ADVERTISEMENT

Handy vs Moyer States

The common denominator here is a Smyrna Senior wrestler gets in and another kid does not. Pretty simple to understand, it's Delaware wrestling. It's how it's done. Seen it over the years with Smyrna and CR.
Dont expect it to change anytime soon. They have the political pull in this sport. It's a shame the DIAA, and the State Wrestling Committe don't have the ethical commitment to make the right calls. It's just the way it is.

Unethical, you bet. A.I. Knows the rules and has all the connections. The SWC is a joke. Down State Politics at it best. 8 from the Henelopen is a joke at this weight class.
Back to the original post, the differance here is Smyrna was on top of it from the very beginning right after the match, got things changed up. Clearly knowing how to work things in their favor. It's kinda tough to change things up a few days later. Mayo got screwd over big time and everyone knows it.
Who would you put in at 220 from the Indy or BHC over the Henlopen #8?

Reactions: 5swipes
I'd rather have a bye or a lesser wrestler. I don't know anything about the kids that were up for the bids upstate but I'll take them. I know we only wrestled to 8 so we didn't know who would be our 9.

He said 8 from the Henlopen is a joke.
No this is not the first time a wrestler has been tossed and then competed at states. In the past they forfeited their first round match.

I just don't know what the factors are anymore. As stated earlier I have seen numerous wrestlers get seeded lower even off of common opponents and winning when then other wrestler lost

Another example is at HWT. Cartwright from st marks is a good wrestler, but he lost to both the CR and ST kid. Yet he ended up getting the 2nd seed and got seeded ahead of both wrestlers...I don't know how when head to heads he lost. Now, IMO, you have the 2 best wrestlers wrestling in the semis

I just don't know what the factors are anymore. As stated earlier I have seen numerous wrestlers get seeded lower even off of common opponents and winning when then other wrestler lost

Another example is at HWT. Cartwright from st marks is a good wrestler, but he lost to both the CR and ST kid. Yet he ended up getting the 2nd seed and got seeded ahead of both wrestlers...I don't know how when head to heads he lost. Now, IMO, you have the 2 best wrestlers wrestling in the semis
I never even looked at heavyweight until now. I can't believe that seeding. St marks still has Juice with the committee?

Reactions: ColonialGrad
Benny in your initial quote of mine you responded to you ask about the top 8.
My comment you quoted was 138, Mayo not going is a joke. That's the first paragraph. The second paragraph says back to the original post, I really have know idea about 220, in this respect.

I guess. And I am an up north guy and love Willis, their coach and the kid cartwright. I just want to see two things;

Fairness
Consistency

I don't care what conference it is, but if a kid is getti bff seeded aheadnofnother wrestlers when they shouldn't be, it is wrong, plain and simple.

Reactions: pinemagain
I do not disagree that there can be some changes made to better this seeding criteria set in place however, it states, that conference finish is the biggest determine factor in the seeding process. Of course based on the flow of that match Mayo is more deserving than the AI kid. If the AI kid can not be seeded over the top 8 Henlopen Kids then thats how it falls. It is very unfortunate that it happened but thats how the seeding works.

On the point of Moyer and Handy. Moyer was a second unsportsmanlike which is a disqualification in the rule book. It also took place after the match. Handy's happened in a match and was deemed a flagrant. That is the difference between the two. I have no comment on what is right and wrong about allowing Moyer to go to states and not Handy. However, IF YOU LOOK IN THE NFHS HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING RULE BOOK, that is the difference here with Moyer and Handy. I will not agree or disagree on favoritism but the way the rule is written in the rule book that is why one can wrestle this weekend (after forfeiting his first match) and one can not.

Reactions: concord87
About the original post, my real name had it right in the second post. Smyrna has more pull with the DIAA and the Committee. Plain and simple, just the way it is and has always been. Their kid gets in, refs original decision will never be known, or how it was overturned, it's the Delaware way.

The Mayo situation points out major flaws in the current system. The commitee took about zero time to think out the bracket seeds. 8 from henelopen really? Pure and simple favoritism, down state politics.
A.I. Don't let them fool you. Just because they bowed out of the state tournament. Win at all costs is the motive over there. Seen it this year more than once. Did the kid stay down after the slam? Yup, sure did. Cheap way to get a win. It's not the first time I've seen it over the years. Loose a match to get on the better side of the bracket, it happens.

Let's get a Mayo thread started as this is getting lost in the Moyer, Handy thread, it's a little off topic.
You people are all NUTS!!!!

The common denominator here is a Smyrna Senior wrestler gets in and another kid does not. Pretty simple to understand, it's Delaware wrestling. It's how it's done. Seen it over the years with Smyrna and CR.
Dont expect it to change anytime soon. They have the political pull in this sport. It's a shame the DIAA, and the State Wrestling Committe don't have the ethical commitment to make the right calls. It's just the way it is.
That’s a bs statement. It was truly a crap call open your eyes people Moyer deserves to be in. Please just to put things in perspective a lot of CR and Smyrna kids have been wrestling at some capacity since elementary school at some it’s not that people from there are shown favoritism they really have better wrestlers generally speaking. Not all cases but most. Stop being a hater

Last edited:
Thats the exact attitude that pissed me off "CR and Smyrna kids have been wrestling since elementary school". They are so elite. You are a clueless. There are countless upstate kids that have done the same. Lets bend all the rules for the elite south.

That’s a bs statement. It was truly a crap call open your eyes people Moyer deserves to be in. Please just to put things in perspective a lot of CR and Smyrna kids have been wrestling at some capacity since elementary school at some it’s not that people from there are shown favoritism they really have better wrestlers generally speaking. Not all cases but most. Stop being a hater
It's not a BS statement it's a factual statement.
As for Meyers call being good or bad I have no idea.
I've been around Delaware wrestling for long enough to see the bias from upstate and down state. Been to more Team Delaware practices up and down the state over the years than I care to remember. I've seen more stuff done than I would put on here. Most situations revolve around down state kids getting preferential treatment by Smyrna and CR coaches. Upstate kids getting screwed along the way you bet. I could name names and situations but that would not be fair to the kids who are now young men. Just a fact of life.
The exception to my statements above was the coaching staff at SC. They were always standup coaches and I thank them for that.

Reactions: Dahammer23
Thats the exact attitude that pissed me off "CR and Smyrna kids have been wrestling since elementary school". They are so elite. You are a clueless. There are countless upstate kids that have done the same. Lets bend all the rules for the elite south.
If they have been wrestling that long then it shouldn’t be a issue qualifying. It’s really not that tough to qualify

Reactions: Takestime
Great comment if you take bout the fact that the Mount kid who didnt make the tournament Teched the Henlopen kid who's in the tournament.

Reactions: myrealname

Cartwright beat CR 3-2 at Howdy Duncan. Who are the two best wrestling in the semis?

Then he should have had no problem qualifying in the BH tournament, right?
Have you read what happened to him or can you just not comprehend it? Maybe someone can explain it slower for ya lolz. It doesn't sound like his ability was the issue at hand.

Cartwright beat CR 3-2 at Howdy Duncan. Who are the two best wrestling in the semis?
Ok I do know what happened here because a friend who was upset about Shirmer told me. Because the st m kid beat CR, jamie couldn't get seeded until CR did and CR couldn't get seeded until st marks did. This new ranking thing doesn't seem to be doing what it is supposed to do. Even though st m beat CR at William pennshe said he also finished 5th or 6th behind two other kids that he's now seeded above. Doesn't sound right.

Reactions: concord87
Ok I do know what happened here because a friend who was upset about Shirmer told me. Because the st m kid beat CR, jamie couldn't get seeded until CR did and CR couldn't get seeded until st marks did. This new ranking thing doesn't seem to be doing what it is supposed to do. Even though st m beat CR at William pennshe said he also finished 5th or 6th behind two other kids that he's now seeded above. Doesn't sound right.
F-ing wahhhh. At least they get to wrestle. Mayo beat 6 kids in the tournament and is better than 10.
Fix it Lex!

F-ing wahhhh. At least they get to wrestle. Mayo beat 6 kids in the tournament and is better than 10.
Fix it Lex!
May wanna chill because people are trying to help but publicly bashing the committee members isn't helping. Trust me when I say the Kyle has people on his side that are trying to get them to do the right thing and get this fixed. Will they? No idea but I'm hopeful they will. If not then scream from the top of whatever mountain you want but let's give them a shot to right a wrong.

Reactions: 84rider
Yes I think that's exactly what happened.

Let us not forget that there was a 3rd incident that no one is talking about.
In reference to the following:
An athlete shall not strike an official, opponent, coach, or spectator or display gross misconduct before, during, or after an athletic event.

A wrestler from the host school punched a spectator in the side of the head after a verbal confrontation in the hallway that was initiated by the wrestler. He then confessed to the officer that took the assault complaint that he did in fact punch the spectator and didn't care about the consequences. This young man was not only allowed to continue in the tournament and, though he didn't receive one of the automatic bids, was seeded by the committee.

To sum up the weekend's events:

1) Athlete 1 drops an f-bomb out of frustration with himself not directed at his opponent (this time) or the official: Career over

2) Athlete 2 uses colorful language after launching his headgear that, on an amusing side note, flew threw the air and struck his coach in the privates. The language was directed at the official: Must sit out the first round of the states (according to the DIAA by-laws also is banned from participating in or being present at any event related activities prior to the round including weigh-ins (not sure how DIAA is going to get around that)) But may wrestle in the consolations.

3) Athlete 3 is accused of, charged with, and confessed to assault of a fan during the event. No consequences whatsoever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT