ADVERTISEMENT

rule changes

First_state_gridiron

Good all around Player
Aug 22, 2014
Been retired from coaching HS football for several years now (not in DE) but still have friends who are actively coaching in my home state that I keep in touch with. Had lunch with a few just recently and we were talking about the new rule changes. Most seemed happy about the modified Intentional grounding rules. Many thought allowing 0 as a legal number was stupid and a waste of ink to print the modification!!

One thing they were very concerned about was the "point of emphasis" published by the federation (which sets the rules for HS sports in most states). Players wearing illegal equipment shall be removed from the game (no change) and the coach shall receive an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (15 yards). Because the head coach confirms to the referees before the game that no illegal equipment shall be worn in the game, the penalty for illegal equipment goes against the head coach.

The specific example they showed me in the rule book is a player wearing '"eye shade that is not a single solid stroke" or shields that are not clear, and a few more should result in a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty against the head coach.

It could make for an interesting start of the season, if Delaware officials enforce this as dictated by the federation. Most likely it will be inconsistently enforced which tends to be the norm here..

for those interested

Football Rules Changes - 2022​

By NFHS on August 02, 2022

1-2-3g NOTES 3. (NEW): Team Box May Be Extended By State Association Adoption
By state association adoption, the team box may now be extended beyond the 25-yard line.

1-3-3: Ball May Be Changed Between Downs
Any game official may order the ball changed between downs.

1-4-3: The Number “0” Is Now Legal
The single digit number “0” is now a legal number.

2-3-8: A Chop Block Has Been Redefined
A chop block has been redefined as an illegal combination block where contact is made above and below the waist.

3-4-7: Clarified The Offended Team’s Game Clock Options
Clarified the offended team’s game clock options following a foul committed with less than two minutes remaining in either half.

3-6-1a(1)e EXCEPTION 2. (NEW): Added A New Exception To The Play Clock Administration
Added a new exception to the play clock administration following a foul committed only by the defensive team.

7-5-2 EXCEPTION 2. (NEW): Added A New Exception For The Passer
Added a new exception that allows the passer to legally throw the ball away to conserve yardage.

2022 EDITORIAL CHANGES

2-28-2; 5-2-4; 6-2-6; 10-2-2; 10-2-3; FOOTBALL FUNDAMENTALS – VII-2, X-3-E; RESOLVING TIED GAMES – 5-1-1, 8-3; NINE-, EIGHT- AND SIX-PLAYER RULES DIFFERENCES – RULE 2 and 7

2022 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. Targeting / Defenseless Player
  2. Legal Uniforms and Equipment
  3. Sportsmanship

#3 @Longagoplayer already asked about in another thread. When the ref dropped a unsportsmanlike on the team DMA was scrimmaging first play. Setting the tone from jump.

The specific example they showed me in the rule book is a player wearing '"eye shade that is not a single solid stroke" or shields that are not clear, and a few more should result in a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty against the head coach.
So we won't be seeing kids who look like Gene Simmons. I kind of like the creative face paint. Calling Dr. Love!

So we won't be seeing kids who look like Gene Simmons. I kind of like the creative face paint. Calling Dr. Love!

or this guy

rsz_program1-1160x665.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT