ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts On Reclassified Kids?

Dhodgecuz

Mascot
Sep 28, 2015
What Do You Think About Reclassified Kids?
Almost Every State But DE Reclassifies Kids Even Tho The Average DE Kid Is Already A Year Behind

It's a cult. I think its cheating if the reason for the hold back is not academics or injury, I also think prep school is a better option for kids that need an extra year after high school. But in the end parents are going to do what they feel is best for their kid.

Should Delaware Allow it? It Would Make Delaware Talent Much Better. You Know If You Do It Before You Get Too HS Your McDonald's All American Game Eligible. If You Do It In HS You Can't Play In It. I Think The DIAA Should Consider It To Help The Talent Out So DE Kids Will Stay In DE Because I Personally Know 5 Or More Top 8th Graders Who Plans On Leaving DE

Should Delaware Allow it? It Would Make Delaware Talent Much Better. You Know If You Do It Before You Get Too HS Your McDonald's All American Game Eligible. If You Do It In HS You Can't Play In It. I Think The DIAA Should Consider It To Help The Talent Out So DE Kids Will Stay In DE Because I Personally Know 5 Or More Top 8th Graders Who Plans On Leaving DE
Most kids who reclass end up busting when the other kids reach puberty and catch up physically. Reclassification doesn't make u better hard work does. No short cuts to success. Kids will not advance beyond the company they keep a 16 year old 8th grader who has repeatedly stayed back will not mature beyond his 13-14 year old classmates. The body will never go where the mine has never been. Therefore in my opinion the only way to make delaware basketball better is more time in the gym and for DIAA to change many of its restrictive policies that limit coaches training kids in off-season & kids moving to better schools and programs. Also they need to not penalized kids who decide to leave the state & want to return, especially to a different school. Reclassification is short-term thinking. I don't blame kids and families who get frustrated and leave but I see no point in any kid leaving because AAU controls recruiting now. College coaches only coming to high school games to see a kid they want from the circuit & thats only to show a kid they serious. Other than a kid leaving for personal improvement issues, leaving serves no purpose when u surrounded by very good AAU programs, one being WE R 1 right here in delaware, plus team final and rest right down the highway in Philly. All the exposure one could want on nike, under armour, addidas circuits or a kids can play on local teams that play good tournaments during NCAA recruiting live sessons & finish in Vegas. No need to run around America chasing basketball in the 21st century.

Last edited:
Here's what I would do if I could do it all over again with my kids. Trust me I wish I had some of that money back I wasted on sports. 1. Ignore the hype men selling rankings, camps, & and any exposure nonsense until high school and focus on development. 2. Limit travel basketball to 5-6 tournaments in the summer especially for levels below high school. 3. Learn about recruiting rules & eligibility early, don't get caught up in the reclass, results now hype. 4. Take development slowly, look for improvement year to year, u want kids to peak and be at their best at the high school level because that's when colleges seriously recruit. 5. Always do whats best for your kid, put them in good situation that benefit them and ignore the chatter. Lastly there is lot of bogus trainers running around America these days selling trash they watched of YouTube. Outside of fundamentals, talent, instinct, work ethic, planning, genetics, discipline etc determine results. Run when see them coming. Find a good program that teaches fundamentals.

Look at the top 100 kids in the country 75 of them are reclassified. You saying being in 16 in the 8th grade is terrible. You being a Delawarean should know that the average Delaware kid is 14 going on 15 in the 8th. Delaware already lacks talent. I Coach UA Maryland New World C/O 2020 (8th Grade) and We Have 3 the top 12 8th graders in DE and they are Competitive (Cory Barnes, Jahkeish Demby and Jaysem Vasquez) but I feel like DE kids could use the extra work outside of DE because These Delaware Trainers all teach the most basic stuff. When our Organization holds workouts for all the age groups it's stuff that our 3rd graders are doing that I can probably almost guarantee that MOST of the HS kids can't do. Maybe DE just lacks The help that these kids need

Delaware Kids Lack Talent and Work Ethic besides a handful of them all coming from up North

Are we talking about pre high school kids reclassing/holding back? Or 5th year seniors its two different things.

Yes reclassing pre high school seems to be a thing and can produce kids who turn 19 their Sr year.. Yes some folks do it for athletic advantage more than not its academic or a kid leaving the public school system and going into a private..Many times its the privates ask the kid to repeat 8th asto get acclimated to a stricter environment and tough academic load. Many parents the past ten years or so also hold their kids back from starting kindergarten a year particularly ones with Sept thru Dec birthdays.. But you have to be cognisant of the age cut off for your state.. Delaware has many kids who reclassified this way so the system is not holding them back from doing it. In fact DE age cut off is more liberal than most states as most states its 19 by Sept 1 and DE is mid Summer forget the exact date but DE has has their fair share of 19 yr old SR's

As for the reclassing after starting HS or allowing 5th year Sr's to play no most states don't allow that. MD has the rule where you get 4 yrs and as long as you sit a year you can play as a 5th yr SR providing you don't turn 19 before Sept 1. Really there is no such thing as relassing in HS.. Its just a kid who didn't get enough credits to graduate with his class and has to come back for a 5th year..

But this moot now anyway with the new NCAA rules having to be on track with your core course requirements after your jr(3rd year) and Sr (4th year) otherwise you don't clear the clearing house and you have to take academic redshirt... well most college coaches aren't going to waste a scholly on that so we won't see many kids trying to reclass once starting HS anymore ..

Last edited:
The other thing to consider is in some states you can start school at 4yrs old if you turn 5 by the end of the calendar year. In other states you have to turn 5 by the first day of school. There are parents who correct that situation as well..

Last edited:
No what I'm saying is for the average DE kid
Are we talking about pre high school kids reclassing/holding back? Or 5th year seniors its two different things.

Yes reclassing pre high school seems to be a thing and can produce kids who turn 19 their Sr year.. Yes some folks do it for athletic advantage more than not its academic or a kid leaving the public school system and going into a private..Many times its the privates ask the kid to repeat 8th asto get acclimated to a stricter environment and tough academic load. Many parents the past ten years or so also hold their kids back from starting kindergarten a year particularly ones with Sept thru Dec birthdays.. But you have to be cognisant of the age cut off for your state.. Delaware has many kids who reclassified this way so the system is not holding them back from doing it. In fact DE age cut off is more liberal than most states as most states its 19 by Sept 1 and DE is mid Summer forget the exact date but DE has has their fair share of 19 yr old SR's

As for the reclassing after starting HS or allowing 5th year Sr's to play no most states don't allow that. MD has the rule where you get 4 yrs and as long as you sit a year you can play as a 5th yr SR providing you don't turn 19 before Sept 1. Really there is no such thing as relassing in HS.. Its just a kid who didn't get enough credits to graduate with his class and has to come back for a 5th year..

But this moot now anyway with the new NCAA rules having to be on track with your core course requirements after your jr(3rd year) and Sr (4th year) otherwise you don't clear the clearing house and you have to take academic redshirt... well most college coaches aren't going to waste a scholly on that so we won't see many kids trying to reclass once starting HS anymore ..
I was talking about pre HS

No what I'm saying is for the average DE kid

I was talking about pre HS

I ok then I don't get your point that most states hold back/reclassify kids and DE doesn't.. It's simply is not the case .. DE probably does at the same rate or percentage than other states,, Only other states have a much higher population and some states have a higher concentration of athletes in an area..

So yeah it stands to reason the number of 19 year old rated players will be from states with the huge populations... its just numbers game really.. and quite honestly most blue chippers are genetic lottery winners and it has nothing to do with much other than that,, states with more kids will have more its that simple.. Then you throw in the perception of well this state is better and has more so that is where the recruiters and rankers flock too... its a cycle that way.. And that is why DE kids leave.. not that DE is weak or backwards but to go to a state where the "perception" is better..

But that perception is changing I see many more kids in DE getting real looks in football and basketball than before even going back 4 years ago.. Mostly in northern DE and essentially New Castle County is being viewed as suburb and link between Philly and Baltimore with the same kind of athletes.. Basically the recruiters are cruising I 95/Rte 40 and hitting DE up along the way rather than passing it by

Last edited:
What Do You Think About Reclassified Kids?
Almost Every State But DE Reclassifies Kids Even Tho The Average DE Kid Is Already A Year Behind

I think reclassifying is done to stay ahead of the curve, but the curve that your trying to stay ahead on is an issue. This process is about education.

Is being a 20yr old Jr in college such a bad thing, my son was an 13 yr old eighth grader in 2009 and had members of his team as old as 16. If your son is the correct age for his grade just train him as if he were 16.

Words of Wisdom
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.

http://www.bballspotlight.com/2009/11/diary-of-baller-champ-mosley-delaware.html

MRB44 looks for any opportunity to chest thump the Champ..I guess a dedicated thread isn't enough. He had to take this one as well LOL

Lol.

RR, no chest thumping we both know it takes discipline, determination, and dedication to make it. You can reclass all you want, but you still gotta work.

Don't bring champ in this because I know him personally and he only play when assault was up by in the second half

I hope it all works out for your youngins. But please know it's about the process not the product. If they put the work in on and off the court they can make it.

@RR
I actually thought MRBB was going to have a normal post without pimping his kid...
but then I read on , and low and behold , he has to pimp his kid.... HaaaA
come on MRBB......
Champ a grown man, he can't appreciate pops throwing his name out there like he's playing tee- ball.. quit smothering the grown man!!

Reclassifing is good if u r doing it for the rite reason it's all about maturity kids mature differently some early some late .I notice kids born within the first 3 months of the yr are more mature verse kids at the later months it levels out at the age 18

Bigdaddy94, we all know its about basketball glory, the theory is that it gives kids a physical development advantage to dominate younger kids in that class & make them more attractive to college and/or nba scouts. I have seen it play out for years and it has 0 long term factors. First issue from a training perspective is the body cannot go where the mine has never been. if a mind is trapped in a world of 7th graders and they are 15 and everyone else is 12-13. That kid will think and behave like his peers. The next issue is effort. Being older doesn't necessarily make one stronger or more mature. I've got 18 year olds who cannot do 10 pushs and ten year olds that can bang out 30-50. I've got 13 year olds that act 18 and 18 year olds that act 13. People always make the argument, look at the top players many are reclassified but they never considered why they top players in the first place. These kids from my experience are gym rats. Talented kids that live in the gym, always training or are just simply genetically gifted. Furthermore for a lot of kids their DNA kills them & reclassification will not help if mom is 4'9" & dad is 5'7". Lastly even if a kid gets a physical edge early once other kids hit puberty it's all over & it will balance out. From a recruiting perspective, College coaches don't recruit 6,7,8,9 graders on any serious level. They're always under pressure to win now so those young kids are of no immediate value. To much can happen between 7th grade & fall of junior year in high school. People have to remember this is a marathon not a sprint. You want kids to make gradual improvements every year and be on top of their game for scouts by junior year. Don't believe the social media hype promoted by snake oil salesmen trying to steal your money by getting you to pay for their camps, exposure events or other b.s. Think of how much money is made of tournaments by selling false hope and recycling kids getting them spend 5 years in middle school paying for their events. That's what's happening, people are being exploited for profit.. It's a scam people, There is no shortcut to hard work....

Reactions: spartakos
Here's my advice on how to get kids the money for college & get them performing on a different level than their peers. 1. Hard work and proper training by someone who has played the game, teaches fundamentals and not trying to sell personal agenda b.s.
2. Never play down, always play up. I said earlier the body cannot go where the mind has never been but where the mind goes a trained body will follow. One of the ways I got better was playing against older kids that were better. It's amazing how kids can adjust to the speed of the game and learn faster playing against older smarter faster talent. Every kid cannot do this but those that physicall can will get better. U get better by challenging yourself against better not by picking on younger kids for short-term glory. 3. There is more exposure playing up. College coaches are @ 15-17u events. So if your 8th grader is talented enough and playing on a 15u or 16 team right next to a game where the coaches are watching 17u play they are exposed on a stage where it matters. The hype men would disagree because I'm stealing money back for the parents. But there is no benefit to spending a bunch of money on events without college scouts. 3. If u live in a state that allows younger kids if they are physically mature enough to play at the high school level, put them in a 1-12 grade private school if u can afford it and let them go out for varsity or jv. Typically middle school coaches are terrible, maybe teacher picking up a few bucks, why not expose the kids to better coaches and development at high school level. On the AAU level, College Coaches will take notice to a talented 8th grader on a 15u or 16u team & write their name down as a future prospect. So basically all the money is up not down so why go broke chasing reclass middle school b.s., college coaches don't read those b.s. middle school write-up that parents egos are hooked on like crack or sold to parents by some exposure scam artist.

4. The only time in my opinion to hold a kid back is for academics. Failing kids should not be advanced.

Reactions: spartakos
delaware sportsjunkie I agree the only reason a parent should hold a kid back is because of academics I did that with my son 3rd grade. Not for an advantage athletically because he shined with his class on the court and field .

To each its own.
If reclassing didn't matter or make a difference you all wouldn't be posting/complaining/talking about it..........
And if you have a kid that failed on your team, he's a reclass too.

Reactions: BIGDADDY94
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT