ADVERTISEMENT

Top ten teams next year?

Mind4thegame

Mascot
Dec 31, 2015
I know it's early but with many transfers happening this summer, who do you think are the top teams in the state next year? I saw few teams play in few summer league games thus far and I feel like it is open for anyone to top the defending champ this year. Thoughts...?

1.Salesianum
2.St. Elizabeth
3.St. Georges
4.Sanford
5.Mt. Pleasant
6.Appo
7.Smyrna
8.Newark
9.Glasgow
10.Dover

Last edited:
Cape will be the best team downstate by the end of the season possibly the best team in the state. Cr and Woodbridge will surprise people as well

St Thomas More is top 5 unless they lost somebody by transfer. Also think Hodgson can bounce back..

St Thomas More is top 5 unless they lost somebody by transfer. Also think Hodgson can bounce back..

Did St. Thomas More make a coaching change? They return that entire team from last year that made a run to the quarterfinals & gave St. George's a run for their money. They didn't lose a single game to a downstate team last year. Cape should be very good as well as Woodbridge but my sleeper is CR.

I don't think CR will surprise anyone but I am expecting some noise to be made by Woodbridge. Seems as if they will have a lot of talent, only lacking size. They may be tough to deal with. Cape can be a strong team but I would never give them a possibly best team in the state by years end. That's a stretch. To me St. Georges, mount, and appo have to be in the top 5 with a toss up for the other 2 spots. Probably sallies is right there as well.

The problem with down state teams is the level of comp & talent pool is not good with the exception of the few teams mentioned above. Come tournament time after competing against weak teams all year they travel north only to get smashed. The solution would be to only play the required games against that level of comp, everything else against upstate or out of state teams but many coaches egos cannot handle losing some games to get better.

Reactions: Dropping 3's
Just watch and see Cape will be a contender after they build chemistry. The most talented team in the state for the next two years.

I don't think CR will surprise anyone but I am expecting some noise to be made by Woodbridge. Seems as if they will have a lot of talent, only lacking size. They may be tough to deal with. Cape can be a strong team but I would never give them a possibly best team in the state by years end. That's a stretch. To me St. Georges, mount, and appo have to be in the top 5 with a toss up for the other 2 spots. Probably sallies is right there as well.

No Sanford in your top 5?

Red Lion has a couple of incoming transfers- not sure if they lost anyone- maybe they won't be top-10 but I think they're probably going to make some noise in the coming years.

Cape will be the best team downstate by the end of the season possibly the best team in the state. Cr and Woodbridge will surprise people as well

Cape won't be one of the best teams in the state and possibly down state as well. I say that because they still have the same coach and he won't play his great freshman talent as they should be played. He will play kids who can't even compete with them instead. JoJo should be on varsity as well as Corey and Shaki and I would even say Kris Rushin should be on varsity as well. Based on skills and not his dad being one of the coaches. Re just doesn't know how to cultivate his talent and has stupid beliefs about freshman playing varsity. Which is why Cory and Hassan went to woodbridge.

1. St. Georges
2. St. E
3. Sallies
4. Cape
5. Sanford
6. St. Thomas More
7. Mount
8. Glasgow
9. Newark
10. Woodbridge

Cape has talented freshmen and will be a tough out for next two seasons. Kirby kid is not varsity ready and neither is the Rushin kid. Both need to grow and mature before they are on that level. Had the opportunity to watch Chandler play for 6th man Warriors and he can play. He is a multiple position player and has skills. The Barnes kid could start varsity for any high school in the state.

Woodbridge returns everyone and will be a DEEP team. Question is will they play a schedule that prepares them to cross that canal.

St. Thomas More is a LOAD!!

Cape has talented freshmen and will be a tough out for next two seasons. Kirby kid is not varsity ready and neither is the Rushin kid. Both need to grow and mature before they are on that level. Had the opportunity to watch Chandler play for 6th man Warriors and he can play. He is a multiple position player and has skills. The Barnes kid could start varsity for any high school in the state.

Woodbridge returns everyone and will be a DEEP team. Question is will they play a schedule that prepares them to cross that canal.

St. Thomas More is a LOAD!!

I think Jojo is ready and his motor is the best on the team. He is a very good and willing defender which you need on every level. He can slash with the best of them and he just works which you can't teach. Who else is better than him that should be on Varsity. If you can name 8 players then put him on JV.

Robertson, Rickards, Dadzie, Harden, Piper, Woods, Barnes, Chandler. That's 8.

He can play against kids his age but he is not ready for those bright lights. He is the type of kid that practices with the varsity and you move up at end of season. Let him develop bc he will be needed next year and sitting a varsity bench does him NO GOOD!!

Reactions: jvm3
If I'm not mistaken Kirby played with 6th man as well. Saw limited time bc he was up against some of the best around. He has skills and will develop to be a good player he is just not varsity ready.

Robertson, Rickards, Dadzie, Harden, Piper, Woods, Barnes, Chandler. That's 8.

He can play against kids his age but he is not ready for those bright lights. He is the type of kid that practices with the varsity and you move up at end of season. Let him develop bc he will be needed next year and sitting a varsity bench does him NO GOOD!!

Noah!? Outside of Jerry, Corey, and Shaki who else is a better wing player and also plays defense? I will take JoJo and coach him against them anyday of the week. Like many others I believe you are sleeping on him and his work ethic and skill set. Effort and heart is a skill set that you can't teach.

Jvm3 who's your top 10?

Ok, I'll bite.

Here is who I picked last year:

St. G
Dover
Sallies
Mount
Sanford

Here is who I am picking this year:

Mount
Sallies
St. E
Cape
Sanford

I don't know much about Cape other than what you guys have written. I did see them a few times last year and they were not memorable. Sounds like they could be solid this year. I don't have the history with DE basketball that many of you do and likely relied on some of the back on forth for picks last year. Better knowledge this year but don't know all the rosters. Put Sanford as fifth because you can't count out a Stan Waterman coached team. It seems very wide open. If Mount can develop/replace their outgoing guards they will be very tough.

Last edited:
Looks like a good list to me. I will have to check out a couple more upstate teams before I can make a list

Did St. Thomas More make a coaching change? They return that entire team from last year that made a run to the quarterfinals & gave St. George's a run for their money. They didn't lose a single game to a downstate team last year. Cape should be very good as well as Woodbridge but my sleeper is CR.

No idea if there was a coaching change. I hope not as I thought the coach did a great job the games I saw. If they return team and coach they will tough given run last year.

I agree with other posters about downstate teams and competition. STM and other teams would do well to follow Sanford's lead in scheduling tougher out of state teams.

Ian Robertson 6'6
Randy Rickards 6'5
Noah Piper 6'4
Corey Barnes and Sh'Kai Chandler will be day one starters.

Noah bangs but idk if he should start that will still be a pretty big line up but they need a lot more from randy this year. Hopefully he is in the gym. both weight room and getting up shots and working on his game.

With the news of Cale leaving for the patrick school, I'm taking appo out of my top 5 and 10, sallies and sanford are there. also was told St. Thomas More's big man is out but that source barely holds water so we will see.

Last time i checked.. Re is still the coach at Cape... he has no clue... you can have all the talent in the world.. if you have coach wont play them at the same time its piontless... top 10 yea.. top 5 not even close.. alls it takes is common sense with all that talent.. so please dont hype Cape ul like that... Stan would have them playing fors title..

Reactions: basketball24/7
Should be Randy,Ian,Jerry,Corey,Chandler.. Noah sub for Randy or Ian..Dadiez sub for Jerry,Corey... blend 1 more bench player and they make it at least ro final 4

With the news of Cale leaving for the patrick school, I'm taking appo out of my top 5 and 10, sallies and sanford are there. also was told St. Thomas More's big man is out but that source barely holds water so we will see.

Diamond State Titans (STMA) boys just won the AAU D2 17U Nationals Monday so I don't how much of the rumor is true. If they all return definitely top 5.

Last edited:
Watching Cape from last year and the players they have coming in this year, Cape is definitely a top 10 team. Whether Cape makes a deep run in the tournament is up to the players. I think the X factor for them is the attitude of Randy. He can get 15 pts and 10 rebs easy, but I question is motor. He tends to play down to competetion and take plays off. Another factor is can Barnes lead this team? Barnes is ready for the varsity level. Barnes is expected to contribute right away as the starting point guard, does he embrace the roll or shy away from it. If this team can play to their potential, they can contend for a state championship know matter who is the coach. If not it can be a long season in Lewes, DE.

Starting 5 Prediction:
Barnes, Jerry, Robertson, Piper, Rickards
Haven't been impressed with Chandler, I think Kirby should be on varsity. Great Defender and will provide great minutes off the bench.

I stonn
Watching Cape from last year and the players they have coming in this year, Cape is definitely a top 10 team. Whether Cape makes a deep run in the tournament is up to the players. I think the X factor for them is the attitude of Randy. He can get 15 pts and 10 rebs easy, but I question is motor. He tends to play down to competetion and take plays off. Another factor is can Barnes lead this team? Barnes is ready for the varsity level. Barnes is expected to contribute right away as the starting point guard, does he embrace the roll or shy away from it. If this team can play to their potential, they can contend for a state championship know matter who is the coach. If not it can be a long season in Lewes, DE.

Starting 5 Prediction:
Barnes, Jerry, Robertson, Piper, Rickards
Haven't been impressed with Chandler, I think Kirby should be on varsity. Great Defender and will provide great minutes off the bench.

I think you is wrong about the coaching part.. How can you say its up to the players? If there not in the game playing at the same time together... Coach Re wont start that line up because of his priđe.... watch and see.. its all about coaching.. no other waynea to put it..

Fan - does this source mean he is out as in hurt or out as in transferred? I remember he was a big part of the team. Big loss if he doesn't play...

Reactions: dmoney814
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT