ADVERTISEMENT

ECA

Lazertron

moving up to Varsity
Jan 18, 2014
Has anyone heard about any negative goings-on at ECA? Someone I trust informed me that the kids have not had any classes, online or otherwise, since the school year started. He also said that a number of players have departed since the season began. I know most don't care and probably won't bat an eye if ECA goes under, but there are a lot of good kids there.

The only thing I know is the OC/ COO of the school and his wife the Headmaster both left for other jobs over the summer.. Their website hasn't been updated since the Summer.. I guess if you connect those dots somethings going on but not sure what.. plenty of rumors about closing are out there though .. who knows?

I've heard similar things. There was an ECA kid shadowing at StEs the other day. Apparently parents pulled him out because they've done nothing academic all all year

wow... I did hear over the summer that their online learning provider dropped them after last year.. I blew it off as rumor but it has legs now..

I truly hope much of all this is rumor and not fact.. If it turns out these kids and families are getting strung along just to play a football schedule and fold and no intention of actually having school this year I will be really pissed off.... and if it is true and they dont have school this year what effect does that have on the teams that played them? did those teams play an unsanctioned game and have to face penalties with their associations?

This cant be true LOL its nuts

Last edited:
Reactions: Jawnsky
I know of two kids who transferred in at William Penn a D back and a wide receiver from ECA probably going to be more if Penn keeps this winning streak up.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
What a shame. Hopefully the kids can recover and enjoy their high school life in a normal and healthy setting, away from a self serving egomaniac

A few weeks ago I posted that I have been hearing bad things about Sills' business practices for years. I have never heard his side of the stories but there are several small contractors who claim he dealt with them unfairly and took their money. Some pretty big players say the same thing. It is possible if these things are true and you connect the dots a lot of the football facilities "he" built at RCA were done with other people's money.

This ran in the NJ a few weeks ago...http://www.delawareonline.com/story...ill-pay-rocks-rolling-stone-balloon/73042504/

I want to put it this way. If these kids are allowed to play in the DIAA, with no valid transcript for the current school year, we now have a way around the academic requirements. Kid not smart enough to make it through the mid-term marking period? Just hold him out of school until it passes, then enroll him. Presto, you are now eligible.

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for the kids. But if they haven't been going to class, why should they be allowed to play? They knew they weren't getting instruction, their parents should have known. Why should some kid who did things the right way, who followed the rules, be forced to give up one minute of playing time?

Wowzers!

So is Eric Day still at ECA or not???

No.. he left over the summer and is back working with the camera/software company and his wife who was the Principle of ECA left and took a teaching job in Harford County.. They didn't bring in a new OC instead they made Coach "Boom" Purnell the OC nor did they rehire any of the positions the Days vacated

diaa spent some time at last mtg on eca closing

parents made the choice to go there-must follow rules

I don't think anyone would disagree, this hurts the kids more than anything, hopefully all ends as well as possible for all of them.

diaa spent some time at last mtg on eca closing

parents made the choice to go there-must follow rules

The DIAA rules clearly state if a transfer occurs as a result of the sending school closing the student is eligible.. its an exception to the transfer rules.. but again with DIAA there is the gray areas.. The rules state you can't play for two teams in one season in another transfer rule .. The rules also are written for transfers between DIAA schools.. These kids will be transferring from out of state.. BUT DIAA has the catch all that if its determined the transfer was for "athletic purpose"

All in all I think the kids can play due to sending school closing ... "IF" that is the case

BUT if its true none of the kids have taken any classes this year and with the first 1 quarter coming to a close .. they will essentially have zeros and will be academically ineligible once first quarter grades come out

Last edited:
BUT if its true none of the kids have taken any classes this year and with the first 1 quarter coming to a close .. they will essentially have zeros and will be academically ineligible once first quarter grades come out

I really hope this isn't the case. A lot of people thought this would end poorly, but I don't believe anyone thought it might end this badly.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
Another thought as it pertains to Delaware resident kids... If they arent attending class are they not considered truant and academically ineligible? again if these rumor are true

I really hope this isn't the case. A lot of people thought this would end poorly, but I don't believe anyone thought it might end this badly.

There is enough hear say to say at the very least the kids arent taking classes... if so they are truant are they not? I would think someone from the program or in the know would have jumped on this thread to debunk the rumors... that has not happened

They should be ineligible to play this year,, solely because they are truant,, BUT next year they are good to go... The kids that transfered early and can get the grades to be eligible after 1sr quarter should be good to go It really come down to grades after the 1st qurter.. They can transfer per rule but there are no grades... The receiving school wil give grades and most will be incomplete..

Ikey .. I agree,,,this is criminal... now I am hearing the parents knew and some went along with it... as far as I am concerned any kid that left prior too this is ok to play anyone who stayed and played for ECA sits...

Last edited:
You know, we have talked about this before. I understand why you want to get your kid national exposure. But there are lots of better ways then to dump money into what is basically a travel football program. Find the right school for your kid, take them to camps/clinics. Trust me, if your kids have the tools they will get plenty of offers.

Rumors aside ECA is done according to one of their more prominent posters on the National forum... which most of us expected... but to try and play a schedule VS HS Teams with no school is abhor able... wtf are those guys thinking? and the parents as well as I am hearing the parents knew and went along with it... The kids that transferred prior fine.. anyone trying to jump ship now,, you sit

Last edited:
Rumors aside ECA is done... which most of us expected... but to try and play a schedule VS HS Teams with no school is abhor able... wtf are those guys thinking? and the parents as well as I am hearing the parents knew and went along with it... The kids that transferred prior fine.. anyone trying to jump ship now,, you sit

When you say transferred prior, prior to what?? We just finished the 5th week of football. Aren't schools responsible for putting together an official roster, or can you just add players whenever you want??

I think everybody saw this coming. With the word out I wonder if they will even finish their schedule? How will the MPSSAA handle this?

Reactions: spartakos
I just checked on Max Preps and they just played last week......???
Next game isn't scheduled until 10/31

The story is they owe bills to their online schooling provider... and they were cut off after last year until the bill is paid.. The parents were made aware and they were having meetings to try and come up with some ways to raise the funds... They finally threw in the towel on the school.. not sure if they are going to try and play anymore games on their schedule but it would be pretty stupid on their part not to get their kids enrolled somewhere else ASAP

Where were their priorities? You would think the Online schooling provider would be the first bill you make sure gets paid.. They had money to rent out a camp site in Texas for three weeks to play 3 games in Texas but you can't pay the Connections bill. makes no sense..

Last edited:
The story is they owe bills to their online schooling provider.. big bills.. and they were cut off after last year until the bill is paid.. The parents were made aware and they were having meetings to try and come up with some ways to raise the funds... They finally threw in the towel on the school.. not sure if they are going to try and play anymore games on their schedule but it would be pretty stupid on their part not to get their kids enrolled somewhere else ASAP

Where were their priorities? You would think the Online schooling provider would be the first bill you make sure gets paid.. They had money to rent out a camp site in Texas for three weeks to play 3 games in Texas but you can't pay the Connections bill. makes no sense..

RR..this is so sad its almost funny but its not. I consider you and 2-3 other sources that are still in the program etc as the go to guys for info. Like I had prev mentioned, I had heard bad things but did not see any upside to come on here and start a whirlwind. What a F'ng mess!

Jawnsky I wouldn't be a guy for info on them... I hear things now and then when I run into folks who used to be involved but I dont have any conversations with parents or folks currently involved.. I get most my info from the various forums and connect the dots.. like when the Days left the school I knew that was the beginning of the end..

sills sills sills
his kid gone from eca...do u think he cares??? it was always about his son and nothing else...red lion eca etc all about his kid

skipster

In HS you can just add anytime... they just can't play until the required practice time is achieved.. Not sure how DIAA is viewing playing for ECA per the practice time... It seems DIAA has allowed some kids to play.. I am not sure if DIAA made that decision based on ECA closing and was not aware the kids havent taken any school this year or not

Its a convoluted mess... might be best just let the kids play and 1st quarter grades will be what the will be.. the kids that crack down and get caught up will pass and play the ones that don't will be academic ineligble

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT