ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers????

Saw it on first state Twitter, but nobody has yet to say who. Don't blame the kids that do. Delaware 30 years behind with the thinking, look at the b.s going on with UD basketball.

Reactions: Dropping 3's
I've heard a few just haven't been confirmed. Pretty confident they are true

Mystery, the only players that can change the landscape would be, Cale, ingraham, Davis, hyland, Cramer, Kent, Rawls, & a few others but those are the top guys now & I have heard nothing yet about any leaving

I'm not surprised. Not only did i tell you folks i showed you folks Delaware has talent parents have to believe and invest in their kids and success shall follow dont settle for local bragging it means esh. DIAA is lost in time.

What is the DIAA doing or what is DE lacking that makes these kids leave? Not enough talent to showcase against? Can't kids showcase for scouts in the offseason?

1. Not implementing a shot clock.
  2. Not raising the allowable number of in season games.
  3. Not allowing instate transfers when kids are stuck with poor schools or coaches who don't care.
  4. Not upgrading referees to keep up with today's game.
  5. Not allowing coaches to work with teams out of season.
Just some background, please read. Not basketball related but I would love to see just an upgrade to a 24 game schedule instead of 30+ games some other states top teams play. Now as I see it; maybe schools are not choosing this route, but our best players will; because the same underlying issues still exist

That's all I have, now let the fireworks begin!

Last edited:
Even if Coaches could coach out season, wouldn't the AAU circuit dominate the kid's time?

Giving coaches more time to work with their teams is a slippery slope. It will definitely benefit the top teams, but it won't help any lower level teams compete.

Definitely need a shot clock at the HS Level.

Are there any examples of kids leaving Delaware and finding more success in being recruited?

I'm sure Delaware being a tax free state (much lower school taxes than say PA?) has an impact on ordering buses, keeping lights on and paying refs for more games.

I think transferring is something that teaches kids poor habits, principals, etc.

Is everyone pushing these kids as hard in the classroom as they are on the court? They aren't all going pro, encouraging them to transfer gives a false sense about their athletic skills being what they need to achieve in life.

Stay, play, get a 4.0 in honors classes, join travel ball and big schools will be lining up for you.

1. Not implementing a shot clock.
  2. Not raising the allowable number of in season games.
  3. Not allowing instate transfers when kids are stuck with poor schools or coaches who don't care.
  4. Not upgrading referees to keep up with today's game.
  5. Not allowing coaches to work with teams out of season.
Just some background, please read. Not basketball related but I would love to see just an upgrade to a 24 game schedule instead of 30+ games some other states top teams play. Now as I see it; maybe schools are not choosing this route, but our best players will; because the same underlying issues still exist

That's all I have, now let the fireworks begin!
Just a few things. First, only 8 states have a shot clock, which is a violation of NFHS rules. Therefore, they are denied a position on the NFHS Rules Committee. Maryland and New York are the closest 2 states that have a clock.

Second, DIAA is not necessarily against raising the number of games teams can play. An AD I talked to said several schools are against this because they would have to pay for buses, referees and other game-day expenses. Many schools do not charge admission. The DIAA is always open to suggestions from its members. The schools drive the policies, not the board.

I would like to see schools allowed to play an in-season tournament that does not count against their 20 games. Slam Dunk, Diamond State, or whatever tournament it is. That would give our athletes a chance to play against some tough regional or national competition as well.

Reactions: Chesdel
DoltWrite: First, I agree with some of your post, except for the fact that 98% of boys varsity games charge admission for example:

Boys Basketball Girls Basketball Wrestling Swimming
Adults
Students Adults Students Adults Students Adults Students
Caesar Rodney $4.00 $4.00 $4.00 $4.00 $4.00 $4.00
Cape Henlopen $4.00 $4.00 $4.00 $4.00 $4.00 $4.00
Delmar $5.00 $5.00 $5.00 $5.00 $5.00 $5.00
Dover $4.00 $3.00 $4.00 $3.00 $4.00 $3.00
Indian River $5.00 $5.00 $5.00 $5.00 $5.00 $5.00
Lake Forest $3.00 $3.00 $3.00 $3.00 $3.00 $3.00 $3.00 $3.00
Laurel $4.00 $3.00 $4.00 $3.00 $4.00 $3.00
Milford $5.00 $2.00 $5.00 $2.00 $5.00 $2.00
Polytech $4.00 $3.00 $4.00 $3.00 $4.00 $3.00
Seaford $4.00 $3.00 $4.00 $3.00 $4.00 $3.00
Smyrna $4.00 $3.00 $4.00 $3.00 $4.00 $3.00
Sussex Central $5.00 $5.00 $5.00 $5.00 $5.00 $5.00
Sussex Tech $5.00 $4.00 $5.00 $4.00 $5.00 $4.00
Woodbridge $4.00 $3.00 $4.00 $3.00 $4.00 $3.00

Maybe one or two very small privates don't.

Second, I amended my third point: 3. Not allowing instate transfers when kids are stuck with poor schools or coaches, AD's and or School Administrators who don't care.

The tournament idea would be a good start.

Last edited:
Changing the transfer rule alone would be a huge step in the right direction. It would place the power in the hands of parents & kids which ultimately would force institutions, coaches etc to do more.

Private schools upstate that don't charge: Tatnall, Friends, Tower Hill, Sanford, Caravel, St Andrews, Red Lion, Wilm Christian. Probably a few others I'm missing.

DoltWrite:
Second, I amended my third point: 3. Not allowing instate transfers when kids are stuck with poor schools or coaches, AD's and or School Administrators who don't care.

The tournament idea would be a good start.

Academics are the main focus of School Admin. Are you suggesting that some kids are being encouraged or made to believe that their participation in HS is a pathway to a career as a pro athlete?

Football and Basketball dominate most public schools socially. Those schools you are referencing can change as soon as all of those parents and kids are ready to lead.

Focus on school work, behavior and attitude then change will come.

Why would a good coach want to go to whatever schools you are talking about?

Stay, excel, create change.

Athletic Directors have difficult jobs, it's not as easy as some think. Take the course, get the cert and apply iF you think you'd be better.

Don't like the refs? Sign up and be one.

Blaming other, pointing fingers and teaching kids to packed it in and move on is hurting kids growth and potential.

To many adults making this stuff about them, making kids believe this is about trophies or whatever.

Build character, learn how to achieve, set goals and work to get them.

You cant force college or pro ball on anyone. The cream rises to the top no matter where you play. If you handle your biz and work hard, the next level will find you.

Private schools upstate that don't charge: Tatnall, Friends, Tower Hill, Sanford, Caravel, St Andrews, Red Lion, Wilm Christian. Probably a few others I'm missing.
Archmere does not charge, and neither does Wilmington Charter, I believe. Some schools charge for boys but not girls. Also, if I remember correctly, the basketball season used to be longer (22-24 games) but was cut by a vote by the membership.

Does anyone really believe Carmelo had to transfer to Oak Hill to find his way to an elite D1 Team? These kids are being manipulated by coaches obsessed with their coaching resume.

Does anyone really believe Carmelo had to transfer to Oak Hill to find his way to an elite D1 Team? These kids are being manipulated by coaches obsessed with their coaching resume.

Nobody has to anymore, recruiting is ruled by the AAU circuit, not high school. From a development perspective the mentality however is that to be the best u must practice with, play with, compete against & be coached by best coaches. Delaware system is heavily stack in favor institutions which benefit the lazy bad coaches & players. Good student Athletes are locked in if they don't transfer after freshmen year. DIAA should adjust this rule and make it a 2 transfer limit for each athlete, that would force the change to a more competitive environment that favors kids and parents. The negative is stacked teams, however this occurs anyway as evident by the history of state championships over the past decade. In the current environment advantage goes to the private & vo tech schools. Private especially, they can have a students from out of state.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simmonj4618
Transfering is unnecessary.

Coach's, Players and Parents should focus on demanding the most out of themselves, their teammates and building something.

Too much quit in everybody today. Don't like things we just quit.

Coach sucks, school sucks, coach isn't nice to me, let's quit and go somewhere else.

It's weak. Weak character. Weak mentoring. Lack of direction and discipline.

I know a coach at a bad school that all of you probably assume "doesn't care," attitudes and behavior are horrible today. Those kids need a private school or promises to make them get their grades straight?

That coach on that bad team is trying to rally them. Trying to get them to commit. But no one is pushing them from the other end. "Can't get a ride coach." "Can't come to work outs coach."

"Coach doesn't know anything" and "coach isn't any good," are statements made by people that don't have it. They don't have what it takes, they aren't tough enough mentally or physically and they want to blame the coach.

Name one "bad coach" that doesn't care.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chesdel
D1 talent jumps off the screen at you. It is obvious and if you think just because a kid is playing in Delaware it will be missed, you are mistaken. That is what AAU ball is all about. IF a kid gets a free ride to a prep school, it is worth it for him to leave Delaware and pursue the higher level of competition. The transfer rule is there to keep ambitious coaches from doing stupid things. You're right, the kids don't have the power. That is kind of how school works. To re-work the entire system, to benefit a few talented players is folly. Since the advent of video, I have never heard of a player not getting a chance because nobody saw him play. This is how coaches make their bones, they come to places like Delaware and find the diamond in the rough.

Schools are in the education business and as an extension, coaches are really teachers. The focus should be getting kids prepared for life after high school either higher education, a trade or military service. Part of this process is using athletics to teach all aspects that go along with being on a team to reach this goal. If a kid can get to college using his athletic skills then HS should be preparing him/her academically for that. Simple?

If a school cannot or will not, why can’t he/she pursue other options that will allow them to achieve their goals. Here are some of the things that make me wonder about some of the motives of some posters:

1) Why kids who have marginally poor academic track records allowed to start the season but somehow get kicked off midway through the season? No need to mention schools or players we all know who they are.

2) Why do schools continue to higher incompetent coaches and administrators or coaches who do not develop kids or teach fundamentals just like in English and math?

3) Why charge for games or payoffs, treat them like any extracurricular activity.

I tell all my parents do the best for your kids, always, no matter what, if that’s moving schools so be it. If it getting them in the right AAU program and it not the one the HS coach or his teammates are affiliated with so be it.

I not saying some parents aren't clueless or some athletics focus on the wrong things but I assuming most of the transfer in question are moving to better situations for both academic and athletic reasons.

Schools are in the education business and as an extension, coaches are really teachers. The focus should be getting kids prepared for life after high school either higher education, a trade or military service. Part of this process is using athletics to teach all aspects that go along with being on a team to reach this goal. If a kid can get to college using his athletic skills then HS should be preparing him/her academically for that. Simple?

If a school cannot or will not, why can’t he/she pursue other options that will allow them to achieve their goals. Here are some of the things that make me wonder about some of the motives of some posters:

1) Why kids who have marginally poor academic track records allowed to start the season but somehow get kicked off midway through the season? No need to mention schools or players we all know who they are.

2) Why do schools continue to higher incompetent coaches and administrators or coaches who do not develop kids or teach fundamentals just like in English and math?

3) Why charge for games or payoffs, treat them like any extracurricular activity.

I tell all my parents do the best for your kids, always, no matter what, if that’s moving schools so be it. If it getting them in the right AAU program and it not the one the HS coach or his teammates are affiliated with so be it.

I not saying some parents aren't clueless or some athletics focus on the wrong things but I assuming most of the transfer in question are moving to better situations for both academic and athletic reasons.

1. It is a shame that this happens, that is poor administration.

2. Not all schools hire bad coaches, but the coach they hire should be best for the school/program. Not an individual student. The band director is not hired to teach the best trumpet player, they are hired to make the band the best it can be. Hence the team aspect.

3. The reason this happens is simple. Football and basketball support all the other sports. The money goes to the athletic department to fund transportation to students in all sports. This is done to comply with tittle IX requirements.

The job of the PUBLIC school is to educate students in the basic educational requirements as required under Delaware code. Anything more than that is gravy.

Keep hearing this. If you're going to throw this charge out there, provide some examples.

Honor, Commitment, Teamwork, putting others before yourself to achieve a common goal, helping those who cannot help themselves.. all things completely lost on this generation. All things HS sports is supposed to teach (particularly team sports) and the reason the proponents of HS sports use to validate the funding of them..... well if these life lessons aren't happening then there is no reason for the school system and tax payers to fund it.. Let AAU or whatever private organization fund chasing hoop dreams

Well they better hope they get an "employable" degree or make the pros and last long enough not to be broke in 5 years because they aren't going to make it in the real world and they certainly would not make it in any of the armed services.... Hate to say it but Generation X raised some entitled self serving offspring.. The future of this country is not bright

Last edited:
Transfering is unnecessary.
Too much quit in everybody today. Don't like things we just quit.
Coach sucks, school sucks, coach isn't nice to me, let's quit and go somewhere else.
It's weak. Weak character. Weak mentoring. Lack of direction and discipline.

NPOA

Last edited:
Blame adults. Kids do what adult cosign on. This moral utopia u guys speak of was destroyed by greed & selfishness of Coaches only concerned with their personal achievements and parents buying into the be my kids friend liberal mentality of the day. AAU became king because of the failures of adults on the local level, not kids. I alway cringe when I hear some high paid sport s personality get on their high horse about academic failures and misconduct with the youth but they never target those profiting. I say hold adults accountable and u will see major improvement with the kids. Start Firing coach, ad's, university presidents etc & things will change, but it is so much easier to condemn the kids, especially black ones.

Do a survey to see how many coaches check grades or conduct study hall & I can bet u only a handful. They will say, not my job, got my own kids to raise. I say u lazy. It takes a village. Leave coaching, teaching, training alone if u have this mentality.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
junkie, Good observations. Baylor just canned their President and FB coach in an effort to change the culture not only of the athletic programs but the entire university community.

As far as understanding the attitudes of kids especially of different races.....I have seen the "my coach sucks" thing in baseball where everybody was white. Many kids are all stars in little league and then they get cut from St. Marks or Sallies. A lot of these kids and their parents blame the coaches.

Last edited:
That's true, they do say that but there attitude or sucess and failure in baseball is never linked with how they will fair in life as an adult. And the actions of individuals never demonize all kids, read the baseball, lacross blogs. Nothing wrong with Kids dreaming to be in the nba, nfl, mlb etc. What's wrong is kids being allowed by adults to get away with not working hard academically. In my house U can have all the hoop dreams u want as long as you producing good grades.

You cant throw it all on the parents.. media , society drives much of it as well. But at some point the kids have their own minds and make decisions. The whole parent guilt thing needs to end.. You can be the best parent in the world and the kids still may decide to make bad decisions .It happens all the time..

As for sports my son always worked hard and at one time chased playing in college.(come to find out it was driven because he thought that was what I wanted). but one day his SR year he came to me and laid it out that he had other plans and it didn't include playing college football... That day in my mind he became a man and I support him wholeheartedly to chase "HIS" goals.. I couldn't be prouder of him.. Sure I had to deal with the fact I would no longer be able to watch him play which was something I really enjoyed but today I have a much larger sense of pride and much more than sports can provide... point being parents need to chill and the kids will do great things if given the freedom and leash to do so

Last edited:
The job of the PUBLIC school is to educate students in the basic educational requirements as required under Delaware code. Anything more than that is gravy.

This attitude is just what we are talking about you are the poster boy for why change we've be fine the way things have always be done good ole boys mentality. Sorry to say but the bare minimum might get you to Del Tech then maybe to a four year mid tier school. But it would not get you to any P5 schools or even a Patriot League level school if the students so desired.

So if by you own admission publics are only required to do the minimum by law and not push kids to achieve the maximum potential if so desired. Then why are you against transfers for any reason at any grade so parents/students can achieve their goals? Your true colors are showing.

Last edited:
This attitude is just what we are talking about you are the poster boy for why change we've be fine the way things have always be done good ole boys mentality. Sorry to say but the bare minimum might get you to Del Tech then a to a four year mid tier school. But it would not get you to any P5 schools or even a Patriot League level school if the students so desired.

So if by you own admission publics are only required to do the minimum by law and not push kids to achieve the maximum potential if so desired? Then why are you against transfers for any reason at any grade to meet there goals? Your true colors are showing.

Allot of what you are saying is the parents job and the kids themselves to be accountable and take charge of their own future.. Teachers and Coaches can only do so much... They have many kids to teach the game or teach the subject.. They are not responsible for your kids success,, You are and more so the kids once in HS are responsible for themselves.. You only can teach how to be successful but it always includes "you" doing it.... they cant make you or make it happen for you

This attitude is just what we are talking about you are the poster boy for why change we've be fine the way things have always be done good ole boys mentality. Sorry to say but the bare minimum might get you to Del Tech then maybe to a four year mid tier school. But it would not get you to any P5 schools or even a Patriot League level school if the students so desired.

So if by you own admission publics are only required to do the minimum by law and not push kids to achieve the maximum potential if so desired. Then why are you against transfers for any reason at any grade so parents/students can achieve their goals? Your true colors are showing.

I'm not against transfers in the least, a student can transfer anywhere they want to in seeking better education. My point being, that it is about education. If the student is transferring because they don't like a coach, that is fine too. They can sit out a year and play the following season. If and when the DIAA change their position on this issue, I would consider it a poor choice. However, I would respect the fact that this is the by-law of that organization. If I felt strongly enough about it, I would seek change.

Again, it is about educating an entire school, developing a team, not just a few kids that don't like a coach.There are good coaches and bad coaches up and down the state, the good ones stick around and the bad ones go away. Sometimes not as quickly as some individuals would like, but they all eventually are asked to leave. I have been lucky enough to get to know a great many coaches in Milford and a few at Lake Forest. While some have been great and others not so much, every one of them considered themselves educators first, coaches second.

Maybe I wasn't quite clear. Every school has the sole legal requirement to get the student to achieve the academic progress to complete graduation. The fact that wonderful academic challenges such as AP courses and extra curricula activities exist are great. But at the end of the day, it is up to the student as to what they gain out of high school. It is the effort and work habits that they develop during these years, that will shape their future.

If the above thoughts are what you meant about my true colors showing, then you are correct.

Never see education discussed on the baseball, soccer, lacross boards. Why basketball? What's unique about basketball board, what's different. Its assumed that black athletes only have these one dimensional minds and cannot be great student athletes. When anyone in basketball challenge the rules, the topic changes & it becomes about something else to maintain order. Suppress any challenges, disqualify the validity of any attempt to question the status quo. This is why I don't blame kids & families for packing up and leaving. The place is ass backwards. Here is the reality Sanford a great academic school won state this year. Sallies will probably own the state in bball for the next 3. These are 2 very good academic schools so academics is not the issue. The reality is, its poor academics & environment that force parents of talented kids to seek private schools in the first place. Waterman, Haley & Myers are 3 of the top H.S. bball coaches in the state. 3 private schools. Perhaps they should take sports out of public schools because I cannot see a future of them winning anything.

Never see education discussed on the baseball, soccer, lacross boards. Why basketball? What's unique about basketball board, what's different. Its assumed that black athletes only have these one dimensional minds and cannot be great student athletes. When anyone in basketball challenge the rules, the topic changes & it becomes about something else to maintain order. Suppress any challenges, disqualify the validity of any attempt to question the status quo. This is why I don't blame kids & families for packing up and leaving. The place is ass backwards. Here is the reality Sanford a great academic school won state this year. Sallies will probably own the state in bball for the next 3. These are 2 very good academic schools so academics is not the issue. The reality is, its poor academics & environment that force parents of talented kids to seek private schools in the first place. Waterman, Haley & Myers are 3 of the top H.S. bball coaches in the state. 3 private schools. Perhaps they should take sports out of public schools because I cannot see a future of them winning anything.
I can't begin to tell you how many times education has been discussed on other boards, especially the football board. I for one am not trying to suppress anything, I enjoy and value the opinions of others. To me that is what the forums are about.The topic hasn't changed, it's about the transfer rule. People are offering their opinions on it as well as ramifications with regards to change. As for taking sports out of public schools, why not? Maybe we could take the money saved an offer better academic opportunities to those schools presently under served.

Perhaps they should take sports out of public schools because I cannot see a future of them winning anything.

Yes, because clearly nothing can be learned from participation in sports unless you're winning. I mean, that is the goal of high school sports programs, right? Oh wait.

Reactions: jvm3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT