ADVERTISEMENT

Inaugural Will Knight Award preseason watch list.

Woody_Wood

JV stand out
Gold Member
May 20, 2021
This is the inaugural Will Knight Award preseason watch list for the state's top running back. This position coming into this season is loaded with talent vying for the top spot and they are ready to show off. So many so that I have a total of 31 players on the list!

Candidates plays predominantly at the running back position and has made exceptional contributions to his team in the past. Each week I will post top stats that I can find on the running back position. If I've left out someone, that has done exceptionally well in the past, feel free to add their name. If there is someone that has done exceptionally well during a given week is missed, please feel free to post their stats that can be validated. If you know someone on the list that has transferred schools or is no longer at the school please let me know.

Donovan Artis, sr., St. Mark's​

Quasim Benson, sr., St. Elizabeth​

Dahmir Byrd, sr., Mount Pleasant​

Michael Downes, jr., St. Elizabeth​

Markee Ellerbe, jr., Newark​

Zahbir Goggins, so., Glasgow​

Hayden Hall, sr., Indian River​

Matt Hanich, sr., St. Mark’s​

P.J. Henry, sr., Sussex Central​

Markell Holman, sr., Ceasar Rodney​

Maurki James, jr., Cape Henlopen​

Jakwon Kilby, jr., Dover​

Rahshan LaMons, jr., Tatnall​

Jazonte Levan, jr., Seaford​

Andrew Long, sr., Sussex Central​

TJ Martin, sr., St. Mark's​

Daniel McConomy, sr., Appoquinimink​

Craig Miller, jr., Caravel​

Bruno Nyandemo, sr., Polytech​

Michael Pearson III, sr., Middletown​

Dominick Pietlock, sr., Tower Hill​

Giovanni Ramirez, jr., McKean​

Josh Roberson, sr., Middletown​

Jaryn Sample, sr., Sussex Tech​

Nate Schurga-Goodwin, sr., Conrad​

Kris Shields, sr., Sussex Central​

Breon Simms, sr., Red Lion Christian​

Calif Spencer, sr., Lake Forest​

Dha-Feir Watts-Henry, sr., DMA​

Dajour White, jr., Newark​

Jerah Wright, jr., Concord​

Last edited:
interesting 3 St Marks RB’s and 0 Smyrna RB’s

Running backs? they don't need no stinkin running backs.. just need blitz picker uppers lol

They only had 2 on the roster last year one was Wa Knight the other was a freshman Yancy

This looks like a Brad Myers list. If I list enough people, I’m bound to be right. 😉
I looked in the News Journal. I also, looked at the all class teams from last year and the all conference teams from the year before. I looked to see who was recognized on the list and still playing. There's also three Central running backs.

I will be looking for all running backs this year. If you have someone I should watch for let me know.

Last edited:
interesting 3 St Marks RB’s and 0 Smyrna
Running backs? they don't need no stinkin running backs.. just need blitz picker uppers lol

They only had 2 on the roster last year one was Wa Knight the other was a freshman

They only had 2 on the roster last year one was Wa Knight the other was a freshman
I looked in the News Journal. I also, looked at the all class teams from last year and the all conference teams from the year before. I looked to see who was recognized on the list and still playing. There's also three Central running backs.

I will be looking for all running backs this year. If you have someone I should watch for let me know.
After a couple CR practices…No Markelle 😳

unless @SmyrnaOnTop can shed some light (if they wish too) I think Yamir switches to RB this year. My game plan if I was them is to get him the ball as quickly as you can because he can do so many remarkable things in space. I like Nate Fretz at WR for them at the moment. What better way to kick off the inaugural will knight award then to have a Knight win it.

of course that’s all mute if Markell gets his transfer waived for Smyrna. Then keep doing what they are doing.

That may not mean anything. We don't know exactly when he started at CR and when the 180 schools days are up. There is nothing as far as transfer waivers on the meeting docket Thursday for CR, Smyrna or Penn. Without knowing his legal residence and guardian status situation he would need a waiver to go to Smyrna or Penn and if his transfer to CR is not his legal residence school zone then he would have a 180 day (from when he first attended class there) sit out to play. per the transfer rules anyway.. He could end up transferring out of state for all we know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody_Wood
Wherever he goes he may not show up until day 1 of school. I think his only option other than CR would be to go out of state

unless @SmyrnaOnTop can shed some light (if they wish too) I think Yamir switches to RB this year. My game plan if I was them is to get him the ball as quickly as you can because he can do so many remarkable things in space. I like Nate Fretz at WR for them at the moment. What better way to kick off the inaugural will knight award then to have a Knight win it.

of course that’s all mute if Markell gets his transfer waived for Smyrna. Then keep doing what they are doing.
I assume Yamir will play both WR and RB.

I assume Yamir will play both WR and RB.

Interesting stat from last year.. Wa Knight had just as many receptions as Y Knight (43) also same amount of rec tds (6) rec yards were close (Wa Knight 738 Y Knight 852)

I would guess Y will betaking Wa's role (Wil's before him) this year. Especially since Y is already committed to JMU.

That may not mean anything. We don't know exactly when he started at CR and when the 180 schools days are up. There is nothing as far as transfer waivers on the meeting docket Thursday for CR, Smyrna or Penn. Without knowing his legal residence and guardian status situation he would need a waiver to go to Smyrna or Penn and if his transfer to CR is not his legal residence school zone then he would have a 180 day (from when he first attended class there) sit out to play. per the transfer rules anyway.. He could end up transferring out of state for all we know.

never mind all this. I forgot even if you have to sit for bit after transferring you can still practice with the team. also an asst coach from CR deleted a retweet pertaining to MH's offer at DSU. So at this point I am guessing he is out at CR..

Probably doesn’t mean anything but Holmans Hudl says William Penn. Penns Team list on Hudl has Holman. However his Twitter says CR.

Probably doesn’t mean anything but Holmans Hudl says William Penn. Penns Team list on Hudl has Holman. However his Twitter says CR.
most teams haven't updated their hudl yet. They typically do that when they put their rosters in websiteforsports. Most not all

Smyrna's hudl shows Edge as well as Markell on their roster..

He shows on Smyrna's and W Penns hudl roster ..lol

Last edited:
My Vote in no particular order for the Award: with Rationale

Knight - Smyrna (can wiggle in space, and will have at least 6 games where he can put up huge numbers)​

Josh Roberson, sr., Middletown (They will be close to the top all year and will get many more touches then he did last year)​

TJ Martin, sr., St. Mark's (Now 100% - Would have been at top last year if not for an injury)​

Calif Spencer, sr., Lake Forest (I believe this is the same RB I saw at camps last year and this - if I have this correct, the young man can fly)​

Dha-Feir Watts-Henry, sr., DMA (If the QB does not run the ball 100times this year, he will be the horse. And we know they don't call off the dogs, so he can have some gaudy numbers)​

By the way you did not pay for this commentary, so it may be worth what you paid for.

So he played with Penn last year, worked out with CR all summer and is now playing for Smyrna.
Can’t wait to see how DIAA handles this one

So he played with Penn last year, worked out with CR all summer and is now playing for Smyrna.
He transferred to CR mid year last year after football season. He is looking at a second transfer which almost always requires a waiver.

If he didn't move (legal move with legal guardian) into CR district he would need a waiver there as well. The 1 free transfer has to be done before the start of your Jr year. seams he is in a bit of a pickle.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Sounds like Tiberi the QB too….played at Penn…worked out with Sallies….changed to Neuman Goretti….left NG…now at Sallies…and it’s not September yet lol

He transferred to CR mid year last year after football season. He is looking at a second transfer which almost always requires a waiver.

If he didn't move (legal move with legal guardian) into CR district he would need a waiver there as well. The 1 free transfer has to be done before the start of your Jr year. seams he is in a bit of a pickle.
From what I’ve heard, everything was handled by the book.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
From what I’ve heard, everything was handled by the book.

Then he would qualify for one of these two exceptions (depending on what the situation was) and would be eligible at CR without needing a hardship waiver hearing unless the DIAA deems the transfer was athletically motivated then the exceptions won't apply. Obviously athletically motivated move would not apply with the move to CR but any subsequent transfer to say Smyrna it would come into play. @SmyrnaOnTop already said the transfer to Smyrna didn't fly so who knows now. @84rider any info?

2.4.4.1.9 Transfer Due to Change of Residence - The transfer is the result of a change in residence by the custodial parents, legal guardians, or Relative Caregiver to the attendance zone of a public school that student was not attending. If, as a result of the change of residence, the student could now enroll in a different public school, the student may make a one-time election and select any school including a private school. A change in residence has occurred when all occupancy of the previous residence has ended and a new legal residence has been established. Maintaining dual residency for purposes of athletic eligibility shall render the student ineligible.

2.4.4.1.7 Transfer Due to Court Action - A student may transfer without loss of athletic eligibility if the transfer is caused by court action, court action being an order from a court of law affecting legally committed students. In the case of a transfer of guardianship or custody, the transfer shall be the result of a court order signed by a judge, commissioner, or master of a court of competent jurisdiction. A petition for the transfer of guardianship or custody, an affidavit, (except as permitted by subsection 2.4.4.3.2.1 of this regulation), or a notarized statement signed by the affected parties shall not be sufficient to render the student eligible to participate in interscholastic athletics.

Last edited:
Sounds like Tiberi the QB too….played at Penn…worked out with Sallies….changed to Neuman Goretti….left NG…now at Sallies…and it’s not September yet lol

Difference is it's in the summer and he hasn't attended either school yet. Also not the first time for a Sallies transfer to do this. Micah Wing did the exact same thing when he left Caravel. I think they are going there (NG) in the summer to workout with Coach DT and his training thing. Sometimes they xfer to NG sometimes they don't depending on how it works out. (transportation, housing and $)

Reactions: DEfootballFan6
He told one of the other players that CR was disorganized and had no unity ouch smh, hopefully they prove him wrong, wishful thinking I guess

Last edited:
  • Sad
As of now, he has informed some of the players that he is transferring. a parent said it’s a shame but they don’t know how or if he will be able to transfer and called it a strange situation.

• Sad
As of now, he has informed some of the players that he is transferring. a parent said it’s a shame but they don’t know how or if he will be able to transfer and called it a strange situation.

Well looks as though at this point he would need a hardship waiver wherever he goes (if in DE) . I have no idea whether he can get that or not but he needs to get the request into DIAA from whatever school he is going like real soon. It won't be until the mid September meeting that it can be even be heard at the earliest.

He told one of the other players that CR was disorganized and had no unity ouch smh, hopefully they prove he wrong, wishful thinking I guess
CR seems ok to me in that regard. Maybe team unity will be better off without him 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: 84rider
Well looks as though at this point he would need a hardship waiver wherever he goes (if in DE) . I have no idea whether he can get that or not but he needs to get the request into DIAA from whatever school he is going like real soon. It won't be until the mid September meeting that it can be even be heard at the earliest.
Do you need a waiver if you move? I heard his mom moved out of Camden earlier this month…. Not sure if true but sounds like “home life” isn’t the best for him.

He’s participating in Smyrna’s offseason practices now. 🤷‍♂️

Do you need a waiver if you move? I heard his mom moved out of Camden earlier this month…. Not sure if true but sounds like “home life” isn’t the best for him.

Not necessarily but the move/transfer does have to be vetted by the DIAA and the exception rule approved. So all necessary paperwork has to be submitted to show a legit move into a different school zone and that the move was not for athletic purpose. Which could be an issue based on the obvious circumstances surrounding the move. Totally up to the DIAA whether they want to bring the athletic purpose into play. So it is possible DIAA may want to bring him in for clarification (questioning) before they approve the transfer exception or they may just say whatever and approve it just based on a legit move if one exist.

2.4.4.1.9 Transfer Due to Change of Residence - The transfer is the result of a change in residence by the custodial parents, legal guardians, or Relative Caregiver to the attendance zone of a public school that student was not attending. If, as a result of the change of residence, the student could now enroll in a different public school, the student may make a one-time election and select any school including a private school. A change in residence has occurred when all occupancy of the previous residence has ended and a new legal residence has been established. Maintaining dual residency for purposes of athletic eligibility shall render the student ineligible.

2.4.6 Transfers for Athletic Advantage - The exceptions listed in subsection 2.4.4 of this regulation shall not apply if the transfer was for athletic advantage. If the student transfers for athletic advantage, the student may still request a waiver of the transfer rule. A transfer for athletic advantage includes but is not limited to any transfer where the primary reason for student's transfer was for any of the following:

2.4.6.1 To seek a superior team.

2.4.6.2 To seek a team more compatible with student’s abilities;

2.4.6.3 Dissatisfaction with the student’s position or playing time;

2.4.6.4 The student follows the coach to another school to which the coach has transferred;

2.4.6.5 Dissatisfaction with the philosophy, policies, methods, or actions of a coach or administrator pertaining to interscholastic athletics;

2.4.6.6 To avoid disciplinary action imposed by another state athletic association;

2.4.6.7 To avoid disciplinary action imposed by the sending school related to or affecting interscholastic athletic participation.

Last edited:
He’s participating in Smyrna’s offseason practices now. 🤷‍♂️

That's interesting. Smyrna hasn't started real practice yet though being they don't have a week 0 game. Maybe Smyrna feels confident they can get the transfer through. Or maybe they are using the MT/DMA method and just doing whatever they want and dare DIAA to do something about it..lol

That's interesting. Smyrna hasn't started real practice yet though being they don't have a week 0 game. Maybe Smyrna feels confident they can get the transfer through. Or maybe they are using the MT/DMA method and just doing whatever they want and dare DIAA to do something about it..lol
Given DIAA’s recent track record on these things, I’d be confident too haha

• Haha
Not necessarily but the move/transfer does have to be vetted by the DIAA and the exception rule approved. So all necessary paperwork has to be submitted to show a legit move into a different school zone and that the move was not for athletic purpose. Which could be an issue based on the obvious circumstances surrounding the move. Totally up to the DIAA whether they want to bring the athletic purpose into play. So it is possible DIAA may want to bring him in for clarification (questioning) before they approve the transfer exception or they may just say whatever and approve it just based on a legit move if one exist.

2.4.6 Transfers for Athletic Advantage - The exceptions listed in subsection 2.4.4 of this regulation shall not apply if the transfer was for athletic advantage. If the student transfers for athletic advantage, the student may still request a waiver of the transfer rule. A transfer for athletic advantage includes but is not limited to any transfer where the primary reason for student's transfer was for any of the following:

2.4.6.1 To seek a superior team.

2.4.6.2 To seek a team more compatible with student’s abilities;

2.4.6.3 Dissatisfaction with the student’s position or playing time;

2.4.6.4 The student follows the coach to another school to which the coach has transferred;

2.4.6.5 Dissatisfaction with the philosophy, policies, methods, or actions of a coach or administrator pertaining to interscholastic athletics;

2.4.6.6 To avoid disciplinary action imposed by another state athletic association;

2.4.6.7 To avoid disciplinary action imposed by the sending school related to or affecting interscholastic athletic participation.
This stuff right here to me is why private and public should be in different conferences. I can live in Dover and play for Sallies but I can’t live in Wilmington and play for Dover….yet those 2 teams play each other using rosters built by different rules….just doesn’t seem right. …for any sport

This stuff right here to me is why private and public should be in different conferences. I can live in Dover and play for Sallies but I can’t live in Wilmington and play for Dover….yet those 2 teams play each other using rosters built by different rules….just doesn’t seem right. …for any sport

You can live in Wilmington and play/go to school at Dover. If Dover participates in school choice and is accepting choice students and of course you have a ride to school.

You can go to whatever school that can let you in. DIAA just has rules on transferring and athletic eligibility. In fact you can live in say Glasgow district but go to HVT. You move to New Castle and at that point you can make a one time choice to go to any school you want and be eligible Even Dover. You don't have to move into the school district you want to go to you just have to move into a different school district than you were in.

The transfer is the result of a change in residence by the custodial parents, legal guardians, or Relative Caregiver to the attendance zone of a public school that student was not attending. If, as a result of the change of residence, the student could now enroll in a different public school, the student may make a one-time election and select any school including a private school.

Last edited:
Reactions: DEfootballFan6
You can live in Wilmington and play/go to school at Dover. If Dover participates in school choice and is accepting choice students and of course you have a ride to school.

You can go to whatever school that can let you in. DIAA just has rules on transferring and athletic eligibility. In fact you can live in say Glasgow district but go to HVT. You move to New Castle and at that point you can make a one time choice to go to any school you want and be eligible Even Dover. You don't have to move into the school district you want to go to you just have to move into a different school district than you were in.

The transfer is the result of a change in residence by the custodial parents, legal guardians, or Relative Caregiver to the attendance zone of a public school that student was not attending. If, as a result of the change of residence, the student could now enroll in a different public school, the student may make a one-time election and select any school including a private school.
Thank you for clarifying…I always thought they played by different rules when it comes to attendance.

I will try and simplify the transfer eligibility rules..if posible

You get 1 free transfer before the start of your Jr year.
You can transfer to your zoned public anytime without penalty provided it is your first and only transfer

Any other transfers are an automatic 1 year sit out. There are two ways to get by this.
Either you qualify for one of the "exceptions" listed or you get a "hardship waiver"

For the exceptions that is handled by your new school by them sending in a notice of transfer to the DIAA Executive Director and if an exception is being used any documents supporting the exception. The DIAA ED would make the approval , no meeting needed

For Hardship Waivers you would need a hearing at a DIAA meeting.

The DIAA always holds the trump card to determine if any move was for athletic advantage and uphold the 1 year sit out.

Last edited:
If he does end up playing for Smyrna I wonder if we will be hearing anyone from a certain contingent saying that ita wrong and he shouldn't be playing there, like what is said about other athletes at other schools

@SmyrnaOnTop has gone mum..

giphy.gif

If he does end up playing for Smyrna I wonder if we will be hearing anyone from a certain contingent saying that ita wrong and he shouldn't be playing there, like what is said about other athletes at
What’s the point of complaining about any of these schools…..as one HC of a northern school has said….DIAA just created the Wild West….let the games begin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT