ADVERTISEMENT

Tourney might not happen??? (At the Bob)

Roddav3557

Getting reps on JV
Mar 20, 2017
Rumor has it that UD does not want to host the Chip because of the virus. Or they may decide to play them without any spectators. Or they may try to find another location.
What are your thoughts???

Are you talking about Covid-19? No one in Delaware has been diagnosed with that.

How convenient this is right after many tix were purchased at the schools today (at Dover at least)...smh

I wonder if the 87ers would allow a large gathering at this point. UCLA and Stanford joining the colleges banning sporting event attendance, and the Ivy League canceled its tournaments. Big West is banning spectators.

Reactions: Dropping 3's
Dover playing at home seems unfair. Appo and Sanford at St marks seems reasonable.
I gotta agree...How does one team out of the final 4 get a home game.

Dover wins the Conference Championship at Dover this year, beats Seaford in the 2nd Round at home, beats Sallies at home in the quarterfinals & now gets St. Andrew’s at home in the semis. Man the chips are really falling their way.

I was thinking Smyrna would have been a reasonable neutral site for the St. Andrew’s/Dover game but DIAA probably doesn’t care about that & is simply attempting to maximize the profit since Dover seats more.

Reactions: Dropping 3's
I’m hearing the girls are playing on the same night as the boys. Not cool at all as the girls game will now have a light crowd. Should have left the girls on Wednesday! Sanford boys and girls play at the same time on Thursday. Students will likely support the boys I’m sure. Disappointing....

Reactions: Sports_Fan72
Cape is biggest gym in State by far.. Boys final 4 there and Girls final 4 at Dover.. That should been easy fix..smh.. DIAA no better..

Supposedly Dover seats more than any gym in DE outside of UD.

Hoops you gotta remember Cape doesn’t have bleachers at both ends. I remember reading an article that stated Dover had the 2nd largest gym seating capacity with the Bob being 1st. This is why Diaa uses the Dover gym for everything.

Does anyone besides me find it interesting that it's been declared unsafe to hold these games in a facility that is relatively spacious for a Delaware high school basketball game only to move the games to gyms where the fans (and their germs) will be piled on top of each other like sardines?

As folks have said, it all boils down to the University's decision. I am sure that their attorneys have made this a liability issue for them.

I wonder if before you enter the games DIAA makes you sign a waiver that you acknowledge that they are not responsible if you get the Coronavirus? (and that comment is made seriously...)

Reactions: who_u_wit
Does anyone besides me find it interesting that it's been declared unsafe to hold these games in a facility that is relatively spacious for a Delaware high school basketball game only to move the games to gyms where the fans (and their germs) will be piled on top of each other like sardines?
Well the decision was made by UD not DIAA. UD has no reason to care where they decide to hold games moving forward

I wonder what would have happened if St. Andrew’s would have boycotted having the game at Dover High. Would DIAA be willing to take that hit...let’s say Dover seats 2,000 people times $6/ticket being charged for $12,000, not to mention all the refunds for the presale tix they are going to have to issue. OR would they move the game to a fair, neutral site like Smyrna & make what they can filling that gym. I like Dover to win the game no matter where it is played, but that unfair advantage of a home game in the Final 4 just doesn’t seem right playing against the small private school that is St. Andrew’s.

I wonder what would have happened if St. Andrew’s would have boycotted having the game at Dover High. Would DIAA be willing to take that hit...let’s say Dover seats 2,000 people times $6/ticket being charged for $12,000, not to mention all the refunds for the presale tix they are going to have to issue. OR would they move the game to a fair, neutral site like Smyrna & make what they can filling that gym. I like Dover to win the game no matter where it is played, but that unfair advantage of a home game in the Final 4 just doesn’t seem right playing against the small private school that is St. Andrew’s.
I don't think home games are fair at this stage, but I wonder if neutral sites were the preferred option and host schools could not be found. It's possible some schools are not available or do not want to host an event with that many people.

With the weather as nice as it's been, maybe a court could have been put together in the middle of Delaware Stadium, and fans could have watched there.

Reactions: Southernbball1
St. Andrew's would never "boycott" a game because of its site.
The Saints have always been good neighbors, and are glad to make the semifinals for the first time.

Diaa just released semi schedules. Except Appo/Sanford (at STM). Home games fir lower seed in both boys and girls. Finals not yet announced.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT