ADVERTISEMENT

Early Pre-Season Girls Basketball top 5 to 10

Nightrain44

Mascot
Nov 7, 2011
Unfortunately I don’t know enough about many of the girls hoop teams out of the potential top 5, but would a few who do be willing to take a stab at an early pre-season ranking along with a short blurb on the status of each team (key graduated players, key returning players, sleepers including rising freshman and sophomores, transfers, coaching, etc).

Congrats and good luck to those graduated seniors playing at the next level this upcoming season and to the programs in DE striving to put the state more on the radar.

1. Conrad - returns every starter from the championship team. Unless disaster strikes, they're repeating.
2. Sanford - They return much of the same crew from last year, will give Conrad a test.
3. St. E - Have one of the state's best up and coming talents in Ber'Nyah Ward-Mayo, need to replace Alexis Lee down low
4. Howard - Ronnasia Blatch-Huggins is one of the top players in the state and has a good backcourt to work with. Curtis Clack is an excellent coach also.
5. Ursuline - they lose a lot, but they still have a lot and an outstanding coaching staff
6. Caravel - Losing the title game in heartbreaking fashion will be sufficient motivation for them
7. CR - Kylie Kornegay-Lucas makes them go and she's a potential POY if you ask me. Gotta have more scoring to make it to the Final Four though
8. Archmere - Dan Pisani is a great coach with a lot of scrappy girls, don't underestimate Archmere
9. Hodgson - returns the same two powerhouse guards, but Flight A's gonna be a little tougher this year
10. Appo - Davis and Clark are good enough to win a lot of games on their own, but so are Hodgson's guards.

Last edited:
Sorry Hodgson does not return with the same two guards. one guard transferred to California for her last year

1. Conrad- Will be at the top of everyone's list this year. And should return back the chip. They didn’t lose much that they used. They have size, guard play, but getting them to use there depth will be a problem for most teams in the state. Repeating should not be a problem.
  2. Sanford- They are a complicated team. Every year i hear the coach is on the hot seat because that school demands results. But he is back. For the last two years there has been a rumor that Samantha Pollich is not playing each year. And then she plays. There other big tore her ACL mid way through the season last year. And should ready to play by mid-season this year. This is the only team that can compete with Conrad with their size and that guard play competition.
  3. St. Elizabeth- The one girls show of Ber’Nyah Ward-Mayo will need help if they want to get past the top two team. They lost size and third guard that gave ball handling relief for her. But this team is still better than a lot of teams.
  4. Caravel- They lost so much veteran leadership with graduation, along with size and scoring. But they have a 10th grade transfer CR Jada McCullough that will help with some of those issues. They too are still better than a lot of teams.
  5. St. Thomas More- They played with 6 players last year. And the big was injured. She is returning but they lost their point guard to graduation. They are still strong and young. They are now battle tested to make a deeper run in the tournament.
  6. Ursuline- NO Maggie, but they are still coached by John Noonan. Not sure of any new impactful freshman coming in. But they still have some pieces to compete. Not sure if winning the chip will happen. But they keep a strong schedule that will have them battle tested.
  7. Howard- They have another guard Nyla White from A.I. DuPont that has transferred in. she will give them a young strong third guard that will have them a lot faster than before. Their size is gone which leaves Blatch-Huggins to man the inside a little. Well at least on defense.
  8. Padua- Wow what a difference a year makes. This team looked like they could not compete with some of the high echelon teams. There some pieces missing but there are lot more determined and I don’t want to say coaching was the issue, but they change coaches and they finished almost top ten this past year.
  9. Archmere- A structure scrappy bunch that is continuing to improve each year. There not a championship team. But there schedule and style of play will have them in the top ten by seasons end.
  10. Hodgson- The best one two punch in the state just took a hit for the upcoming season. One them transferred and took her talents to California. There is still some pieces there and based on their schedule to finish in the top ten by seasons end. Look for Braxton- young to have her scoring numbers to go up. But if some of the pieces make an impact you could see them finish in the elite 8 depending where their seeded.

Other teams to watch for: Appo, St. Georges, CR, Sussex Tech, Wilmington Christian, Mount Pleasant

Last edited:
Perkins-Jackson left? Wow.

yeah they thought it would be best for her to leave and hopefully get a better look for her future. She has been going out there for the last year or two in the summer and the choice was made to keep her out there for her senior year. We will see how she does. i wish her the best.

It's just an early hunch, but if Ursuline's kids grow up quickly and McCullough gives Caravel a boost as expected, that'll change in short order.

1. Conrad - returns every starter from the championship team. Unless disaster strikes, they're repeating.
2. Sanford - They return much of the same crew from last year, will give Conrad a test.
3. St. E - Have one of the state's best up and coming talents in Ber'Nyah Ward-Mayo, need to replace Alexis Lee down low
4. Howard - Ronnasia Blatch-Huggins is one of the top players in the state and has a good backcourt to work with. Curtis Clack is an excellent coach also.
5. Ursuline - they lose a lot, but they still have a lot and an outstanding coaching staff
6. Caravel - Losing the title game in heartbreaking fashion will be sufficient motivation for them
7. CR - Kylie Kornegay-Lucas makes them go and she's a potential POY if you ask me. Gotta have more scoring to make it to the Final Four though
8. Archmere - Dan Pisani is a great coach with a lot of scrappy girls, don't underestimate Archmere
9. Hodgson - returns the same two powerhouse guards, but Flight A's gonna be a little tougher this year
10. Appo - Davis and Clark are good enough to win a lot of games on their own, but so are Hodgson's guards.

Kylie Kornegay Lucas is no longer at CR- She transferred to National Powerhouse New Hope Academy out of Maryland.

Reactions: Sports_Fan72
Kylie Kornegay Lucas is no longer at CR- She transferred to National Powerhouse New Hope Academy out of Maryland.
Heard about that. I wish her well. She’s a very good player and I’m sure will have many offers on the table if not already coming off this past AAU season.

Reactions: 84rider
That's awesome, congrats to her.

Olivia Tucker also committed to St. Bonaventure yesterday.

Congrats to O.T.....I don't know her or her family personally but they all seem committed which played a major role in this opportunity.

Gate, thanks for sharing. I love to hear about accomplishments especially here in our seldomly over-looked state. To all.....keep it coming with news on any others players whether offers and/or commitments.

It's a verbal commit from what I understand so that could change, but yes, I think she would do really well at Bucknell.

Gate,
It's hard to say yet but of course everyone is probably expecting the same "top teams" to actually compete for that championship. Has anyone heard of confirmed newcomers since school started who could potentially provide major contributions to a team's success this season?

So we're within a week of the 1st day of practice. Any recent news in the world of DE high school girls basketball? Any nice matchups (scrimmages and/or games) to check out between now and the new year?

St. E hosts Wilmington Christian in a scrimmage on 11/17
CR and St. Georges scrimmage on the 19th
Caravel has a play day on the 20th
Sanford has a play day on the 23rd

CR will have a rough year with Jayda playing at Caravel and Kylie playing for New Hope, there’s not a whole lot left...I am excited to see what the new head coach will do in the next two to three years. I don’t think we will be a top 3 team in the Henlopen north.

Guard play and an all-state wing. St. E still needs someone to tag team with Fatty, I guess we'll find out who that is once the season starts. Not counting Ursuline out, but they could end up on a wrong side of a bracket and see Sanford/Conrad before they want to.

Yes I know it’s early in the season but Cape has a great young core that played well in scrimmages vs upstate teams ( minus Sanford ) and Friday night vs Smyrna starting 2 6ft+ legitimate freshmen scorers , 2 Jrs one a extremely fundamentally sound transfer center and another a now 3yr starting PG and a 3yr starting senior. The bench is 3-4 girls solid in size and scoring. Gonna say they could win 12 games and a 1st rd game potentially this year. Coach Pat Woods was a great hire for the program!

Reactions: 84rider

Good Report. St. E's has a sleeper who I believe could make St. E's a contender: Julie McCarron. If the coaching strategy remains the same as in the past, she will remain asleep. If the team is allowed to play with more than one main player, watch out for this one. Potential to be a real stud.

1. Conrad
  2. Sanford
  3. St. Elizabeth
  4. Caravel
  5. St. Thomas More
  6. Ursuline
  7. Howard
  8. Padua
  9. Archmere
  10. Hodgson
Other teams to watch for: Appo, St. Georges, CR, Sussex Tech, Wilmington Christian, Mount Pleasant

This is the most accurate pre-season ranking so far after week 1. Don't know what Brad Myers and the News Journal are smoking, no team down state has a chance against upstate teams this year except St. Thomas More.

Your right we will see if Poly is real against STMA in a couple of weeks. I just saw Caravel lost to an out of state team, also I'm looking forward to see Howard vs Hodgson to see if Howard is who they say they are.

Sanford will soon travel to Arizona to play the number 13 ranked team in the country New Hope .. if they pull this off Sanford might end up being ranked in the country

Sanford had a nice win at the She Got Game this past weekend. Nice thing about the SGG is Delaware played well and won games. Proof that you don't have to leave the state to play and be seen.

Your right the class of 19' has more talent from top to bottom in a long time. They don't have the national star power like ED but are deep with girls who been major players since freshman.

Sanford will soon travel to Arizona to play the number 13 ranked team in the country New Hope .. if they pull this off Sanford might end up being ranked in the country

New Hope Academy over Sanford 64-43, still think Sanford is the favorite and will win ship over Conrad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT