ADVERTISEMENT

2020 covid schedule and team info

I did not hear the meeting. Just curious, will there be any Covid testing of the players/coaches from week to week?

Diamond State league schedules are up Charter not scheduled. Wonder if they just aren't playing football this year?

St Marks is playing 4 of them so far.. Conrad, Archmere, St E's and DMA

SPL has done nothing with their schedules yet

Must not be conference champions this year. Look like Henlopen is mixing and matching games North and South but trying when they can to hold contracts with OOC teams.. I am guessing D1 and D2 points won't matter this year either.. Probably a selection committee for play-offs?

Must not be conference champions this year. Look like Henlopen is mixing and matching games North and South but trying when they can to hold contracts with OOC teams.. I am guessing D1 and D2 points won't matter this year either.. Probably a selection committee for play-offs?
Football committee meets tomorrow. I am sure that will be a topic

If you are interested, here is the link for the football meeting: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/329550717

The agenda includes tournament selection criteria, tournament sites, and division alignment discussion. There is a time for public comment, but you have to register, and it comes after those decisions have been made.

The fun starts at 5 pm.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
As of 9/21/20, all the teams in the Henlopen South have seven games scheduled except for Seaford, who only has 6.

The only team in Flight B with games scheduled is Howard. They have 7 scheduled and the other teams in Flight B that have Howard scheduled only have the one game on their schedule. Concord has no games scheduled.

The rest of Div 2 have limited games scheduled or still have their old schedules listed.

I wonder if a lot of the schools are waiting for their local school boards to vote before they work on their schedules?

As of 9/21/20, all the teams in the Henlopen South have seven games scheduled except for Seaford, who only has 6.

The only team in Flight B with games scheduled is Howard. They have 7 scheduled and the other teams in Flight B that have Howard scheduled only have the one game on their schedule. Concord has no games scheduled.

The rest of Div 2 have limited games scheduled or still have their old schedules listed.

I wonder if a lot of the schools are waiting for their local school boards to vote before they work on their schedules?
Brandywine SD has their board meeting tonight to say yea or nay. Schedules are locked in, just have to wait for the board to say go...

All the Diamond State teams have a week open and it is all different weeks so I assume that is Charters spot waiting to find out if they are playing or not

Reactions: Titanium Shadow
Brandywine SD has their board meeting tonight to say yea or nay. Schedules are locked in, just have to wait for the board to say go...
From what Sean Green is saying on Twitter it looks like Brandywine School District is a go for football.

Caravel now has 4

From what Sean Green is saying on Twitter it looks like Brandywine School District is a go for football.

Brandywine HS Varsity Football 2020/2021

#​
Date​
Day​
TimeOpponentH/ALocationCommentsW/LScore
1​

10/23/20​
Fri​
7:00pm​
Glasgow HS
H​
Brandywine HSSenior Night
2​

10/30/20​
Fri​
Howard HS of Tech
A​
Howard Vo TechLocation and time TBD
3​

11/6/20​
Fri​
AI duPont HS
H​
Brandywine HS
4​

11/14/20​
Sat​
12:00pm​
Christiana HS
A​
Christiana HS
5​

11/20/20​
Fri​
6:00pm​
John Dickinson School
A​
John Dickinson School
6​

11/27/20​
Fri​
McKean HS
H​
Brandywine HSDate & Time TBD
7​

12/5/20​
Sat​
10:30pm​
Newark HS
A​
Newark HS

That appears to be the full Flight B schedule. I am not being a downer but based on previous years, Dickinson or Christiana has not always been able to finish the year without forfeits due to numbers problems. Now, we have a pandemic, which will have a major impact on numbers. Is this a real plan or wishful thinking ? (quote from my Uncle Tunis, 1976).

This is going to be a strange year indeed.

The interesting thing is that Howard is scheduled to play Dickinson and Christiana the last 2 weeks...if history holds...Howard and Sallies may be able to play on Thanksgiving. I know that is wishful thinking but maybe it will morph into a plan.

Sals now added at Sussex Central on 11/27...Gracious move by Coach Wells. He scrimmages the Sals every year....He is the real deal.

...as a recent convert to being a Sals fan...I need to go continue therapy to erase the memory of SC blowing the Sals away at UD in the title game in 2018. It will take a lot of sessions but my therapist says I can get a grip on this with like a year more of sessions.

Last edited:
Caravel now has 4

Friends steps up to the plate... Tower Hill?

Caravel Academy Varsity Football 2020/2021

#​
Date​
Day​
1​

10/31/20​
Sat​
2:00pm​
Wilm Friends School
A​
Wilm Friends School
2​

11/6/20​
Fri​
7:30pm​
Red Lion CA
A​
Red Lion CA
3​

11/13/20​
Fri​
Laurel HS
H​
Caravel Academy
4​

11/20/20​
Fri​
Cape Henlopen HS
H​
Caravel Academy
5​
12/4/20​
Fri​
Woodbridge HS
H​
Caravel Academy

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Sals now added at Sussex Central on 11/27...Gracious move by Coach Wells. He scrimmages the Sals every year....He is the real deal.

...as a recent convert to being a Sals fan...I need to go continue therapy to erase the memory of SC blowing the Sals away at UD in the title game in 2018. It will take a lot of sessions but my therapist says I can get a grip on this with like a year more of sessions.
Coach Wells is a good coach but his hand was kinda forced because they couldn’t schedule the usual Maryland cupcakes they always seem to dig up. If they wanted 7 games their options are limited. I’m pretty sure they could’ve fit them into the schedule in years past if they really wanted to.

Tatnall and St Andrews opting out of football this year.. CA and Friends schedule a home and home.. That works.. Hopefully Friends can can fill up and CA can find 1 more..

#​
Date​
Day​
1​

10/23/20​
Fri​
Wilm Friends School
H​
Caravel Academy
2​

11/6/20​
Fri​
Red Lion CA
A​
Red Lion CA
3​

11/13/20​
Fri​
Laurel HS
H​
Caravel Academy
4​

11/20/20​
Fri​
Cape Henlopen HS
H​
Caravel Academy
5​

11/28/20​
Sat​
Wilm Friends School
A​
Wilm Friends School
6​
12/4/20​
Fri​
Woodbridge HS
H​
Caravel Academy

Coach Wells is a good coach but his hand was kinda forced because they couldn’t schedule the usual Maryland cupcakes they always seem to dig up. If they wanted 7 games their options are limited. I’m pretty sure they could’ve fit them into the schedule in years past if they really wanted to.

Uncle Rico, I get your point but SC scrimmages the Sals every year. Also, we still don’t know exactly how the Free State grid schedules will play out. If Wells wanted to duck the Big S he could take the Cape May-Lewes Ferry and find a weak D2 opponent. I say let’s be thankful for the game. Last time the, Sal’s played a real game at SC, it was like the 2011 playoffs and Troy Reeder was QB.
Wear your long underwear...

Reactions: The Uncle Rico
Uncle Rico, I get your point but SC scrimmages the Sals every year. Also, we still don’t know exactly how the Free State grid schedules will play out. If Wells wanted to duck the Big S he could take the Cape May-Lewes Ferry and find a weak D2 opponent. I say let’s be thankful for the game. Last time the, Sal’s played a real game at SC, it was like the 2011 playoffs and Troy Reeder was QB.
Wear your long underwear...
NJ isn’t an option this year, they start Oct 2nd and I’m sure those schedules have been set for quite some time. If I was a HC in a Delaware public school I’d never schedule Sals in the regular season. In all honesty I’m looking for easy 6 point wins to fill my non-conference games year in and year out. If I saw them it would be late Nov/early Dec. I’m a big believer in, get me to the playoffs and then all bets are off.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: BackinBlack86
If I was a HC in a Delaware public school I’d never schedule Sals in the regular season. In all honesty I’m looking for easy 6 point wins to fill my non-conference games year in and year out. If I saw them it would be late Nov/early Dec. I’m a big believer in, get me to the playoffs and then all bets are off.

If you take a look at the last 5 D1 Championship games you will see that playing Salesianum during the regular season has been the way to win the title. Every champion has played the Big S during the regular season with the exception of SC in 2018...who beat them in the championship game. The losers in 3 of the last 5 championship games had also played and beaten the Big S during the regular season.

If you want to go deep into the tournament it is best to play the top tier teams during the regular season. Just my opinion. If you haven't noticed, the Sals haven't exactly beaten up on instate competition over the past couple of years but if you plan to be there at the end it is probably good for your program to have played them.

I think the winning programs have figured that out. (I hope I don't sound like I am putting down the Sals, but so be it....)

That philosophy of "play the best opponents you can" made Fresno State a team that has frequently been in the top 25 D1 schools in the country. Jim Sweeny would play against anybody who would schedule him and his program improved because of his attitude.

That philosophy of "play the best opponents you can" made Fresno State a team that has frequently been in the top 25 D1 schools in the country. Jim Sweeny would play against anybody who would schedule him and his program improved because of his attitude.
I understand and respect that very much, I just look at it differently. I’m not scheduling any upper tier teams outside of my conference (not just Sallies) because I believe most years I’m going to be challenged by the top teams in my conference so I just want to get in the playoffs and go to work from there. Not making the playoffs just to say you played a tough schedule just doesn’t make sense to me. Get me in and anything can happen. But again, just my philosophy and I certainly see both sides.

I understand and respect that very much, I just look at it differently. I’m not scheduling any upper tier teams outside of my conference (not just Sallies) because I believe most years I’m going to be challenged by the top teams in my conference so I just want to get in the playoffs and go to work from there. Not making the playoffs just to say you played a tough schedule just doesn’t make sense to me. Get me in and anything can happen. But again, just my philosophy and I certainly see both sides.
I agree that the margin of error in missing the playoffs in Delaware is too small to only schedule top teir teams during the regular season, but you have to be careful not to schedule teams that are too weak because then you probably won't be able to compete with the teams who played a harder schedule.

Last edited:
This is not a hypothetical scenario just last year my Senators would have made it in if they didn't play Salles and just scheduled a cupcake. I'll give them credit but playing Salles, Hodgson in your first two games and have to still play Smyrna and SC in conf is to close for comfort. Not smart!

Last edited:
This is not a hypothetical scenario just last year my Senators would have made it in if they didn't play Salles and just scheduled a cupcake. I'll give them credit but playing Salles, Hodgson in your first two games and have to still play Smyrna and SC in conf is to close for comfort. Not smart!

I actually agree that Dover over scheduled last year. They had the Sals on the run in that game.... and the Sals were lucky to escape...

If you are interested, here is the link for the football meeting: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/329550717

The agenda includes tournament selection criteria, tournament sites, and division alignment discussion. There is a time for public comment, but you have to register, and it comes after those decisions have been made.

The fun starts at 5 pm.

well that was two hours of my life I will never get back.. ugghhh

The Big S has added a 3rd...Smyrna at home on 11/13.
I would pretty much hold the horses on any schedules put up.. looks like auto bids will stay along with D1 and D2 points so I am not sure Henlopen will continue with their current plan but who knows?.. Well no one will until next Tues SMH

Best I can figure from the meeting it's looking like (trending) no change in play-off points system except moving the opponents wins bonus points up to 5 and then 6 wins as opposed to 7 and 9 and then some sort of tie break most likely least amount of points given up

Last edited:
My thoughts..

Keep it simple.

No autobid
No difference in points for D1 or D2
Games confirmed canceled by Covid counts as tie and count as game played
Selection by point index minimum of 6 games to qualify
4-WIN
2-Tie
0- Loss

1pt bonus for playing a 5 win team
additional point for 6 wins

Tie breaks-
Head to Head
Opponents wins
Least amount of points given up

** Teams that don't make the selected 4 are free to schedule a week 8 bowl game**
** Teams are free to schedule week 7 games Thanksgiving morning but must still follow state covid regs which right now is no more than 250 people **

That's it BiBs solution .. fire the arrows.. I am ready haha

Also with the scheduling there are some teams that pretty much won't know if they have enough to even field a team until first practice on Monday. I can only guess that is what the Blue Hen conference teams and maybe others are waiting on before posting schedules. ??

some movement.. @Ikeyfbst2 you coming up week 1?

#​
Date​
Day​
1​

10/23/20​
Fri​
Milford HS
H​
Caravel Academy
2​

10/30/20​
Fri​
Wilm Friends School
H​
Caravel Academy
3​
11/6/20​
Fri​
Red Lion CA
A​
Red Lion CA
4​

11/13/20​
Fri​
Laurel HS
H​
Caravel Academy
5​

11/20/20​
Fri​
Cape Henlopen HS
A​
Cape Henlopen HS
6​
12/4/20​
Fri​
Woodbridge HS
H​
Caravel Academy

Friends gettin it together

Wilm Friends School Varsity Football 2020/2021
#​
Date​
Day​
1​
10/24/20​
Sat​
2:30pm​
H​
Wilm Friends SchoolWFS HOMECOMING
2​

10/30/20​
Fri​
Caravel Academy
A​
Caravel Academy
3​
11/6/20​
Fri​
St. Mark's HS
A​
St. Marks HS
4​
11/14/20​
Sat​
Tower Hill School
H​
Wilm Friends School
5​

11/21/20​
Sat​
H​
Wilm Friends School
6​

11/28/20​
Sat​
Seaford HS
H​
Wilm Friends School
7​

12/4/20​
Fri​
Tower Hill School
A​
Tower Hill School

I don't know what the hell Tower Hill is doing other than not returning calls.. sheesh.. They just plan on playing Friends twice? I don't think there is much left.. Maybe they can schedule Sallies for a home and home and Caravel..:p

Last edited:
what ya think @Ikeyfbst2 ? Fun schedule

Milford HS Varsity Football 2020/2021
#​
Date​
Day​

10/15/20​
Thu​
5:00pm​
Seaford HS
H​
Milford HS
1​

10/23/20​
Fri​
Caravel Academy
A​
Caravel Academy
2​
10/30/20​
Fri​
Woodbridge HS
H​
Milford HS
3​

11/6/20​
Fri​
Cape Henlopen HS
H​
Milford HSMilford Senior Night
4​
11/13/20​
Fri​
Delmar HS/MS
A​
Delmar HS/MS
5​
11/20/20​
Fri​
Smyrna HS
H​
Milford HS
6​
11/27/20​
Fri​
Lake Forest HS
A​
Lake Forest HS
7​
12/4/20​
Fri​
Sussex Central HS
A​
Sussex Central HS

Sallies has @Dover on 10/30. Not sure if the Flight A move is likely

yeah and looks like Blue Hen is staying all in house A and B so Salls is really hanging out there. Lucky for them the Helopen teams have some heart.. based on what all I heard from last nights meeting which was nothing from any Sals contingent.. No one really seemed very concerned about Sals in this this or any Indy or Non Conference private for that matter... but they wanted their autobids..lol

yeah and looks like Blue Hen is staying all in house A and B so Salls is really hanging out there. Lucky for them the Helopen teams have some heart.. based on what all I heard from last nights meeting which was nothing from any Sals contingent.. No one really seemed very concerned about Sals in this this or any Indy or Non Conference private for that matter... but they wanted their autobids..lol
I guess they will have to go OOS. I can see both sides. As an individual I would want to play them but it doesn’t make sense to play them and miss out on playoffs. Other posts have pointed out Dover and St. G’s as an example playing Sallies last year and not making the playoffs. Although Sallies today is not the Sallies of the past. It may be time to look at auto bids and the point system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT