold his ground and not get pushed out of his gap responsibility.

Exactly Raven... So why the stab at the Glasgow kids yet again? The fact that Howard, st. Georges and even Tatnall had more kids on that list than Glasgow says all I need to know about how these lists are made... And that's nothing against any of the kids selected... But you of anyone on here who claims to follow Delaware high school football so closely should know that there are a lot of snubs every year... And the majority of the kids selected usually come from most of the same programs every year... Which aren't necassary the best of the best.. Same can be said for the blue gold game....its more of the case that your team did well and we have heard of you more than the other kids.... So congrats to those that made it... And to those that didn't odds are you probably should have... No need to continue to take shots at the Glasgow kids... Grow up big guy

It was one last parting shot at YOU done in jest .. not the kids.. The kids didn't say what you did .. the kids didnt post 20 huddle highlights. YOU did..stop blaming the kids for your over zealousness and stop blaming me for it...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT