ADVERTISEMENT

POY Awards

Just a question - why does DIAA not require teams to provide stats to MaxPreps (or similar site)? I can understand why some teams didn't back before video was prevalent but now there's no excuse why somebody can't go through to gather fairly accurate stats. Are schools in other states more consistent about compiling/posting such info?

Just a question - why does DIAA not require teams to provide stats to MaxPreps (or similar site)? I can understand why some teams didn't back before video was prevalent but now there's no excuse why somebody can't go through to gather fairly accurate stats. Are schools in other states more consistent about compiling/posting such info?
Because most of the stats on MP are provided by a parent who decides to do it then stops when their kid is no longer playing,, Also many coaches think individual stats are BS and its a team game, I get the modern media focuses on stats as do the fantasy football owners,, The game is more than that,,, Hell even ESPN created their own stat that is not an official football stat. QB wins.. There are only two team sports where wins are attributed to a player ice hockey goalies and pitchers in baseball other than that all wins are attributed to the HC in team sports

Last edited:
Because most of the stats on MP are provided by a parent who decides to do it then stops when their kid is no longer playing,, Also many coaches think individual stats are BS and its a team game, I get the modern media focuses on stats as do the fantasy football owners,, The game is more than that,,, Hell even ESPN created their own stat that is not an official football stat. QB wins.. There are only two team sports where wins are attributed to a player ice hockey goalies and pitchers in baseball other than that all wins are attributed to the HC in team sports
I agree with the premise of what you're saying that it's a team game but there is still value in knowing how many yards a QB throws for, # of tackles made, etc. Just think it would be nice to have a reliable source for that kind of info (not something a player or parent posts).

There would be to much inconsistacy that would make stats unreliable. The other issue hz the differences in the level of competition. Another thing to consider are blowouts and games with running clocks. The starters only played 1/2 to 2/3's of a game in most of Mtown & smryna games. The average margin of victory for those teams was 35-40 points.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
I post video because that's what counts in my opinion and should be how these things are determined, along with character, coaches input etc about the kid and the kids production.
I agree that tape is best, but not all coaches use HUDL.

Roberts not only LB to put up big numbers.

(Concord) Roberts 135 tackles, 23 TFL, 8 sacks.

(Caravel) Bowe 137 tackles, 25 TFL, 5 sacks. Similar strength of schedule.

Reactions: A.I.Pride
There would be to much inconsistacy that would make stats unreliable. The other issue hz the differences in the level of competition. Another thing to consider are blowouts and games with running clocks. The starters only played 1/2 to 2/3's of a game in most of Mtown & smryna games. The average margin of victory for those teams was 35-40 points.
Obviously stats must be taken with a grain of salt due to the things you mentioned but I do like seeing actual numbers and think there is value in keeping them for historical review.

Obviously stats must be taken with a grain of salt due to the things you mentioned but I do like seeing actual numbers and think there is value in keeping them for historical review.
One of the features of hudl is the ability to track stats and have the play by play to prove the stats are accurate. For example, all you have to do is click on total tackles and it will show each tackle play by play.

Roberts not only LB to put up big numbers.

(Concord) Roberts 135 tackles, 23 TFL, 8 sacks.

(Caravel) Bowe 137 tackles, 25 TFL, 5 sacks. Similar strength of schedule.
Strength of schedule is not equal. It's a rarity that a D2 schedule will match up to a D1 Flight A or Henlopeh North schedule.

Check calpreps or macpreps.

CA slightly tougher schedule, but within 2pts. 13 vs 11 and change.

If your team has HUDL the HC could designate a JV, Frosh coach to tag the statistically categories to keep stats. HUDL also links with Max Preps to update statistics.

Only problem this day and age is when you have honest coach who totaled Johnny's tackles at 8 and the old man is claiming 14. That's a whole other thread.

If your school doesn't have HUDL by now I think they are doing a blatant disservice to not only the student athletes who play football(HUDL's prime sport) but ALL student athletes as HUDL has seriously upped the ante with the ability to film ALOT of sports. Helps coaches, but more importantly helps the kids!

Cheers,

Busch

Reactions: Jawnsky
Check calpreps or macpreps.

CA slightly tougher schedule, but within 2pts. 13 vs 11 and change.
Calpreps and Maxprep don't know much about Delaware. I'm not really sure how they rank teams in Delaware or if they really even care. I'm guessing rankings are based on old seasons or past seasons of the school programs. Last I checked they still had St. Marks and Howard in the top 5 overall teams in the state. Now we know that's not right.

Caravels two toughest opponents on their schedule were Sallies and Concord. Everyone else they should have or did beat, because that schedule was that easy.

They were given an opportunity to play them both and Middletown next season, but they turned it down. They were either confident or cocky enough to try to hang this year, but I think their coaches understand a little better of how it all works now. Take a look at what they have set up so far for next year and say I'm wrong.

Last edited:
@AI Calpreps/Maxpreps is a rating system not rankings done just off numbers by a computer algorythem

This explains how the ratings are computed its the Freeman system

http://calpreps.com/ratings.htm

The most important thing to understand about how our computer power ratings system works is that it is 100% objective. The size of the schools, their division, the league they're in, how good the school* or league are historically, their geographic location, how well liked the school is, how good the league is in other sports-- none of these things are programmed into the system. None of them are there to bias it the way that they inevitably bias humans saddled with the daunting task of trying to figure who belongs in post-season play. Rather, they are just a bunch of teams with a bunch of results. Cold, hard, and unfeeling, yes...but as accurate, objective and fair as is possible.............

Reactions: A.I.Pride
also with the computer ratings the only fully accurate result will be the final one after all the games were played as it changes week to week as more results get get entered. Looking at their DE final results it seems pretty accurate to me

http://calpreps.com/2016/ratings/Delaware_all.htm
I agree with you and think it all looks pretty accurate as far if how teams ended. The discussion was about strength of schedule.

Jwb's claim was Caravels strength of schedule was tougher then Concords and his reasoning was what was in the Calpreps and Maxpreps websites. My rebuttal was that those sites have no idea what's going on in Delaware to guess that. Take a look at some of the teams strength of schedules. Many of them have the same schedules, but their SOS is different. For example, Sallies played a very similar schedule to most Flight A teams and Smyrna, but the difference in strength of schedule is entirely different. Penn and Concord played the same exact schedule, except Penn played St. George's and Concord played Caravel, but their strength of schedule is different. Sussex Tech and Smyrna played pretty much the same schedule, but their SOS is different. Some of the teams strength of schedules are even in the negatives. Point was they didn't do good as far as strength of schedule on the sites.

Reactions: bone_em_up
I think DEPreps (our forum) is probably the most accurate compilation of rankings available for HS Football in the 1st state. The DIAA tourney committee should pick 4 teams in D1 and 6 in D2, we should select the remaining at large teams.
-We should also have a say in all awards!

Reactions: HSftballlaxFan

Maxpreps is a great avenue to get stats out on the state and national level. Good coaches always go back through film and double check statistics to help their athletes on the field or at the next level.

I'm not sure about other states but from my experience seems like MD and PA schools utilize it a lot.

I agree with you and think it all looks pretty accurate as far if how teams ended. The discussion was about strength of schedule.

Jwb's claim was Caravels strength of schedule was tougher then Concords and his reasoning was what was in the Calpreps and Maxpreps websites. My rebuttal was that those sites have no idea what's going on in Delaware to guess that. Take a look at some of the teams strength of schedules. Many of them have the same schedules, but their SOS is different. For example, Sallies played a very similar schedule to most Flight A teams and Smyrna, but the difference in strength of schedule is entirely different. Penn and Concord played the same exact schedule, except Penn played St. George's and Concord played Caravel, but their strength of schedule is different. Sussex Tech and Smyrna played pretty much the same schedule, but their SOS is different. Some of the teams strength of schedules are even in the negatives. Point was they didn't do good as far as strength of schedule on the sites.

WP and Concord did have eight common opponents this season, WP three non common games include #225 Smyrna, #3315 Sussex Central, #5108 Saint Georges.

Concord's non common opponent was #3606 Caravel and they played #1588 Salesianum a second time.

William Penn played an additional game then Concord because they won in the playoffs and drew Smyrna. Their is going to be a slight discrepancy in strength of schedule when one team plays a team ranked that high overall.

Additionally, Sussex Tech and Smyrna had six common games this year. Smyrna played William Penn and Middletown (big SOS games), with Appo, Delcastle, and Howard. While ST had AI, IR, & Laurel (not helping SOS). Can't lose to a team ranked at #7839 in the country and think your SOS is going to be helped.

Cheers,

Busch

WP and Concord did have eight common opponents this season, WP three non common games include #225 Smyrna, #3315 Sussex Central, #5108 Saint Georges.

Concord's non common opponent was #3606 Caravel and they played #1588 Salesianum a second time.

William Penn played an additional game then Concord because they won in the playoffs and drew Smyrna. Their is going to be a slight discrepancy in strength of schedule when one team plays a team ranked that high overall.

Additionally, Sussex Tech and Smyrna had six common games this year. Smyrna played William Penn and Middletown (big SOS games), with Appo, Delcastle, and Howard. While ST had AI, IR, & Laurel (not helping SOS). Can't lose to a team ranked at #7839 in the country and think your SOS is going to be helped.

Cheers,

Busch

Nice Piece of Analysis.

Pulled this out of the BS File Cabinet
-------------------------------------------

I recall when this entire board had the first 3000 hits...We had to send VHS to College Coaches...Sometimes Staff would move on to bigger and better things and your tape would tag along or got misplaced in Ohio and found in NC then returned via VA. Hudl makes life easier.

38 cavaliercharlie, Dec 18, 2012

It's my opinion that unless your a qb, we, or rb stats don't mean anything. Way to many 1st ream all staters get there because of previous reputation and certain coaches that seam to rule the voting some how. Most are very deserving to be be in the mix somewhere. It's nothing new. It goes on everywhere. Not just Delaware.

Just eyeballing it, they appear about equal to me.

7 Concord (Wilmington, DE) team preview trend Delaware Blue Hen Flight - A I
7-4 6-2 (3rd) 6-4 20.4 11.4 63-57
#727 Middletown (DE) (L 20-9),
#1545 Salesianum (Wilmington, DE) (L 38-14),
#1545 Salesianum (Wilmington, DE) (L 20-0),
#1811 Penn [William] (New Castle, DE) (L 14-7)
#3621 Caravel (Bear, DE) (W 30-19),
#6734 Appoquinimink (West Middletown, DE) (W 30-0),
#7810 Mount Pleasant (Wilmington, DE) (W 43-6),
#8416 DuPont [Alexis I.] (Wilmington, DE) (W 48-12),
#9966 Newark (DE) (W 44-13),
#12043 Wilmington Charter (Wilmington, DE) (W 42-6),
#13113 Delcastle Vo-Tech (Wilmington, DE) (W 55-0),

9 Caravel (Bear, DE) team preview trend Delaware Freelance II
8-4 5-1 19.3 13.1 84-51
#1545 Salesianum (Wilmington, DE) (L 36-12),
#1566 Woodbridge (Bridgeville, DE) (L 21-6),
#2195 Elkton (MD) (L 28-20),
#3410 Concord (Wilmington, DE) (L 30-19)
#4010 Cape Henlopen (Lewes, DE) (W 14-7),
#5256 Glasgow (Newark, DE) (W 21-16),
#5892 St. Mark's (Wilmington, DE) (W 7-0),
#6313 Delmar (DE) (W 45-28),
#7996 Archmere Academy (Claymont, DE) (W 21-7),
#8008 Silver Oak Academy (Keymar, MD) (W 38-0),
#8442 Hodgson Vo-Tech [Paul M.] (Newark, DE) (W 24-0),
#11705 Capitol Christian Academy (Landover, MD) (W 42-20),

Godwin/Wade best QB/WR tandem. Godwin is the best high school player I've ever seen in person
You have got to be to young to remember a quite few tandems that would be listed ahead of your selection. A couple of chips does not make a dinisty or best players of all-time...ha. In the last 2 years, yes I will give you that.

Just so you know when a defensive lineman gets double teamed his job is to hold his ground and not get pushed out of his gap responsibility.

All state D- linemen should and D1 prospects, WiLL split said double and make a tackle for lose the majority of the time. They also regularly occupy double teams, and the leading FB/RB without giving ground allowing LB’s to flow and make plays. I Think this was the point, and probably why this young man ended up at Salisbury rather then a higher division. Before you say it was his height because that always seems to be your argument over and over about every position. “ Almost like this happened to you ” there are 100s of D 1 NG equal in height, and size to this young man on rosters. Maybe not in the NFL but they are all over at the FBS, FCS, & D2 level. Your fixated on size in regards to everything is just not the reason. Skill & twitch / explosiveness is what coach’s look for. At every position. No one wants a 6’4” 300 pound guy that can’t move or get out of his own way. Just watching kids run in space will tell you a lot. Your not really paying attention to what’s important. Your like a kid who looks at the program and is fascinated about the listed height and weight. Colleges recruit athletes.

All state D- linemen should and D1 prospects, WiLL split said double and make a tackle for lose the majority of the time. They also regularly occupy double teams, and the leading FB/RB without giving ground allowing LB’s to flow and make plays. I Think this was the point, and probably why this young man ended up at Salisbury rather then a higher division. Before you say it was his height because that always seems to be your argument over and over about every position. “ Almost like this happened to you ” there are 100s of D 1 NG equal in height, and size to this young man on rosters. Maybe not in the NFL but they are all over at the FBS, FCS, & D2 level. Your fixated on size in regards to everything is just not the reason. Skill & twitch / explosiveness is what coach’s look for. At every position. No one wants a 6’4” 300 pound guy that can’t move or get out of his own way. Just watching kids run in space will tell you a lot. Your not really paying attention to what’s important. Your like a kid who looks at the program and is fascinated about the listed height and weight. Colleges recruit athletes.
Do you realize that you responded to a post from 2016? Who are you? Rip Van winkle?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT