ADVERTISEMENT

From the Blind Side

Cav Charlie,u have inspired thought on my part,from class of 69 to class of 75,six New Castle co products in NFL, was there a year when all six were in league @ same time?(Tim Wilson,DeLaWarr,Houstn Oilers;Kevin Reilly.Salesianum,Phila Eagles,Randy White,McKean,Dallas Cowboys;Joe Campbell,Salesianum,Saints/Raiders,Anthony Anderson,McKean,Pittsburgh Steelers,Steve Watson,St Marks,Denver Broncos)

Charlie:

I was relaxing on a Saturday afternoon in 1990 at the late Jim Campbell's (Doc Campbell) house reviewing
The Sals - Middletown history with Bill Billings. He told me that Kevin Reilly was the best high school football
player he had ever seen. He then reviewed in detail a series of plays Reiily had made in the '67 game -
Reilly's JR year. It was 23 years after the game and he remembered every detail of that win by the Sals.

He was still a little chippy that the Sals scored on the last play of the game in their '68 victory at Middletown.
( I believe that the Sals won 32-16.)

His comment on the 3 straight MDT wins over the Sals from 69 - 71 was "we got 'em good."

Ches

Someone left the "BARNYARD" door open

Wesley Athletics
November 16, 2013

DOVER, Del. ? Jamar Baynard rushed for a career-high 123 yards and a touchdown on just 13 carries as the No. 15 Wesley College football team ran past Alfred State, 47-0, on Saturday afternoon at Scott D. Miller Stadium. The Wolverines, who accumulated a season-high 324 yards on the ground in their regular season finale, improve to 8-2 overall while the Pioneers fall to 4-6.

Wesley ran the ball 49 times on the day with four of its six touchdowns coming on the ground by four different ball carriers. Rick Jackson scampered for 55 yards on just four carries to finish second on the team. Seniors Jeremiah Howe and Eugene Byrd, as well as sophomore Kenneth Virden also found the endzone via the handoff.

With so much offensive success in the run game, the Wolverines threw the ball just 17 times with Joe Callahan completing 8-of-16 for 160 yards and two touchdowns to freshman Bryce Shade and sophomore Kyle George. Steve Koudossou had a team-high 50 receiving yards, becoming just the eighth Wesley player to go over 2,000 career receiving yards (2,047).

The Wolverines took a 7-0 lead just 2:52 into the game as Callahan found George in the endzone from 19 yards out. After forcing a Pioneers punt, Howe took a fly sweep 42 yards for a score, as he touched the ball twice on the day for 75 total yards.

A 25-yard field goal by Jon Storck midway through the third increased the advantage to 17 points before Callahan hit Shade from 20 yards out to make the halftime score, 23-0.

Baynard, Byrd and Virden all ran for scores in the second half which also included a 26-yard field goal by freshman Adam Szczerba.

Defensively, Sosthene Kapepula tallied a team-high ten tackles with 2.0 TFLs while Derrick Bender, Joe Brown, Jordan Wescott and Payton Rose all credited with five tackles. Joe Lane forced and recovered a fumble while De'Vaughn Trader picked off a pass. Also making an impact late in the game was freshman linebacker Ben Robinson with a pair of stops.

Wesley will have to wait until Sunday, November 17, to hear if it made the NCAA Playoffs for the ninth-straight season. The Selection Show can be watched live on NCAA.com at 6 pm.

Congratulations to Sam Miller
MHS Class of 1972

University of Delaware 2013 Athletic Hall of Fame Inductee

On Friday, November 15, the University of Delaware honored former football standout Sam Miller. Miller was one of 10 outstanding athletes inducted into the University of Delaware's Athletics Hall of Fame in a private ceremony and reception for family and friends.

Called, "One of the most dominating defensive linemen in University of Delaware football history," Miller was an All-American defensive end for the Blue Hens in the mid 70's and led the squad to two NCAA Tournament appearances as a three-year starter. He earned All-East honors three straight years and remains the only down lineman in UD history to lead the squad in tackles for an entire season.

But before arriving at UD, Sam was a star at Middletown High. He earned All-American notice four times, including first team honors from the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) in 1975, third team honors from the Associated Press in 1974 and 1975, and CoSIDA Academic All-American honors in 1973.

9b1a68c8341d9676a6934b8d_280x168.jpg

Note: Sam's sister is Debbie Heverin who is celebrating her 32nd year as a teacher at Everett Meredith Middle School and his mother, Charlotte Miller, taught physical education at Louis L. Redding Middle for more than 20 years. Niece Wendy Coryell is a teacher at Middletown High.

This post was edited on 11/17 6:27 AM by cavaliercharlie

Sometimes I have to remind myself that during the tourney there are 7 on the field crew not counting the 3 on the chain gang. Then you have a gazillion years of committee experience roaming the perimeter.

That is a lot of eyeballs out there. They bring their A game and so should you.

I think we need to focus on the pounds per square inch gauge @ ambient of the Vapor One before toe meets leather.

So, you want more playing time? Well played WILLIAMSON MEN!

Williamson Athletic News

mcgilloway-elais.jpg

Freshman Codi Elias and Senior Brian McGilloway were named All USCAA 2nd team

McGilloway and Elias Named to All USCAA Football team

Football - Mon, Nov. 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Despite being one of the smallest colleges in the nation to field a collegiate level football program, the play of several of Williamson's players caught the eyes of the nation. On Monday the United States Collegiate Athletic Association announced its 2013 All USCAA football team and on that list were 2 Williamson standouts. Named as part of the 2nd team were Williamson players Codi Elias. In doing so, they become the first players in Williamson history to be named to a national level post-season team.

A senior linebacker and team captain, McGilloway (Philadelphia/Archbishop Ryan) was named a 1st team pre-season USCAA All-American candidate by USA College Football. He more than lived up to that hype until a serious foot injury ended his career just 5 games into the season. Prior to his injury, he was leading Williamson in just about every major defensive category.
He ended up with 43 tackles (8.3/game), including 5.5 for loss. He also had 1 sack, an interception, 2 hurries and a forced fumble.

In addition to defense, he also saw time on offense where he was 2nd on the team in rushing while adding a rushing TD. He was a 1st team All-Seaboard Conference selection in 2012 and will surely repeat that honor once again when the team in announced in early December.

Elias (Middletown, DE/ Appoquinimink) was Mr. Everything for Williamson in 2013. He burst onto the national scene with his play on both sides of the ball-as well as special teams.

A wide receiver on offense, he led Williamson in receptions with 24 (3.4 per game) despite being guarded closely by opponents. He averaged 16.6 yards per catch and added 2 receiving touchdown. He also ran the ball 7 times-one of which resulted in a TD.

As a "shutdown" cornerback on defense, he added 15 tackles, including 3 for loss. He also had a sack, 3 pass break-ups, a forced fumble and 2 interception returns-one of which he returned 53 yards for a touchdown.

On special teams, he also did it all as he returned 17 kicks for 295 yards (17.4) 3 punts for 15 yards (5.0) and also punted the ball 4 times for 106 yards (26.7).

As far as all-purpose yards go, Elias led the Mechanics with an average of 112.4 yards per game. He also led the team in scoring with 26 points.

"I'm proud of all our players." commented Williamson head coach Dan Drake. "I'm especially thrilled for both Brian and Codi. Both guys really deserve this fine honor."

Athletic Director Dale Plummer concurred.

"Both student-athletes are not only outstanding players but also outstanding young men. For a student body of fewer than 250 to have 2 of our players to be recognized as some of the top players in the country on a national level is a tremendous credit to them as well as their teammates and our coaches. We could not be happier for them."

Despite just one win in 2013, Drake is honored to know the eyes of the nation noticed the hard work by his players.

"I'm honored for the guys and for Williamson that despite our small numbers people noticed the effort by our guys. We had several other guys who could be on that team as well. We will hope for even more to gain that honor next year," closed Drake.

Congratulations for the outstanding performance! Sallies was the better Team this year, the Team that went the distance.

Bravo! The QB managed a great game.
You have made your Sals fans proud.

A couple of blind side observations:

Big game hunting in Africa does the body good.
Goose n Go will beat you every time.
You look your best when you wear your true school colors.

Charlie: Breakfast on me at the Chesdel..some Saturday or Sunday before Christmas.

FB is a game of "ifs"......the Cavs were a couple of plays away from winning by 14 but they lose by 16. It was the Sals night. 2 very good teams and fans from both sides should be proud. Last years Cavs are my frame of reference for all future DE HS FB teams when assessing dominance. Ches

@ Ches
Just put a new inspection sticker on and realized I did 38000 miles and never left the state. This week I will be recharging, this weekend I'll be celebrating with my grandson on his MOT Redskins Championship. We like to breakdown film and see what we can improve on for next year. Usually, we do not get past the stop taking plays off speech. On the beat the Sals time line, we expect that to be out of their system by nine years of age.

Since 1986, 27 years later and still have family involved with the MOT program, I think their on to something here and it just might work out.

Speaking of working out, I like to walk the talk. I suggest we do a talk and walk at the Village Gym or any place that would be convenient for you the following weekend. Hopefully, BT will make a guest appearance. This way we do not sabotage his routine that he has been working hard on.

Charlie; re the Williamson Connection. Did they used to be called Williamson Trade School? If so, I believe that the Sals played them a couple of games in the sixties. Ches or BT might confirm this. Also re the long Sal/MT history I vividly recall the 1972 game at MT where Mark McLane was held to less than 100 yards on about 20 carries. They really keyed on him and I believe it was the only time all that year that he failed to gain 100 yards in a game. That game had another irony. The Tournament Selection Committee put them again in a rematch exactly one week later.

@dovetail (very good handle for a carpenter), let me take a moment and put on my awareness hat.

The WILLIAMSON Free School Of Mechanical Trades prepares deserving young men to be useful and respected members of society. To accomplish the mission, Williamson gratuitously provides students with academic, trade, technical, moral and religious education, and a living environment based on the Judeo-Christian perspective that fosters the values of faith, integrity, diligence, excellence, and service. Williamson, which was founded by Isaiah V. Williamson in 1888, has the reputation of being the finest post-secondary trade school in the nation.

Welcome to America's premier college of the trades! 1888-2013 (125 years).

Part of what makes Williamson unique is its commitment to intercollegiate athletics. Athletics helps develop strong bodies, but more importantly, it complements the development of character traits so important to our mission and the future of our students. The life lessons taught by competing in a team sport like football are the very same ones we hope to teach in all our academic coursework, student life programs and trade instruction. Win, lose, or draw, we expect to all be uplifted by the competition. Enjoy today's activities and your time at Williamson! Go Mechanics! (A message from President Michael J. Rounds).

The fact that Williamson has been able to field a football team for 113 years now and continues to do so certainly is something that goes beyond words. With a student body of 261, often facing teams that are 10 or even 20 times larger than us, we constantly face an uphill struggle. Throw in the fact that many schools have budgets far greater than anything we could imagine and it is easy to see why Williamson is more often than not a huge underdog.

Despite regularly being outmanned, the thing that separates Williamson from its competition is heart. Williamson men never let the odds dictate their situation. Despite the odds being against them, Williamson football players are known for playing their hearts out for the entire 60 minutes of each and every game. That was the case with the first Williamson football team back in 1900 and it will be the case with our 2014 team as well. Our guys might not be the biggest, fastest or strongest but no one will play with more heart and pride than they will.

As you can imagine, being the smallest school in the nation to field a collegiate level football team leads to numerous challenges. Playing with the smallest roster in modern day history provides an even bigger challenge in 2014. Despite those facts, everyone associated with the program has been working hard to lay the foundation for a successful season and we are hopeful for good results on the field in 2014.

Williamson (1-8) vs. Salesianum

1926 7-0 L
1928 2-0 L
1930 32-0 L
1965 12-0 L
1966 18-7 W
1967 34-7 L
1968 40-12 L
1969 45-6 L
1970 33-13 L

Interesting stuff Charlie. I had no idea they played so often. I vaguely remember a WDEL broadcast of a game by Bill Pfeiffer. I thought it was a one and done like so many of the Sals opponents today. Pfeiffer remarked that a number of the Williamson players in the game were over 20 years old. BTW, my hobby is building reproduction furniture and the "dovetail" joint is one I use quite a bit.

Originally posted by cavaliercharlie:
@ Ches

Speaking of working out, I like to walk the talk. I suggest we do a talk and walk at the Village Gym or any place that would be convenient for you the following weekend. Hopefully, BT will make a guest appearance. This way we do not sabotage his routine that he has been working hard on.
I've just been catching up on your always interesting thread. If a time works for everyone, I'd like to meet you. This Saturday I'm booked but I'm pretty open other than that.

Regarding Goldhat's comment about Sallies people still talking about the Joe Todd play - it is true. Somebody brought it up during both games this season.

If you really want to meet at a gym, I can do that. I also can do the Chesdel Diner or any other place.

A lot of POY/D/O talk...I think we will see CO- awards with this years great harvest. On the outside looking in, I think it would be good for DEHSFB and the individual players.

I went back and looked at all the Conferences (Indep., HS, HN, FB, FA, ACath.) 1st team selections to help see what did your peers think of you at all the positions.

Also, I like to look at the body of work you have done in your 4 years. How does your bio read and this is what I know right now.

Over 4 years... 41 wins, 7 losses, 3 conference championships, 2 state championships and 4 state championship appearances.

Originally posted by dovetail:
Interesting stuff Charlie. I had no idea they played so often. I vaguely remember a WDEL broadcast of a game by Bill Pfeiffer. I thought it was a one and done like so many of the Sals opponents today. Pfeiffer remarked that a number of the Williamson players in the game were over 20 years old. BTW, my hobby is building reproduction furniture and the "dovetail" joint is one I use quite a bit.
Dovetail,

I got tuned into dovetail joints by watching Antiques Roadshow. It is now the first thing I look at when considering a piece of furniture. I assume you mean the more labor intensive "English" Dovetail. I also found out there is a "French" dovetail that also makes for sound constuction and saves drawer space but is not as respected among collectors.

@CC

what did your son have to say about the Cavs getting their ass's rocked?

just wondering

All of them said, "Congratulations Well Deserved"

My grandson would like a #84 autograph. I told him we will try at the DIFCA AS banquet.
I recommend everyone attend. The food is good and dessert is great.

These Coaches are truly a fraternity of men.

Last year I had a wonderful time talking with Brian's family member ('73 State Champs QB) he was very proud of him and his son.

It's good to see all take time out from their busy schedules to honor the future leaders of this great state and country.
This post was edited on 12/6 6:19 AM by cavaliercharlie

Williamson Student Initiates Service to Veterans

Some homeless veterans in Philadelphia are going to have a nicer Christmas thanks to Williamson. Students and employees donated many boxes full of food for the Philadelphia Veterans Comfort House. Senior Zach McCrea 1W4 came up with the idea which caught on in popularity with donations coming from many. The food was delivered the Friday before Christmas by three machine tool technology students (pictured left to right):
VeteransHouse.jpg
McCrea 1W4, Nick DiGati 1W6, and Dan Deaver 1W5, with Jay Merillat, dean of enrollments, driving them.

The Comfort House has been helping veterans from Pennsylvania in many ways since 1994 and has been helping homeless veterans since 2010. For more information on the Comfort House, visit their website http://www.vetscomforthouse.org or call 267-292-2052.

Have a Great, Safe Holiday!

Thx. Good Health to All! I was at the gym last week and seen Chris G., he motivated me and I gave a little more than normal. Bad move, it even hurts to dial my desk top rotary phone.

I did enjoy the recent DFRC news letter with this great pic:

265061_1782713008720_3492193_n.jpg

Also, if you get a chance check out Chris, one of 90 players selected to compete in the seventh annual Under Armour All-America Game, a nationally televised game featuring the country's top high school seniors. The game is set for 4 p.m. ET Jan. 2 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla., and will be televised on ESPN.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Just completed my 2012 scrapbook. Still forming an opinion on that TEAM.

I am real happy for Coach Aviola, brings a lot to the table after 20 years with DESP;

Awe-inspiring!

Wilmington University

Faculty Profile

Joseph P. Aviola

Assoc Prof/Chair
Coll of Soc & Beha Sci - Grad

Chair, Administration of Justice & Homeland Security Programs

Associate Professor
Ed.D., Wilmington University
M.S., Wilmington College
B.S., University of Delaware

-----------------
Filling the void with a good book

ART OF THE UPSET by Bruce Reynolds, check it out
www.coachbrucereynolds.com

or what ever you do, do not look up screen names on urban dictionary.

Several weeks now, I have seen Chris G at the Village Gym, working hard and looking real Stealthy.

No. Strike that.

He is looking more Like a SR 71 out of retirement. Mach 3+ ..........BOOOOOOOM!

Happy Fathers Day!

Originally posted by cavaliercharlie:
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/High-School-Blitz_-Highlights-of-the-Week_Philadelphia-275025971.html

Skip to 5 minutes 37 seconds, draw your own conclusion.
HAHA.. Just a little out of bounds.. or allot

Help Us Beat The Beast - Cancer!

What: MHS v. Glasgow Football
When: Friday, September 26
Time: 7 p.m. Opening Ceremony
Where: Cavalier Stadium, 504 S. Broad Street

As a football powerhouse, MHS faces a tough schedule. But did you know that our Cavaliers have set their sights on an even bigger opponent - cancer - and they're using the playing field to bring attention and awareness to the cause?!

During their September 26, game against Glasgow High, the Cavs will be wearing pink jerseys emblazoned with the name of someone who has battled cancer. (Fans paid $100/jersey for the honor of saluting a loved one.) That family member will be honored in a pregame ceremony and receive the jersey right off the back of his/her player, at the conclusion of the game.

Now the players are working to get their fans to buy pink or blue "Beat the Beast" shirts for the same cause. The commemorative pink tee shirts (adult sizes S-4XL) will be on sale for $10 each at the game. Volunteers will be selling them on the sidelines.

Cancer awareness information and prevention messages will be featured prominently throughout the stadium as volunteers from the American Cancer Society, The Helen Graham Cancer Center, Miles for Melanoma, and more, staff information stations. All the funds raised at the game will be used locally for cancer research and support. Please help us make this night a success! For more information, contact Coach Mark DelPercio at mark.delpercio@appo.k12.de.us.

Please check out the Beat the Beast link on the Middletown High School site to download the order form and get ordering instructions.

FYI
Wesley College playing up today at Charlotte. Charlotte plays a tough schedule for a young program and on paper should own Wesley today.

I think different, after today, if everyone stays healthy they should go deep in the Stagg Bowl tourney. Also, Jmar Barn-yard (MTown) needs 38 yards for 1k regular season.

This post was edited on 11/15 12:28 PM by cavaliercharlie

The Williamson Free School of Mechanical Trades

[/I]

Williamson Machinists Help Homeless Veterans

Some homeless veterans in Philadelphia had a nicer Thanksgiving thanks to some of Williamson's machine tool technology students. Under the leadership of Dan Deaver 1W5 and Nick DiGati 1W6, Willi...amson's machinists collected food and personal items for homeless veterans staying at the Philadelphia Veterans Comfort House. Assisting Dan and Nick in delivering the food and items to the veterans were Helene Montone, director of health services, and Joan DiPrimio, administrative assistant in Program Services.

The machinists are going to make another collection and delivery for Christmas. Anyone wishing to help should contact Dan at ddeaver15@williamson.edu or Nick at ndigati16@williamson.edu.

The new tradition of helping the Philadelphia Veterans Comfort House was started last year by Zach McCrea 1W4. His hope was that each year other machine tool technology students would keep the collections going. Dan and Nick helped last year and it is hoped that Nick, with some freshmen and juniors, will continue the new tradition next year.

In the photo are (from left to right) Cynthia Wilson, executive director; Dan Deaver 1W5; Sergeant Major Wallace Presley; Nick DiGiati 1W6; and Marcus Davis.

The Comfort House has been helping veterans from Pennsylvania in many ways since 1994 and has been helping homeless veterans since 2010. For more information on the Comfort House, visit their website http://www.vetscomforthouse.org/

or call 267-292-2052.

Nov 19, 2014
NEWPORT NEWS,VA- The USCAA is proud to announce the 2014 All-USCAA Football Team. This year's All-USCAA Football Team is comprised of 24 first team, 14 second team, and 4 honorable mention award winners.

1st Team 2nd Team
Offense
QB Caleb Huss Iowa Wesleyan College Deon Lavender The Apprentice School
RB Rasheed Williams Alfred State College Trey Todd Iowa Wesleyan College
WR Erik Simmons Alfred State College
WR Raul Becerrill Iowa Wesleyan College
WR Marc Ballatori Iowa Wesleyan College
TE Alvin Goodwyn The Apprentice School
OL Ja'Korey Walker Iowa Wesleyan College Austin Goforth The Apprentice School
OL Troy Hallberg Iowa Wesleyan College Gino Saunders The Apprentice School
OL Dakota Dowd Iowa Wesleyan College Dominic Marascio Williamson
OL Jake Chapman Alfred State College Keyshawn Baker Alfred State College

Defense
LB Matt Sinex Williamson Marlon Hernandez Alfred State College
LB Raequan Norman Williamson Nick DePofi Alfred State College
LB Nate Daniels Iowa Wesleyan College
Leland Hamilton
The Apprentice School
DL Sam Balbach Iowa Wesleyan College Ryan Ransom The Apprentice School
DL Christian Henriksen Iowa Wesleyan College Kione Hampton Iowa Wesleyan College
DL Richard Miller Alfred State College
DL Michael Vega Williamson
DB/S Brandon Hampton The Apprentice School Montell Scott Iowa Wesleyan College
DB/S Danny Napolionello Alfred State College Logan Fetterhoff Williamson
DB/S Wesley Williams Iowa Wesleyan College
DB/S Darryl Smith Iowa Wesleyan College

Special Teams
K Austin Wall The Apprentice School
P Blake Penix The Apprentice School
RS Raul Lozano Iowa Wesleyan College Rob Murphy Williamson

Honorable Mention
Offense
RB Ian Fleming Williamson
RB Matt Munson Alfred State College

Defense
LB Nick DiGati Williamson
LB Erol Carter The Apprentice School

A lot of talk about stats in the nation, I think when the dust settles, how does the bio read.

2014 (Sophomore): One of the most all-around backs in the Nation who ran for a team-high 892 yards and 11 touchdowns while catching 41 passes for 576 yards and four scores… His 41 catches were fourth on the squad and he ranked third in receiving yards to help earn him Second Team All-ECAC honors… Averaged 4.2 yards per carry and 14.0 yards per catch… Ran for 96 yards and a touchdown while catching six passes for 58 yards in season opener against Thomas More… Season-high three rushing touchdowns at Salisbury while running for 87 yards… Identical 87 yards against Rowan while catching five passes for 57 yards while touching the ball a season-high 28 times… Gained 43 yards on the ground and found the endzone against Southern Virginia… Season-high 122 receiving yards and a touchdown on six catches while running for 62 yards and a score against Louisiana College… Caught two passes for 65 yards and a touchdown at Concordia… Found the endzone on the ground and through the air at Menlo… Season-high 109 rushing yards and a touchdown at Virginia-Lynchburg… Career-high 189 all-purpose yards at Division I Charlotte, gaining 97 yards and a touchdown on five catches while also going for 92 rushing yards… Scored twice on the ground against Hobart in the NCAA Quarterfinals while rushing for 78 yards.

2013 (Freshman): Appeared in all 13 games and became Wesley's starting running back late in the season with starts in the Playoffs against Ithaca and at Mount Union… Finish second on the squad with 384 rushing yards and three rushing scores while catching 16 passes for 140 yards and another three touchdowns… Saw his first extensive action at Birmingham Southern with seven carries for 29 yards… Ran for a season-high 123 yards and a touchdown against Alfred State in the final regular season game… Ran for 47 yards on 17 attempts in 1st round win at Johns Hopkins while also catching three balls for 16 yards… Season-high 20 carries for 103 yards and two scores in Playoff win over Ithaca while also grabbing a pair of passes for 20 yards… Seven catches for 74 yards and three receiving scores in Quarterfinals at Mount Union.

Wesley Athletics
February 20, 2015

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - Wesley College's football team stamped its place as the best small college football team in the East on Thursday night at MetLife Stadium when it received its sixth ECAC Team of the Year Award in the last eight years. The Wolverines also took home its fifth Lambert Cup Trophy during that same stretch.

Also recognized among Lambert Cup and ECAC Team of the Year recipients were Rutgers University and the University of Wisconsin (FBS), University of New Hampshire (FCS) and both Bloomsburg and West Chester (Division II).

Several individuals from Wesley were also recognized including head coach Mike Drass who was named the ECAC Division III South Co-Coach of the Year and senior Aamir Petrose, the ECAC Division III South Co-Defensive Player of the Year.

Junior quarterback Joe Callahan, sophomore running back Jamar Baynard and sophomore tackle Casey Ergenzinger also received their ECAC All-Star Awards.

The Wolverines finished their 2014 campaign with a 12-2 record with its tenth-straight NCAA Playoff appearance and sixth Regional title by advancing to the National Semifinals.
This post was edited on 2/21 2:19 AM by cavaliercharlie

September 15, 2015
Wesley College giving Drass his due
More news about: Wesley
wesley-mike-drass-280x249.jpg

'Oh what, really? You're writing about me?'
Wesley athletics photo
Demetrius Stevenson distinctly remembers hearing the voice of Wesley coach Mike Drass as it thundered across the field before practice during his time as a defensive tackle during the mid-1990s.

“You don’t walk on my field!”

Now that field will bear the veteran coach’s name when the Delaware school dedicates the playing surface of Scott D. Miller Stadium to the veteran coach before their game against Christopher Newport on Saturday.

Mike Drass Field.

“You definitely gotta move with a purpose when you are out there,” said Stevenson, who earned All-America honors and now works for the Dover Police Department as the School Resource Officer at Dover High School.

Ironically, on a day that he will be honored, Drass also has the chance to accomplish something few college coaches have --- win 200 games. His record currently stands at 199-54-1 and includes six NCAA regional championships.

Drass is a bit uncomfortable with all this. Having known Mike since I was a 13-year old freshman trying to make the varsity at North Penn High School in Blossburg, Pa., back in 1983, he has always been someone that puts the team ahead of himself. So a ceremony to recognize him, before a game?

That just isn’t him.

He would rather I wrote about how Joe Callahan is one of the best quarterbacks in the nation or the Wolverines two new starters at cornerback, who might be the best duo he’s ever had. For along as I can remember (and it’s been more than 30 years,) his teams have always broken down in huddle on “TOGETHER.”

“He really doesn’t want anything to do with this,” said assistant head coach Chip Knapp. “He doesn’t want any attention. He just wants to do his work.”

Well, sorry coach. Not this week. Those of us how have been involved with Wesley community the past 23 years want to take the time to give you a little love and appreciation.

“You can’t talk about Wesley without thinking about Coach Drass,” Stevenson said. “He’s made a huge impact on the whole school, not just football. It’s fitting to name the field after him.”

Knapp chuckles when thinks back to the first time he met Drass back in 1989. After their first day of work, he and another assistant invited him out for a beer. Drass declined saying he had to get sleep so he could go out and sell ads for the game program. At the time, Wesley didn’t even have a game program and was just a year removed from a 25-game losing streak upon entering Division III from the junior college ranks.

“You could tell, he was all in from day one and passionate about college football,” Knapp said. “He would go out and recruit and use his own money for expenses.”

As an assistant at Wesley, Drass and Knapp helped turn the program around in just a couple years, while sleeping on each other’s couches when the other couldn’t afford rent. A bond developed between the former offensive lineman from Media, Pa., and the quarterback from Kent, Ohio.

“You didn’t have to worry about any hidden agendas with him,” Knapp added. “You knew what you were getting. All in, and he’d do whatever he could do to help you.”

Not surprisingly, when Drass when hired as Wesley’s head coach in 1993 in age 33, Knapp became his offensive coordinator and right hand at age 28.

“The relationship between us has been great.” Knapp said, who played at Division I-FCS Cornell. “We came to Division III not really knowing much about it.”

But they shared the same attitude. Do whatever it took to win. They lined fields, did laundry and built lockers among other menial tasks.

“It wasn’t a matter of what we got paid,” Knapp added. “We just focused on what we could do to make this program better.

“When he became head coach we sat down to discuss our general philosophy. It had nothing to do with winning a game. That was secondary. We’ve followed through on that over the years. It makes you feel good when you see in culminate in a great day for him because we did things the right way. We didn’t take any shortcuts and it’s paid off.”

Drass has also been there for his friend in times of need. Knapp’s son Ben, suffered heart failure on a team road trip during the 2011 season. An honors student, athlete and musician, Ben now has physical limitations affecting his sight, ability to speak and walk. Happily, his sharp mind and sense of humor are still intact. He graduated from high school last June and the Knapps are currently trying to figure out the logistics and how to make it possible for him to go to college. He will audit a class this fall at Wesley.

“I’d probably be out of coaching without his support,” Knapp said. “I’d be home with Ben. Mike’s done everything he can to make our situation workable.

“There are not too many jobs where I could come and go based on the needs of my son. I am still able to coach and do things I love to do. We have that trust in each other. It’s been a great situation for me, that’s why I’ve stayed here a long time. Why leave a great situation?”

Stevenson is one of the players who benefitted from that philosophy. A local product from Caesar Rodney High School just south of Dover, he was raised by his mother and grandmother.

“He was more than just a coach to me,” said Stevenson, who was a freshman on Drass’ first team in 1993. “He was more like a father figure. “I learned more than just the game of football. I learned life lessons. He made an impact on my life and so many other guys I played with.”

One of the things that makes Drass a successful coach is his ability to make connections with players and draw the best out of them.

“We had a lot of guys that just fed off his energy and enthusiasm,” Stevenson said. “He knows how to motivate players, how to get you ready for a game. He just knows the right buttons to push to get the most out of you. I’d run through a wall for the man.”

And finally, on a personal note:

I played for Drass in his first season when he was a 22-year old high school assistant coach back at North Penn in 1983 and has followed him around on most autumn Saturdays as a player, coach, broadcaster or writer for over 30 years. I know my life would be much different, less complete, without his guidance and the opportunities he provided for me. I have gotten to fulfill dreams such as coaching college football, writing about sports, broadcasting games and traveling (always a lot of traveling at Wesley).

So I think I speak for my fellow former teammates, coaches, players, parents, and colleagues in saying that “together” we want Miller Stadium’s playing surface to carry your name! Enjoy it! (At least for a second.)

Now, let’s go win a game.

Player of the Week - September 15, 2015
nicholas_digati_1683_mfb.jpg

Nick DiGati, Williamson College of the Trades

Senior • Inside Linebacker • Middletown. DE

This week’s Football Defensive Player of the Week goes to Nick DiGati of The Williamson College of the Trades. In Williamson's season opener, DiGati had 12 tackles (9 solo), a sack and 2 tackles for loss as well as a hurry as Williamson scored on the final play of the game to upset Jersey Coast. Jersey Coast was trying to close out regulation on a 4th down play when DiGati came up with a tackle on the play with 1 second left giving Williamson the ball at the Jersey Coast 21 yard line. Williamson threw a last ditch desperation pass that was hauled in at the back of the end zone to give them the win.

Baynard Named Wolverine of the Week
Baynard_1710.JPG

Sep 21, 2015

DOVER, Del. - Wesley College football junior running back Jamar Baynard has been selected as the Wolverine of the Week for his effort in Wesley's 44-24 win over Christopher Newport this weekend.

Baynard ran the ball for 179 yards and three touchdowns, shaking off several would-be CNU tacklers on his way to the end zone. The running back toted the ball 26 times and caught a pair of passes as the Wolverines rolled the Captains. In two games this season, Baynard has already rushed for 315 yards and should continue to see the lion's share of the football in a high-powered Wesley offense.

Baynard's 157.5 yards rushing per game lead the New Jersey Athletic Conference. Among all rushers with 20 or more carries, Baynard's 7.2 yards per carry are also the most in the conference.

Baynard and the Wolverines will travel to Chicago this weekend to take on No. 18 North Central College in a battle of top-ranked squads.

"We Have Flight Plans and We Are Sticking With Them!"

No. 5 Wesley Overcomes 21-Point Deficit to Defeat No. 22 North Central

WESLEY
NORTH CENTRAL (ILL.)

Joe Callahan and the Wesley offense orchestrated an 11-play, 94-yard drive in the final two minutes to score and punched in a two-point conversion with seven seconds remaining for the 50-49 win over No. 22 North Central College.

Callahan finished with his second 400-yard passing performance of the season, going 26-for-50 for 414 yards and three touchdowns. Callahan also had 111 rush yards and two rushing scores. Jamar Baynard ran the ball 24 times for 141 yards and a score, his third 100-yard rushing game this season. James Okike led the Wesley receiving corps with seven catches for 128 yards and two touchdowns while Bryce Shade caught three balls for 100 yards and a touchdown. Xavier Allenonly recorded one catch for four yards, but snagged the game-winning two point try.

Wesley was the first to crack the scoreboard in the top 25 shootout. Jamar Baynard opened the scoring with a one yard run to cap an 80-yard drive. The Wolverines' 7-0 lead didn't last for long though, as North Central tied the game before the end of the first frame and then outscored Wesley 21-7 in the second quarter and the Wolverines trailed by 14 at halftime.

The Wolverines' only score in the second quarter came on a 15-yard connection between Callahan and Okike. The score capped a six-play, 82-yard drive and kept Wesley in the game headed into the break.

In the second half, the Wesley defense made enough big plays to stymie the North Central offense. Wesley outscored the Cardinals 36-21 in the third and fourth quarter. The Wolverine defense allowed a touchdown on the Cardinals first drive of the half, but forced them into four consecutive scoreless drives after that. The stout defense allowed Wesley to score 28 straight points to tie the game.

Callahan found Shade for a 59-yard touchdown pass to make it 35-21, and then rushed for three consecutive touchdowns to give the Wolverines a 42-35 with 11:30 remaining in the fourth quarter.

North Central came storming back, capitalizing on a Wesley special teams turnover to answer with 14 straight points and take a 49-42 lead with 2:08 remaining in the game. With time winding down and the fifth-ranked Wolverines trailing by a score, the Wolverines turned the ball over to one of the best Division III quarterbacks in the nation.

After a penalty on the kickoff, Wesley was forced to start the drive on its own six-yard line. Callahan escaped pressure on the first play and scampered for a 10-yard gain, followed by a 7-yard Baynard rush. The quarterback completed three passes to tight end Kyle George for 41 yards on the drive, and found Baynard twice for 23 yards. The scoring strike came on a 12-yard pass to James Okike, making the score 49-48.

Faced with a difficult decision, head coach Mike Drass and offensive coordinator Chip Knapp decided to go for the win. On the two-point try, Callahan found Xavier Allen in the end zone to complete the conversion and give the Wolverines 50-49 lead with seven seconds remaining.

On the ensuing kickoff, the Cardinals' return man muffed the catch and Wesley pounced on the recovery, kneeling out the clock on the final play of the game to earn the 50-49 road win over the 22nd-ranked Cardinals.

Wesley improves to 3-0 on the season and will return to New Jersey Athletic Conference play on Saturday, October 3 when they host Southern Virginia University at 1:00 p.m.

ANDREW HICKS NAMED USCAA NATIONAL FOOTBALL OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

Player of the Week - October 6, 2015
andrew_hicks_1683_mfb.jpg

Andrew Hicks, Williamson College of the Trades
Freshmen • Running Back • Bear, DE

This week’s Football Offensive Player of the Week honor goes to Andrew Hicks of Williamson School of the Trades. The freshmen ran 16 times for 118 yards. His longest run of the game was for 48 yards. Hick’s two touchdowns lead the Mechanics to a big win over George Mason 47-0.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT