ADVERTISEMENT

Pre Season Predictions?

Backinblack on crack with those 2A picks. Glad you are sleeping on some teams. Also glad you have an opinion and you post it. Keeps it fresh.
hey I admitted I forgot about St Marks. You can put them anywhere from 1-4... any one of 6-8 teams could win it. Just riding with history lol

Past their prime? What the hell does that even mean? They were a young team last year how the hell could they be past their prime?
I mean that they won’t compete for a State Championship for awhile. I know they were a young team but they didn’t compete against any top team in the state

Posted our first podcast of the season today.

I really liked the podcast.

But I have to ask, the sweeping statement that “these private schools are just taking kids from these public schools”. “Public schools are really taking the hit”.

Is that really happening in droves? I know it’s a popular narrative but is it accurate? The one example provided was Red Lion which is private to St Marks which is private.

By this board, it seems that there’s more transfers to public schools (DMA, Smyrna, Middletown).

But I have to ask, the sweeping statement that “these private schools are just taking kids from these public schools”. “Public schools are really taking the hit”.

Is that really happening in droves? I know it’s a popular narrative but is it accurate? The one example provided was Red Lion which is private to St Marks which is private.

By this board, it seems that there’s more transfers to public schools (DMA, Smyrna, Middletown).
DMA isn’t a traditional Public school any kid from anywhere in the state could go there. I think from a general standpoint more kids are going to Private schools instead of public schools going into their freshman year. That’s what is happening up north.

To add, I think it’s great to support your team as long as you are not constantly pointing out the negatives of your main opponent. Let’s the kids settle it on the field without adults bashing each other’s schools, just saying stay classy
So obvious! Can’t even call it a hidden agenda because it’s not hidden at all. Pathetic parents will always be jus that.

DMA isn’t a traditional Public school any kid from anywhere in the state could go there. I think from a general standpoint more kids are going to Private schools instead of public schools going into their freshman year. That’s what is happening up north.

That’s valid. But DMA is a public school as charter schools are public.

And sure. If a kid chooses a private school as a 9th grader. I get it.

The way the guys on the podcast made it sound was that “these poor public schools” are losing their transfers to private schools.

I don’t know so I’m asking. But it doesn’t seem accurate based on what I read here.

No . If one of us said that, we must have meant Yamir. There’s just so many dang Knight’s down there lol.

lol Buzby said Smyrna was once again going to be the Knight and Knight show with Yamir and Wayne...

confused-no.gif

Reactions: MTownCavs09

yeah they went kind soft with Smyrna and MT and didn't get into all the OOS transfers to a public school and the big Smyrna acquisition in their assessments. Besides Buzby saying Smyrna was going to be the Knight and Knight show with Yamir and Wayne, Marty said it was going to be the Wright and Knight show.. naw going to be the Knight and Holman show. Wright just has to manage things and get the rock to the best matchup.

Last edited:

The way the guys on the podcast made it sound was that “these poor public schools” are losing their transfers to private schools.

I don’t know so I’m asking. But it doesn’t seem accurate based on what I read here.
Great question. We sent out questionnaires to every coach in the state asking about, among other things, transfers. Based on what we got back (about 65% responded), the majority of transfers up north were from public to private. Now, it’s all relative because the majority of those transfers were not impact players lsst season. In terms of impact players, it seemed they were more public to public.

yeah they went kind soft with Smyrna and MT and didn't get into all the OOS transfers to a public school and the big Smyrna acquisition in their assessments. Besides Buzby saying Smyrna was going to to the Knight and Knight show with Yamir and Wayne, Marty said it was going to be the Wright and Knight show.. naw going to be the Knight and Holman show. Wright just has to manage things and get the rock to the best matchup.
Agreed 💯. In my defense, we were asked not to mention Holman’s situation specifically. I inadvertently did at one point, but we edited it out.

Agreed 💯. In my defense, we were asked not to mention Holman’s situation specifically. I inadvertently did at one point, but we edited it out.

I understand. You still have to live here..lol You should listen to some of the high school football podcasts down south like Georgia.. Them boys don't hold back and would have been all over it but I understand why you have to show some restraint and keep some peace.

Reactions: Huskerman7
I understand. You still have to live here..lol You should listen to some of the high school football podcasts down south like Georgia.. Them boys don't hold back and would have been all over it but I understand why you have to show some restraint and keep some peace.
The only times I’ve held back is if it could potentially be detrimental to a specific kid. I’ve been blocked by certain MT folks for my take on their state title.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
Anyone hear anything about the AI/Milford scrimmage. I hear AI had a very low player turnout - they are hoping to get more players when school starts but I don’t think that will help them for their week 0 game

Will they have enough to play their week 0 game? DELHS-CPers wanna know

There are some public schools (Middletown, Smyrna, Dover, etc.) who fare just as well at the transfer game as the privates, but being that I've lived here my whole life before there was an explosion of charters and privates, it's accurate. William Penn and Newark dominated high school FB for many years and they've lost so many kids to Hodgson/Caravel/now St. Georges, etc. It's unfortunate that a school like A.I., who was a state semifinalist not too long ago, can barely field a team. A lot of that has to do with the willingness of the powers that be to allow public education to choke to death on its own blood.

Last edited:
There was a comment made about a coach up North calling the Transfers and such the Wild West. It was me who said that and stick to it. There are some schools that take transfers very serious and others are happy to have the players, and will worry about the rules later (ask for forgiveness syndrome).
This is not a complaint - as said before, you set the rules with no rules, or shall I say no punishment. So what do you expect to happen.
The DIAA has no one to police. They are members that have Jobs/Careers, and are focused on the letter of the law and redefining and refining that rather than making a darn decision.
SO decisions do not get made as there is nobody out there 'on the streets' gathering the information so a determination can be made.
Instead, we will talk about it at the next meeting, then the next meeting - you get the picture. I have a hard time even saying this, but you almost can not fault the coaches or admins for looking the other way. It works for the kid, the kids family, and though it may not 'LOOK right' - nothing will be done about it, and well oh well.

I don't like it one bit, never have, however I am a realist. So I will keep it real. Penalize those that are not following the rules, or change the rules!

All in peace and love.

There are some public schools (Middletown, Smyrna, Dover, etc.) who fare just as well at the transfer game as the privates, but being that I've lived here my whole life before there was an explosion of charters and privates, it's accurate. William Penn and Newark dominated high school FB for many years and they've lost so many kids to Hodgson/Caravel/now St. Georges, etc. It's unfortunate that a school like A.I., who was a state semifinalist not too long ago, can barely field a team. A lot of that has to do with the willingness of the powers that be to allow public education to choke to death on its own blood.

I’m new here so I’m just trying to figure it all out myself.

The guys on the podcast were specifically talking about (paraphrasing here) “public schools being decimated because the kids are transferring to private schools”.

I don’t see that nearly as much as public to public.

The schools you mentioned William Penn and Newark as examples of public schools being hurt by transfers. But then you mention Hodson and St Georges which are also public schools.

I guess I’m asking the group…this year or last year…which kids transferred from a public school to a private school. My guess is it’s a smaller percentage than public to public.

I just think it’s a false narrative that gets pushed because its easy (the rich get richer).

The guys on the podcast were specifically talking about (paraphrasing here) “public schools being decimated because the kids are transferring to private schools”.

The schools you mentioned William Penn and Newark as examples of public schools being hurt by transfers. But then you mention Hodson and St Georges which are also public schools.

I guess I’m asking the group…this year or last year…which kids transferred from a public school to a private school. My guess is it’s a smaller percentage than public to public.

I just think it’s a false narrative that gets pushed because its easy (the rich get richer).

Just curious, if you have a student athlete who has the potential to play college sports, does it make any sense as a parent to send them to a school with both below average academics ,and well below athletic programs? We are already in an disadvantage because our state is so small with such a small amount of kids getting D1 offers as is.

To me, if children have to apply to enroll, it's not a public school. I graduated from Howard a few moons ago and though generations of my family attended (because it was the only school in Wilmington open to Black folk in those days), by the time I came along it was a vo-tech school and I had to apply, in spite of living only four blocks away. The further we get away from traditional public education/feeder schools, the more it feels elitist rather than a God-given right and that definitely trickles down to sports.

The techs and charters are more responsible for taking public school kids overall, privates to a smaller degree. People are using the techs and charters as free private schools.

The only way to curb some of it is to get rid of school choice and a lottery system for techs and charters.

The techs started to be a problem down south with Sussex Tech and Poly but upgrades to the public schools and facilities ( Dover, Smyrna, Central, Woodbridge), put an end to that.

Last edited:
Do you “forum” think that transfers should be allowed to matter address etc…but maybe limit the amount you can have on your roster? I’m sure that just opens up more issues but it’s better then having kids lie about where they live just for a chance to be on a better team to possibly get better offers

? We are already in an disadvantage because our state is so small with such a small amount of kids getting D1 offers as is.

This isn't really 100% accurate. Yes we have a small number of D1 offered players but by percentage of high school football players Delaware is always in the top 10 vs the other states. Been that way since probably going back to the RLCA scandal. If anything, the RLCA/FLASH TRAINING did do was it woke some college recruiters up to at least check out Delaware on their way from Baltimore to Philly and of course jump started DE players into hitting up the camps and participating in the 7v7 teams like the Damon Daniels Team Delaware and other training programs. Now that is all common place.

The techs and charters are more responsible for taking public school kids overall, privates to a smaller degree. People are using the techs and charters as free private schools.

The only way to curb some of it is to get rid of school choice and a lottery system for techs and charters.

The techs started to be a problem down south with Sussex Tech and Poly but upgrades to the public schools and facilities ( Dover, Smyrna, Central, Woodbridge), put an end to that.

This is how my uneducated eye sees it. And if you want to lump charters and techs together, that’s fine (like Gate above).

But then the “enemy” isn’t private schools. It’s school choice.

This is how my uneducated eye sees it. And if you want to lump charters and techs together, that’s fine (like Gate above).

But then the “enemy” isn’t private schools. It’s school choice.

Delaware is the only state I am aware of where the Tech schools have top football or basketball programs.
Eastern VoTech in Baltimore County rose up in the late 90's early 2000's and started building strong football and baseball programs (by basically cheating admissions by putting top athletes ahead on the acceptance order) but the County School Board stepped in and took over admissions of techs and now its all lottery of qualified applicants and that put an end to that.

There are three reasons for why public schools are in this current condition: RTTT money, grad rates and state testing. When Delaware took the RTTT money from the Obama administration, all schools had discipline rules to follow. Suspensions were now tracked by demographically. Schools can't have too many for a particular group or they get called to the carpet by the state. So now schools can't deal with the problems and parents are getting their kids out. The second issue is the DDOE started barking at schools about grad rates 10-12 years ago. Now schools have had to increase their grad rate and this has been accomplished by severely lowering academics. Some public school's diplomas not worth the paper they are on. This is why the pres at UD called out public schools in Delaware about how so many applicants are are not ready for Delaware's academic load. Lastly, the DDOE started requiring vo-techs to submit state testing results as all the other public had to. Vo-techs have had to go get the best students so their scores are better leaving out some who really need a vo-tech setting. These are reasons for so many public school kids going private and vo-tech, and these are strictly academic and discipline reasons. Athletics is only a part of it.

Do you “forum” think that transfers should be allowed to matter address etc…but maybe limit the amount you can have on your roster? I’m sure that just opens up more issues but it’s better then having kids lie about where they live just for a chance to be on a better team to possibly get better offers

Don't think they can step in like that on what is supposed to be an educational decision. How do you decide if say 10 kids transfer to a school but you have to tell them only two of you can play football... The schools have to monitor their transfers and the reasons for transferring and if the transfer is for athletic purpose they should tell them they would have to sit a year. but you know that won't happen and DIAA won't pull that card either, not in todays climate.

Really unless someone comes out and says yeah we transferred to that school because of any of the athletic purposes listed in the rules , how is the DIAA Board supposed to say why someone moved where? They can't. It would be all circumstantial evidence and that won't fly when you are talking about making a kid sit a year. Especially their senior year.

Last edited:
The biggest thing for me is if a kid is legally enrolled in a school and in good academic standing how can you tell them they can't play sports but hey you can be in the band or any other after school activity you want? You can't and DIAA would lose that case if it were to go to court. (like it has in a few states already and the student won every case) I assume DIAA knows this and why they are reluctant to not give waivers.

If were gonna have school choice then this is what we have and we will just need to get used to the transfers. If the transfers are done by falsifying anything well then you ding em..

Reactions: DEfootballFan6
There are three reasons for why public schools are in this current condition: RTTT money, grad rates and state testing. When Delaware took the RTTT money from the Obama administration, all schools had discipline rules to follow. Suspensions were now tracked by demographically. Schools can't have too many for a particular group or they get called to the carpet by the state. So now schools can't deal with the problems and parents are getting their kids out. The second issue is the DDOE started barking at schools about grad rates 10-12 years ago. Now schools have had to increase their grad rate and this has been accomplished by severely lowering academics. Some public school's diplomas not worth the paper they are on. This is why the pres at UD called out public schools in Delaware about how so many applicants are are not ready for Delaware's academic load. Lastly, the DDOE started requiring vo-techs to submit state testing results as all the other public had to. Vo-techs have had to go get the best students so their scores are better leaving out some who really need a vo-tech setting. These are reasons for so many public school kids going private and vo-tech, and these are strictly academic and discipline reasons. Athletics is only a part of it.
Concerning all the graduation rates and percentage, I forgot what school district is doing but I remember something in the paper about how said school district is implementing a system that no longer does grades A,B,C,D,F. And now doing Satisfactory, unsatisfactory, incomplete. To better the amount of students passing and moving on.

The biggest thing for me is if a kid is legally enrolled in a school and in good academic standing how can you tell them they can't play sports but hey you can be in the band or any other after school activity you want? You can't and DIAA would lose that case if it were to go to court. (like it has in a few states already and the student won every case) I assume DIAA knows this and why they are reluctant to not give waivers.

If were gonna have school choice then this is what we have and we will just need to get used to the transfers. If the transfers are done by falsifying anything well then you ding em..

This is what I was trying to get to the “bottom of”.

It’s seemingly not just a “public schools are losing kids to private schools”.

It’s more of a “underperforming public schools are losing kids to schools that have their programs together”.

But listening to the podcast, the guys made it sound like private schools on high just poaching from the poor lil public schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT