ADVERTISEMENT

So we’re two weeks out from first games.....

delawarenole

Top 100 Prospect
Mar 29, 2002
And the DIAA punted a bunch of shit.

autobids and point system are a go?

5 teams without complete schedules abs Sallies with only 3 games

no final mask rules

no scrimmages

is this going to get resolved before the first games?

The Lord only knows. All I know is DIAA's board is playing a dangerous game with a school with the rights to the most modern outdoor facility built here in recent memory.

And the DIAA punted a bunch of shit.

autobids and point system are a go?

5 teams without complete schedules abs Sallies with only 3 games

no final mask rules

no scrimmages

is this going to get resolved before the first games?
The Sals situation is baffling. The attorney for DIAA reminded the Board on several occasions about fairness and equality. It seems like the attorney understood the situation. I am not sure how I see Sals ability to schedule 3 games equal to everyone else.
Also, I don’t think the Sals AD argument of getting rid of the auto bids would have helped. I can’t imagine Someone scheduling Sallies and taking a chance to lose 6 points with only 4 making it this year. Plus, I would think not having the auto bids may screw some D2 teams because they may not have any D1 teams on their schedule for the extra points. The solution is easy. No conferences, no points, and have a committee decide the playoff teams for this year.
Although I am not a coach, I would have a difficult time playing this year with the inequality of the situation. I would hope I would tell my players you have to stand up for what is right.
And last but Not least. The people making the decisions are educators and have devoted their life to education the youth. Scary!!!!

I do not see how removing the auto-bids would have helped Sallies expand their schedule. IF the conferences are requiring the teams to play each other first, then the fight should be with the conferences first. It would have helped Sallies case if the some of the Blue Hen A schools had come out in support and said they would play Sallies if allowed by their conference.

I do not see how removing the auto-bids would have helped Sallies expand their schedule. IF the conferences are requiring the teams to play each other first, then the fight should be with the conferences first. It would have helped Sallies case if the some of the Blue Hen A schools had come out in support and said they would play Sallies if allowed by their conference.
Salesianum did approach the BHC and was rejected. They also offered to become members of the Henlopen North for this season only and not be eligible for the auto bid. That didn't work. That's why they went to the DIAA board. Perhaps they should have appeared at the football committee meetings last month and the other night, but from what I've seen, that committee had zero interest in altering anything this season.

For one season with extraordinary circumstances, the Division I schools could have worked together as one big pool of 16 teams (removing Polytech and Wilmington Charter) and put together a schedule.

The ruling by the DIAA and those on the board should not be a surprise to most people. Unfortunately like most things today it’s driven by bias and politics. None of which are good for those who would benefit the most, the Players. I have a proposal for those schools who had an opening and opportunity to put Sallies on their schedule. 1. If your scared get a dog. 2. The DIAA will give you a participation trophy this year.

Huskerman,
If I am not mistaken the attorney for DIAA stated at the meeting that DIAA allowed and approved the creation of the conferences. Thus they have ultimate control of their actions.
Every school pays a membership to DIAA. In DIAA purpose statement, they clearly state equitable competition between members.
Also, DIAA controls the playoff tournament. Sallies does not have enough games to qualify. I just do not see the equity here.

I agree with DO IT WRITE. Start over and have the teams schedule again and make sure everybody has enough games. It is doable. It will take more work, but if it would have been done fairly and equitable in the first place they would not be in this spot.

Sallies has gotten exactly the schedule they have made for themselves for generations. Sorry if it doesn't hand them anything, but it's just the way it is this year. Many schools are making hard decisions about fall sports throughout Delaware, Sallies is just another member of the club.

I think the Henlopen North should of let Sallies in for 1 season, that would of solved a lot. Surprised CR didn’t step up, we’ve played Sallies since I was in school

Reactions: delawarenole
Sals needs to get in on this.. All teams free to make a open schedule no mandatory league games

MIAA and IAAM (Womens spors) is a go starting immediately. Teams have been practicing and conditioning

Teams of both conferences are free to start and play open unaffiliated schedules

Schools competing in Maryland’s two largest private high school athletic organizations will have the option to play an open schedule this fall, The Capital has learned.

The Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association and Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland, which oversee dozens of private schools in the state, will allow member schools to play unaffiliated. There won’t be an official start date to the season since individual schools will have the ability to create their own schedules.

MIAA Teams

MIAA-A

Calvert Hall
McDonogh
Mount Saint Joes
Archbishop Spalding
Gilman
Loyola ( not officially back in MIAA A yet for football)

MIAA-B

Archbishop Curley
Boys Latin
Concordia Prep
St Vincent Pallotti
John Carroll
St Marys
St Pauls

Last edited:
Sals should be able to sell the Abe for teams to come as well as pretty much all the MIAA teams have pretty cool and or historic stadiums if they have to travel sans maybe Gilman. Loyola probably being my favorite for that old timey feel. I am hoping some Sals v MIAA games happen. Of course I have been hoping that for years on here lol...

Interesting regarding the new stadium. Howard and St E were supposed to play their home games there. But it appears they are playing their home games either as a visitor or neutral site. I thought other teams access was one of the premises of the stadium lease

Reactions: Titanium Shadow
Interesting regarding the new stadium. Howard and St E were supposed to play their home games there. But it appears they are playing their home games either as a visitor or neutral site. I thought other teams access was one of the premises of the stadium lease

Sallies was always going to have first dibs as of course, they put up 20 million bucks. While Sallies has been very transparent about sharing, it wouldn't surprise me if they took that promise back considering the way the DIAA meeting worked out (or didn't).

I don't think Sallies is squeezing anyone out of the ABE.. Once they get their Soccer and Football home games squared away then you will probably see some of those games moved over.. Not even sure the ABE is done and ready for play yet.. As of Friday there was still men and equipment working on it..

Last edited:
Salesianum did approach the BHC and was rejected. They also offered to become members of the Henlopen North for this season only and not be eligible for the auto bid. That didn't work. That's why they went to the DIAA board. Perhaps they should have appeared at the football committee meetings last month and the other night, but from what I've seen, that committee had zero interest in altering anything this season.

For one season with extraordinary circumstances, the Division I schools could have worked together as one big pool of 16 teams (removing Polytech and Wilmington Charter) and put together a schedule.

I already had this worked out in another thread and doesn't require much changes. Still can keep points and autobids. Just if there is a tie at the top of a conference and the teams didn't play head to head you break tie using common opponents ..It's simple

DIAA should just mandate if and if teams don't want to play then they can just take the fft

I'll go as far as to lay it out.. worked it out where TH doesn't get 3 D1 cakes and both MT and HVT have to play Sals. I can't think of a better way to christen the ABE than Sals vs MT ( had to use St G instead of Mt. P but St G schedules D2's as well) Tech to schedule Sals as well..

Week 1- Sals vs Middletown and Friends vs Concord
Week 3- Sals vs HVT and Tower Hill vs St Georges
Week 5- Sals vs Appo and Friends vs Delcastle

Tower Hill should schedule CA week 6

Possible Schedules as a result

Sals - MT, Dover, HVT, Smyrna, Appo, Central, Tech
Friends- Concord, Caravel, St Marks, TH, Delcastle, Seaford, TH
TH- Poly- Charter, St G's, Friends, St Marks, Caravel, Friends
CA- Milford, Friends, RLCA, Laurel, Cape, TH, Woodbridge

Solved.. every single team in DE has a 7 games schedule... no one has to go OOS

Dont think the ABE is done, close but not done. If they wrap it up I would expect games to shift there

Agreed - P0ly Tech, Charter, Delcastle etc shluld be D2 anyway

Yes they should be, but by the rules they can’t be so they won’t be. Tell Charter to stop counting Cab, tell Kent county to build another vo-tech and have kids stop applying for Delcastle.

Yes they should be, but by the rules they can’t be so they won’t be. Tell Charter to stop counting Cab, tell Kent county to build another vo-tech and have kids stop applying for Delcastle.

Delcastle is in New Castle County and is the northernmost tech in NCC. They also have the highest enrollment of the 4 NCC techs and by a large margin. Just not a lot of football players. Dtech has a high percentage of spanish students as there are a high percentage of spanish people in their area.

Howard- 735
HVT- 1099
St Georges- 1096
Delcastle- 1561

As for Charter they have 971 and Cab adds about 500 to the count.. DIAA rules are if kids in the building eligible to play for the teams then their enrollment counts.. Same as special education students count otherwise HVT nor St G would be D1

Last edited:
Should let delcastle cap there enrollment so they could be division II. But let’s all remember school is for education not athletics. Athletics is an extra curricular not a mandatory. As much as we all love sports in the end it’s about the education.

Reactions: Huskerman7
Delcastle , Charter, Poly and similar DI schools wouldn't be a problem if DIAA just subtracted points for DI schools that only won a few games.

For instance a D1 team that wins 0 or 1 game has 2 points subtracted and nets the winning team 4 points instead of 6, and a D1 team that wins 2 or 3 games has 1 points subtracted and nets the winning team 5 points instead of 6.

Or a D1 team that wins 0 or 1 game has 2 points subtracted and nets the winning team 4 points instead of 6, and a D1 team that wins 2 games has 1 points subtracted and nets the winning team 5 points instead of 6.

Or a D1 team that wins 0 games has 2 points subtracted and nets the winning team 4 points instead of 6, and a D1 team that wins 1 games has 1 points subtracted and nets the winning team 5 points instead of 6.

There are a lot of ways you could keep an unprincipled team (I think we all know who I am talking about) from abusing the points system without making Deltech, Charter, Poly DII.

I know this will never happen, but it would simply solve the problem.

Should let delcastle cap there enrollment so they could be division II. But let’s all remember school is for education not athletics. Athletics is an extra curricular not a mandatory. As much as we all love sports in the end it’s about the education.

Also not everything is about football. Delcastle is competitive in Boys and Girls Soccer, Girls Basketball and holds there own in Wrestling and some other sports..

BiB makes a great point - not every school is going to be great at everything at the same time or maybe ever.

For example, I went to Howard from 1995 to 1999, when we were a boys basketball power - two final four appearances and a state title. The football team was 17-23 during that same time period.

Fast forward 20-plus years and the Wildcat football team is a consistent state championship football contender while basketball has fallen back into the pack a little bit. Some schools are better conditioned to compete in certain sports while others are not. High school sports may change in some ways, but its cyclical nature will not. In 10 years, Delcastle could be what Hodgson is now. Never know.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
Easy out for DIAA don't split the points for Division 1 Division 2 let all games be worth 6 and 1 or 4 and 0. This is not about equality but playoffs.

Everyone always preaches that sports teaches many lessons, dealing with adversity being an important one. What message is Sallies sending with this threat of a lawsuit? In 20 years, who’s gonna care what happened in 2020? Use this as a teaching lesson that life isn’t always fair. Oh, and that when 200k+ have died from this virus, let’s make sure our priorities are in order.

Reactions: ReturnOfTheGate
Sallies can play but the remaining schools with open dates (Friends, Tower Hill, Caravel, Sussex Tech) either won't play them or Sallies does want to play them. Surprising that Tech won't step up.

Sallies can play but the remaining schools with open dates (Friends, Tower Hill, Caravel, Sussex Tech) either won't play them or Sallies does want to play them. Surprising that Tech won't step up.

Caravel doesn't share an open date with Sals.. I am sure they would play even though CA has lost some good players from last year that didn't make it back ( you could argue their 3 best skills). One went to Sals but CA not crying about it.... One also has to question why Tower Hill won't answer CA's call.. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Flight A - Full Conference Schedule
Flight B- Full Conference Schedule

Hen North -
Smyrna- W4 Sallies (Milf)
Dover- W2 Sallies (Poly)
Central- W6 Sallies (Milf)
Tech- W7 open (Poly)
CR- W3 Delmar (Poly)
Cape- W5 Caravel (Milf)
Poly- W1 Tower Hill, W3 IR, W5 Laurel, W7 Seaford
Milf- W1 CA, W2 WB, W4 Delmar, W6 Lake

Hen South -
Delmar- W3 CR, W4 Milf
Laurel- W4 CA, W5 Poly
Woodbridge- W2 Milf, W7 CA
Lake- W2 St Marks, W6 Mif
IR- W3 Poly, W5 FSMA
Seaford- W6 Friends, W7 Poly

Diamond-
Archmere- W4 St Marks
Conrad- W1 St Marks
DMA- W7 St Marks
St E's- W6 St Marks
RLCA- W3 CA
FSMA- W5 IR
Charter- W2 Tower Hill

Silk Panty- (Tatnall and St A out TH and Friends home and home)
Friends- W1 open, W2 CA, W3 St Marks, W5 open, W6 Seaford
Tower Hill- W1 Poly, W2 Charter, W3 open, W5 St Marks, W6 open

Non Conf-

St Marks- W1 Conrad, W2 Lake, W3 Friends, W4 Arch, W5 TH, W6 St E, W7 DMA
CA- W1 Milf, W2 Friends, W3 RLCA, W4 Laurel, W5 Cape, W6 open, W7 WB
Sallies- W1 open, W2 Dover, W3 open, W4 Smyrna, W5 open, W6 Central ,W7 open

Here is another question.. How does the point system work with two teams playing each other twice? I assume one of the games don't count?

Here is another question.. How does the point system work with two teams playing each other twice? I assume one of the games don't count?
I looked at the manual on the DIAA website, and there is nothing about playing a team more than once. I know in some of the other sports, if you play an opponent more than twice, you can't receive bonus points for the third or any subsequent game.

The manual also says that if an opponent does not play the minimum number of games (normally 8), a team's win against that opponent will not count. Does that mean Dover, Smyrna and Central could miss out on points with a win over Sallies? Or, if they lose, it will not hurt them in the final point index?

And the message that Sallies is sending is that everyone should be treated fairly. They are a member of DIAA, no matter how much that disgusts some people in this state, and pay the same dues, so they deserve a shot at competing just like everyone else. Do you think they wanted things to get to this?

Reactions: BackinBlack86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT