ADVERTISEMENT

Sussex Central vs Smyrna

sals2011

Special teams standout
Sep 16, 2008
State championship rematch and possibly a few individual championship match ups. The big one obviously will be Natarcola Vs Stratton. We have a few more matches with top 5 wrestlers at 106, 182, and 195.

Crazy week for them. Will definitely help them come tourney time. Hopefully they can get through it injury free

I like smyrna at all 3 weights but they will be competitive matches. 106 natarcola will finally be challenged in state, Ankrom had a big win over wisniewski where he should have gotten a pin. The best match will be Natarcola/Stratton. It could be a toss up but I'll go Natarcola the way he bullied Caruso last match. I know he bumped up a weight but it was still impressive. Then Wuest will do what Wuest does. Cruz may be ranked 4th in state but nobody has been able to challenge Tony in state.

Last edited:
I like smyrna at all 3 weights but they will be competitive matches. 106 natarcola will finally be challenged in state, Ankrom had a big win over wisniewski where he should have gotten a pin. The best match will be Natarcola/Stratton. It could be a toss up but I'll go Natarcola the way he bullied Caruso last match. I know he bumped up a weight but it was still impressive. Then Wuest will do what Wuest does. Cruz may be ranked 4th in state but nobody has been able to challenge Tony in state.
There is no way Natarcola beats Stratton. I think Ankrom and Natarcola is going to be a more competitive match, and closer than people think.

I hope so but I don't see it happening. Are the other wrestlers at 195 that much better than last years?
It's a weak weight class just like last year was. Weakest weight class of all of them. I dont remember hearing about any of the wrestlers in that weight class ever before. It's a shame there isn't anyone able to give Wuest a decent match in state.

Honestly don’t see central getting over 18 points in the dual either if we’re tlking stats Smyrna has the hardest room in the state these are boys who are together every not afraid to go the extra steps to lose tht extra pound no competition for them throughout the state of Delaware

Reactions: proudscfan
Honestly don’t see central getting over 18 points in the dual either if we’re tlking stats Smyrna has the hardest room in the state these are boys who are together every not afraid to go the extra steps to lose tht extra pound no competition for them throughout the state of Delaware
I agree with it not being a very competitive dual i have central winning 4 matches, and only 2 being bonus point victories.. Sals vs Smyrna should be much more entertaining

Reactions: proudscfan
It's a weak weight class just like last year was. Weakest weight class of all of them. I dont remember hearing about any of the wrestlers in that weight class ever before. It's a shame there isn't anyone able to give Wuest a decent match in state.
I think joe natarcola wins vs ankrom but it will be the most competitive match he's had in state this season. At 132 I think it's a low scoring match maybe like 3-2 natarcola

How do you define 195 as the “weakest weight in the state”? I get that Wuest hasn’t been challenged in state, but aside from his only losses to one guy, Beard, he hasn’t had much of any challenges out of state either. If he weren’t in the weight class it would be a very competive one. I’ve been following him since he was a freshman. The #2 ranked kid Wuest pinned twice this year both times first period. My point is if a wrestler is so far ahead of the rest in his weight class, it doesn’t necessarily mean the weight class is weak. Look at the weight classes over the years when they had a superstar in it. Fleetwood, Meade, Thomas, walker, etc. we’re those weight classes considered weak? Just my thoughts

How do you define 195 as the “weakest weight in the state”? I get that Wuest hasn’t been challenged in state, but aside from his only losses to one guy, Beard, he hasn’t had much of any challenges out of state either. If he weren’t in the weight class it would be a very competive one. I’ve been following him since he was a freshman. The #2 ranked kid Wuest pinned twice this year both times first period. My point is if a wrestler is so far ahead of the rest in his weight class, it doesn’t necessarily mean the weight class is weak. Look at the weight classes over the years when they had a superstar in it. Fleetwood, Meade, Thomas, walker, etc. we’re those weight classes considered weak? Just my thoughts
agree with u on tht were just saying do u think the kids he’s wrestling are d1 d2 even d3 wrestlers don’t get it twisted he’s solid can’t wait too see him on tht next level but we’re not gonna brag about a kid who’s hasn’t left the first Period with a kid in state in the state In the past two years I believe he pinned his finals kid last year in second but Delaware isn’t a solid state in wrestling we got solid kids who can beat outta state kids but these kids outta state are on another level of competition thts all we’re saying pretty much like we can’t even get are best kids to place at Fargo I mean even make it out of second third round at beast

Reactions: Fightingbluehen
Weak and competitive really have different meanings. If two kids are at an equal level it should be competitive but they could still be weak wrestlers. Last year a Wilmington Christian kid made it to the finals. Not to knock his accomplishment but the skill level is not where it's at for 195 as it is in other weight classes

Weak and competitive really have different meanings. If two kids are at an equal level it should be competitive but they could still be weak wrestlers. Last year a Wilmington Christian kid made it to the finals. Not to knock his accomplishment but the skill level is not where it's at for 195 as it is in other weight classes

Agreed 100 %. No knock to the kid at all but the past few years, aside from Clavier- there hasn’t really been any “highly talented” wrestlers in his weight class. And it’s not just his, I think the past several years, most of those wt classes from 182, 195, 220 and hvy haven’t been stacked with talent like some of the others (with a few exceptions of course).

Reactions: Takestime
I don't think anyone is hating on Wuest. Im pretty sure everyone realizes he's a great wrestler, you don't finish 2nd at beast on accident. I think people just wish he had more competition.

Every time this topic comes up people think everyone is hating on the kid and that’s simply not the case. Simply pointing out that there is a drop in talent after him in that wt class. But again, that always seems to be the case and hold true for most upper weights

195: Yunior Cruz (SC) over Mason Wilson (SMY) (Dec 13-6)
220: Anthony Wuest (SMY) over Hiram Lasher (SC) (Fall 0:38)
285: Andrew DeBenedictis-Bayne (SMY) over Tyler Karr (SC) (Dec 5-3)
106: Mason Ankrom (SC) over Joseph Natarcola (SMY) (Dec 3-2)
113: Jaxson Al-Chokhachy (SMY) over Cole Jester (SC) (TF 16-0 4:20)
120: Yony Morales (SC) over Easley Pierson (SMY) (Dec 7-3)
126: Junior Perez (SC) over Drew Mayhall (SMY) (Dec 4-1)
132: Rashad Stratton (SC) over Nicholas Natarcola (SMY) (Dec 8-4)
138: Brandon Greenlee (SC) over Gavin Sembly (SMY) (Dec 6-1)
145: Gregory Baum (SMY) over Jaden Savage (SC) (MD 15-7)
152: Drew Morris (SC) over Mike Giampietro (SMY) (MD 11-1)
160: Jack Davis (SMY) over Devin Pearsal (SC) (Dec 4-2)
170: Josh Dailey (SMY) over Tyler Bunting (SC) (Dec 5-3)
182: Michael Wright (SC) over Dakota Kerr (SMY) (Dec 2-1)

I have a strange feeling that these two will see each other again. Looks like there were some great matches!

Wow. A little surprised. Some matches went the other way or were much closer than expected. I'm sure the next meeting will be a great one to watch. Good luck to both teams

There is no way Natarcola beats Stratton. I think Ankrom and Natarcola is going to be a more competitive match, and closer than people think.
You heard it here first!! I'm just saying, I've seen those boys wrestle a couple times this year. I hate to say I told you so, but!

Reactions: spartakos
Looks like it. If there is a second go round with these teams and Moyer in the lineup, I think different outcome.
Hard to say. The four or five Smyrna guys whose names you don't easily recognize wrestled better than I expected given the SC opponents. Those score could be bigger next time.

195: Yunior Cruz (SC) over Mason Wilson (SMY) (Dec 13-6)
220: Anthony Wuest (SMY) over Hiram Lasher (SC) (Fall 0:38)
285: Andrew DeBenedictis-Bayne (SMY) over Tyler Karr (SC) (Dec 5-3)
106: Mason Ankrom (SC) over Joseph Natarcola (SMY) (Dec 3-2)
113: Jaxson Al-Chokhachy (SMY) over Cole Jester (SC) (TF 16-0 4:20)
120: Yony Morales (SC) over Easley Pierson (SMY) (Dec 7-3)
126: Junior Perez (SC) over Drew Mayhall (SMY) (Dec 4-1)
132: Rashad Stratton (SC) over Nicholas Natarcola (SMY) (Dec 8-4)
138: Brandon Greenlee (SC) over Gavin Sembly (SMY) (Dec 6-1)
145: Gregory Baum (SMY) over Jaden Savage (SC) (MD 15-7)
152: Drew Morris (SC) over Mike Giampietro (SMY) (MD 11-1)
160: Jack Davis (SMY) over Devin Pearsal (SC) (Dec 4-2)
170: Josh Dailey (SMY) over Tyler Bunting (SC) (Dec 5-3)
182: Michael Wright (SC) over Dakota Kerr (SMY) (Dec 2-1)
So surprise see smy so weak at 120 & 126

Great match and great atmosphere. Not a bunch of bonus points like what was expected. The match of the night wasn't much of a match. Stratton controlled the match from the beginning and wasn't as close as the score. Hey maybe the score will be different next time, maybe not. Either way........great win for SC tonight. Well deserved.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT