8. A.I.
9. CR
10. Sussex Central

D2

1. Caravel
2. St. Georges
3. Friends
4. Glasgow
5. Lake (though if Freddie Johnson does take the Dover job, would be a HUGE loss)
6. Howard
7. St. Mark's
8. Tatnall
9. DMA
10. Delmar

Still 6 months before practice begins, so transfers and things could happen, so it's just a guess at this point.

I have a feeling it will be a 4 or 5 team race just like this year, anyone below 5 doesn't really have a chance in any way at a state title.

I like yours Gate. I have..

D1

1. Smyrna
2. Sallies
3. Concord
4. Middletown
5. Penn
6. Cape
7. Sussex Tech
8. Sussex Central
9. Dover
10. Appo

D2
  1. St. Georges
  2. Glasgow
  3. Howard
  4. St. Marks
  5. Caravel
  6. DMA
  7. Lake
  8. Hodgson
  9. Friends
  10. Delmar
Looking forward to a great season. Hope everyone has a great offseason and stays injury free.

D2 is a total crap shoot.. actually I think the Hen South will be tougher this year..with Brightwell going to Concord that knocks ST G down some with what they lost.. With Howard and Glasgow it will be how many kids get on the field come fall.. Its really looking to be very even going in with the wildcard being HVT and their numbers and how they come together.. I can see a Friends, Archmere or a handful of Hen South teams taking it,

Did Brightwell definitely transfer? If so my ranking changes. What's yours Raven?

from what I hear he did,,but nothing is definite. too early for a rankings IMO.. I would downgrade St G though.. Seems there is a lot of drama and fallout from losing the ship to Howard.. More than just Brightwell leaving.. wouldn't be a shock to me if coach heads back down South if one of those jobs open up..

Last edited:
Heard Brightwell's folks are shopping him around, exploring all options (including private schools).

Heard Brightwell's folks are shopping him around, exploring all options (including private schools).

heard those same murmurs..but nothing concrete..he definitely moved school districts so he has the right to pick the best school for him.. heard a bunch of DE ECA kids are shopping around for a school as well.. have to see how all this shakes out before any rankings

from what I hear he did,,but nothing is definite. too early for a rankings IMO.. I would downgrade St G though.. Seems there is a lot of drama and fallout from losing the ship to Howard.. More than just Brightwell leaving.. wouldn't be a shock to me if coach heads back down South if one of those jobs open up..

I feel bad for Coach Maull because he's a good guy and a REALLY good coach but it seems like he's done all he can at St. G. If it's true about Coach Collick stepping down, that'd be a natural fit because he's a Cape alum.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
Sallies has D1 already wrapped ... After all , haven't their JV & Fr teams been undefeated for the last number of yrs ?
That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Many teams have been playing their freshmen and sophomores on Varsity. That gives those teams and players a slight advantage with confidence and varsity experience. While Sallies freshmen have gone undefeated, many of the best freshmen from other teams have been playing varsity the whole time.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Many teams have been playing their freshmen and sophomores on Varsity. That gives those teams and players a slight advantage with confidence and varsity experience. While Sallies freshmen have gone undefeated, many of the best freshmen from other teams have been playing varsity the whole time.

AI that was sarcasm aimed at a Sallies fan post about Sallies freshman team being undefeated

Reactions: spartakos
I think Caravel will run away with division 2 they have so much returning experience and only graduated a few seniors, making them a very dangerous team this year, With Conrad being a team on the rise I love seeing them improve every year, Tatnall could even make playoffs with running back Ragland leading the way for them

Reactions: wrestlehead56
I would go:

1. Sals
2. Smyrna
3. MTown
4. WPenn
5. Concord
6. Cape
7. Appo
8. ST
9. SC
10. Dover

D2...crapshoot I have no idea

I think Caravel will run away with division 2 they have so much returning experience and only graduated a few seniors, making them a very dangerous team this year, With Conrad being a team on the rise I love seeing them improve every year, Tatnall could even make playoffs with running back Ragland leading the way for them

Saw Caravel twice last year and liked them a ton, feel the kid Larkins has first team RB potential and Medley is the lead dog on a very strong defense. Can they put it all together will be the question.

Smyrna and SALS should both be good again, Concord could be a sleeper with the group they have coming back! MTOWN has an abundance of play makers coming back but will need to find consistent line play to have a chance in the playoffs. Ready for September already! Enjoy the Spring.

Not sure I am ready to go that far, I think they will be improved over last year for sure but I still have concerns over size and depth on the lines... With a rumored new OC coming in hopefully they will get some consistency and identity in what they are trying to do offensively..

Last edited:
I believe Friends can make a run to the title this year considering the lack of strength in D2.

Based on who would be returning from memory, I've got:

D1

1. Smyrna
2. Sallies
3. Middletown
4. Concord
5. Penn
6. Cape
7. Sussex Tech
8. A.I.
9. CR
10. Sussex Central

D2

1. Caravel
2. St. Georges
3. Friends
4. Glasgow
5. Lake (though if Freddie Johnson does take the Dover job, would be a HUGE loss)
6. Howard
7. St. Mark's
8. Tatnall
9. DMA
10. Delmar

Still 6 months before practice begins, so transfers and things could happen, so it's just a guess at this point.

Gatekeeper. I think you have a good starting point. How it ends up? The Sals play 6 of your top 10 teams. I see that they still have an open date in week #4. I am just marking time until the DE HS FB season begins....

I'm going on record and you can quote me, print it in the paper and put it on a t shirt lol. Woodbridge Blue Raiders will play for the D2 state title. They are LOADED. Sophomore lefty QB will do some big things this upcoming season. Had 2 backs rush for a 1000 each. The leading rusher is returning and will be ready to carry the load. They played 10 or more freshmen on the varsity level last season and did I mention they are LOADED. Manlove leaves much to be desired on offense but he has the weapons to hang 50 every Friday night.

my rankings for D2 are

1) Caravel
2) St Georges
3) Glasgow
4)friends
5)Lake
6) woodbridge
7)Tatnall
8) DMA
9)Archmere
10)Howard

Wrestle,

Caravel and Glasgow were heavy with underclassmen. They both return 90% of their players. Glasgow will be very strong. Caravel as well. I saw both scrimmage each other and it was even. My believe they are both top 5 if not 1 and 2. I am an 85 ghigh grad. I know the head coach and some other coaches very well. They are excited for this year bc with a team comprised of many freshmen and sophomore starters, they were very competitive. Maybe should have been 8-2. Up late on 3 teams but let games slip away (lake, howard, mckean). Alot was due to youth and inexperience. You started the thread. Just curious about your top 10?

Last edited:
Wrestle,

Caravel and Glasgow were heavy with underclassmen. They both return 90% of their players. Glasgow will be very strong. Caravel as well. I saw both scrimmage each other and it was even. My believe they are both top 5 if not 1 and 2. I am an 85 ghigh grad. I know the head coach and some other coaches very well. They are excited for this year bc with a team comprised of many freshmen and sophomore starters, they were very competitive. Maybe should have been 8-2. Up late on 3 teams but let games slip away (lake, howard, mckean). Alot was due to youth and inexperience. You started the thread. Just curious about your top 10?
D1.
1. Smyrna
2. Concord
3. Middletown
4. Sallies
5. Penn
6. Tech
7. Central
8. Mount
9. Cape
10. Dover
D2.
1. Caravel
2. Friends
3. Woodbridge
4. St. Georges
5. Howard
6. Friends
7. DMA
8. Hodgson
9. Tatnall
10. Glasgow

1. Smyrna
2. Sallies
3. Mtown
4. Concord
5. Penn
6. Sussex Central
7. Sussex Tech
8. Appo
9. Mount
10. Dover

1. Howard
2. St. Georges
3. Woodbridge
4. Caravel
5. Friends
6. DMA
6. St Marks
7. Glasgow
8. Delmar
9. Milford
10. Hodgson

I'm going on record and you can quote me, print it in the paper and put it on a t shirt lol. Woodbridge Blue Raiders will play for the D2 state title. They are LOADED. Sophomore lefty QB will do some big things this upcoming season. Had 2 backs rush for a 1000 each. The leading rusher is returning and will be ready to carry the load. They played 10 or more freshmen on the varsity level last season and did I mention they are LOADED. Manlove leaves much to be desired on offense but he has the weapons to hang 50 every Friday night.

I like the pick of Woodbridge, that'll be a trendy one next year I am thinking. The QB Haynes could be the real deal down the road and they have a lot of returning skill and defensive starters and two all-staters I believe who should make them very tough.

I don't like that hate on Manlove. Where's the Love (no pun intended)? If you think about it, the guy has done nothing but awesome things at Woodbridge, especially recently. Two of the last three years they have reached the state semifinals. Tall task for such a small school. That staff does a great job with what they have, and Manlove has changed things up a great deal offensively, so I don't know what is left to be desired. He's spread things out in recent years and does much more than his old-school ground and pound attack.

Reactions: DefensiveChaos50
No hate for Manlove I respect what he does I just think he didn't use the weapons he had at his disposal. He simply ran toss and blast all year with an occasional 1 receiver route with #21. Had a tight end that he NEVER used and he didn't put his speed on field at same time. Those 2 backs would have been a nightmare for a D coordinator of on the field at the same time. No misdirection on O this season. His offense this season was VANILLA. Would have loved to see his spread that he used with Wescott.

He has one of the top feeder pop warner programs in the state. Those pop warner coaches do an AMAZING job developing those kids. They play PHYSICAL from age 5-18.

I respect what he has done at such a small school. It's great for the state when school like Woodbridge are capable of rising up.

Not sure I am ready to go that far, I think they will be improved over last year for sure but I still have concerns over size and depth on the lines... With a new OC coming in hopefully they will get some consistency and identity in what they are trying to do offensively..

And who might that be?

Not sure how Delmar could be put on any list, they only won 1 game last year and that was vs Seaford. Lake will be an interesting team though, heard they lose over 15 starters on offense/defense. If Freddie stays I think they will end up in the top 10 just because his system has proven to work in the South. Now if he leaves and possibly gets that Dover job, then who knows?!? Woodbridge's QB (Haynes) is coming off a torn ACL, I'm pretty sure, so that could possibly hurt them at the beginning of the season. I think Milford has a young team coming back from this past season and they won 6 games in their first season with a new head coach. As always though, nobody knows how the South will turn out until late October.

Just to clarify, it was the Woodbridge junior QB Holden that hurt his knee early in the 2015 season. Haynes, the freshman, stepped in to finish the year. Holden should be back for 2016, position to be determined. Haynes will be fun to watch next year and am guessing that the playbook may open a bit wider as he matures and gets stronger. Team could be scary good if all those freshmen keep progressing, and they get continued strong production from this year's juniors.

Not sure how I omitted Woodbridge from my D2 top 10 considering the 2015 they had. I'll have to be on the lookout for them next fall.

Haynes didn't tear anything. That was Holden but he will be back. Holden could be very dangerous in the slot.

Delmar lost a lot of close games last year. With the staff they have and the system they run they will be in it.

To me Delmar's growing pains as a team can be summed up in the blocked kick/turned game-losing touchdown against Lake. A young team makes that kind of mistake, one you learn from. They'll be better based on the experience of 2015's struggles alone.

Based on who would be returning from memory, I've got:

D1

1. Smyrna
2. Sallies
3. Middletown
4. Concord
5. Penn
6. Cape
7. Sussex Tech
8. A.I.
9. CR
10. Sussex Central

D2

1. Caravel
2. St. Georges
3. Friends
4. Glasgow
6. Howard
7. St. Mark's
8. Tatnall
9. DMA
10. Delmar

I heard a lot ECA kids are going to St E if so I'm surprised they are in nobody's top 10

Just to clarify, it was the Woodbridge junior QB Holden that hurt his knee early in the 2015 season. Haynes, the freshman, stepped in to finish the year. Holden should be back for 2016, position to be determined. Haynes will be fun to watch next year and am guessing that the playbook may open a bit wider as he matures and gets stronger. Team could be scary good if all those freshmen keep progressing, and they get continued strong production from this year's juniors.

My apologies on the wrong QB getting hurt. I was told last year by 1 of Woodbridge's coaches that it was the first time in a VERY long time that every football player from the Middle school came to the HS. They lose so much talent to Sussex Tech every year that it's disgusting! Good for them to keep those kids, because they have a power house middle school team. They actually just had a former player sign with Arkansas State as well, Dajon Emory....

D2
  1. St. Georges
  2. Glasgow
  3. Howard
  4. Tower Hill
  5. St. Marks
  6. Caravel
  7. DMA
  8. Lake
  9. Hodgson
  10. Friends
I don't understand why Tower Hill is not in the rankings. Looking forward to dominant year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT