ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Saturday scores

Broadcast made it sound like Milford offense lacked some major organization and discipline. Congrats to Delmar.
Both teams looked like they knew what the other was running before the snap and both had crazy penalties. More drama in this game then he first. Felt like the first was a choke job by MT

Both teams looked like they knew what the other was running before the snap and both had crazy penalties. More drama in this game then he first. Felt like the first was a choke job by MT
MT didn't choke. They got beat by a better (at least equal) team. Before the WP game, MT seemed invincible. Folks were flocking to the bandwagon and placing their bets. I believed they peaked early and Smyrna caught up. And since I have the mike, let me say one more thing. If some of you stop disrespecting Smyrna every year like the previous year was merely a fluke, they might not be able to use your doubt as fuel. You keep poking the dog on the porch and act surprised when you get bit. Even when Smyrna was defending champion with Hendo, Knight and Brown, it was easier to accept that they would lose to MT than to acknowledge that Smyrna was a legitimately strong team. "Smyrna can't win with Will Knight alone" it was said this year. That might be true but the team believed in each other and the coaches. And as corny as it may seem, they believed that as long as they had Will Knight on the field, they always had a chance. That belief was even more powerful than the reality. It made them run faster, block stronger and execute sharper than if they thought their individual efforts were in vain. Lastly, I hope more athletes appreciate that a little humility can go a long way. And scene. Dropping the...I mean, humbly placing the microphone back on the stand. :)

Caravel would have smoked both these teams
Caravel, on a given day, could have beaten any team in the D2 tourney. However, 7 of the 8 teams that made it could also beat Caravel. Bottom line - Caravel was not there, so how about we congratulate the teams that won today and give props to all the kids on all 4 teams for great efforts!,

MT didn't choke. They got beat by a better (at least equal) team. Before the WP game, MT seemed invincible. Folks were flocking to the bandwagon and placing their bets. I believed they peaked early and Smyrna caught up. And since I have the mike, let me say one more thing. If some of you stop disrespecting Smyrna every year like the previous year was merely a fluke, they might not be able to use your doubt as fuel. You keep poking the dog on the porch and act surprised when you get bit. Even when Smyrna was defending champion with Hendo, Knight and Brown, it was easier to accept that they would lose to MT than to acknowledge that Smyrna was a legitimately strong team. "Smyrna can't win with Will Knight alone" it was said this year. That might be true but the team believed in each other and the coaches. And as corny as it may seem, they believed that as long as they had Will Knight on the field, they always had a chance. That belief was even more powerful than the reality. It made them run faster, block stronger and execute sharper than if they thought their individual efforts were in vain. Lastly, I hope more athletes appreciate that a little humility can go a long way. And scene. Dropping the...I mean, humbly placing the microphone back on the stand. :)

Smyrna has a great coach. Maybe the best in the state. They had a huge d-line in '15 with D1 QB and Knight, '16 they had 3, count them 3 D1's in Brown, Hendo, and 25. 2017 was the Smyrna Knights show all year. Though I appreciate your whole sappy "Mighty Ducks we shall overcome post" lets hold the "Smyrna is the greatest football team in the state of Delaware history" award till next year and see how they do without their studs. I'm calling it now, they go 6-4 regular season and barely make the playoffs.

Smyrna has a great coach. Maybe the best in the state. They had a huge d-line in '15 with D1 QB and Knight, '16 they had 3, count them 3 D1's in Brown, Hendo, and 25. 2017 was the Smyrna Knights show all year. Though I appreciate your whole sappy "Mighty Ducks we shall overcome post" lets hold the "Smyrna is the greatest football team in the state of Delaware history" award till next year and see how they do without their studs. I'm calling it now, they go 6-4 regular season and barely make the playoffs.

They may struggle a bit for a year or two but there are two more Knights on their way up from middle school in the next couple years....not sure they’ll ever be what their brother was but if they are half that then the rest of the state is in trouble

I never have and never will say that Smyrna is the greatest ever. Not even in my mind. And I know they had a special group of kids over these past few years. Next year will be a challenge, and thing go in cycles, etc. But the SYSTEM persists, and the molding of young men is so much more important than rings. There are kids going to college, having confidence in their future whether going to college or working on a farm, there'e is a community that embraces the kids. It goes on and on. Its' a shame that not only did you miss much in what I wrote, but that you also added a subtext that wasn't even there. I am the biggest supporter AND critic of Smyrna. SO if you want sap, I suggest you look somewhere else...perhaps Vermont. Besides, it's wrestling season now.

Last edited:
You really should just concentrate on coaching.
You honestly have no idea what’s going on I have established that now. If you were at this game you should have seen the problem. If you did not see it let me explain.

First both defensive coordinators were locked in. All year My team Has been watching Milford games because part of our job this year was evaluating all Bowman’s snaps. Since the season is over I can say this. This gives me more insight into Milford then others.

This game was close for one reason. Milford’s Defenseive line dominated the line of scrimmage. One kid in particular. On the flip side of this the same can be said for Delmar who also dominated Milfords line of scrimmage.

Neither team could run their offensive effectively because of this. Both teams struggle on the offensiveline. There teams are made up of many exceptionally talented skills kids. This weakness usually does not show up when playing teams with average or equally talented defensive lines. This game clearly it showed up for both of them.

Both teams had to go to the air and even then the QBs had 2 seconds to get rid of the ball. The game was one broken play after another. If you like defensiveline play then this game was fun to watch. Other then the one big option play for denard , and the two hail Merry passes thrown up by Milford QB as he was being hit the game was just ruined By dline play. It did look like Keysotne cops out there at times like RR said. Big penalties also played a roll for Delmar moving the ball. Milford seemed to commit more errors then they normally do.

No matter what level of play you watch this happens at times. Look no further then the Patriots NYG Super Bowl. It does not take away the fact that there are some exceptionally tallented kids at the skill spots on Milford and Delmar. It’s a team game and even in HS those guys can’t do it by them selves.

Great game to watch. I enjoyed my time in Delaware hopefully next year we will be back. There is a lot of under exposed talent in the state. Someone or some school needs to step up and establish a power house private school like the original concept of ESA, but obviously done correctly. This would raise the recruiting profile for the entire state. You would not have your 4 and 5 star kids going to Philadelphia, and Baltimore. That’s a sore subject for you guys being burned with the last attempted. But it’s the way of the future, love it or hate it. Cool board also, one of the most entertaining. Most are full of spam advertising.

Prep this might be the most educated post on here to date! Ravens is obviously a hater of D2, enough said. Anybody with a football IQ would realize these 2 teams have already played and know how to stop each other, so it was probably going to be a defensive battle. If you say you have watched Milford all year, then you know that they have had basically little passing game. The fact that they moved the ball in the air was impressive and they did not just hand the ball up the middle to Bowman like the first time. At the same time, they controlled Parker and truly stopped Dennard for all but 1 play. Now on Delmar's side, their D line and linebackers controlled the game. Phillips is a heck of a presence in the middle and he was a difference maker. Truthfully Parker might be a better OLB than FB, because of his speed off the edge as well.

I think you have to credit both teams and coaching staffs. 35-10, 4 weeks ago and now a 14-7 game with 0 points in the second half? How is that considered a boring game? I'm sorry, watching Smryna run the earthquake package 10 plus times a game is super exciting?!?

Now lets also look at numbers, according to the DOE website. Smryna has over 1400 kids, Middletown has about 1500, Milford has just under 1000 and Delmar is under 700. From what I've heard, Smryna has the luxury of guys playing solely offense and defense. Delmar and Milford probably have 8-9 guys that never come off the field. This means, they have to focus on offense/defense during practice. Where as Smryna, those kids can focus on offense for 2 hours and others defense for 2 hours. That must be AWESOME, because I can guarantee no team in D2 can do that. So instead of calling D2 a JV game, how about lets give credit where credit is due.

Congrats coaches and players of Delmar and Milford for great seasons and making it to the state championship and a bigger congratulations to Delmar for winning the game!

Prep this might be the most educated post on here to date! Ravens is obviously a hater of D2, enough said. Anybody with a football IQ would realize these 2 teams have already played and know how to stop each other, so it was probably going to be a defensive battle. If you say you have watched Milford all year, then you know that they have had basically little passing game. The fact that they moved the ball in the air was impressive and they did not just hand the ball up the middle to Bowman like the first time. At the same time, they controlled Parker and truly stopped Dennard for all but 1 play. Now on Delmar's side, their D line and linebackers controlled the game. Phillips is a heck of a presence in the middle and he was a difference maker. Truthfully Parker might be a better OLB than FB, because of his speed off the edge as well.

I think you have to credit both teams and coaching staffs. 35-10, 4 weeks ago and now a 14-7 game with 0 points in the second half? How is that considered a boring game? I'm sorry, watching Smryna run the earthquake package 10 plus times a game is super exciting?!?

Now lets also look at numbers, according to the DOE website. Smryna has over 1400 kids, Middletown has about 1500, Milford has just under 1000 and Delmar is under 700. From what I've heard, Smryna has the luxury of guys playing solely offense and defense. Delmar and Milford probably have 8-9 guys that never come off the field. This means, they have to focus on offense/defense during practice. Where as Smryna, those kids can focus on offense for 2 hours and others defense for 2 hours. That must be AWESOME, because I can guarantee no team in D2 can do that. So instead of calling D2 a JV game, how about lets give credit where credit is due.

Congrats coaches and players of Delmar and Milford for great seasons and making it to the state championship and a bigger congratulations to Delmar for winning the game!
Very good post!!

Prep... what are you talking about!!!! How does me saying "That's how you should play Delmar. I said it last two weeks and again today. Good team. Solid players but not impressed by all the hype"

Have to do with me not knowing what is going on and all that you typed. I agree with you on most of what you typed. I believe the QBs had more than 2 secs however but because that is not something they are use to doing they need 4-5 seconds to get rid of the ball and it wasn't broken play after broken play but good team defense to where neither team could sustain a long drive and outside of 3-4 no big plays given up but not utter DL dominance.

bbmvp.. I believe this is what the Milford coach was referring to about the first game should have went differently. This is probably how he envision the game going outside of them losing and that was because of not covering the pitch man on the long option TD and the PA throwback right before half. 2 mental mistakes 2 TDs.

bbmvp.. I believe this is what the Milford coach was referring to about the first game should have went differently. This is probably how he envision the game going outside of them losing and that was because of not covering the pitch man on the long option TD and the PA throwback right before half. 2 mental mistakes 2 TDs.
Yeah, that second one was brutal. Half the secondary was in man, the other was in cover 4, not the way to defend that play :)

First time I saw them use that play all year. First pass for Van Arx in a month. The planets and the stars aligned at that moment.

First time I saw them use that play all year. First pass for Van Arx in a month. The planets and the stars aligned at that moment.
Actually I think they may have ran it against Milford the first time, but it didn't go for a touchdown.

RR....I'm good. It was great game. There really wasn't a dirty game, Both teams kept the penalties to a minimum compared to what they both usually get.

Knight is one hell of a player, and I said pregame if Smyrna won it would have been on his shoulders. I don't like Wilson, never did, and to be honest, Wilson being in was costing Smyrna points and yards. As soon as he fumbled and it got ran back you never Saw him again.

I think if they left him on the bench they could have gone undefeated. However, it was a great game, and I can't speak for everyone else but there was nothing to hang your head about. Both teams was straight battling. It was a treat to watch one last Knight versus Whitehead game. It would be a shame if Knight pulls his Verbal and goes out of state. UD could really use him on offense.

But I'll end it with Congrats to Smyrna!

So I guess them doing the exact same thing last year meant Nolan couldn't play either???Clearly the game plan both years was Will Knight and their oline being more dominant than Middletown's dline..two games were pretty identical in how they used the quarterback and how they ran earthquake with a Will and Leddie for most of the game last year. Nolan spent most of the game on the sideline last year as well. Think he threw 3 passes. You guys are so critical of the wilson kid smh - Congrats to him and to smyrna for winning the chip.

Reactions: APboy
Smyrna's coaching staff does what's in the best interest to get the W.. regardless of what the people in the stands think. Kudos to them for sticking to a script that's netted 3 straight championships... pretty sure Henderson and Wilson were happy to have had small roles in the championship game and won then to have had bigger individual stats and lost

Reactions: youjustme
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT