ADVERTISEMENT

Young coaches

Did laurel even try to get him in? I haven't heard a word about it from anyone.
Yes, we just got word from our AD that Handy is still out based solely on the referee's written report. A report on which the official lied and said he issued a warning. I was mat side and can say with a certainty he did not. I asked Cape's coach if he ever saw a warning and he agreed that it never happened. I invite you to find the match on 302sports and watch to see if the official ever addressed Handy in any way prior to the first penalty. Something has to be done about officials with rabbit ears making bad calls then fabricating a new sequence of events while filing their reports to save face.

"Overreach", not at all. You never reflect with regret from high school?! Now imagine working hard yowards a goal and having someone take it away for no valid reason. But hey, you might be perferct.
I'm far from perfect. I understand reflection on high school years as we all do it. Wish we had a moment or two back. But scarred? No. Well maybe the 4in scar in the middle of my knee my senior year, taking my college athletics away. It was difficult but you just deal with it. I understand your passion for sure. Life can be difficult at times. The young man will have a chance at states. Even if he didn't, it wouldn't scar him. Life moves on and it will for him too. I wish him the best of luck this weekend and am glad he is able to participate

Yes, we just got word from our AD that Handy is still out based solely on the referee's written report. A report on which the official lied and said he issued a warning. I was mat side and can say with a certainty he did not. I asked Cape's coach if he ever saw a warning and he agreed that it never happened. I invite you to find the match on 302sports and watch to see if the official ever addressed Handy in any way prior to the first penalty. Something has to be done about officials with rabbit ears making bad calls then fabricating a new sequence of events while filing their reports to save face.
Wow!! What does this really teach these young men!! Or how about what it teaches the refs!! Some get overturned and some are respected!! Not right in any way!!

Who didn't see this happening? it's not what you know.....

Does anyone know why on Saturday evening it had neither wrestler as the fifth place finisher and now moyer is fifth. Did he appeal?

Reactions: HandlinMyBiz
What I do know is if both of wrestlers kept their mouths closed and displayed sportsmanship, there would be no controversy. That being said, I said somewhere else, that if they were disqualified then they both should be out. Consequences It has all turned into a mess. This situation could have been avoided with athletes behaving

What I do know is if both of wrestlers kept their mouths closed and displayed sportsmanship, there would be no controversy. That being said, I said somewhere else, that if they were disqualified then they both should be out. Consequences It has all turned into a mess. This situation could have been avoided with athletes behaving
I agree with you ethically. I also know that, if we start ejecting athletes for muttering an expletive when they miss a block, or catch an elbow going up for a rebound, or trip over a hurdle, or, yes, when they are going for a throw and trip, most events would have to be canceled due to programs not being able to field teams.

So as of now the only thing that I know is that Kyle Mayo at 138 and Kevin Winton at 126 for MTP is in! What is yet to be confirmed is will the pigtail be a one and some are will the loser be able to wrestle back. I talked to someone and they said that the brackets could not be reseeded but “we” can try to make this right!
I agree DIAA made a mistake by not initially putting Mayo in the tourney for Passwaters but now putting him in will definitely be unfair to someone one way or another. If he pigtails against the 16 seed not necessarily unfair to the 16 because Latch is definitely a tougher opponent to go up against first round anyway and if the won the still gotta go up against Latch. But for Latch it’s probably the most unfair in preliminaries going up against a “17 seed” that would obviously of been seeded higher to begin with. Latch shouldn’t have any problems anyway and I’m sure it won’t change anything on the right side of the bracket but the committee made a mistake by not putting Mayo in it from the beginning

Part of the state tournament is knowing who your potential opponents are and preparing for them. I received word from committee members that Moyer will have to forfeit his first match. Yet, he is appealing that verdict. I have no word yet on whether that appeal has went through but I promise you I would like to know asap. It is no secret who I am on this board and if he is wrestling it is something I would like to know so my wrestler can prepare properly. So if they make a decision, I would like them to make it sooner then later. I guess we will prepare for him regardless considering all of the mess that has went on so far.

Reactions: sportsguy725
@GorillaDE I understand what you are saying but just with my opinion, I do hold wrestlers to a higher standard then other sports.

And when I played football, language was a zero tolerance policy. I honestly never heard it when I played, and If I did, refs would issue one warning and then a penalty and then ejection.

I am sure if this was your kid in the situation you would be saying that he got slighted. To say someone should've eased-up because they almost had a major, you obviously have never wrestled or competed. Your talk is very arrogant and uneducated, stay on the sidelines and watching your kid! The wrestling mat is a battleground, and you're on it to win. Although I would not like to see someone get hurt or return to the mat in that manner it's not as though he kicked, punched or did something intentionally to hurt the other wrestler. The worst part about this is they've scarred this boy for life because of politics! And he has no chance that it again because he is a senior. "DON'T SPEED DOWN THE HIGHWAY!" (Really) lmao!!

No I would not think he got slighted. We just wouldn't go, simple as that... this is not some "OMG it is his senior year whatever will he do" thing to us, we could care less. Sorry, there are more important things in life than wrestling. My kid quit the beginning of this year and only came back to the team for his teammates. And bottom line, I love the line I read on this thread, "it was only an illegal move because his arm was trapped".... again, illegal. Whatever...

Oh and I also LOVE the comment about somebody asking me "who am I speaking to"... can you not read? I don't hide my name, it is right under all my comments. Stupid is as stupid does.

@Primo-Fam I enjoy our talks so don't think I'm coming at you. Just clarifying the rule. This rule has been changed each year for the past 2 years. It is a new rule that they have tweaked them last 2 seasons. You used to be able to trap the arm and bring the wrestler to the mat. Then the changed it to saying if the arm is tucked and you go to lifet, then they will call potential danger . Then I believe they changed it again saying that they would not call potential danger but rather you must be extra careful bringing the wrestler to the mat when the arm is tucked. It has been a PIA rule the past few seasons as it keeps changing.

@GorillaDE I understand what you are saying but just with my opinion, I do hold wrestlers to a higher standard then other sports.

And when I played football, language was a zero tolerance policy. I honestly never heard it when I played, and If I did, refs would issue one warning and then a penalty and then ejection.
Showing your age, LOL. It was like that when I played in the 80's too.

It's not the 80's, no matter how much I wish it were.

Reactions: AllHeart28
@Primo-Fam I enjoy our talks so don't think I'm coming at you. Just clarifying the rule. This rule has been changed each year for the past 2 years. It is a new rule that they have tweaked them last 2 seasons. You used to be able to trap the arm and bring the wrestler to the mat. Then the changed it to saying if the arm is tucked and you go to lifet, then they will call potential danger . Then I believe they changed it again saying that they would not call potential danger but rather you must be extra careful bringing the wrestler to the mat when the arm is tucked. It has been a PIA rule the past few seasons as it keeps changing.

I get that the kid may have not know it was an "illegal" move but bottom line, was he not up by almost a major with close to 1 minute left? Why even attempt it? And yeah, I get it... his Senior year, last change, but really? If wrestling was so important to this kid where has he been the last 3 off seasons when Team DE was in need for wrestlers to field a full team?

My kid wrestles year round... maybe the difference is that he does it for fun. Ask anybody who has seen him grow over the years and they will tell you this... but if for some reason he didn't make Conferences or States, it would not be the end of the world to him. Guess I just can't relate...

Reactions: ElbowsInAlwaysWin
I agree with you ethically. I also know that, if we start ejecting athletes for muttering an expletive when they miss a block, or catch an elbow going up for a rebound, or trip over a hurdle, or, yes, when they are going for a throw and trip, most events would have to be canceled due to programs not being able to field teams.
Very true.

Primo I take it you didn't see the match or the tape of the match. It was basically an attempt to escape on bottom and an immediate return to the mat. Not a case of trying to attempt anything.
Team Delaware takes time, money and parental commitment as you know. Not everyone invests time and money to travel up and down the State.
My son wrestled for years, practiced with Team Delaware, Williamson Trade school, The Renegades, many nights in the Smyrna and Middletown gym, we wrestled everywhere every weekend, on and off season.
To some it's just something to do others it's the only thing they want to achieve is being a State Champ and possibly a College Wrestling Scholarship.
So I can understand it may be no big deal to some but others it may not be the case.
Just another point of view.

I agree DIAA made a mistake by not initially putting Mayo in the tourney for Passwaters but now putting him in will definitely be unfair to someone one way or another. If he pigtails against the 16 seed not necessarily unfair to the 16 because Latch is definitely a tougher opponent to go up against first round anyway and if the won the still gotta go up against Latch. But for Latch it’s probably the most unfair in preliminaries going up against a “17 seed” that would obviously of been seeded higher to begin with. Latch shouldn’t have any problems anyway and I’m sure it won’t change anything on the right side of the bracket but the committee made a mistake by not putting Mayo in it from the beginning
I’m defin waiting to see how this pans out.

Reactions: sportsguy725
No I did not see the match... but I can say early on in my kid's wrestling he did some bad things not necessarily knowing or trying to do so. Boy had a temper and when things didn't go his way or if somebody did him dirty, he did not hesitate to respond. And when he got penalized, he had to suck it up. And this was at the age of 8. I guess I am old school... take the punishment and move on.

And realistically, sports scholarships are not handed out to State Qualifiers. D1 schools are really the only ones who can hand out full sport scholarships. You can maybe get a food card from a D3 and possibly a small scholarship from a D2 that will pay for your books and labs... but without placing in consecutive years or making the podium at NHSCA, yeah well... that ain't happening.

I agree with your thoughts on scholarships. A Delaware placer will get zero attention. NHSCA, Fargo, Disney duals on the other hand certainly will. I wasn't talking about any particular kid this year just pointing out some kids just do it to be in a sport and others have significantly higher goals.

Reactions: anon_2etc7zewo6e8d
I agree with your thoughts on scholarships. A Delaware placer will get zero attention. NHSCA, Fargo, Disney duals on the other hand certainly will. I wasn't talking about any particular kid this year just pointing out some kids just do it to be in a sport and others have significantly higher goals.

I guess I just have one of the wrestlers who wrestles just for fun (and if you ask him he'll tell you, well I'm just not good at anything else, LOL). He quit wrestling and ROTC earlier this year but I told him he had to stay committed to at least one due to college applications. He chose wrestling because of his teammates.

He has had success as a wrestler so I can't say much about those who may have not had the opportunities. Maybe he could have had so much more potential if I had held him back like some do... but that would have been ironic since he skipped a grade!

I say good luck to all the wrestlers this weekend... but most of all ~ have fun!

Reactions: wtc76
I've seen DE kids getting offers only wrestling in season, but it is oh so RARE.

And those rare instances was because they were champions as 9th or 10th graders or were beating those nationally ranked wrestlers (who did the off-season wrestling) that were in DE high schools. That is mainly how they made a name for themselves nationally. This was 90s and early mid 00s though. I haven't seen it in the past 10 to 12 years.

Just a shout out to the senior wrestlers who still have hope.....

Jordan Burroughs was only a 1 time state champion with 0 Division 1 offers during his senior year wrestling season. It wasn't until he went to Senior Nationals and won the whole thing until he was offered his scholarship to Nebraska. Keep pushing forward and don't get down! One of the greatest wrestlers of all time only won a state championship once and ZERO colleges wanted him. Perseverance ladies and gents.

I've seen DE kids getting offers only wrestling in season, but it is oh so RARE.

And those rare instances was because they were champions as 9th or 10th graders or were beating those nationally ranked wrestlers (who did the off-season wrestling) that were in DE high schools. That is mainly how they made a name for themselves nationally. This was 90s and early mid 00s though. I haven't seen it in the past 10 to 12 years.

Just a shout out to the senior wrestlers who still have hope.....

Jordan Burroughs was only a 1 time state champion with 0 Division 1 offers during his senior year wrestling season. It wasn't until he went to Senior Nationals and won the whole thing until he was offered his scholarship to Nebraska. Keep pushing forward and don't get down! One of the greatest wrestlers of all time only won a state championship once and ZERO colleges wanted him. Perseverance ladies and gents.
Well said

They changed it because this was becoming an issue during overtime ride outs, a guy would stand- the top guy would trap the arm and lift and the whistle would blow-restart. No stall call.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT