Date: Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 10:08 PM
Subject: Indiana Wrestling: No. 22 Indiana Doubles Maryland, 26-13
To: "nbreith@indiana.edu" <nbreith@indiana.edu>

No. 22 Indiana Doubles Maryland, 26-13

Trio of Hoosiers acquire their first Big Ten dual wins

Dual Results

Photo Gallery

January 15, 2015

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The Indiana wrestling team took seven of the 10 bouts in a 26-13 dual win over the Maryland Terrapins. Three Hoosier underclassmen—Cole Weaver(141), Bryce Martin (165), and Jake Masengale (197)—earned their fist Big Ten dual wins of their young collegiate careers.

"It was a hard-fought victory," said Indiana head coach Duane Goldman. "There were a lot of matches that stretched into overtime, or came right down to the end, but we knew it would be like that going in. We expected a dogfight, and we were in one."

INDIANA vs. MARYLAND • Bloomington, Ind.
January 15, 2016 • University Gymnsaium
Final Results: Indiana vs. Maryland
Weight
Indiana Hoosiers Record Result Maryland Terrapins Record
Score
26 (5-1, 2-1) 13 (4-7, 1-4)
Elijah Oliver, Fr. * 22-4 (5-1) FALL 2:01 Mike Beck, r-Fr. 3-5 (0-2)
133 Alonzo Shepherd, Sr. 11-11 (3-3) MD, 9-0 #13 Geoffrey Alexander, r-Sr. * 6-1 (3-0)
141 Cole Weaver, r-Fr. * 17-10 (4-2) D, 8-3 Alfred Bannister, r-Fr. 7-6 (4-5)
149 Luke Blanton, r-So. * 15-7 (4-1) TB, 9-4 Wade Hodges, Fr. 4-6 (1-6)
157 Jake Danishek, r-Fr. 11-5 (3-3) D, 8-7 #19 Lou Mascola, r-Sr. * 13-3 (9-1)
165 Bryce Martin, r-Fr. * 16-11 (3-3) SV-1, 7-5 Brendan Burnham, Fr. 6-7 (4-4)
174 #6 Nate Jackson, r-Jr. * 23-2 (6-0) TF, 23-8 Josh Snook, r-Sr. 5-8 (1-5)
184 Wyatt Wilson, r-So. 5-9 (0-1) FALL 6:01 Jaron Smith, Fr. * 9-8 (5-2)
197 ** Jake Masengale, r-So. * 7-12 (2-4) SV-1 5-3 Garret Wesneski, r-Fr. 6-9 (3-6)
285 Garret Goldman, r-Sr. * 12-10 (4-2) D, 3-2 Youssif Hemida, Fr. 6-11 (1-6)
* denotes match winner
** denotes starting point of the dual

Masengale got the Hoosiers on the scoreboard early with a sudden-victory win at 197 lbs. The sophomore trailed 1-0 at the end of the second period, but recorded an escape and a takedown to take the lead. His opponent, Garret Wesneski, tied it up in the final seconds of the third period, but Masengale executed the final blow in sudden—victory.

The Hoosiers followed with two more wins, and a 12-0 lead, in the heavyweight and 125 lbs. bouts. Garret Goldman emerged on top of a 3-2 decision for his second consecutive Big Ten win. Elijah Oliverrebounded from his defeat against Penn State's No. 4 Nico Megaludis with a quick two-minute pin against Maryland's Mike Beck.

"That loss made me realize a lot of things," Oliver said. "I'm still learning, and still progressing, and I know what it will take to bring it to a guy like that next time around."

Cole Weaver came through with another come-from-behind victory for Indiana at 141 lbs. The freshman trailed 3-1 with 90 seconds remaining in the match, then surged with seven unanswered points before the final buzzer.

Luke Blanton followed with an inspiring tiebreaker victory in the dual's sixth bout. He trailed 4-1 heading into the third round, but a stall point in his favor and a quick reversal tied the bout with 50 seconds remaining. Blanton kept Maryland's Wade Hodges on the mat, shaved Hodges' minute of riding time, and prevented a last-second escape attempt.

Blanton went on to win the bout with five unanswered points in the tiebreaker period.

"Luke Blanton is always gutsy," Goldman said. "I'm a huge Luke Blanton fan. He's got a lot of courage and he's a great competitor, and I had a lot of confidence in him in that match."

Bryce Martin collected his first career Big Ten Dual win, a 7-5 sudden-victory win over Maryland's Brendan Burnham. Like Masengale, Weaver, and Blanton, Martin came from behind with a charge late in the third period, then secured the finalizing takedown.

Sixth-ranked Nate Jackson put in another workmanlike performance to seal the dual win for Indiana. The Hoosier junior piled on the points for a 23-8 tech fall, his fifth this season, over Maryland's Josh Snook. Jackson is unbeaten against Big Ten competition in his 2015-16 campaign.

The win gives Indiana their second Big Ten dual win for the first time since the 2009-10 season. While an individual sport by nature, the Hoosiers believe they've found a lot of their success through their team chemistry.

"These guys go through blood, sweat, and tears together, and they're a close unit," Goldman said when asked about the galvanization of the team this season. "They compete hard not just to win, but also for their teammates. They believe in each other, and it makes a big difference. It's been very rewarding so far."

Up Next: No. 22 Indiana (5-1, 2-1 Big Ten) vs. Michigan State (0-9, 0-4 Big Ten)
Friday, January 22 | 7PM | Big Ten Network
East Lansing, Mich. | Jenison Field House

The Hoosiers' will hit the road next weekend for the second time in dual competition this season, and their first road trip since their win over Minnesota. The matchup will be hard-fought for the Hoosiers, as the Spartans are seeking their first dual win of the season.

"They have a lot of great individual talent on that team," Goldman said. "They have tough competitors, and we can't overlook them. We have to look at what's right in front of us and be ready to go."--
Nick Reith
Media Relations Assistant
Indiana University Athletics
Primary Contact: Field Hockey,
Wrestling, Water Polo
C: 317-371-6079
Email: nbreith@indiana.edu

Card Storms Past Utah Valley
Courtesy: Stanford Athletics
Release: 01/15/2016

Card Storms Past Utah Valley - GoStanford.com - Stanford University
www.gostanford.com
Stanford defeated the Wolverines 37-5

STANFORD, Calif. - Winning nine of the 10 bouts, the 16th-ranked Stanford wrestling team dominated Utah Valley, 37-5, Friday at Burnham Pavilion in Stanford, California. The Cardinal moves to 6-2 on the year, while the Wolverines drop to 3-4 overall.
Redshirt sophomore Nathan Butler set the tone for the Cardinal with a 2-0 decision over Dustin Dennison at heavyweight. After no score in the opening period, Butler rode out Dennison in the second and picked up the escape in the third for the win. He moves to 18-4 on the season and 5-1 in duals.
In the most anticipated match-up of the evening, Stanford's Connor Schram, ranked 20th nationally, pulled out a 3-1 sudden victory over 18th-ranked Chasen Tolbert at 125 pounds. Tied 1-1 heading into overtime, Schram scored a takedown in seven seconds for his 12th win of the season, and his first over a ranked opponent.
Utah Valley cut the Stanford lead to 6-5 as Jade Rauser recorded a 20-1 technical fall over junior Eric Cramer in 4:30 at 133 pounds.
True freshman Joey McKenna, ranked second in the nation, improved to 13-1 on the year and 5-0 in duals with a 14-0 major decision over Jarod Maynes at 141 pounds. The Towaco, New Jersey native tallied two takedowns, eight nearfall points, an escape and 3:19 of riding time in the win.
Redshirt freshman Paul Fox increased the Stanford lead to 14-5 with a 15-3 major decision over Matthew Ontiveros at 149 pounds. He posted two takedowns, a reversal, eight nearfall points and 2:38 of riding time for the victory. He paces the team in wins this season with 22.
The team score jumped to 23-5 as redshirt freshman Walker Dempsey notched a 7-3 decision over Raider Lofthouse at 157 pounds and 12th-ranked Jim Wilson received a forfeit win. Dempsey is now 4-6 on the year, while Wilson improves to 16-4.
Redshirt junior Peter Galli then registered a 16-0 technical fall in 3:49 over Ross Taylor at 174 pounds. He led 14-0 after the first period and tallied an escape in the second for his second technical fall of the season. He is now 12-8 overall and 4-0 in duals.
Redshirt sophomore Garet Krohn got in on the action with a 10-2 major decision over Will Sumner at 184 pounds. It was his first major decision of the season as he moved to 10-4 overall and 1-1 in duals.
Senior Micahel Sojka capped off the scoring with a 17-0 technical fall of his own, defeating Aryton Almberg at 197 pounds. Sojka is now 11-5 on the year and 4-2 in duals.
Stanford will be back on the mat Saturday, Jan. 16 as it hosts Duke. The Cardinal and Blue Devils square off at 1 p.m. PT in Burnham Pavilion. Admission is free.
No. 16 Stanford 37, Utah Valley 5

Weight
Participants
Score
Nathan Butler (S) dec. Dustin Dennison (U)
2-0
#20 Connor Schram (S) dec. #18 Chasen Tolbert (U)
3-1 (SV)
Jade Rauser (U) tech. fall Eric Cramer (S)
20-1 (4:30)
#2 Joey McKenna (S) maj. dec. Jarod Maynes (U)
14-0
Paul Fox (S) maj. dec. Matthrew Ontiveros (U)
15-3
Walker Dempsey (S) dec. Raider Lofthouse (U)
7-3
#12 Jim Wilson (S) won by forfeit
FF
Peter Galli (S) tech. fall Ross Taylor (U)
16-0 (3:49)
Garet Krohn (S) maj. dec. Will Sumner (U)
10-2
Michael Sojka (S) tech. fall Aryton Almberg (U)
17-0

#gostanford

Regina Verlengiere

Assistant Director, Athletics Communications

Women's Volleyball, Wrestling, Men's Volleyball

641 E. Campus Dr.

Stanford, CA 94305

650-723-0996 (O)

taylor.miller11@okstate.edu)

Cowboy Wrestling Dominates Mountaineers in Morgantown, 38-3

MORGANTOWN, W.V. – Oklahoma State’s wrestling team, ranked No. 5 in the nation, improved to 5-2 on the season on Friday night as they stormed past No. 24 West Virginia at the WVU Coliseum, 38-3.

“It was a good effort tonight from start to finish,” coach John Smith said. “We wrestled some complete matches, and that’s what you hope to see. We were scoring not only on takedowns but also on nearfalls and hard rides. We did a good job of getting off bottom.”

The dual began with a key matchup where All-American and fifth-ranked Eddie Klimara did not surrender a single point to 2015 NCAA runner-up and No. 12 Zeke Moisey. Klimara opened the match with a takedown and rode out Mosiey for the remainder of the period. The second period saw Klimara pick up an escape and a takedown. His riding time advantage gave him a 6-0 win over Moisey.

“Going into my match I thought to myself, ‘just attack and put pressure on him,’” Klimara said. “It was nice avenging my loss to him at NCAAs, but I'm looking for more and want to continue with strong performances.”

At 133 pounds, Gary Wayne Harding came back into the lineup for the Pokes, facing Oklahoma City native Keegan Moore. Harding found himself in trouble as Moore had a snake locked up tight, almost putting the Cowboy to his back, but Harding fought hard, not giving up any points and getting the takedown to open scoring. In the second period, Harding reversed Moore and started piling on the points. Harding led Moore 12-0 before the match was ended with an injury default by Moore, giving the Cowboys six points.

Top-ranked Dean Heil picked up a technical fall for the Pokes with a 17-2 win over Tony DeAngelo at 141 pounds. It was the second time this season the two met up, with Heil taking a 3-2 win in their last meeting. The Cowboy took down the Mountaineer four times and earned two sets of back points en route to his dominating win.

At 149 pounds, Anthony Collica followed Heil’s lead, earning his own tech fall over Zachary Moore. The Cowboy earned an astounding 11 takedowns and gave up eight points only on escapes. With the 23-8 win, Collica improved to 15-5 on the season.

True freshman Joe Smith made his varsity debut on Friday night. Ranked No. 7 in the nation, the Cowboy took on No. 13 Dylan Cottrell at 157 pounds. The Mountaineer struck first with a takedown, but Smith tallied an escape and later a takedown to carry a 3-2 lead into the second period. Smith separated the score in the second with a reversal and a four-point nearfall. He picked up a takedown in the third to seal his win over the 13th-ranked wrestler, 11-4, just one point shy of a major decision.

“It was a good start for Joseph,” John Smith said. “He wrestled one of their better wrestlers. Joe wasn’t perfect, but he was awfully scrappy out there. He picked up some nearfall points as well so it was a good match for him.”

Alex Dieringer continues to work his way up in the Oklahoma State history books as he picked up his 65th-consecutive win, putting him tied for fourth-best win streak in school history with Alan Fried. Dieringer had an exciting match that lasted only 2:39 as he scored 16 points to earn a win by tech fall over Connor Flynn.

“I got the tech for the team, which is the kind of match I'm looking for but I need to keep working on moving my hands more and when I do that my feet will come along with it. I'm going to really focus on that for my match coming up,” Dieringer said. “It was a good win for the team to have on the road. We had a lot of bonus-point matches, and that's what you want to see out of a team contending for a title. I’m proud of the boys but we can always do better. Time to prep for Pitt and go out there and see even more improvement.”

The bonus points kept coming as Kyle Crutchmer, ranked No. 3 at 174 pounds, earned a 12-4 major decision over Ross Renzi. Crutchmer came out strong, tallying two takedowns and a stalling point in the first period. He went on to pick up two more takedowns in the third period, in addition to an escape and another stalling point en route to his fifth bonus-point win of the season.

Nolan Boyd came up just short of a major decision at 184 pounds, but still put on a strong performance, defeating Bubba Scheffel, 11-4. Scheffel took down Boyd in the first period, but the Cowboy quickly responded with a reversal to tie it up, 2-2, at the end of the first period. Boyd earned one takedown in the second period and two more in the third period. He sits at 16-6 on the season.

At 197 pounds, redshirt freshman Preston Weigel also stepped into the lineup for the Pokes for the first time, facing No. 7 Jake A. Smith. After a scoreless first period, Weigel put up a solid ride, racking up 1:27 of riding time before Smith notched an escape to open scoring. In the third period, Weigel picked up an escape of his own to tie it up; however Weigel was hit with stalling with 30 seconds remaining in the match to give Smith a 2-1 advantage. Weigel’s riding time took the match to sudden victory, where Smith earned the takedown and the Mountaineer’s only win of the night.

Senior Austin Marsden rounded out the night for the Cowboys with a shutout victory over AJ Vizcarrondo. The Cowboy, ranked No. 5, picked up a takedown in the first period and tilted the Mountaineer for a two-point nearfall. He later earned an escape and a takedown along with a riding time point to win by an 8-0 major decision.

The Cowboys will be back in action on in Pittsburgh, Pa., on Sunday at 11 a.m. CT as they face No. 18 Pittsburgh.

No. 5 Oklahoma State 38, No. 12 West Virginia 3Jan. 15, 2016 :: Morgantown, W.V. (WVU Coliseum) :: Attendance – 946

125: No. 5 Eddie Klimara (OSU) dec. No. 12 Zeke Moisey (WVU), 6-0
133: Gary Wayne Harding (OSU) wins by injury default over Keegan Moore (WVU)
141: No. 1 Dean Heil (OSU) TF5 Tony DeAngelo (WVU), 17-2; 7:00
149: No. 16 Anthony Collica (OSU) TF5 Zachary Moore (WVU), 23-8; 6:35
157: No. 7 Joe Smith (OSU) dec. No. 13 Dylan Cottrell (WVU), 11-4
165: No. 1 Alex Dieringer (OSU) TF5 Connor Flynn (WVU), 16-1; 2:39
174: No. 3 Kyle Crutchmer (OSU) MD Ross Renzi (WVU), 12-4
184: No. 19 Nolan Boyd (OSU) dec. Bubba Scheffel (WVU), 11-4
197: No. 7 Jake A. Smith (WVU) dec. Preston Weigel (OSU), 4-2 SV1
285: No. 5 Austin Marsden (OSU) MD AJ Vizcarrondo (WVU), 8-0

GREELEY, Colo. – Three South Dakota State wrestlers won by technical fall, leading the Jackrabbits to a 34-3 dual victory over Northern Colorado Friday night at Bank of Colorado Arena. The win also marked the program’s first victory in a Big 12 Conference dual.

With their fifth consecutive dual win, the Jackrabbits improved to 6-5 overall and 1-1 against Big 12 Conference opposition. Northern Colorado fell to 1-3 in duals, including 0-2 versus Big 12 foes.

Senior 125-pounder Ben Gillette got SDSU out to a fast start, recording an 18-3 technical fall win over Jesse Reed. Brance Simms, ranked 18th, followed with a 6-4 come-from-behind decision over Rico Montoya at 133 pounds and Seth Gross ran the Jackrabbit advantage to 12-0 with a 9-1 major decision in the 141-pound weight class.

UNC’s lone win of the night came at 149 pounds, where Timmy Box tallied a 16-12 decision over Alex Kocer.

The Jackrabbits reeled off wins in the next six matches to close out the dual. Sixth-ranked Cody Pack and Luke Zilverberg won their respective matches by decision at 157 and 165 pounds, while David Kocer and Brady Ayers notched back-to-back wins by technical fall. David Kocer defeated Tanner Davis, 21-4, at 174 pounds, while Ayers scored a 25-10 victory over Horacio Vialpando in the 184-pound bout.

In a matchup between a pair of ranked wrestlers, the Jackrabbits’ 14th-ranked Nate Rotert turned in a 9-5 decision over 17th-ranked Trent Noon.

SDSU heavyweight Alex Macki completed the Jackrabbit effort with a hard-fought, 4-2 overtime victory against Jack Kuck.

The Jackrabbits return to action next Friday (Jan. 22), hosting a triangular with Southern Illinois-Edwardsville and Bakersfield. SDSU will square off with SIU-E at 5 p.m., followed by its matchup with Bakersfield. SIU-E and Bakersfield open the day’s action at 3 p.m. at Frost Arena.

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 34, NORTHERN COLORADO 3125: Ben Gillette (SDSU) tech. fall Jesse Reed (UNC), 18-3
133: #18 Brance Simms (SDSU) dec. Rico Montoya (UNC), 6-4
141: Seth Gross (SDSU) major dec. Colton Orrino (UNC), 9-1
149: Timmy Box (UNC) dec. Alex Kocer (SDSU), 16-12
157: #6 Cody Pack (SDSU) dec. Joseph Grable (UNC), 9-3
165: Luke Zilverberg (SDSU) dec. Keilan Torres (UNC), 7-4
174: David Kocer (SDSU) tech. fall Tanner Davis (UNC), 21-4
184: Brady Ayers (SDSU) tech. fall Horacio Vialpando (UNC), 25-10
197: #14 Nate Rotert (SDSU) dec. #17 Trent Noon (UNC), 9-5
285: Alex Macki (SDSU) dec. Jack Kuck, 4-2 TB-2

Jason Hove
Assistant AD-Sports Information
South Dakota State University
Office: (605) 688-4623

Cell: (605) 695-1827
Fax: (605) 688-5999
E-Mail: Jason.Hove@sdstate.edu
Web: http://www.GoJacks.com
Twitter: @GoJacksSDSU @GoJacksWrestle

Last edited:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brewer, Christopher J <christopher-brewer@hawkeyesports.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 8:32 PM
Subject: Iowa Wrestling recap -- No. 2 Hawkeyes Top Badgers, 31-3
To:

Play-by-play attached

University of Iowa Wrestling

Athletic Communications Contact: Chris Brewer

No. 2 Hawkeyes Top Badgers, 31-3

Clark defeats Taylor in matchup of top 10 wrestlers

MADISON, Wisconsin -- The University of Iowa wrestling team won nine-of-10 bouts to defeat Wisconsin, 31-3, on Friday night at the Kohl Center. Iowa held a 32-4 advantage on takedowns and outscored the Badgers 88-37 in match points to improve to 11-0 overall and 5-0 in the Big Ten.

Iowa won the first seven matches and led 18-0 at intermission. Nathan Burak led off the dual with 20-7 major decision at 197, and Thomas Gilman used nine takedowns and two nearfall points to earn his team-best fourth technical fall, 23-7.

Sam Stoll scored a takedown in the first 15 seconds and held on for a 3-1 win at 285, and Cory Clark won, 7-3, in the only match featuring two top 10 wrestlers. Clark is ranked third, Ryan Taylor is ranked seventh.

“I have to continue to move and get my angels and I feel like I did a pretty good job of that,” Clark said. “Obviously, there is room for improvement.”

Topher Carton won his third straight Big Ten match before the break. Carton won a 4-2 decision, but he controlled the pace the entire match and scored in the final 20 seconds of the first and second periods.

“I felt like I was in good control,” Carton said, “but I’m not pushing the pace and feeling when they’re ready to break. The high crotch I hit off the underhook, I didn’t hold it. I hit the underhook and scored with it. I just have to keep building off that and keeping the attack going.”

The Hawkeyes came out of intermission with a pair of wins from Brandon Sorensen and Edwin Cooper, Jr., at 149 and 157 to build a 24-0 lead.

Wisconsin finally got on the board at 165 when defending Big Ten champion Isaac Jordan defeated Patrick Rhoads, 6-1. The match snapped Iowa’s streak of 21 straight wins dating back to its win at Illinois on Jan. 8.

Alex Meyer and Sammy Brooks closed the scoring. Meyer defeated No. 19 Ricky Robertson , 2-0, and Brooks scored four takedowns and two nearfall to finish a 14-6 major decision.

“We have guys that love to compete and guys who love to wrestle,” said UI head coach Tom Brands. “They come in, they go on the road, wherever it is, they love to wrestle. We’re at home next against Purdue and then we have a tough test at Nebraska a week from Sunday, so we have to get better.”

Iowa returns to the mat Friday, Jan. 22 hosting Purdue at 8 p.m. at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Prior to the dual, the United States women’s freestyle team will hold a special wrestle-off at Carver-Hawkeye Arena to determine four rosters spots for the Pan-American Games.

NOTES: Attendance was 2,571… it marked just the second NCAA wrestling dual in the history of the Kohl Center… Iowa has won 12 straight conference road duals… The Hawkeyes are 5-0 in the Big Ten for the sixth time under Tom Brands… Iowa’s returning All-Americans improved to 60-1… Gilman improved to 15-0 with 13 wins by bonus points, his 15-match win streak matches a career high and his four technical falls lead the team… Cory Clark improved to 4-1 against ranked opponents… Burak has won a career-best 15 straight matches with nine matches by major decision.

#2 Iowa 31, Wisconsin 3

197 -- #3 Nathan Burak (IA) dec. Eric Peissig (UW), 20-7; 4-0

285 -- #8 Sam Stoll (IA) dec. Brock Horwarth (UW), 3-1; 7-0

125 -- #2 Thomas Gilman (IA) tech. fall Johnny Jimenez (UW), 23-7; 12-0

133 -- #3 Cory Clark (IA) dec. #7 Ryan Taylor (UW), 7-3; 15-0

141 -- Topher Carton (IA) dec. Gabe Grahek (UW), 4-2; 18-0

149 -- #2 Brandon Sorensen (IA) dec. Andrew Crone (UW), 6-3; 21-0

157 -- #16 Edwin Cooper, Jr. (IA) dec. T.J. Ruschell (UW), 8-2; 24-0

165 -- #3 Isaac Jordan(UW) dec. Patrick Rhoads (IA), 6-1; 24-3

174 -- #12 Alex Meyer (IA) dec. #19 Ricky Robertson (UW), 2-0; 27-3

184 -- #8 Sammy Brooks (IA) major dec. Ryan Christiansen (UW), 14-6; 31-3

Team Records:

Iowa: 11-0, 5-0

Wisconsin: 1-4, 0-3

Last edited:
Athletic Communications

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Contact: Molly Sweeney (215) 895-2084

January 15, 2016

Wrestling Falls to Navy, 25-14

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -The Drexel wrestling team fell to EIWA opponent Navy by a 25-14 deficit on Friday night. Four Dragons earned wins in the losing effort, including No. 6 Matthew Cimato who secured his 22nd win of the season at 149 pounds.

Zack Fuentes started things off for Drexel with a 5-2 victory over Brant Leadbeter at 125. However, a pin from Navy's Zack Davis at 133 and a decision in favor of the Midshipmen's Nicholas Gil at 141 put the Dragons behind, 9-3. Cimato's major decision over Corey Wilding at 149 brought Drexel within two points, 9-7, but then Drew Daniels would increase the Midshipmen's lead to 12-7 with a 3-2 decision over Richard Viruet.

A late takedown and ride out in the 165 match gave Austin Rose a major decision to cut Navy's lead to 12-11. But extra-point wins from nationally-ranked Midshipmen at 174 and 184 and then a 9-4 decision from Michael Woulfe at 197 would stretch Navy's advantage to 25-11 with just one match to go. Despite a 6-4 victory from heavyweight Joey Goodhart in the last match of the night, the Dragons would ultimately fall to the Midshipmen, 25-14.

The loss moves the Dragons to 3-6 overall and 0-2 in conference action, while Navy improves to 6-1, 2-1 EIWA. Drexel returns to action on Sunday when it visits American at noon.
Navy 25, Drexel 14125: Zack Fuentes (DU) DEC Brant Leadbeter (Navy), 5-2133: Zack Davis (Navy) WBF Frank Ferraina (DU) @ 4:32141: Nicholas Gil (Navy) DEC Kevin Devoy Jr. (DU), 5-3149: No. 6 Matthew Cimato (DU) MAJ Corey Wilding (Navy), 8-0157: Drew Daniels (Navy) DEC Richard Viruet (DU), 3-2165: Austin Rose (DU) MAJ Michael Coleman (Navy), 10-2174: No. 18 Jadaen Bernstein (Navy) MAJ Nick Elmer (DU), 15-5184: No. 15 Mathew Miller (Navy) WBF Stephen Loiseau (DU) @ 4:04197: Michael Woulfe (Navy) DEC Nezar Haddad (DU), 9-4285: Joey Goodhart (DU) DEC Nick Mabry (Navy), 6-4

-DU-

---

Molly Sweeney

Assistant Director of Athletic Communications

Department of Athletics

Drexel University

3141 Chestnut Street

Philadelphia, PA 19104

Tel: 215.895.2084

drexeldragons.com

I AM A DRAGON!

-
--------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 7:11 PM
Subject: Indiana Wrestling Results: No. 22 Indiana 26, Maryland 13

Below are the results for Indiana's Friday, January 15 dual vs. Maryland at University Gymnasium.

Recap to follow.

Results: #22 Indiana 26, Maryland 13

197: Jake Masengale (Indiana) dec. Garret Wesneski (Maryland) SV-1, 5-3 | 3-0
285: Garret Goldman (Indiana) dec. Youssif Hemida (Maryland) 3-2 | 6-0
125: Elijah Oliver (Indiana) pinned Mike Beck (Maryland) 2:01 | 12-0
133: #13 Geoffrey Alexander (Maryland) maj. dec. Alonzo Shepherd (Indiana) 9-0 | 12-4
141: Cole Weaver (Indiana) dec. Alfred Bannister (Maryland) 8-3 | 15-4
149: Luke Blanton (Indiana) dec. Wade Hodges (Maryland) TB 9-4 | 18-4
157: #19 Lou Mascola (Maryland) dec. Jake Danishek (Indiana) 8-7 | 18-7
165: Bryce Martin (Indiana) dec. Brendan Burnham (Maryland) SV-1 7-5 | 21-7
174: #6 Nate Jackson (Indiana) tech fall Josh Snook (Maryland) 23-8 | 26-7
184: Jaron Smith (Maryland) pinned Wyatt Wilson (Indiana) 6:01 | 26-13

--
Nick Reith
Wrestling, Water Polo

Last edited:
-
Date: Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 7:00 PM
Subject: Late Michigan Surge Downs @IlliniWrestling, 25-14
To:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, January 15, 2016

SID Contact: Chad Beyler (O: 217.300.1449; C: 217.493.3777 or beyler2@illinois.edu

Link: http://bit.ly/1U1A6q4 ; Full Play-by-Play: http://bit.ly/1P5bEWz

FIGHTING ILLINI WRESTLING

Late Michigan Surge Downs @IlliniWrestling, 25-14

Illini Can’t Hold On Against Wolverines’ Heavier Weights

ANN ARBOR, Mich.— The Fighting Illini came out strong against W.I.N Magazine’s ninth-ranked team, winning four of the first six matches. However, Michigan’s strength at the four heaviest weight classes proved too much for the grapplers from Champaign. The Wolverines ended the match on a 17-0 run to win the dual 25-14, including bonus points at three of the final four weight classes. The loss drops the Illini to 1-3 in Big Ten duals, each of which have come at the hands of a top-10 team. Isaiah Martinez earned his 14th technical fall of the season, pushing his winning streak to 60 matches.

“I thought Ervin, Martinez and Rodrigues all looked very good {tonight},” said Head Coach Jim Heffernan. “Zane looked like he was happy winning and needs to get more out of himself.”

The ninth-ranked Michigan Wolverines started fast on Friday night, opening a 5-0 lead after Conor Youtsey earned a technical fall against Francis Edelen. Youtsey used an 8-3 first period to grab the early lead, and continued to add on throughout the match, finishing with a final tally of 25-10.

As often the case this season, Zane Richards responded at 133 pounds to get the Orange and Blue on the board, as he earned a decision against #11 Rossi Bruno of Michigan. Richards used a quick escape and takedown in the opening period to earn a 3-0 advantage. After an escape by Bruno, Richards and Bruno battled for the remaining four minutes of play with neither ranked-wrestler giving an inch. Richards held on for an additional riding point to give him a 4-1 victory, cutting the team deficit to 5-3. The victory extends Richards record to a perfect 17-0, including three wins against ranked opponents.

Coming off of his 14-12 upset of #12 Steve Bleise of Northern Illinois, Brock Ervin kept the momentum going against Michigan’s George Fisher on Friday night. After a stalemate in the opening period, Fisher began the second period in the down position, grabbing an escape to open up the scoring. Needing to respond, Ervin quickly bounced back to take down Fisher and take a 2-1 advantage into the final period. In the final frame, Ervin earned a quick escape to cushion his lead to 3-1. More importantly, the quick escape allowed him to hold onto his riding-time point, giving him a 4-1 victory, and giving the Illini a 6-5 lead.

At 149 pounds, #11 Alex Pantaleo used a takedown against Kyle Langenderfer to take an early 2-0 in the first period. After a Langenderfer escape, Pantaleo added a second takedown in the final ten seconds of the period to extend his lead to 4-1. Beginning the second period in the down position, Langenderfer quickly earned an escape point, but that was all the redshirt sophomore could muster on the evening, as Pantaleo finished off his victory with an escape in the third period, winning 5-2 and giving retaking the lead for Michigan, 8-6.

Facing his highest-ranked opponent of the season, #9 Brian Murphy, Isaiah Martinez didn’t waste any time in exerting himself in the opening period. Martinez exploded out of the gate with a takedown, followed by two four-point near falls to gain a commanding 10-1 advantage in the opening period. After an escape by Murphy, Martinez added two more takedowns and his third four-point near fall of the evening to solidify an 18-3 technical fall before the end of the second period. The fall was Martinez’s 14th of the season, while the victory stretched his winning streak to 60 straight matches.

Entering the second half of the dual with the Illini leading 11-8, #4 Steven Rodrigues used two takedowns in the first period to keep the momentum on the side of the Orange and Blue. An escape and a takedown in period two put Rodrigues in full control of the bout, leading to a 10-3 victory for the senior.

Making his first career dual-match start, Emery Parker fell behind 2-0 before grabbing an escape to end the opening period. Davonte Mahomes, the 16th-ranked wrestler at 174 pounds, began to put distance between him and Parker with two takedowns in period two, leading Parker 7-1. Mahomes completed the major decision with two more takedowns in period three, tallying an 11-3 victory.

“Parker is better than what he showed tonight, but he also wrestled a very good opponent,” explained Heffernan. “He does a lot of very good things and will get better as he gets more experience in big duals.”

With Michigan’s top wrestlers looming at 197 pounds and heavyweight, Jeff Koepke looked to preserve the Illini lead at 184 pounds. However, a 2-1 deficit after the first period would be as close as Koepke would get. Abounader earned an escape and two more takedowns during the final two periods to win the bout 7-2.

Needing a win to give the Orange and Blue the lead back, Andre Lee couldn’t get anything going against Michigan’s Max Huntley. Huntley jumped out to an early 4-1 lead before ending the match with a pin 2:39 in. With the victory secured, Michigan’s highest-ranked wrestler wrapped up the evening with an 11-2 major decision over Brooks Black, highlighted by a four-point near fall against in period two.

“Black, Koepke and Lee all need to wrestle with more confidence,” said Heffernan. “They all are capable of wrestling better.”

The four points by Coon concluded a 17-0 run by the Wolverines in the dual’s final four periods, turning an 14-8 Illini lead into a 25-14 Michigan victory.

Next up for the Fighting Illini is a trip to East Lansing for a dual against the Spartans on Sunday at noon. Michigan State fell to No. 20 Purdue tonight by a score of 27-15. Sunday’s dual will be broadcasted live on BTN Plus.

#9 Michigan 25, #11 Illinois 14

125: Conor Youtsey (MICH) tech fall Francis Edelen (ILL) 25-10 | 0-5

133: #3 Zane Richards (ILL) dec. #11 Rossi Bruno (MICH), 4-1 | 3-5

141: Brock Ervin (ILL) dec. George Fisher (MICH), 4-1 | 6-5

149: #11 Alex Pantaleo (MICH) dec. Kyle Langenderfer (ILL), 5-2| 6-8

157: #1 Isaiah Martinez (ILL) tech fall #9 Brian Murphy (MICH),18-3 (3:34)| 11-8

165: #6 Steven Rodrigues (ILL) dec Garrett Sutton, 10-3 | 14-8

174: #16 Davonte Mahomes (MICH) major dec. Emery Parker (ILL), 11-3| 14-12

184: #11 Domenic Abounader (MICH) dec. #16 Jeff Koepke (ILL), 7-2| 14-15

197: #6 Max Huntley (MICH) fall dec. Andre Lee (ILL), 2:39 | 21-14

HWT: #3 Adam Coon (MICH) major dec. Brooks Black (ILL), 11-2 | 25-14

--
3NS7fVT-psFn_zRNDPbQPit9eePyg5mFz4SlZf8SgQ1wtTLtDt3Vy6JwPl-N9UhbPEpeHR3HO7h6NlkkqAlCt6XTcDXTBecDbfmXogyl8VA_Dn4Z3okC1xwXkzAogCd7Vv_mBiF8Jtr6NDEpLqXNyf2IjTrsRQmpjJryFBX5bg8ErURXwYZuF2tjhNgwXUGQBLur7eUuWxOvwiw=s0-d-e1-ft

Chad Beyler

Athletics Communication Intern
Division of Intercollegiate Athletics | University of Illinois
SID Contact: Men's & Women's Track/XC, Wrestling, Assistant Volleyball
Office: 217-300-1449 | Cell: 217-493-3777
beyler2@illinois.edu

Last edited:
Date: Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 1:26 PM
Subject: UNI Wrestling Dominates Old Dominion, 24-12
To: Michelle Van Dorn <michelle.vandorn@uni.edu>

CONTACT: Michelle Van Dorn (michelle.vandorn@uni.edu / (319) 290-5301)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Story link: http://unipanthers.com/news/2016/1/17/WREST_0117163327.aspx

NORFOLK, Va. – Panthers on the UNI wrestling team knocked off a top-10 opponent and avenged a loss earlier in the year to hand Old Dominion its first MAC loss of the season, 24-12.

UNI got its second MAC win to improve to 3-5 overall and 2-2 in the MAC. Old Dominion fell to 4-6 overall and 0-1 in the MAC.

UNI got wins from:
  • No. 17 Josh Alber at 133 pounds
  • Trevor Jauch at 141 pounds
  • Bryce Steiert at 157 pounds
  • No. 8 Cooper Moore at 165 pounds
  • Kyle Lux at 174 pounds
  • Jared Bartel at 197 pounds
  • No. 15 Blaize Cabell at heavyweight

After wrestling at 149 pounds in Friday's Virginia Tech dual, Jauch returned to the lineup at 141 pounds as the lead-off wrestler, getting his second top-15 upset of the year. Earlier in the season, Jauch pinned No. 15 Jamel Hudson of Hofstra.

It was a scoreless first period. Jauch gave up a stall point nearly midway through the second period and racked up about a minute of riding time before releasing No. 9 Chris Mecate. Jauch got a takedown but gave up a reversal just as the second period expired. The third period started in Mecate's favor, 3-2 with the wrestlers starting neutral. With 15 seconds left in the match, Jauch got the takedown and was awarded riding time to win 5-3.

The Panthers had the dual win locked up by the time Alber stepped on the mat for the final match at 133 pounds. It was a rematch from the Midlands Championships where No. 14 Emilio Saavedra won the title in a second sudden victory. The win swapped Alber with Saavedra in the latest MAC rankings.

This time it was Alber who would get the win. After a scoreless first period, Alber got an escape in the second period and secured a riding time point in the third to win 2-0.

It was Alber's fourth win over a top-20 opponent this year. He has beaten then-ranked No. 19 Anthony Giraldo of Rutgers two times and then-ranked No. 12 Josh Martinez of Air Force.

MATCHES IN ORDER
Jauch's win over Mecate at 141 pounds gave the Panthers a 3-0 lead, but a tech fall loss at 149 pounds put UNI back 5-3 when Bryce Steiert took the mat at 157 pounds.

Two minutes into the first period, Steiert got on the board with a takedown against senior Devin Geoghegan and gave up an escape. Steiert got an escape and a point for an illegal move by Geoghegan in the second to keep the 4-1 lead to start the third period. Geoghegan got an escape before Steiert could secure riding time. Steiert went on to win 4-2 win.

The 165-pound match was tied up 4-4 to start the third when No. 8 Cooper Moore turned on the offense, getting two takedowns and releasing Seldon Wright early for the escapes. He grabbed another takedown late in the third and earned an extra point for riding time to win 11-6.

Kyle Lux was reversed midway through the second period and got an early escape, but he trailed Brooks Climmons 2-1 to start the third. Lux tied it up in the third to push the match into tiebreakers. After a scoreless sudden victory, Lux started down and got the reversal to go up 4-2. Lux was able to keep Climmons down to secure the decision.

All-American No. 6 Jack Dechow earned bonus points for Old Dominion to narrow the team score. UNI continued to lead 12-9.

Jared Bartel turned it on in the final seconds of the match to take Austin Coburn straight to his back. His nearfall points gave him the 7-1 decision to push the team score to 15-9 for UNI.

Blaize Cabell racked up four takedowns before getting his second fall of the year. He pinned Andrew Snyder in 4 minutes, 35 seconds. The bonus points pushed the team score to 21-9.

ODU's Brandon Jeske's win at 125 pounds wasn't enough to give the Monarchs a chance to win the dual.

UNI 24, OLD DOMINION 12
  • 141 – Trevor Jauch (UNI) dec. #9 Chris Mecate (ODU), 5-3
  • 149 – #8 Alexander Richardson (ODU) tech fall Jake Hodges (UNI), 18-2 (5:00)
  • 157 – Bryce Steiert (UNI) dec. Devin Geoghegan (ODU), 4-2
  • 165 – #8 Cooper Moore (UNI) dec. Seldon Wright (ODU), 11-6
  • 174 – Kyle Lux (UNI) dec. Brooks Climmons (ODU), 4-2
  • 184 – #6 Jack Dechow (ODU) maj. dec. Cody Caldwell (UNI), 11-2
  • 197 – Jared Bartel (UNI) dec. Austin Coburn (ODU), 7-1
  • 285 – #15 Blaize Cabell (UNI) pinned Andrew Snyder (ODU), 4:35
  • 125 – Brandon Jeske (ODU) dec. Leighton Gaul (UNI), 6-3
  • 133 – #17 Josh Alber (UNI) dec. #14 Emilio Saavedra (ODU), 2-0

NEXT UP
UNI will host Central Michigan in its second dual of the season 7 p.m. Jan. 29. It will be Military Appreciation Night in the West Gym. The first fans through the door will receive camouflage hats.

Last edited:
U.S. Air Force Academy – Air Force wrestling concluded dual action on Sunday afternoon against Grand Canyon University with a 23-9 win over the Lopes.Air Force earned wins in seven of 10 weight classes improving their dual slate record to 5-2.

Freshman Alex Lopouchanski led the team in bonus points coming from an 18-2 technical fall over GCU’s Casey Larson in the 165 class. Other Falcons to earn decision wins were Drew Romero, 11-5 decision at 125, John Twomey, 7-2 decision at 133, Jerry McGinty 8-4 decision at 149, Zach Stepan 3-1 decision at 157, Anthony McLaughlin SV24-2decision at 184 and Parker Hines 3-1 decision at 197.

Michael Billinglsey also earned a 5-3 decision victory in exhibition action in the 165 class prior to the meet.

Final results:

Air Force (4-2, 0-1 Big 12) vs Grand Canyon University (5-12)

125: Drew Romero (AF) dec. Trayton Libolt (GCU) – 11-5, AF 3-0

133: John Twomey (AF) dec. Jauquin Olivas (GCU) – 7-2, AF 6-0

141: Rafael Tovar (GCU) dec. Anthony McHugh (AF) – 6-3, AF 6-3

149: Jerry McGinty (AF) dec. Blake Monty (GCU) – 8-4, AF 9-3

157: Zach Stepan (AF) dec. Zack Velasquez (GCU) – 3-1, AF 12-3

165: Alex Lopouchanski (AF) tech. fall Casey Larson (GCU) – 18-2, AF 17-3

174: Kenny Moore (GCU) dec. Adam Jackson (AF) – 3-1, AF 17-5

184: Anthony McLaughlin (AF) SV2 dec. Austin Gaun (GCU) – 4-2, AF 20-6

197: #18 Parker Hines (AF) v Austin Trujillo (GCU) – 3-1, AF 23-6

285: Daniel Chaid (GCU) dec. Marcus Malecek (AF) – 4-1, AF 23-9

Exhibition 165: Michael Billingsley (AF) dec. Bobby Reece (GCU) 5-3

Final team score: 23-9

Following the Grand Canyon dual, Air Force will head to the Dakotas for a weekend of dual action against Big 12 Conference opponents, North Dakota State on Jan. 22, and South Dakota State on Jan. 24.

Date: Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 12:51 PM
Subject: No. 17 ODU Falls to No. 21 Northern Iowa, 24-12
To:

NORFOLK, Va. -- The No. 17 Old Dominion wrestling team dropped a 24-12 loss to No. 21 Northern Iowa in the MAC opener on Sunday afternoon at the Ted Constant Center.

Northern Iowa (3-4, 2-2 MAC) opened the match with an upset victory at 141, as Trevor Jauch upended No. 9 Chris Mecate, 5-3. Despite leading 3-2 after two periods, Mecate surrendered a takedown to Jauch in the closing seconds, falling 5-3 after a riding time point was added in favor of Jauch.

Alexander Richardson responded at 149 with a tech. fall over Jake Hodges, 18-2, to give ODU a 5-3 lead in the dual meet score, but UNI freshman Bryce Steiert earned a 4-2 win at 157 to regain the lead for the Panthers.

The Panthers' Kyle Lux outlasted Brooks Climmons, defeating the Monarch sophomore 4-2 TB on the strength of a reversal in the overtime period at 174.

In his first match back since the Midlands, Jack Dechow impressed with an 11-2 major decision over Cody Caldwell. Dechow racked up four takedowns en route to the bonus point victory to narrow UNI's lead to 12-9.

Northern Iowa answered with back-to-back wins at 197 and 285, as Jared Bartel defeated Austin Coburn, 7-1, at 197 with a six-point move in the waning seconds of the match, and Blaize Cabell pinned Andrew Snyder in 4:35.

Brandon Jeske improved his winning streak to five with a workman-like 7-3 decision over Leighton Gaul at 125 before the Panthers' Josh Alber decisioned Emilio Saavedra, 2-0, in a rematch of the Midlands Championship match. Alber used an escape and riding time point to close out the win for Northern Iowa, 24-12.

ODU gets back in action on Friday, Jan. 22 against Buffalo at 7 p.m. before taking on Kent State on Sunday, Jan. 24 at 2 p.m. on the road.

#21 Northern Iowa 24, #17 Old Dominion 12
: Trevor Jauch (UNI) dec. #9 Chris Mecate (ODU), 5-3
149: #8 Alexander Richardson (ODU) TF Jake Hodges (UNI), 18-2 5:00
157: Bryce Steiert (UNI) dec. Devin Geoghegan (ODU), 4-2
165: #8 Cooper Moore (UNI) dec. Seldon Wright (ODU), 11-6
174: Kyle Lux (UNI) dec. Brooks Climmons (ODU), 4-2 TB
184: #6 Jack Dechow (ODU) maj. Cody Caldwell (UNI), 11-2
197: Jared Bartel (UNI) dec. Austin Coburn (ODU), 7-1
285: #15 Blaize Cabell (UNI) pin Andrew Snyder (ODU) 4:35
125: Brandon Jeske (ODU) dec. Leighton Gaul (UNI), 7-3
133: #17 Josh Alber (UNI) dec. #14 Emilio Saavedra (ODU), 2-0

--
Tristan Warner
Old Dominion University
Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant (WREST, MGOLF, WGOLF)
Jim Jarrett Athletic Administration Building
4509 Elkhorn Avenue
Norfolk, Virginia 23529
Office: (757) 683-3395
Cell: (717) 571-1206
www.ODUSports.com

Last edited:

Athletic Communications

January 17, 2016

Late Surge Puts Wrestling Past American, 21-16

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Drexel wrestling team swept the last five matches to defeat American, 21-16, on Sunday afternoon. Along with these victories, No. 13 Matthew Cimato also earned his 23rd win of the season in the outing and remains undefeated in dual competition with a perfect 10-0 record.

American secured the first points of the day as its eighth-ranked David Terao earned a win-by-fall over Zack Fuentes at 125 pounds. The Eagles then extended their lead to 9-0 as Esteban Gomez-Rivera earned a 9-5 decision over Franco Ferraina at 133. In the 141 match, Kevin Devoy Jr. took American's Tyler Scotton to overtime as the score was knotted at 1-1 as time expired in regulation. Neither wrestler was able to score in the first sudden victory period, but escapes from both wrestlers in the first tie breaker would advance the match all the way to a second tie breaker round. Devoy had a 3-2 advantage going into the second period of TB2, but an escape from Scotton evened the score and a penalty against Devoy would ultimately give the match and a 12-0 lead to American.

Drexel's first points of the day came as Cimato earned a 14-1 major decision over the Eagles' Cole Moseley at 149. American would take the 157 match with a major from the tenth-ranked John Boyle to make the score 16-4 halfway through the dual. However, the Dragons stepped up their game and won out the last five matches to go on to victory.

Drexel's surge started as Austin Rose took an 11-4 decision from American's Mitchell Wightman at 165. Then Nick Elmer edged Jason Grimes by a 5-4 decision in the 174 match and Stephen Loiseau followed with a 15-0 technical fall over American's Joe Salvi. Trailing 16-15 with two matches to go, Nezar Haddad picked up an 8-6 victory to give the Dragons their first lead of the day, 18-16. A 2-0 win from Joey Goodhart in the heavyweight match solidified Drexel's 21-16 victory and allowed the Dragons to get a split of their first full weekend over conference competition.

With the win Drexel improves to 4-6 overall and 1-2 in conference action while the Eagles move to 4-3 overall and 1-2 against EIWA opponents.

The Dragons return to action on Friday as they open their home schedule by hosting EIWA opponent Binghamton at the Daskalakis Athletic Center for Spirit Night. The dual is set to begin at 7 p.m.

125: No. 8 David Terao (AU) WBF Zack Fuentes (DU) @ 5:13
133: Esteban Gomez-Rivera (AU) DEC Franco Ferraina (DU), 9-5
141: Tyler Scotton (AU) DEC Kevin Devoy Jr. (DU), 4-3 (TB-2)
149: No. 13 Matthew Cimato (DU) MAJ Cole Moseley (AU), 14-1
157: No. 10 John Boyle (AU) MAJ Ryan O'Connor (DU), 13-4
165: Austin Rose (DU) DEC Mitchell Wightman (AU), 11-4
174: Nick Elmer (DU) DEC Jason Grimes (AU), 5-4
184: Stephen Loiseau (DU) TF Joe Salvi (AU), 15-0
197: Nezar Haddad (DU) DEC Jeric Kasunic (AU), 8-6
285: Joey Goodhart (DU) DEC Jake Scanlan (AU), 2-0

-DU-

---

Molly Sweeney

Department of Athletics

Drexel University

3141 Chestnut Street

Philadelphia, PA 19104

drexeldragons.com

I AM A DRAGON!

Last edited:
Date: Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 1:42 PM
Subject: No. 6 Rutgers Wrestling Edged at Minnesota, 17-16
To:

RUTGERS ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS

RUTGERS, THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY

1 Scarlet Knight Way | High Point Solutions Stadium, Suite A | Piscataway, NJ 08854

O:732-445-7028 • F: 732-445-8899www.scarletknights.com • @RUAthletics

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Anthony Hernandez (office: 732-445-8119; e-mail: ahernandez@scarletknights.com)

No. 6 Rutgers Wrestling Edged at Minnesota, 17-16

Scarlet Knights fall to 11-3, 2-2 in Big Ten dual competition

MINNEAPOLIS (Jan. 17, 2016) – No. 6 Rutgers wrestling battled to take a one-point lead into intermission, but consecutive wins out of the break by Minnesota at 149 and 157 pounds put the match out of reach in a 17-16 loss Sunday at The Sports Pavilion.

The Scarlet Knights (11-3, 2-2 Big Ten) trailed, 17-12, entering the final match at 184 pounds and needed a pin to take the victory. Nicholas Gravina (Allendale, N.J.) controlled Christopher Pfarr in the match in an attempt to get him on his back, but the bout ended in an 11-3 major for Gravina and one-point loss for RU.

A tech fall would have tied the dual, but the Golden Gophers (6-6, 2-2 Big Ten) had criteria on their side.

No. 16 heavyweight Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.) posted a quality, 2-1, win over No. 7 Michael Kroells early on. The two were tied, 1-1, through regulation and a minute of sudden victory.

Smith (17-5) held Kroells down in the first tiebreaker period, and slipped away in the next 30 second stanza for the win. The victory was Smith’s third in-a-row and avenged a 6-5 loss to Kroells at the RAC last season.

Rutgers clicked over the next two matches with decisions at 125 pounds from Sean McCabe (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) and at 133 pounds from No. 18 Anthony Giraldo (Guttenberg, N.J.).

McCabe (11-7) scored at the buzzer in a 7-6 win, while Giraldo (13-7) cruised after only surrendering an escape to Sam Brancale. The wins established a 9-5 dual lead.

The Golden Gophers took charge for good with three-straight wins from 141-157 pounds.

No. 10 Anthony Perrotti (Roseland, N.J.) overcame an illegal hold, stall, and caution call against him in an 8-6 win against Brandon Krone at 165 pounds to keep RU in it.

But the dual swung on the 174-pound bout, where Nicholas Wanzek defeated Phillip Bakuckas (Hammonton, N.J.), 8-4.

Rutgers returns to the RAC, where it is unbeaten this season, on Friday, Jan. 22 against Wisconsin (1-4, 0-3 Big Ten). The match will stream live on BTN Plus.

Minnesota 17, No. 6 Rutgers 16

Dual started at 197 pounds

197: No. 4/4/4 Brett Pfarr (MINN) tech fall over Anthony Messner (RU), 23-8; Minnesota leads, 5-0

285: No. 16/16/15 Billy Smith (RU) dec. over No. 7/7/6 Michael Kroells (MINN), 2-1 (TB-1); Minnesota leads, 5-3

125: Sean McCabe (RU) dec. over Skyler Petry (MINN), 7-6; Rutgers leads, 6-5

133: No. 18/19/17 Anthony Giraldo (RU) dec. over Sam Brancale (MINN), 3-1; Rutgers leads, 9-5

141: No. 12/11/11 Tommy Thorn (MINN) dec. over No. 4/4/5 Anthony Ashnault (RU), 8-1; Rutgers leads, 9-8

149: No. 9/13/9 Jake Short (MINN) dec. over Tyson Dippery (RU), 6-1; Minnesota leads, 11-9

157: Brandon Kingsley (MINN) dec. over John Van Brill (RU), 4-2; Minnesota leads, 14-9

165: No. 10/5/4 Anthony Perrotti (RU) dec. over Brandon Krone (MINN), 8-6; Minnesota leads, 14-12

174: Nicholas Wanzek (MINN) dec. over Phillip Bakuckas (RU), 8-4; Minnesota leads, 17-12

184: No. NR/20/NR Nicholas Gravina (RU) major dec. over Christopher Pfarr (MINN), 11-3; Minnesota wins, 17-16

Rankings (-/-/-): InterMat / FloWrestling/The Open Mat

NR denotes not ranked

Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (Rutgers Athletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers wrestling, follow the program on Facebook (Rutgers Wrestling), Twitter (@RUWrestling) and Instagram (@RUWrestling). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.

--RU--

Anthony Hernandez
(Women's Soccer, Wrestling, Women’s Lacrosse)
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
High Point Solutions Stadium | 1 Scarlet Knight Way, Suite A, Piscataway, NJ 08854
O: (732)-445-8119 | c: (609)-709-0013 | www.ScarletKnights.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the
individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate,
distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if
you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information
could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or
contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission.

If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version.

Rutgers University - DIA
83 Rockafeller Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854
www.scarletknights.com

Last edited:
American Drops EIWA Dual to Drexel

Eagles win four of first five bouts

WASHINGTON – The American University wrestling team closed out the weekend with a 21-16 loss to EIWA foe Drexel on Sunday afternoon.

The Eagles dropped the final five bouts of the dual to fall to 4-3 overall on the season and 1-2 in the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association.

Senior captain David Terao, ranked eighth in the nation at 125 pounds, got the Eagles out to a strong start, scoring a fall early in the third period, while redshirt junior Esteban Gomez-Rivera added a decision at 133 pounds. At 141 pounds, redshirt senior Tyler Scotton ended the second tiebreaker tied at 3-3, but used accumulated riding time to emerge as the victor.

Drexel got on the board with a major decision by 13th-ranked Matthew Cimato at 149 pounds, but American pulled ahead to a 16-4 lead in the team scoring after a dominant performance by 10th-ranked senior captain John Boyle (157), who earned a 13-4 major decision.

“In our first five matches, we did a lot of really good things,” said American head coach Teague Moore. “David was in a tight bout, but he found a fall, even not feeling 100 percent coming into the match. Esteban is doing great things as well, so we’re excited with our guys at 125 and 133.

“At 141, Tyler’s opponent is really good on top, yet Tyler was able to escape twice to win that match. It was really important for Tyler to beat him in his best position. At 157, John is looking the part of an All-American. He’s an exceptional team leader, and we can always count on him.”

Unfortunately, Boyle’s win was the last of the day for the Eagles. The Dragons scored back-to-back decisions at 165 and 174 pounds before earning a technical fall at 184 pounds. Drexel took its first lead of the match by holding on for a decision at 197 pounds, while clinching the team win with a decision in the heavyweight bout.

“We have to use this weekend as a building block,” said Moore. “Our upper weights cannot look at this weekend and just brush it under the rug. When you start accepting performances like this, you are destined to fail.

“Moving forward, we have to get back to basics, we do the things we are capable of doing. Yesterday and today, we did not do that in our upper five weights. We didn’t do the things that we train to do.”

American returns to action Sunday, Jan. 31, with a pair of home duals versus Duke and Columbia.

Drexel 21, American 16

125: No. 8 David Terao (AU) fall Zack Fuentes, 5:13

133: Esteban Gomez-Rivera (AU) dec. Franco Ferraina, 9-5

141: Tyler Scotton (AU) dec. Kevin Devoy, 3-3 RT (TB2)

149: No. 13 Matthew Cimato (DU) maj. dec. Cole Moseley, 14-1

157: No. 10 John Boyle (AU) maj.dec. Ryan O’Connor, 13-4

165: Austin Rose (DU) dec. Mitchell Wightman, 11-4

174: Nick Elmer (DU) dec. Jason Grimes, 5-4

184: Stephen Loiseau (DU) tech fall Joe Salvi, 15-0 (5:40)

197: Nezar Haddad (DU) dec. Jeric Kasunic, 8-6

HWT: Joey Goodhart (DU) dec. Jake Scanlan, 2-0

---------------
MELISSA MCKEOWN
American University
o: 202.885.3030
c: 719.213.1509
e: mckeown@american.edu

Date: Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 12:34 PM
Subject: Goodwin, Peck Tally Victories at Purdue
To: wrestling <wrestling@reflectors.mail.umd.edu>

Goodwin, Peck Tally Victories at Purdue

Boilermakers Get Five Bonus Point Wins in 32-6 Victory

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Redshirt sophomores Tyler Goodwin (133) and Dawson Peck (285) both earned victories by decision, but it was not enough as the Terps fell 32-6 at Purdue Sunday afternoon. After splitting the two opening weights, the hosts fired off seven straight match victories to secure the win. The Boilermakers, who checked in at No. 20 in the latest USA Today/NWCA Coaches Poll, improve to 7-2 and 2-1 in the Big Ten. Maryland slides to 4-8 (1-5 Big Ten).

Goodwin won his fourth consecutive match and second straight Big Ten victory with an 11-7 decision over Cody Pae in the 133-pound bout. The Gambrills, Md. native was on top of his game early, getting a takedown and four-point near fall to jump out to a 6-0 lead in the first. Pae made it a match with a pair of reversals to cut the lead to 6-4, but Goodwin answered back with a reversal of his own to stay up 8-4. He took care of business in the third, using a late takedown to seal the eventual four-point victory.

Peck got back in the win column in his first match since Midlands on December 30, earning a decision over Tyler Kral. He trailed 2-1 after the first, but got a three-point swing in the second period on a quick escape and takedown combination. Kral managed a takedown in the third to tie things up at four, but Peck reversed him and held on for the eventual 8-4 win.

Purdue’s middle of the lineup proved too much for the Terps in the program’s first trip to Holloway Gymnasium as a member of the Big Ten. The Boilermakers notched five bonus point victories on the day, including pin from Drake Stein (197) and match-clinching a technical fall for Jacob Morrissey (174).

Maryland wrestling will return to competition on Friday, January 22 when the team makes the short trip to Annapolis, Md. to face the U.S. Naval Academy.

Maryland 6, Purdue 32

125: Ben Thornton (Purdue) major decision over Michael Beck (MD), 18-6 (0-4)

133: Tyler Goodwin (MD) decision over Cody Pae (Purdue), 11-7 (3-4)

141: Danny Sabatello (Purdue) decision over Billy Rappo (MD), 9-3 (3-7)

149: Alex Griffin (Purdue) major decision over Wade Hodges (MD), 9-1 (3-11)

157: Doug Welch (Purdue) decision over No. 19 Lou Mascola (MD), 10-5 (3-14)

165: No. 6 Chad Welch (Purdue) major decision over Brendan Burnham (MD), 14-3 (3-18)

174: Jacob Morrissey (Purdue) tech fall over Derrick Evanovich (MD), 15-0 (3-23)

184: Tanner Lynde (Purdue) decision over Jaron Smith (MD), 8-1 (3-26)

197: Drake Stein (Purdue) fall over Garrett Wesneski (MD), 3:14 (3-32)

285: Dawson Peck (MD) decision over Tyler Kral (Purdue), 8-4 (6-32)

-Terps-

Keith Sneddon

Media Relations Assistant | WrestlingIntercollegiate Athletics|University of Maryland

P: 443.617.2423

Last edited:
Date: Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 12:07 PM
Subject: NC STATE WRESTLING: Pack Wins Eight Bouts and Dominates #17 Virginia, 35-7
To:

@PackWrestle Wins Eight Bouts and Dominates #17 Virginia, 35-7
The win improves the Pack to a perfect 17-0 this season, including 4-0 versus ranked foes

RALEIGH, N.C. - The No. 3 NC State wrestling team won eight bouts, including six straight, and dominated #17 Virginia in a 35-7 ACC win on Sunday. The Wolfpack (17-0) won the first two bouts and started with a 8-0 lead, then after a UVA (5-3) win, the Pack won six straight to secure the home dual win.

The win improves the Pack to a perfect 17-0 this season, including 4-0 versus ranked foes. The 17 wins are already the third-most in school history, and are a career-best for head coach Pat Popolizio at NC State.

Two-time defending NCAA Champion #1 Nick Gwiazdowski dominated the opening bout, getting two four-point near falls and a two-point near fall to start the Pack with an 18-3 technical win. Gwizdowski improves to 20-0 on the season, and extends his NCAA-best winning streak to 75 matches.

Redshirt-freshman Sean Fausz then scored three first-period takedowns and jumped out to a 6-2 lead after the first period at 125 pounds, and finished off his win by riding Virginia the entire third period and scoring an 8-4 win, his first ACC dual win of his career.

After a technical fall for UVA at 133, the Pack responded with six straight wins - four for bonus points. The Cavs got five team points with the win at 133, but were later deducted a team point for unsportsmanlike conduct after the 141 pound bout.

#3 Kevin Jack started the Pack’s winning streak with a dominating 10-0 major decision at 141 pounds, which included 4:48 of ride time and a four-point near fall.

Beau Donahue followed up at 149 with a 9-6 win. Tied at 4-4 going into the final period, Donahue scored a quick escape then got taken down, but rolled right into a reversal and got a lead he would hold on to until the end, 9-6.

In the most exciting bout of the day, #8 Tommy Gantt scored a takedown with just three seconds left and scored an 11-9 come-from-behind win at 157 pounds. After the first two periods saw just one takedown and two stall points, the third period was action packed with six takedowns and Gantt the aggressor the entire period.

The Pack then cemented the victory with three straight bonus points wins. #8 Max Rohsskopf (165) and #15 Pete Renda (184) both scored first-period pins, and Nicky Hall scored a 17-2 technical fall win at 174 pounds. UVA closed with its second win at 197 to make the final 35-7.

The win was the biggest against Virginia since a 31-3 home win in 1996, and the 35 points scored against the Cavs were the most in a dual since a 40-3 home win in 1992.

#3 NC State 35, #17 Virginia 7
285: #1 Nick Gwiazdowski (NCSU) technical fall Patrick Gillen; 19-3 - 5-0
125: Sean Fausz (NCSU) dec. Will Mason; 8-4 - 8-0
133: #6 George DiCamillo (UVA) technical fall Jamal Morris; 17-2 - 8-5
141: #3 Kevin Jack (NCSU) major dec. Zach Watson; 10-0 - 12-4 (-1 team point - unsportsmanlike)
149: Beau Donahue (NCSU) dec. TJ Miller; 9-6 - 15-4
157: #5 Tommy Gantt (NCSU) dec. Andrew Atkinson; 11-9 - 18-4
165: #8 Max Rohskopf (NCSU) fall Drew Hull; 2:22 - 24-4
174: Nicky Hall (NCSU) technical fall Fox Baldwin; 17-2 - 29-4
184: #15 Pete Renda (NCSU) fall Tyler Askey; 2:09 - 35-4
197: #13 Zach Nye (UVA) dec. #17 Michael Boykin; 5-3 - 35-7

UP NEXT: The Wolfpack will next host ACC rival North Carolina next Monday, Jan. 25, at 7 p.m.

--

Brian Reinhardt
Director of Athletics Digital Communications
(919) 515-8953 (office)
(919) 819-8317 (cell)
brian_reinhardt@ncsu.edu

Visit www.GoPack.com
"All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties."

Last edited:
Date: Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 7:19 AM
Subject: WR: Stieber to Join Buckeyes’ Coaching Staff
To:

January 22, 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Ohio State wrestling contact:
Mike Basford / basford.16@osu.edu WR: Stieber to Join Buckeyes’ Coaching StaffFour-time national champion will begin duties following Olympic Trials

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The wrestling room at Ohio State’s Steelwood Training Center is about to get more crowded. With championship credentials, specifically.

Logan Stieber, the most decorated wrestler in Ohio State history, will join the Buckeyes’ staff as a coach following April’s Olympic Trails, head coach Tom Ryan announced today. He will bring with him 119 career victories, four national championships, a Hodge Trophy and a team national title. And if things go well in April, a spot on the U.S. Olympic Team.

“I am very excited to be joining the Buckeye staff next year,” said Stieber. “I love Ohio State, so it’s a dream come true that I can start my coaching career here as well as pursue my Olympic dreams. I’m excited to be able to work with the current and future student athletes. I think with my knowledge and experience I can help the Buckeyes continue to win on and off the mat.”

The addition of Stieber’s to Ryan’s coaching staff give the Buckeyes a collective six national titles, seven NCAA finals appearances and 11 All-America honors amongst its four coaches. When World champion Kyle Snyder and Olympian Trevel Dlaganov are included, the Buckeyes’ wrestling room is the only one in the country that includes a four time NCAA champion, a World champion and an Olympian.

“Logan has been a tremendous example here as a student-athlete,” said Ryan. “He completed one of the most illustrious careers in both Ohio high school history [four state titles] and NCAA history by winning four Big Ten and NCAA championships while leading the Buckeyes to our first team title. Hopefully Olympic glory is next. I am excited for the current and future student athletes that will have the opportunity to learn from Logan.

“I also want to thank Ross Thatcher for his years of work with the program,” Ryan continued. “He had a tremendous influence on bringing our first NCAA team title to Ohio State as well as he mentored our upper weights, especially Nick Heflin and Kyle Snyder. He will be looking to continue to help young, aspiring champions as he builds a top notch wrestling academy.”

Thatcher served on Ohio State’s staff in two different occasions – first as volunteer strength and conditioning coach from 2005-08 and then as a coach from 2011-12 through 2015-16. A graduate of Bishop Ready High School, Thatcher has had successful coaching stops at his alma mater, Penn State, Oklahoma and Ohio State.

Stieber’s collegiate career is unmatched, as he won every major individual award and added the ultimate team accomplishment last March – the Buckeyes’ first-ever NCAA team title. Combined with four state titles he won at Monroeville High School, Stieber was 303-4 in high school and college with eight individual championships and two team titles. He won 96 of his 119 matches for the Scarlet and Gray via bonus points (80.6%). At last March’s NCAA Championships, he etched his place is history by winning won four of five matches by a combined score of 57-9 and added a first period pin in his other win.

Prior to beginning his coaching duties, Stieber will look to punch his ticket to the Summer Olympic Games in Rio at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials April 8-10 at Carver Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa. He earned a spot there by finishing second at last month’s U.S. Senior Nationals in the 65kg weight class.

#GoBucks#

MIKEBASFORD

Assistant Director | Ohio State Athletics Communications

Fawcett Center 6th floor | 2400 Olentangy River Rd. | Columbus, OH 43210

O 614.292.0134

C 908.892.8951

F 614.292.8547

basford.16@osu.edutwitter.com/MikeBasford_OSU

OhioStateBuckeyes.com

THE PEOPLE. THE TRADITION. THE EXCELLENCE.

Date: Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 3:55 PM
Subject: Harvard Wrestling Picks Up Road Win at Franklin & Marshall, 32-18
To:

Harvard Wrestling Picks Up Road Win at Franklin & Marshall, 32-18

LANCASTER, Pa. – Four Crimson grapplers pinned their opponents, as the Harvard wrestling team defeated Franklin & Marshall by a team score of 32-18 Friday afternoon.

The Crimson improves to 3-2 and 1-1 in the EIWA with the victory, while the Diplomats fall to 3-10 and 0-6.

With Harvard trailing, 6-0, Jeffrey Ott got the Crimson on the scoreboard by pinning Scott Stevens just 44 seconds into their match at 133 lbs. At 141, No. 7 Todd Preston dropped his first dual match of the year, as No. 15 Rick Durso held on a for a 2-0 decision, giving the Diplomats a 9-6 edge.

Starting at 149, the Crimson took a commanding lead, as Thomas Dutton pinned Jason Bing at the 1:54 mark, and Colby Knight followed by downing Sharron Townsend at 2:39 at 157, as Harvard went up, 18-9. In the next bout, Devon Gobbo returned to the lineup and picked up a technical fall against Michael Marano, 17-1, at 165 lbs. Josef Johnson put the match out of reach as he toppled Joshua Young, 10-5, making it 26-9 in favor of the Crimson.

The Crimson earned its final victory of the match at 197 lbs., as Josh Popple took down Charles Kerkesner with a pin at 1:17, pushing the score to 32-12.

Harvard will visit Bucknell Saturday in a 2 p.m. match.

Harvard 32, Franklin & Marshall 18
125: Aaron Maldoff (FM) won by forfeit, 0-6
133: Jeffrey Ott (H) pinned Scott Stevens, 0:44, 6-6
141: No. 15 Rick Durso (FM) dec. No. 7 Todd Preston (H), 2-0, 6-9
149: Thomas Dutton (H) pinned Jason Bing (FM), 1:54, 12-9
157: Colby Knight (H) pinned Sharron Townsend (FM), 2:39, 18-9
165: Devon Gobbo (H) tech. fall Michael Marano (FM), 17-1, 23-9
174: Josef Johnson (H) dec. Joshua Young (FM), 10-5, 26-9
184: Anthony Mancini (FM) dec. Logan Kirby, 7-4, 26-12
197: Josh Popple (H) pinned Charles Kerkesner (FM), 1:17, 32-12
285: Antonio Pelusi (FM) pinned Angus Cowell (H), 6:06, 32-18

Tim Williamson

Associate Director of Athletics/Athletic Communications

Harvard University

Murr Center

65 North Harvard Street

Boston, MA 02163

(617) 495-2206

GoCrimson.com
@HarvardCrimson
@HarvardSID

rom Brown University Athletic Communications

January 22, 2016

Brown Wrestling Takes Eight of 10 Bouts to Upend F&M, 29-8

Release Link: http://brownbears.com/sports/m-wrestl/2015-16/releases/20160122v88upc

LANCASTER, Pa. – Brown University wrestling won eight of the dual meet’s 10 bouts, taking bonus points in four bouts, to defeat Franklin & Marshall College on Friday afternoon at the Mayser Center in an EIWA dual.

The Bears (2-5, 2-3 EIWA) took six of the first seven bouts from the host Diplomats (3-9, 0-5 EIWA) en route to the victory.

Junior Justin Staudenmayer (Plymouth Meeting, Pa.) picked up his team-leading fifth technical fall of the year while junior Steven Galiardo (Chicago, Ill.), freshman Jon Viruet (Springfield, Mass.), and sophomore Josh Durso-Finley (Lawrenceville, N.J.) each gained wins via major decisions.

Sophomores Michael Russo (Jersey City, N.J.) and Zeke Salvo (Baltimore, Md.), junior Richard Muniz (Corona, Calif.), and freshman Ian Butterbrodt (North Andover, Mass.) each tallied a win via decision.

Opening at 125 lbs., Russo gained a 3-1 win with a takedown in the second period and an escape in the third frame. Salvo followed with a 2-1 triumph at 133 lbs., scoring a takedown in the second stanza.

At 141 lbs., Galiardo notched a 15-4 major decision, totaling six points in the first period and adding another seven points in the third. Staudenmayer pushed Brown’s team lead to 15-5 with a 17-0 technical fall win at 157 lbs. He registered the technical fall in the first period, scoring a 4-point near fall on three occasions.

Viruet continued the Bears’ momentum with a 14-1 major decision at 165 lbs., earning a 9-1 edge through two periods. Muniz completed a four-bout win streak for Brown with a 2-0 win at 174 lbs., claiming an escape in the second stanza and a point for riding time.

At 197 lbs., Durso-Finley blanked his opponent with an 8-0 major decision win, and Butterbrodt closed the dual with a 4-1 win in the heavyweight division, scoring all four of his points in the final frame.

Next, Brown continues dual competition tomorrow at Bucknell University at noon and at Bloomsburg University at 4:30 p.m.

Brown 29 Franklin & Marshall 8 (Jan. 22, 2016 | Mayser Center)

125: Michael Russo (B) def. Aaron Moldoff (F), Dec. 3-1 (Brown 3-0)

133: Zeke Salvo (B) def. Scott Stevens (F), Dec. 2-1 (Brown 6-0)

141: No. 15 Rick Durso (F) def. Charlie Banaszak (B), TF 17-1 (Brown 6-5)

149: Steven Galiardo (B) def. Jason Bing (F), MD 15-4 (Brown 10-5)

157: Justin Staudenmayer (B) def. Sharron Townsend (F), TF 17-0 (Brown 15-5)

165: Jon Viruet (B) def. Michael Marano (F), MD 14-1 (Brown 19-5)

174: Richard Muniz (B) def. Josh Young (F), Dec. 2-0 (Brown 22-5)

184: Anthony Mancini (F) def. CJ LaFragola (B), Dec. 6-0 (Brown 22-8)

197: Josh Durso-Finley (B) def. Charles Kerkesner (F), MD 8-0 (Brown 26-8)

285: Ian Butterbrodt (B) def. Antonio Pelusi (F), Dec. 4-1 (Brown 29-8)

####

--
Nick Dow
Athletic Communications Assistant
Brown University
Email: nicholas_dow@brown.edu
Office: 401-863-6069
Cell: 781-812-7991

Date: Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 5:55 PM
Subject: ODU Wrestling Falls to Buffalo, 19-15
To:

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Old Dominion wrestling team (4-7, 0-2 MAC) fell to Buffalo, 19-15, on the road Friday night on ESPN3. Earning wins for the Monarchs were Seldon Wright, Jack Dechow, Brandon Jeske, Chris Mecate and Alexander Richardson.

After a scoreless first period at 157, Buffalo's Tim Schaefer used a third period takedown to send the night's opening bout to overtime against ODU's Devin Geoghegan. Schaefer went on to secure both ankles for a match-winning takedown in the first sudden victory period to win, 6-4 OT.

The Monarchs responded at 165, as true freshman Seldon Wright earned three takedowns en route to an 8-4 victory over Tyler Rill to tie the dual meet at 3-3.

The Bulls regained the lead, 6-3, after Muhamed McBryde scored a takedown in the final 30 seconds to defeat ODU's Brooks Climmons, 5-4, at 174.

Fifth-ranked Jack Dechow answered for ODU at 184, dominating Buffalo's Joe Ariola by an 8-1 decision on the strength of two takedowns, two nearfall points, an escape and a riding time point.

Heading into the intermission, Buffalo took a 9-6 lead after James Benjamin clung to a 3-2 victory in the second tiebreaker period by maintaining top control of Austin Coburn for the final 30 seconds of the match. Freshman Jake Gunning increased Buffalo's lead to 13-6 with a 14-3 major decision win over Old Dominion's Andrew Snyder at 285.

At 125, Brandon Jeske improved his winning streak to six with a 4-1 decision over Kyle Akins. The junior from Virginia Beach scored a first period takedown and accumulated over two minutes of riding time to secure the win and narrow Buffalo's lead to 13-9.

After Bryan Lantry of Buffalo received a forfeit at 133, No. 12 Chris Mecate scored a takedown and two nearfall as time expired in the third period to take down Brandon Lapi, 8-1. Alexander Richardson, ranked No. 8, closed out the dual with a 6-0 win over Buffalo's Colt Cotten, but the Bulls held on to win the dual meet, 19-15.

The Monarchs hit the mat again Sunday, Jan. 24 at 1 p.m. against Kent State in Kent, Ohio.

Buffalo 19, Old Dominion 15
157: Tim Schaefer (BUF) dec. Devin Geoghegan (ODU), 6-4 OT
165: Seldon Wright (ODU) dec. Tyler Rill (BUF), 8-4
174: Muhamed McBryde (BUF) dec. Brooks Climmons (ODU), 5-4
184: #5 Jack Dechow (ODU) dec. Joe Ariola (BUF), 8-1
197: James Benjamin (BUF) dec. Austin Coburn (ODU), 3-2 TB2
285: Jake Gunning (BUF) maj. Andrew Snyder (ODU), 14-3
125: Brandon Jeske (ODU) dec. Kyle Akins (BUF), 4-1
133: Bryan Lantry (BUF) won by forfeit
141: #12 Chris Mecate (ODU) dec. Brandon Lapi (BUF), 8-1
149: #8 Alexander Richardson (ODU) dec. Colt Cotten (BUF), 6-0

--
Tristan Warner
Old Dominion University
Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant (WREST, MGOLF, WGOLF)
Jim Jarrett Athletic Administration Building
4509 Elkhorn Avenue
Norfolk, Virginia 23529
Office: (757) 683-3395
Cell: (717) 571-1206
www.ODUSports.com

taylor.miller11@okstate.edu)

Cowboy Wrestling Snaps Mizzou’s Streak

STILLWATER – Oklahoma State’s fifth-ranked wrestling team defeated No. 4 Missouri, who sandwiched 37 wins between a Jan. 31, 2014 loss to Oklahoma State and Friday night’s 23-9 loss to the Cowboys in Gallagher-Iba Arena.

“The fact that we stopped a steak was a good feeling,” coach John Smith said. “You have to give respect to them, 37 matches in a row, that is pretty impressive and I’m glad we had an opportunity to put it to an end.”

The Cowboys picked up three team points after a nail-biter at 125 pounds, where No. 5 Eddie Klimara faced No. 10 Barlow McGhee. The bout was deadlocked at 1-1 after regulation, with each guy notching an escape. With no takedowns scored in sudden victory, the match went to a tiebreaker where Klimara picked up a quick escape in the first 30 seconds and rode out McGhee for the next 30 seconds to earn an exciting 2-1 win.

At 133 pounds, No. 10 Zach Synon picked up a takedown within the first 30 seconds over Gary Wayne Harding. A little more than a minute later, Harding cut the lead to 2-1 with an escape. The Cowboy also earned up an escape to start the second period and went on to score a late takedown to lead the Tiger, 4-2, going into the third period. Harding finished the match strong with a full-period ride-out to win the bout 5-2. The win over tenth-ranked Synon was Harding’s first win over a ranked opponent.

"It feels good to win my positions,” Harding said. “I have to break things down and wrestle all seven minutes as hard as I can go and if it takes more than that, wrestle that as hard as I can. I've just got to win my positions. I got a feel for his underhooks and his length, but mainly I just kept my pressure and kept wrestling. You could kind of feel the match start to weigh on him so I just kept pressing him and wrestled the whole seven minutes."

Top-ranked Dean Heil picked up his second-straight win over a top-five opponent as he defeated No. 5 Matt Manley, 3-1. The bout was scoreless after the first period, with Manley starting the second on bottom. Heil rode out Manley for the full two minutes in the second period, keeping the match scoreless. To start the final period, Heil hit a reversal to open scoring, 2-0. Shortly after, Manley picked up an escape but it was not enough as Heil, with the addition of riding time, earned a 3-1 win.

The Tigers won their first bout of the night at 149 pounds as No. 3 Lavion Mayes defeated No. 16 Anthony Collica, 5-2.

Joe Smith, son of Coach John Smith, wrestled his first match in Gallagher-Iba Arena on Friday, taking on LeRoy Barnes. Joe opened scoring with a quick takedown, but Barnes escaped just as quickly. The Cowboy managed another takedown late in the period to lead 4-1 after the first. Two more takedowns and an escape in the second gave Joe a 9-3 lead. With just an escape coming from Barnes in the third period, Joe earned a decisive 10-4 victory.

"It was definitely different [wrestling in Gallagher-Iba Arena],” Joe Smith said. “Your adrenaline gets pumping and the home crowd is definitely a lot bigger than anything at Stillwater High School so it was fun. Definitely the biggest dual crowd I've ever wrestled in front of. It was the first home so I'm glad it was big. I'm hoping they were there for the team and not just me. Your adrenaline starts pumping and then that lactic acid starts to hit you really hard in the arms when you're out there. But once I really got going I really started to feel my moves and techniques and it was fine."

The 165-pound match proved to be interesting as No. 1 Alex Dieringer faced No. 5 Daniel Lewis, a redshirt freshman for the Tigers. Dieringer picked up two takedowns in the first period, which would be the deciding factor in the match. With Dieringer leading 4-2, the Tiger rode out Dieringer for both the second and third periods. However it was not enough as Dieringer edged Lewis, 4-3.

At 174 pounds, third-ranked Kyle Crutchmer fell to No. 9 Blaise Butler in a sudden victory thriller, 3-1.

Nolan Boyd became the fifth Cowboy of the night to knock off a top-10 opponent as he put on a great performance against No. 4 Willie Miklus, who owned the series between the two. Boyd stormed out with a takedown in the first 30 seconds. He followed up with another takedown with just eight seconds left in the period to lead 4-1. The Cowboy went on to pick up a reversal in the second period and a 4:31 of riding time to dominate the No. 4 wrestler, 7-2.

“I think this was supposed to confirm that I have a different mindset,” Boyd said. “I just going to take it and run with that. I saw Collica wrestle and realized that’s the style that works for me—keep my feet moving. That’s what I did today.”

The Tigers picked up their third and final win at 197 pounds as true freshman Andrew Marsden faced No. 2 J’Den Cox. The freshman put up a fight but fell, 7-3.

Fifth-ranked Austin Marsden was the only wrestler of the night to score bonus points, earning a 16-0 technical fall over James Romero in only 1:25. The Cowboy senior picked up a quick takedown and followed it with five nearfall counts, closing out an exciting team win for the Pokes.

“We have to recognize that we have just so much more that we left out there, and we still controlled the match and won the key matches,” John Smith said. “If you ever start to settle in and think you’re in a good place, that’s taking some steps backwards. If we’re going to challenge for the championship, I don’t think Missouri is the team to beat. We just need to keep pushing.”

Oklahoma State continues the weekend on Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. as it hosts No. 16 Iowa State in a Big 12 battle.

No. 5 Oklahoma State 23, No. 4 Missouri 9Jan. 22, 2016 :: Gallagher-Iba Arena :: Attendance – 3,743

125: No. 5 Eddie Klimara (OSU) dec. No. 10 Barlow McGhee (MU), 2-1 TB1
133: Gary Wayne Harding (OSU) dec. No. 10 Zach Synon (MU), 5-2
141: No. 1 Dean Heil (OSU) dec. No. 5 Matt Manley (MU), 3-1
149: No. 3 Lavion Mayes (MU) dec. No. 16 Anthony Collica (MU), 5-2

157: No. 7 Joe Smith (OSU) dec. LeRoy Barnes (MU), 10-4
165: No. 1 Alex Dieringer (OSU) dec. No. 5 Daniel Lewis (MU), 4-3
174: No 9 Blaise Butler (MU) dec. No. 3 Kyle Crutchmer (OSU), 3-1 SV1
184: No. 19 Nolan Boyd (OSU) dec. No. 4 Willie Miklus (MU), 7-2
197: No. 2 J’Den Cox (MU) dec. Andrew Marsden (OSU), 7-3
285: No. 5 Austin Marsden (OSU) TF5 James Romero (MU), 16-0; 1:25

No. 21 Indiana Topples Michigan State, 20-15

Three Hoosiers pick up decisive bonus points in IU’s third conference win

Dual Results

January 22, 2015

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The Indiana wrestling team edged Michigan State in the final bout of the day for a 20-15 win. Three Hoosiers—Jake Danishek, Nate Jackson, and Luke Blanton—earn bonus point victories to lift the Hoosiers to 6-1 on the season.

INDIANA vs. MICHIGAN STATE • East Lansing, Mich.
January 22, 2016 • Jenison Field House
Results: Indiana vs. Michigan State
Weight
Indiana Hoosiers * Record Result Michigan State Spartans Record
Score
20 (6-1, 3-1) 15 (0-11, 0-6)
Elijah Oliver, Fr. * 23-4 (3-1) D, 4-3 Mitch Rogaliner, r-So. 9-12 (4-2)
133 Alonzo Shepherd, Sr. 11-12 (1-3) D, 5-2 Garth Yenter, r-Jr. * 9-13 (1-4)
141 Cole Weaver, r-Fr. 17-11 (1-3) D, 7-0 Javier Gasca, r-So. * 15-4 (5-1)
149 Luke Blanton, r-So. * 16-7 (3-1) MD, 15-4 Kaelan Richards, r-Jr. 1-9 (0-5)
157** Jake Danishek, r-Fr.* 12-5 (1-3) INJ, 5:25 Joe Johnson, r-Sr. 7-13 (0-6)
165 Bryce Martin, r-Fr. 16-12 (1-3) D, 14-10 Dean Vettese, r-So. * 5-8 (1-4)
174 #6 Nate Jackson, r-Jr. * 24-2 (4-0) MD, 16-6 Shane Shadaia, r-Fr. 5-11 (1-5)
184 Matt Irick, r-Jr. 12-10 (1-2) D, 4-2 Shwan Shadaia, r-Fr. * 9-8 (1-3)
197 Jake Masengale, r-So. 7-13 (1-3) D, 7-0 Jacob Cooper, Fr. * 6-9 (3-3)
285 Garret Goldman, r-Sr. 13-10 (3-1) D, 3-1 Dimitrius Renfroe, r-Jr. 2-16 (0-6)
* denotes match winner
** denotes starting point of the dual
Parentheses indicate Big Ten dual record

Jake Danishek battled to his first career Big Ten dual win in the match-opening 157 lbs. bout. Danishek held an 8-3 lead in the final seconds of the third period, when Spartan Joe Johnson left the mat for a concussion evaluation. Johnson did not return for the final 35 seconds, giving Danishek the injury default win and an early 6-0 lead for the Hoosiers.

Sixth-ranked Nate Jackson followed with a dominating 16-6 major decision over Shane Shadaia. Jackson opened with a 6-2 lead at the end of the first, then extended his lead to 12-5 two minutes later. A quick escape to start the third, followed by two takedowns from Jackson, put the bout out of reach for Michigan State.

Jackson is now 24-2, and remains unbeaten in Big Ten dual play. The Hoosier junior has earned bonus point victories in 16 of his 24 wins.

Garret Goldman is off to the best start of his career against Big Ten competition, and he continued that with a 3-1 decision over Dimitrius Renfroe in the heavyweight bout. The bout was tied at 1-1 with 30 seconds remaining in the third period when Goldman secured the decisive takedown.

Goldman is on a three-match winning streak in the Big Ten with an overall record of 13-10.

Elijah Oliver extended Indiana's lead to 16-9 with a tight 4-3 decision over rising Spartan Mitch Rogaliner. Oliver took the lead with 90 seconds remaining in the match, picking up an escape to break the 3-3 tie.

The Spartans chipped back into Indiana's lead with decision wins in the 133 lbs. and 141 lbs. bouts, bringing the team score to 16-15. The match headed to the decisive final bout of the day, pitting Indiana'sLuke Blanton against Michigan State's Kaelan Richards.
Blanton started the bout with a takedown, and then gave up an escape for a 2-1 lead at the end of the first period. Two more takedowns by Blanton in the second extended his lead to 7-2 with two minutes remaining. Blanton left his foot on the gas and picked up the major decision to secure an Indiana win.

Although the Hoosiers and Spartans split the bout card, taking five wins each, the Spartans were unable to pick up any bonus point victories. Valiant performances in defeat by Bryce Martin, Jake Masengale, andCole Weaver prevented major decisions kept the Spartans at bay.

With that win, the Hoosiers earn their third Big Ten victory. It's the first time since the 2009-10 season that Indiana had at least three wins in the Big Ten.

Up Next: No. 21 Indiana (6-1, 3-1 Big Ten) vs. No. 8 Michigan (8-1, 3-0 Big Ten)
Sunday, January 24 | 1:00 p.m. ET
Ann Arbor, Mich. | Cliff Keen Arena

Indiana will continue their trek through Michigan with a stop in Ann Arbor, where they'll clash with the No. 8 Michigan Wolverines. The Hoosiers face another tough test against Big Ten competition, as nine-of-10 Wolverine starters are nationally ranked.

After their dual against Michigan, the Hoosiers return home for a showdown against the No. 9 Ohio State Buckeyes on Friday, January 29 at 7:00 p.m. Admission is free to the public, and the dual will air live on BTN Plus (subscription required).--
Nick Reith
Wrestling, Water Polo

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Friday, January 22, 2016

MIZZOU WRESTLING - @MizzouWrestling | MIZZOU ATHLETICS - @MizzouAthletics

CONTACT – Andrew Melroe (melroea@missouri.edu)

No. 4 @MizzouWrestling Falls to No. 5 Oklahoma State
Mayes stays undefeated, Cox and Butler grab wins

STILLWATER, Okla. – In a dual which featured ranked wrestlers in 17 of the 20 weight classes, Mizzou Wrestling (9-1, 6-0) lost its first match of the season, 23-9, to No. 5 Oklahoma State (7-2, 4-0) Friday night. The No. 4-ranked Tigers scored decision wins from redshirt junior 149-pounder Lavion Mayes (Mascoutah, Ill.), redshirt senior 174-pounder Blaise Butler (Belvidere, Ill.), and junior 197-pounder J’den Cox (Columbia, Mo.), but could not overcome a 9-0 deficit after the Cowboys scored wins in the first three bouts.

The loss was Mizzou’s first lost in dual competition since Jan. 31, 2014, when the Tigers also lost to Oklahoma State in the same building, Gallagher-Iba Arena.

In the first match of the night, redshirt sophomore 125-pounder Barlow McGhee (Rock Island, Ill.) pushed No. 5-ranked Eddie Klimara into overtime, but the Cowboy grappler scored an escape in the tiebreaker overtime for the 2-1 win. The Cowboys were up 9-0 when Mayes stepped onto the mat against Anthony Collica. Mayes scored takedowns in second and third-period, along with an escape at the beginning of the third period to defeat Collica, 5-3. Mayes improved to a stellar 10-0 in dual competition with the victory.

In arguably the most impressive match of the night, redshirt freshman 165-pounder Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs, Mo.) amassed over four minutes of riding time against No. 1-ranked Alex Dieringer, but fell just short to the two-time defending national champion, 4-3.

Ninth-ranked Butler squared up against No. 3-ranked Kyle Crutchmer in the 174 pound bout. Butler and Crutchmer traded escapes in the second and third period, sending the bout to overtime. Butler made quick work of the Cowboy grappler, scoring a takedown in the first overtime period for the sudden-victory, 3-1.

Cox improved to 19-1 overall and 9-1 in dual competition with a 7-3 win over Andrew Marsden in the 197-pound match, the final three points of the night for the Tigers.

#TigerStyle returns home next weekend for two duals inside the Hearnes Center. Mizzou hosts No. 7-ranked Oklahoma on Saturday and Old Dominion on Sunday. Match start time is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. and 1 p.m., respectively.

For all the latest on Mizzou Wrestling, stay tuned to MUTigers.com and follow the team on 651-343-3272

O: 573-882-7167

melroea@missouri.edu

@AndrewMelroe

-------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brewer, Christopher J <christopher-brewer@hawkeyesports.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 8:42 PM
Subject: Iowa Wrestling recap -- No. 2 Hawkeyes Return Home, Roll Purdue, 39-4
To:

Play-by-play attached.

University of Iowa Wrestling

Athletic Communications Contact: Chris Brewer

No. 2 Hawkeyes Return Home, Roll Purdue, 39-4

Hawkeyes pile up points in first Carver-Hawkeye Arena appearance since Dec. 10

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Six University of Iowa wrestlers scored bonus points to propel the second-ranked Hawkeyes to a 39-4 win over No. 20 Purdue on Friday at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

The Hawkeyes got two falls, one technical fall, and three major decisions, but the biggest applause of the night came following an otherwise routine 6-0 decision at 141.

Wrestling at 141 pounds in a dual for the first time in his career, senior Brody Grothus defeated 17th-ranked Danny Sabatello in his first Carver-Hawkeye Arena appearance since December 2014. Grothus was an NCAA qualifier at 149 in 2014, but has wrestled just four times since missing the entire 2015 calendar year.

On Friday, he scored a takedown in the first, added an escape and stalling point in the second, and finished a final takedown 25 seconds before leaving the mat to a standing ovation.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve wrestled in front of these fans,” Grothus said. “The fans are special because they give you that little boost. I was in on that third period shot and I have to give some credit to the fans there, I heard them and they pushed me to get that last takedown.”

The Hawkeyes won nine-of-10 bouts overall and have won 50 of a possible 60 matches in the Big Ten Conference. Iowa is now 6-0 in the Big Ten and has outscored their opposition 215-34 in those six wins.

As he’s done all season, Thomas Gilman opened the dual with bonus points at 125. Gilman scored 11 takedowns to win 23-8 and earn his team-best fourth technical fall. In 10 duals at the leadoff spot, Gilman has five pins, four technical falls, and one major decision.

Gilman’s win gave Iowa a 5-0 team lead, and the Hawkeyes stretched it to 15-0 by surrendering just two points (both escapes) from 133-149. Cory Clark won 12-0 at 133, Grothus earned the 6-0 win at 141, and Brandon Sorensen won 8-2 at 149.

Purdue scored a point via technical violation one minute, 54 seconds into the 157-pound match, but 43 seconds later Edwin Cooper, Jr. rolled 15th-ranked Dough Welch to his back to record a first-period fall. That win gave Iowa a 21-0 lead at the break.

“I just need to keep being consistent, keep getting wins, and move to a higher level,” said Cooper. “The season is going well, but I need to keep scoring points and getting better.”

Purdue scored its first takedown of the night with 1:10 left in the first period at 165. Seventh-ranked Chad Welch erased a 2-0 deficit and scored 15 of the final 17 points to defeat Burke Paddock, 15-4.

The Hawkeyes closed the dual with four straight wins, each one better than the next. Alex Meyer improved to 12-0 at home with an 8-4 decision at 174. Sammy Brooks scored a 14-4 major decision at 184. Nathan Burak improved to 16-0 with a 22-7 technical fall at 197, and Sam Stoll finished the evening with his team-best seventh fall.

“I don’t (often) say a whole lot about feeling good about things,” said UI head coach Tom Brands. “I really like this team though because they score points. They are trying to score points, and they will need to score points. We will need them at Big Tens, at the NCAAs, and Sunday at Nebraska. We know they’ll be ready and we have got to be ready.”

Iowa returns to the mat Sunday in Lincoln, Nebraska. The Hawkeyes (12-0, 6-0) and 11th-ranked Huskers (9-3, 3-3) meet at 2 p.m. (CT) at the Devaney Sports Center.

NOTES: Attendance was 8,536… Iowa held a 37-4 advantage in takedown… The Hawkeyes are 6-0 in the Big Ten for the sixth time under Tom Brands… Iowa’s returning All-Americans improved to 64-1… Gilman improved to 16-0 with 14 wins by bonus points; his 16-match win streak is a career high… Burak has won a career-best 16 straight matches with 10 wins by bonus points… Sam Stoll recorded his team-best seventh fall… Grothus had not wrestled a Carver-Hawkeye Arena since Dec. 6, 2014 against Michigan State… Meyer (12-0) and Stoll (7-0) are both undefeated at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in their careers.

#2 Iowa 39, #20 Purdue 4

125 -- #2 Thomas Gilman (IA) tech. fall Ben Thornton (PU), 23-8; 5-0

133 -- #3 Cory Clark (IA) major dec. Luke Welch (PU), 12-0; 9-0

141 -- Brody Grothus (IA) dec. #17 Danny Sabatello (PU), 6-0; 12-0

149 -- #2 Brandon Sorensen (IA) dec. Alex Griffin (PU), 8-2; 15-0

157 -- #16 Edwin Cooper, Jr. (IA) pinned#15 Doug Welch (PU), 2:37; 21-0

165 -- #7 Chad Welch (PU) major dec. Burke Paddock (IA), 15-4; 21-4

174 -- #12 Alex Meyer (IA) dec. Jacob Morrissey (PU), 8-4; 24-4

184 -- #7 Sammy Brooks (IA) major dec. Tanner Lynde (PU), 14-4; 28-4

197 -- #3 Nathan Burak (IA) tech. fall Drake Stein (PU), 23-7; 33-4

285 -- #7 Sam Stoll (IA) pinned Tyler Kral (PU), 4:04; 39-4

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, January 22, 2016
Attachment: Scoresheet (pdf)

Despite Pair of Pins, Cal Poly Falls to Northern Colorado, 22-19
— Cal Poly Wrestling —

GREELEY, Colo. — Falls by Colton Schilling and Colt Shorts were not enough as Cal Poly fell to Northern Colorado 22-19 in a non-conference dual wrestling meet Friday night in Bank of Colorado Arena.

Coach Brendan Buckley’s Mustangs built a 15-8 lead by winning three of the first five bouts, including the falls by Schilling and Shorts, but the host Bears rallied for a 19-19 tie heading into the final bout.

Northern Colorado heavyweight Brian Macchione earned a 6-3 decision over Spencer Empey to snap the deadlock and improve the Bears’ dual meet record to 2-4. Cal Poly lost its fifth straight dual, falling to 1-6 on the year.

Cal Poly freshman David Gonzalez (9-12) opened the dual meet with a 2-0 decision over Jesse Reed at 125 pounds, scoring an escape in the second period and riding time in the final period.

Schilling (9-5) pinned Colton Orrino in 6 minutes, 21 seconds at 141 pounds after building n 8-3 lead with three takedowns, an escape and a penalty point.

Shorts gave the Mustangs their 15-8 advantage with his fall in 6 minutes, 36 seconds over Eleazar De Luca at 157 pounds. Now 11-6 for the season, Shorts scored two takedowns in the final period for a 5-2 lead before pinning De Luca.

Mitch Woods (9-11) earned his third straight win with a 10-2 major decision over Thomas Chisholm at 184, giving Cal Poly a 19-15 lead with two bouts to go. After a scoreless first period, Woods accumulated three takedowns, an escape, two penalty points and riding time for his first major of the year.

Northern Colorado won the final two bouts to clinch the dual meet victory.

Mustang 197-pounder J.T. Goodwin, who won his first eight matches of the year, four by fall, is now 13-8 for the season after dropping a 10-1 major decision and Empey couldn’t recover from a 3-0 deficit in the final period in his 6-3 loss to Macchione.

The Bears, who edged Cal Poly 23-22 in an outdoor dual meet a year ago in San Luis Obispo, now lead the all-time series 3-1.

Cal Poly wrestles at Wyoming on Saturday night.

Cal Poly (19) at Northern Colorado (22):
125 — David Gonzalez (CP) dec. Jesse Reed (UNC) 2-0
133 — Rico Montoya (UNC) by tech fall over Jason DelaCruz (CP) 17-0, 5:57
141 — Colton Schilling (CP) pinned Colton Orrino (UNC) 6:21
149 — Timmy Box (UNC) dec. Joshy Cortez (CP) 7-4
157 — Colt Shorts (CP) pinned Eleazar De Luca (UNC) 6:36
165 — Keilan Torres (UNC) maj. dec. Xavier Johnson (CP) 10-0
174 — Tanner Davis (UNC) dec. Sohrab Movahedi (CP) 8-6
184 — Mitch Woods (CP) maj. dec. Thomas Chisholm (UNC) 10-2
197 — Trent Noon (UNC) maj. dec. J.T. Goodwin (CP) 10-1
285 — Brian Macchione (UNC) dec. Spencer Empey (CP) 6-3

From: Brewer, Christopher J<christopher-brewer@hawkeyesports.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 8:03 PM
Subject: Iowa wrestling box score -- #2 Iowa 39, #20 Purdue 4 -- recap to follow
To:

#2 Iowa 39, #20 Purdue 4

125 -- #2 Thomas Gilman (IA) tech. fall Ben Thornton (PU), 23-8; 5-0

133 -- #3 Cory Clark (IA) major dec. Luke Welch (PU), 12-0; 9-0

141 -- Brody Grothus (IA) dec. #17 Danny Sabatello (PU), 6-0; 12-0

149 -- #2 Brandon Sorensen (IA) dec. Alex Griffin (PU), 8-2; 15-0

157 -- #16 Edwin Cooper, Jr. (IA) pinned#15 Doug Welch (PU), 2:37; 21-0

165 -- #7 Chad Welch (PU) major dec. Burke Paddock (IA), 15-4; 21-4

174 -- #12 Alex Meyer (IA) dec. Jacob Morrissey (PU), 8-4; 24-4

184 -- #7 Sammy Brooks (IA) major dec. Tanner Lynde (PU), 14-4; 28-4

197 -- #3 Nathan Burak (IA) tech. fall Drake Stein (PU), 23-7; 33-4

285 -- #7 Sam Stoll (IA) pinned Tyler Kral (PU), 4:04; 39-4

Team Records:

Iowa: 12-0, 6-0

Purdue: 7-3, 2-2

BROOKINGS, S.D. — The South Dakota State University wrestling team ran its winning streak to seven by winning a pair of duals Friday at Frost Arena. The Jackrabbits, 8-5 overall, opened with a 34-12 victory over SIU Edwardsville and closed the evening with a 23-10 win over CSU Bakersfield.

Against SIUE, the Jackrabbits won the first five matches, highlighted by pins from Seth Gross at 141 pounds and 149-pounder Alex Kocer. Ben Gillette took SDSU out to a quick start by scoring an 11-2 major decision over Joe Antonelli in the opening bout of the dual.

Brance Simms and sixth-ranked Cody Pack closed the first half of the dual with decisions at 133 and 157 pounds, respectively.

SIUE got on the board in the 165-pound match as Nate Higgins recorded a victory by injury default over Luke Zilverberg.

David Kocer and Nate Rotert each tallied pins for the Jackrabbits’ last two victories in the dual, giving SDSU four wins by fall.

In the nitecap against CSU Bakersfield, the Jackrabbits again won the first five matches — this time all by decision. Gross scored a 4-2 victory over returning national qualifier Ian Nickell in the 141-pound bout, while Pack shut out A.J. Fierro, 6-0.

After reserve Logan Peterson lost by decision at 165 pounds, David Kocer put the Jackrabbits back on track with a 14-0 major decision over the Roadrunners’ Bryan Battisto in the 174-pound match. With the win, Kocer became the first Jackrabbit to reach the 20-win mark this season, improving to 20-9 overall.

Brady Ayers also turned in a major-decision victory in the 184-pound match, posting a 13-2 win over Dylan Bollinger.

In a battle between ranked wrestlers, eighth-ranked Reuben Franklin notched a 14-2 major-decision victory over Rotert, who entered the match ranked 14th.

CSU Bakersfield opened the triangular by defeating SIU Edwardsville, 33-6.

The Jackrabbits resume home action Sunday, hosting Air Force in a Big 12 Conference dual. Start time for the Military Appreciation dual is set for 11:30 a.m. at Frost Arena.

CSU BAKERSFIELD 33, SIU EDWARDSVILLE 6

125: Sergio Mendez (CSUB) def. Joe Antonelli (SIUE), by fall 0:25
133: Carlos Herrera (CSUB) dec. Dakota Leach (SIUE), 9-0
141: Ian Nickell (CSUB) tech. fall John Muldoon (SIUE), 15-0 (5:10)
149: Coleman Hammond (CSUB) dec. John Fahy (SIUE), 9-8
157: A.J. Fierro (CSUB) dec. Eric Travers (SIUE), 6-4
165: Adam Fierro (CSUB) dec. Nate Higgins (SIUE), 5-2
174: Bryan Battisto (CSUB) dec. Clayton Bass (SIUE), 8-2
184: Derek Nagel (SIUE) def. Dylan Bollinger (CSUB), by fall 2:05
197: #8 Reuben Franklin (CSUB) major dec. Jake Tindle (SIUE), 10-1
HWT: Matt Williams (CSUB) dec. Chris Johnson (SIUE), 3-1

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 34, SIU EDWARDSVILLE 12

125: Ben Gillette (SDSU) major dec. Joe Antonelli (SIUE), 11-2
133: #17 Brance Simms (SDSU) dec. Dakota Leach (SIUE), 7-3
141: Seth Gross (SDSU) def. John Muldoon (SIUE), by fall 6:10
149: Alex Kocer (SDSU) def. John Fahy (SIUE), by fall 5:59
157: #6 Cody Pack (SDSU) dec. Eric Travers (SIUE), 5-1
165: Nate Higgins (SIUE) def. Luke Zilverberg (SDSU), by injury default (5:24)
174: David Kocer (SDSU) def. Clayton Bass (SIUE), by fall 6:48
184: Derek Nagel (SIUE) dec. Brady Ayers (SDSU), 10-5
197: #14 Nate Rotert (SDSU) def. Jake Tindle (SIUE), by fall 3:27
HWT: Chris Johnson (SIUE) dec. Alex Macki (SDSU), 3-2

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 23, CSU BAKERSFIELD 10

125: Ben Gillette (SDSU) dec. Sergio Mendez (CSUB), 13-9
133: #17 Brance Simms (SDSU) dec. Carlos Herrera (CSUB), 3-1
141: Seth Gross (SDSU) dec. Ian Nickell (CSUB), 4-2
149: Alex Kocer (SDSU) dec. Coleman Hammond (CSUB), 8-2
157: #6 Cody Pack (SDSU) dec. A.J. Fierro (CSUB), 6-0
165: Adam Fierro (CSUB) dec. Logan Peterson (SDSU), 8-3
174: David Kocer (SDSU) major dec. Bryan Battisto (CSUB), 14-0
184: Brady Ayers (SDSU) major dec. Dylan Bollinger (CSUB), 13-2
197: #8 Reuben Franklin (CSUB) major dec. #14 Nate Rotert (SDSU), 14-2
HWT: Matt Williams (CSUB) dec. Alex Macki (SDSU), 4-0

Jason Hove
Assistant AD-Sports Information
South Dakota State University
Office: (605) 688-4623
Cell: (605) 695-1827
Fax: (605) 688-5999
E-Mail: Jason.Hove@sdstate.edu
Web: www.GoJacks.com
Twitter: @GoJacksSDSU @GoJacksWrestle

Fargo, N.D. – Air Force concluded Friday night Big 12 Conference action with a 14-23 loss to the Bison of North Dakota State. The Falcons would see victory in four of 10 weight classes with two Falcons earning bonus points. Air Force’s record drops to 5-3, 0-2 Big 12 while North Dakota State improved to 2-4, 2-0 Big 12.

The Bison would strike first with bonus points coming from #16 Josh Rodriguez’s technical fall over Drew Romero (18-2) in the 125 class. The Falcons struck back with #19 Josh Martinez’s 8-3 decision over Nico Colunga in the 133 class and Dylan Hyder’s major Decision over Tommy Watson (12-2) in the 141 class to bring the score to 7-5 in favor of Air Force.

The Bison would regain control with the 2-0 decision win in the 149 class, but the lead would be contested by Zach Stepan’s 7-3 decision in the 157 class to give the Falcons their last lead of the night.

The Falcons would go on to drop the next three bouts in the 165, 174 and 184 weight classes allowing the Bison to extended their lead to 20-10.

The Falcons would find themselves in striking distance yet again after Parker Hines commanded the 12-4 major decision in the 197 class putting the score at 14-20. Heavyweight wrestler Marcus Malecek was unable to wrangle the fall for the tie and would drop the 4-1 decision in the final bout of the night, finalizing the score at 23-14 in favor of North Dakota State.

Final results:

Air Force (5-2, 0-1 Big 12) at North Dakota State (1-4, 1-0 Big 12)

125: #16 Josh Rodriguez (SDSU) TF 5:23 Drew Romero (AF) – 18-2, SDSU 5-0

133: #19 Josh Martinez (AF) dec. Nico Colunga (SDSU) – 8-3, SDSU 5-3

141: Dylan Hyder (AF) MD Tommy Walton (SDSU) – 12-2, AF 7-5

149: Clay Ream (SDSU) dec. Jerry McGinty (AF) – 2-0, SDSU 8-7

157: Zach Stepan (AF) dec. Kyle Gliva (SDSU) – 7-3, AF 10-8

165: Grant Nehring (SDSU) dec. Alex Lopouchanski (AF) – 9-2, SDSU 11-10

174: Blake Thompson (SDSU) dec. Zen Ikehara (AF) – 5-3, SDSU 14-10

184: #6 Hayden Zillmer (SDSU) fall Anthony McLaughlin (AF) – Fall 2:52, SDSU 20-10

197: Parker Hines (AF) MD Logan Paxton (SDSU) – 12-4, SDSU 20-14

285: Ben Tynan (SDSU) dec. Marcus Malecek (AF) – 4-1, SDSU 23-14

Final Team Score: 23 (SDSU) – 14 (AF)

*Rankings based on Intermat

Air Force wrestling continues Big 12 Conference action against the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State on Sunday, Jan. 24, in Brooking South Dakota, at 11 a.m. CT.

Date: Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 7:04 PM
Subject: WRE: Bulls Stun #21 Old Dominion, 19-15
To: "dawvoice3@gmail.com" <dawvoice3@gmail.com>

fm4dftEIT4H8Cw6on00ZwRKFqE6GsE6V2MAJOYPFNYhpzwXIRevw07z_Jicg7Jy6XqHPNjIiJtrSWl_XPog69S09Gi5l3UBFbi-51yo_o1JxiiwAWg=s0-d-e1-ft

January 22, 2016

BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo, The State University of New York wrestling team stunned 21st-ranked Old Dominion, 19-15, in a Mid-American Conference dual at Alumni Arena on Friday night. It was the Bulls first MAC dual win since 2013 and first win over a ranked opponent since defeating #12 Nebraska in 2010.

"This win was huge for the program," head coach John Stutzman said. "We've had a lot of firsts this year. We beat Gardner-Webb for our first home dual win in a long time. Now we got our first MAC win in a long time. Getting these firsts is good for us. I think it will give our guys a little more confidence that they can do it."

Starting at 157, Tim Schaefer earned a two-point takedown early in overtime to win the opening match, 6-4, over Devin Geoghegan and set the tone for the evening. Schaefer improved to 6-10 on the season with the victory.

After Old Dominion tied the dual at 3, Muhamed McBryde earned a late takedown in the third period to pull ahead of Brooks Climmons for a 5-4 decision. McBryde evened his record at 6-6 on the year.

The marathon match of the dual went to James Benjamin. The UB junior earned an escape in the fifth overtime and didn't allow a point in the sixth overtime to win the match, 3-2. It was Benjamin's 12th victory of the season and put the Bulls ahead to stay, 9-6.

Jake Gunning extended the UB lead to 13-6 with a dominant 14-3 major decision over Andrew Snyder. Gunning continued to wrestle well, winning his fourth match in his last five duals, including a major decision, a tech fall and a pin.

The Bulls caught a break when Old Dominion's Emilion Saavedra, ranked 13th in the nation, was injured in warm ups and had to forfeit his match to Bryan Lantry. It gave six points to the Bulls and extended their lead to 19-9.

The Monarchs won the final two matches of the evening, but it wasn't enough as the Bulls held on for the four-point victory.

UB will remain at home and face another ranked opponent, #23 Ohio, on Sunday at 2 pm at Alumni Arena.

BUFFALO 19, Old Dominion 15
157: Tim Schaefer (UB) won by sudden victory over Devin Geoghegan (ODU), 6-4
165: Seldon Wright (ODU) won by decision over Tyler Rill (UB), 8-4
174: Muhamed McBryde (UB) won by decision over Brooks Climmons, 5-4
184: Jack Decow (ODU) won by decision over Joe Ariola (UB), 8-1
197: James Benjamin (UB) won by decision in the 6th overtime over Austin Corbin (ODU), 3-2
285: Jake Gunning (UB) won by major decision over Andrew Snyder (ODU), 14-3
125: Brandon Jeske (ODU) won by decision over Kyle Akins, 4-1
133: Bryan Lantry (UB) won by forfeit, 6-0
141: Chris Mecate (ODU) won by decision over Brandon Lapi, 7-1
149: Alexander Richardson (ODU) won by decision over Colt Cotten (UB), 6-0

To unsubscribe from this email, click here

Hr1pDaDqFeeG6oJyE4qW-6BQ4T7KQAPJ2f5D-xmI7cC27XUOKEz6mzp63mKG2iK9nO2Zk7GQCdNXb05d01UEDBf8NH0fkRnTumEbIxnmuDg9jBH1rPGNDw=s0-d-e1-ft

EAST LANSING, Mich. - Below are the results for Indiana's Friday, January 22 dual vs. Michigan State at Jenison Field House.

Recap to follow.

Results: No. 21 INDIANA 20, MICHIGAN STATE 15
157: Jake Danishek (Indiana) won by injury default over Joe Johnson (Michigan State), 5:25 | IU, 6-0
165: Dean Vettese (Michigan State) dec. Bryce Martin (Indiana), 14-10 | IU, 6-3
174: #6 Nate Jackson (Indiana) maj. dec. Shane Shadaia (Michigan State), 17-6 | IU, 10-3
184: Shwan Shadaia (Michigan State) dec. Matt Irick (Indiana), 4-2 | IU, 10-6
197: Jacob Cooper (Michigan State) dec. Jake Masengale (Indiana), 7-0 | IU, 10-9
285: Garret Goldman (Indiana) dec. Dimitrius Renfroe (Michigan State), 3-1 | IU, 13-9
125: Elijah Oliver (Indiana) dec. Mitch Rogaliner (Michigan State), 4-3 | IU, 16-9
133: Garth Yenter (Michigan State) dec. Alonzo Shepherd (Indiana), 5-2 | IU, 16-12
141: Javier Gasca (Michigan State) dec. Cole Weaver (Indiana), 7-0 | IU, 16-15
149: Luke Blanton (Indiana) maj. dec. Kaelan Richards (Michigan State), 15-4 | IU, 20-15

Up Next:
No. 21 Indiana (6-1, 3-1 Big Ten)
: at No. 8 Michigan • Sunday, January 24 • 1:00 p.m. ET
Michigan State (0-11, 0-6 Big Ten): at No. 9 Ohio State • Sunday, January 24 • 2:00 p.m. ET

--
Nick Reith
Wrestling, Water Polo

The Roadrunners defeated SIU Edwardsville 33-6 in the opener. The dual began at 125 pounds where Sergio Mendez pinned Joe Antonelli in just 25 seconds. Carlos Herrera defeated Dakota Leach 4-2 at 133. Ian Nickell shutout John Muldoon and won by technical fall (15-0) at 141 pounds.

Coleman Hammond used a riding time advantage to post a 9-8 victory at 149 pounds against John Fahy. AJ Fierro defeated Eric Travers by a 6-4 count at 157. Adam Fierro defeated Nate Higgins 5-2 in the 165-pound match. Bryan Battisto charted the victory for CSUB at 174 when he won 8-2 over Clayton Bass.

Derek Nagel recorded the lone SIUE team points when he pinned Dylan Bollinger at the 2:05 mark of the 184-pound bout. Reuben Franklin tallied his eighth major decision of the year when defeated Jake Tindle 10-2 at 197 pounds. Matt Williams wrapped up the dual with a 3-1 victory for the Roadrunners at heavyweight.

In the nightcap, South Dakota State broke CSUB’s five-dual winning streak when the Jackrabbits defeated the Roadrunners 23-10.

The dual again began at 125 pounds where Mendez fell 13-9 to Ben Gillette to open the meet. No. 17 Brance Simms handed Herrera a 3-1 loss to put the Jackrabbits up 6-0 in the dual. Seth Gross defeated Nickell by a 4-2 count to increase the South Dakota State to nine.

Alex Kocer won 8-2 against Hammond at 149 pounds to make it 12-0. No. 6 Cody Pack continued the winning streak for the Jacks at 157 when he defeated AJ Fierro 6-0. Adam Fierro got the ‘Runners on the board with an 8-3 victory at 165 pounds. South Dakota State put the dual out of reach when David Kocer (174) and Brady Ayers (184) won their respective matches.

The 197-pound bout pitted Franklin, who is ranked as high as eighth in the national polls against Nate Rotert who is ranked as high as ninth in the polls. Franklin improved to 25-5 on the year with a 14-2 major decision. The redshirt senior has won six in a row and 10 of his last 11 matches. 18 of his victories this season have come via major decision, technical fall, or by pin.

In the final match of the night, Williams posted his third consecutive victory as he shutout Alex Macki 4-0 to make it the final 23-10.

CSUB returns home next Sunday when the Roadrunners host Grand Canyon (5-14) at 5 p.m. Tickets are available at Vallitix.com.

~www.GoRunners.com~

CSU Bakersfield 33, SIU Edwardsville 6

125 Sergio Mendez (CSUB) pinned Joe Antonelli, at :25

133 Carlos Herrera (CSUB) def. Dakota Leach, 4-2

141 Ian Nickell (CSUB) def. John Muldoon by TF (15-0), at 5:10

149 Coleman Hammond (CSUB) def. John Fahy, 9-8

157 AJ Fierro (CSUB) def. Erik Travers, 6-4

165 Adam Fierro (CSUB) def. Nate Higgins, 5-2

174 Bryan Battisto (CSUB) def. Clayton Bass, 8-2

184 Derek Nagel (SIUE) pins Dylan Bollinger, at 2:05

197 Reuben Franklin (CSUB) def. Jake Tindle, 10-2

285 Matt Williams (CSUB) def. Chris Johnson, 3-1

South Dakota State 23, CSU Bakersfield 10

125 Ben Gillette (SDSU) def. Sergio Mendez, 13-9

133 Brance Simms (SDSU) def. Carlos Herrera, 3-1

141 Seth Gross (SDSU) def. Ian Nickell, 4-2

149 Alex Kocer (SDSU) def. Colemand Hammond, 8-2
157 Cody Pack (SDSU) def. AJ Fierro, 6-0
165 Adam Fierro (CSUB) def. Logan Peterson, 8-3

174 David Kocer (SDSU) def. Bryan Battisto, 14-0

184 Brady Ayers (SDSU) def. Dylan Bollinger (CSUB), 13-2

197 Reuben Franklin (CSUB) def. Nate Rotert (SDSU), 14-2

285 Matt Williams (CSUB) def. Alex Macki (SDSU), 4-0

CSU Bakersfield Athletic Communications

9001 Stockdale Highway

Bakersfield, CA 93311

661-654-3071

sid@csub.edu

Twitter: @CSUBAthletics

Athletic Communications

January 22, 2016

Wrestling Edged by Binghamton on Spirit Night, 16-15

PHILADELPHIA - The Drexel wrestling team fell to Binghamton by a score of 16-15 on Spirit Night at the DAC on Friday night. The Dragons secured victories in five of the ten matches, but it was not enough to overcome the Bearcats.

Drexel jumped out to an early 9-0 advantage after the first three matches. Zack Fuentes started things off for the Dragons with a strong 7-2 decision at 125. David Pearce followed at 133 by edging Binghamton's Jacob Nicholson by a score of 5-4. Pearce and Nicholson were tied at 4-4 as time expired in regulation, but riding time gave Pearce the advantage and ultimately the win.

141 was another close match as Kevin Devoy Jr. and Dylan Caruana remained scoreless deep into the second period. After Caruana was awarded one point for an escape, Devoy took the lead with a reversal that put him ahead 2-1. A late escape from Binghamton knotted the score up at 2-2, but Devoy's control of riding time earned him a 3-2 victory and gave the Dragons a 9-0 lead.

The Bearcats got on the board in the 149 match after a tough battle as Frankie Garcia handed No. 13 Matthew Cimato his first dual loss of the season with a 2-0 sudden victory decision. Binghamton would then cut Drexel's lead to 9-7 as Vincent DePrez took a 14-5 major decision from Ryan O'Connor at 157.

With the Bearcats trailing by just two, Austin Rose came up for the Dragons at 165 and extended Drexel's advantage to 12-7 with a 7-3 decision over Anthony DePrez. However, Binghamton's Jack McKeever would bring the Bearcats within two again in the next match with a 2-1 decision over Nick Elmer at 174.

With just three matches to go, Stephen Loiseau was put up against No. 17 Steve Schneider and despite keeping the match close throughout, Loiseau would ultimately drop a 3-0 decision to give the Bearcats their first lead of the night, 13-12. Nezar Haddad came out strong for Drexel at 197, but was defeated, 12-8, by Binghamton's Mark Tracy which gave the Bearcats a 16-12 advantage with just one match remaining. Joey Goodhart was able to pick up a 1-0 decision in the heavyweight match, but it was not enough as Binghamton edged the Dragons by a total team score of 16-15.

With the loss, the Dragons move to 4-7 overall and 1-3 in EIWA action while Binghamton improves to 7-4, 4-2 EIWA.

Drexel Wrestling returns to action on Sunday as it will host Army West Point at the Daskalakis Athletic Center. The conference dual between the Dragons and the Black Knights will now begin at 3:30 p.m. as it was rescheduled due to inclement weather.

Binghamton 16, Drexel 15
125: Zack Fuentes (DU) DEC Steven Bulzomi (Binghamton), 7-2
133: David Pearce (DU) DEC Jacob Nicholson (Binghamton), 5-4
141: Kevin Devoy Jr. (DU) DEC Dylan Caruana (Binghamton), 3-2
149: Frankie Garcia (Binghamton) DEC No. 13 Matthew Cimato (DU), 2-0 (SV-1)
157: Vincent DePrez (Binghamton) MAJ Ryan O'Connor (DU), 14-5
165: Austin Rose (DU) DEC Anthony DePrez (Binghamton), 7-3
174: Jack McKeever (Binghamton) DEC Nick Elmer (DU), 2-1
184: No. 17 Steve Schneider (Binghamton) DEC Stephen Loiseau (DU), 3-0
197: Mark Tracy (Binghamton) DEC Nezar Haddad (DU), 12-8
285: Joey Goodhart (DU) DEC Connor Calkins (Binghamton), 1-0

-DU-

---

Molly Sweeney

Department of Athletics

Drexel University

3141 Chestnut Street

Philadelphia, PA 19104

drexeldragons.com

I AM A DRAGON!

nuary 22, 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NIU Wrestling: Huskies Beaten by Ranked Ohio, 23-10

NIU held an early 7-3 lead but couldn't maintain that advantage. Full Results Listed Below.

ATHENS, Ohio – With "Snowmaggedon 2016" approaching eastern Ohio, the Northern Illinois University wrestling team had its dual matchup with No. 23 Ohio moved up two hours on Friday evening. The weather outside was cold, but the Huskies got off to a hot start to lead 7-3 before eventually dropping to a 23-10 final defeat in the dual against the nationally ranked Bobcats.

The Huskies (5-6, 0-3 MAC) were unable to ride the early momentum as the Bobcats (7-3, 2-3 MAC) won five consecutive matches in the middle of the dual to erase NIU’s early lead. No. 15 Steve Bleise (Chelsea, Mich./Chelsea) at 141 pounds won by decision at 141 pounds and Gabe Morse (Alto, Mich./Lowell) followed with a major decision at 149 to give the Huskies their early advantage. But NIU waited until heavyweight for its next win, with Arthur Bunce (Munith, Mich./Dansville) posting an impressive 2-0 victory.

NIU wrestling head coach Ryan Ludwig was pleased with Bunce and the other victorious Huskies, but was disappointed in the results of some other matches that could’ve went NIU’s way and swung the dual in the favor of the Huskies.

“We’re looking for better execution. We had opportunities to win matches that we dropped,” Ludwig said afterwards. “Arthur Bunce did have a very nice performance and a hard-fought win. He was certainly ready to win. We’ll be back working hard now in preparation for Eastern Michigan.”

NIU will face another ranked opponent in conference play for the fourth time this season when the Huskies travel to Eastern Michigan next Friday for a dual matchup set to start at 4 p.m. ET/3 p.m. CT in Ypsilanti.

#23 Ohio 23, NIU 10133: #15 Cameron Kelly (OHIO) over Austin Eicher (NIU) (Dec 9-3)
141: #15 Steve Bleise (NIU) over Noah Forrider (OHIO) (Dec 5-2)
149: Gabe Morse (NIU) over Zach Wilson (OHIO) (MD 12-3)
157: Spartak Chino (OHIO) over Andrew Morse (NIU) (Dec 9-4)
165: Austin Reese (OHIO) over Shaun’Qae McMurtry (NIU) (Dec 4-2)
174: #11 Cody Walters (OHIO) over Trace Engelkes (NIU) (Dec 7-1)
184: Andrew Romanchik (OHIO) over Quinton Rosser (NIU) (Dec 4-0)
197: #13 Phil Wellington (OHIO) over Zach Benkovich (NIU) (TF 20-5 7:00)
285: Arthur Bunce (NIU) over Jesse Webb (OHIO) (Dec 2-0)
125: Shakur Laney (OHIO) over Alijah Jeffery (NIU) (Dec 8-7)

--NIU--

RJ Sepich
NIU Athletics Communications Graduate Assistant:
WSOC, WREST, WTEN, WT&F/XC
Email: RSepich@niu.edu; RJSepich@gmail.com
Cell: (724) 822-3107
Twitter: @RJSepich
www.niuhuskies.com
NIU Huskie Athletics
We develop CHAMPIONS, in the classroom, in competition and in life.

Attachment: Scoresheet (pdf)

Cal Poly Wrestling Team Falls to Wyoming, 36-3
— Cal Poly Wrestling —

LARAMIE, Wyoming — Wyoming parlayed a fall, a pair of technical falls and two major decisions into a 36-3 victory over Cal Poly in a non-conference dual wrestling meet Saturday night in the UniWyo Sports Complex.

Armed with a quartet of wrestlers in the initial NCAA coaches' panel rankings of the 2015-16 season, the Cowboys improved to 3-5 in duals this season while Cal Poly fell to 1-7. With the win, Wyoming grabbed a 5-4 lead in the overall series against the Mustangs.

Mustang junior 157-pounder Colt Shorts was the lone winner for Cal Poly, earning a 5-2 decision against Archie Colgan, who is ranked No. 29 in the coaches rankings.

Shorts scored a takedown in the first period and an escape in the second period, taking a 3-1 lead into the final period. Colgan escaped early in the third period but Shorts clinched the win with a takedown, improving to 12-6 for the year.

Two other Mustangs lost decisions by a single point.

At 125, freshman David Gonzalez scored two takedowns and an escape in a 6-5 loss to Drew Templeman while J.T. Goodwin dropped a 5-4 decision at 197 pounds, tallying three escape and a penalty point.

Spencer fell 8-6 to Wyoming heavyweight Tanner Harris.

Wyoming 133-pounder Drake Foster won by fall while 165-pounder Kyle Pope and 184-pounder Ben Stroh posted wins by technical fall. Cole Mendenhall at 149 and Jace Jensen at 174 won by major decision.

Foster and Mustang Jason DelaCruz were tied at 12-12 after regulation, but Foster scored a takedown and pinned DelaCruz with one second to go in the first overtime period.

Cal Poly will be home for its final four dual meets of the season, starting Saturday, Jan. 30, against Grand Canyon at 7 p.m. in the Mott Athletics Center.

The Mustangs also host Oregon State on Feb. 5, Arizona State on Feb. 13 and Boise State on Feb. 14.

Cal Poly (3) at Wyoming (36):
125 — Drew Templeman (W) dec. David Gonzalez (CP) 6-5
133 — Drake Foster (W) pinned Jason DelaCruz (CP) 7:59
141 — Bryce Meredith (W) dec. Colton Schilling (CP) 9-2
149 — Cole Mendenhall (W) maj. dec. Joshy Cortez (CP) 12-2
157 — Colt Shorts (CP) dec. Archie Colgan (W) 5-2
165 — Kyle Pope (W) by tech. fall over Joe Granger (CP) 19-4 (2:24)
174 — Jace Jensen (W) maj. dec. Sohrab Movahedi (CP) 10-0
184 — Ben Stroh (W) by tech. fall over Mitch Woods (CP) 17-0 (5:17)
197 — Brandon Tribble (W) dec. J.T. Goodwin (CP) 5-4
285 — Tanner Harris (W) dec. Spencer Empey (CP) 8-6
———
Eric Burdick
Director of Athletics Communications
(Football, Baseball, Wrestling, Men's and Women's Golf SID)
Cal Poly
Mott Athletics Center, Room 123
1 Grand Avenue
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407-0388
(805) 756-6550 (office)
(805) 550-3427 (cell)
(805) 756-2650 (fax)
eburdick@calpoly.edu
www.gopoly.com
www.youtube.com/calpolyathletics
www.twitter.com/cpmustangs
www.facebook.com/calpolymustangs

Date: Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 3:13 PM
Subject: Article: Edinboro 18, Rider 15
To: dawvoice3@gmail.com

To ensure delivery to your inbox, please add us to your address book.
Click here to view as a web page.

Edinboro 18, Rider 15
Courtesy Rider Sports Information
Sat, January 23, 2016
Uds9Vgd4eYADy6d6QeGIncCvn9LKs_Po45zMPkBpFk0og_dNlWYabZpDN5uJIVuS4ofs6CmFLBxApLC5Aazbnwj0A2qck_c-fJLgaDezuNCE4LoZFeUlC2Wc0h5Zf27dJAGXChC7fHNgtoXL=s0-d-e1-ft
Courtesy Peter G. Borg (Rider University)
Chad Walsh defeats 8th ranked wrestler​
College Wrestling
Edinboro University 18, Rider University 15
EDINBORO, PA—The Broncs won five of the 10 bouts but it was not enough to defeat 19th ranked Edinboro in an Eastern Wrestling League dual meet Saturday.
“Hopefully in another week or so we’ll be back to full strength,” said Rider head coach Gary Taylor.
Edinboro (7-6, 5-0 EWL), the defending EWL Champion, jumped out to a 5-0 lead with a tech fall, the deciding points in the match.
In battles of nationally ranked wrestlers, Rider sophomore Chad Walsh (Cherry Hill, NJ/Camden Catholic), ranked 13th, defeated Edinboro’s Austin Matthews, ranked eighth, 15-11. “Chad looked really good today,” Taylor said. “Chad set a great pace and he keeps getting better.”
Edinboro’s Patricio Lugo, ranked 12th, defeated Rider sophomore B.J. Clagon (Toms River, NJ/Toms River South), ranked 17th, 8-6. “B.J. lost to an outstanding freshman,” Taylor said. “He has to get through the mental toughness coming back from an injury.”
Also for Rider (5-8, 1-2 EWL) senior Robert Deutsch (Cherry Hill, NJ/Eastern Regional) won at 133 to cut the Edinboro lead to 5-3 and junior Paul Kirchner (Somerville, NJ/Somerville) won at 141 for a 6-5 Rider lead. “They both did a nice job today,” Taylor said. “Paulie got off to a good start. Deutsch wrestled well again. He has been wrestling well since he got back.”
Junior Ryan Wolfe (New Castle, Del./Caravel) won at 197 to cut the Edinboro lead to 18-12 and sophomore Mauro Correnti (Delran, N.J./Holy Cross) won at heavyweight over the 19th ranked wrestler for the final score. “Mauro did a great job,” Taylor said. “He’s starting to learn better positioning. Wolfe got the job done.”
Edinboro defeated Rider 20-16 last year, with each team winning five bouts. “We’re getting closer,” Taylor said. “If we were at full strength today we might have pulled it out, although Curt (Delia, filling in for 14th ranked Conor Brennan) did a good job today.”
Rider travels to Cleveland State for an EWL dual meet Sunday. “Cleveland State just had a good win over Clarion,” Taylor said. “All the EWL teams are tough. You have to show up and be ready in this league.”
Edinboro 18, Rider 15
125 -- Sean Russell-E tech fall Zach Valcarce-R 24-8 5-0
133 -- Robert Deutsch-R dec. Anthony Rivera-E 6-1 5-3
141 -- Paul Kirchner-R dec. Tyler Vath-E 13-7 5-6
149 -- Patricio Lugo-E dec. B.J. Clagon-R 8-6 8-6
157 -- Chad Walsh-R dec. Austin Matthews-E 15-11 8-9
165 -- Casey Fuller-E dec. Curt Delia-R 6-3 11-9
174 -- Patrick Jennings-E dec. Wayne Stinson-R 6-1 14-9
184 -- Vic Avery-E major dec. Michale Fagg-Daves –R 13-4 18-9
197 -- Ryan Wolfe-R dec. Vince Pickett-E 4-3 18-12
Hwt -- Mauro Correnti-R dec. Billy Miller-E 3-1 18-15

To remove your e-mail address from our mailing list, please click on Customer Care and select Remove From Mailing List from the Area of Interest list and specify your e-mail address. Note: This does not apply to opt-in e-mail. To modify your opt-in e-mail deliveries, log in to the site and modify your preferences. Customer Care
NeuLion
800 Central Park Drive
Sanford, FL 32771

Date: Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 3:13 PM
Subject: Article: Edinboro 18, Rider 15
To: dawvoice3@gmail.com

Edinboro 18, Rider 15
Courtesy Rider Sports Information
Sat, January 23, 2016
Uds9Vgd4eYADy6d6QeGIncCvn9LKs_Po45zMPkBpFk0og_dNlWYabZpDN5uJIVuS4ofs6CmFLBxApLC5Aazbnwj0A2qck_c-fJLgaDezuNCE4LoZFeUlC2Wc0h5Zf27dJAGXChC7fHNgtoXL=s0-d-e1-ft
Courtesy Peter G. Borg (Rider University)
Chad Walsh defeats 8th ranked wrestler
College Wrestling

Edinboro University 18, Rider University 15

EDINBORO, PA—The Broncs won five of the 10 bouts but it was not enough to defeat 19th ranked Edinboro in an Eastern Wrestling League dual meet Saturday.

“Hopefully in another week or so we’ll be back to full strength,” said Rider head coach Gary Taylor.

Edinboro (7-6, 5-0 EWL), the defending EWL Champion, jumped out to a 5-0 lead with a tech fall, the deciding points in the match.

In battles of nationally ranked wrestlers, Rider sophomore Chad Walsh (Cherry Hill, NJ/Camden Catholic), ranked 13th, defeated Edinboro’s Austin Matthews, ranked eighth, 15-11. “Chad looked really good today,” Taylor said. “Chad set a great pace and he keeps getting better.”

Edinboro’s Patricio Lugo, ranked 12th, defeated Rider sophomore B.J. Clagon (Toms River, NJ/Toms River South), ranked 17th, 8-6. “B.J. lost to an outstanding freshman,” Taylor said. “He has to get through the mental toughness coming back from an injury.”

Also for Rider (5-8, 1-2 EWL) senior Robert Deutsch (Cherry Hill, NJ/Eastern Regional) won at 133 to cut the Edinboro lead to 5-3 and junior Paul Kirchner (Somerville, NJ/Somerville) won at 141 for a 6-5 Rider lead. “They both did a nice job today,” Taylor said. “Paulie got off to a good start. Deutsch wrestled well again. He has been wrestling well since he got back.”

Junior Ryan Wolfe (New Castle, Del./Caravel) won at 197 to cut the Edinboro lead to 18-12 and sophomore Mauro Correnti (Delran, N.J./Holy Cross) won at heavyweight over the 19th ranked wrestler for the final score. “Mauro did a great job,” Taylor said. “He’s starting to learn better positioning. Wolfe got the job done.”

Edinboro defeated Rider 20-16 last year, with each team winning five bouts. “We’re getting closer,” Taylor said. “If we were at full strength today we might have pulled it out, although Curt (Delia, filling in for 14th ranked Conor Brennan) did a good job today.”

Rider travels to Cleveland State for an EWL dual meet Sunday. “Cleveland State just had a good win over Clarion,” Taylor said. “All the EWL teams are tough. You have to show up and be ready in this league.”

Edinboro 18, Rider 15

125 -- Sean Russell-E tech fall Zach Valcarce-R 24-8 5-0

133 -- Robert Deutsch-R dec. Anthony Rivera-E 6-1 5-3

141 -- Paul Kirchner-R dec. Tyler Vath-E 13-7 5-6

149 -- Patricio Lugo-E dec. B.J. Clagon-R 8-6 8-6

157 -- Chad Walsh-R dec. Austin Matthews-E 15-11 8-9

165 -- Casey Fuller-E dec. Curt Delia-R 6-3 11-9

174 -- Patrick Jennings-E dec. Wayne Stinson-R 6-1 14-9

184 -- Vic Avery-E major dec. Michale Fagg-Daves –R 13-4 18-9

197 -- Ryan Wolfe-R dec. Vince Pickett-E 4-3 18-12

Hwt -- Mauro Correnti-R dec. Billy Miller-E 3-1 18-15

To remove your e-mail address from our mailing list, please click on Customer Care and select Remove From Mailing List from the Area of Interest list and specify your e-mail address. Note: This does not apply to opt-in e-mail. To modify your opt-in e-mail deliveries, log in to the site and modify your preferences. Customer Care

NeuLion
800 Central Park Drive
Sanford, FL 32771

ate: Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 5:43 PM
Subject: @IlliniWrestling Falls to No. 1 Penn State 30-15
To:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Saturday, January 23, 2016

SID Contact: Chad Beyler (O: 217.300.1449; C: 217.493.3777 or beyler2@illinois.edu

Link: http://fightingillini.com/news/2016/1/23/WREST_0123163946.aspx

Full Play-By-Play: http://bit.ly/1S2gIvR

FIGHTING ILLINI WRESTLING

@IlliniWrestling Falls to No. 1 Penn State 30-15

Penn State’s Nolf Snaps Martinez’s Streak

CHAMPAIGN, ILL.— In one of the most anticipated matches of the Big Ten season, top-ranked Penn State showed why they remain the favorite to win a Big Ten and NCAA Title. Cael Sanderson’s squad used three pins, two over ranked opponents, to defeat the Orange and Blue 30-15 in front of a season-high crowd of 1407. In defeat, the Illini saw undefeated wrestlers Isaiah Martinez and Zac Brunson have their streaks snapped this afternoon.

“I think at 157, that guy was ready to answer the bell and he did,” said Head Coach Jim Heffernan. “I guess he’s no longer undefeated, but if that’s the worst thing that happens to him in his career, that’s okay. Brunson, he was in on a shot with less than 15 seconds to go, theoretically to win the match if he finishes, almost finishes, gives up a takedown, and ends up on his back. You can’t let that happen. {We had} two number ones get beat, two number ones got pinned, we lost by 15 points. If our two studs aren’t going to win, we aren’t going to win very many matches.”

The Illini and Nittany Lions started the match at 141 pounds, where Mousa Jodeh stepped in for an injured Brock Ervin. Jodeh fought tough through the first two periods, surrendering just one takedown, but trailed 2-1 entering the third period. However, in the third period #16 Jimmy Gulibon netted four points with an escape, a takedown, and a final point for riding time to open the dual with a 6-1 victory.

At 149 pounds, Kyle Langenderfer had his work cut out for him, as he opposed No.2 Zain Retherford. Retherford started fast with a takedown to grab an early, and then clamped down on Langenderfer to get a 2:10 pin. The victory moved Retherford to a perfect 20-0, while giving Penn State a 9-0 lead after two matches.

The matchup headliner this afternoon came at 157 pounds where Isaiah Martinez put his 54 consecutive wins on the line against undefeated red-shirt freshman Jason Nolf. Nolf and Martinez battled each other through the first period, both grapplers netting a takedown and an escape. Nolf regained the lead with an escape to start the second period. As the second period entered its final 30 seconds, Nolf gained the advantage again and earned a takedown to put Martinez in a compromising position. Nolf held his ground for the full count for his tenth pin of the season.

“It was first match I've lost in two years,” said Martinez. “It doesn’t feel good to lose but I'm not making any excuses. Next time I’ll be better. I was rolling around too much. That’s probably where I messed up.”

For Martinez, it was his first loss since his first season on campus when re redshirted. The streak spanned 61 matches, 54 since the start of last season, and ended a run of 18 straight wins against ranked opponents. The streak that began 750 days ago saw Martinez win 48 of his 61 matches by major decision or greater, including 26 by technical fall. Last season, Martinez became the first freshman to go undefeated since current Penn State Head Coach Cael Sanderson went undefeated in 1999 and finished his career a perfect 159-0.

“I’m not thinking about the streak as much. It hurts to lose,” explained Martinez. “It doesn’t feel good. The streak aside, it’s not about that. It's about the loss and how I can get better. The main goal is to win a national championship at the NCAAs and that’s what we focus on. I'd have liked to have won all the matches, but that’s where it matters. I keep a good perspective. I’ve been wrestling 18 years, so I’ve lost. It just hasn’t happened in awhile.”

With Illinois facing a 15-0 deficit, senior Steven Rodrigues showed resolve by overcoming the situation and getting the Illini on the board. Shakur Rasheed jumped out to a quick 6-0 lead with a takedown and near fall, but Rodrigues cut the lead 7-3 by the end of the first period. Rodrigues doubled his points in period two while not giving ground to the Nittany Lion, setting up a decisive third period. Rasheed extended his lead to 8-6 with an escape, but two takedowns by Rodrigues was too much for Rasheed, beating him 10-9.

“I just have to get off to a fast start,” said Rodrigues. “I’ve always had a good gas tank. I know I can win nationals this year, if I don’t give up early points, and then I can build my leads. I knew that he was done after that first exchange and I just needed to push the pace even harder and get off to my attacks.”

With Illinois on the scoreboard, the Fighting Illini turned to #1 Zac Brunson to continue the momentum against No.2 Bo Nickal. Brunson started out strong with a takedown, but Nickal used two escapes and a takedown to lead 4-3 entering the third frame. Brunson fought his way to an escape that knotted the score back up at 4-4, but Nickal responded again with a takedown in the corner of the mat. Similar to Martinez, the takedown left Brunson under full control of Nickal where the freshman pinned the Illini with just 11 seconds remaining in the bout. The loss was Brunson’s first of the season after the Illini pins leader had won 14 straight, but had only wrestled once prior today since winning the Reno Tournament on December 20.

Trailing 21-3, Jeff Koepke got Illinois back in the right direction with a strong performance against No. 12 Matt McCutcheon. After McCutcheon started the scoring with a takedown, Koepke got an escape in the first period and added another to start the second frame. With the score tied 2-2, Koepke locked his arms around one of McCutcheon’s legs and used his other leg to drop the Nittany Lion to the mat. Upon earning the takedown, and taking a 4-2 lead, an injury timeout was given to Penn State. After a minute and a half, McCutcheon was deemed unable to continue, giving the Illini a six-point victory.

At 197, Penn State featured the top-ranked wrestler Morgan McIntosh against Illinois’ Andre Lee. Lee held McIntosh within reach through the first period, but three takedowns from McIntosh proved to be too much for the Illini red-shirt freshman as McIntosh won 14-3, stretching Penn State’s lead out to 25-9.

Brooks Black earned is third win in Big Ten dual play this afternoon Jan Johnson of Penn State. Black started the scoring with a first-period takedown and led for the full seven minutes while racking up more than two minutes of riding time, as he defeated the Penn State true-freshman 6-2.

With the lead trimmed to 25-12, No. 4 Nico Megalucis stretched it back out to it’s largest of the day with a five-point technical fall over Francis Edelen of Illinois. Although Edelen held Megalucis in check through the first three minutes, Megalucis bounded back by scoring 22 points over the next 3:45 to win 24-9.

The Orange and Blue wrapped up the afternoon on a high note with Zane Richards keeping his perfect record in tact. Once again facing a top-10 wrestler, Richards secured his fourth win over a ranked opponent, all during Big Ten play. Richards used two takedowns in the first period to gain a 4-1 advantage and maintained it for all seven minutes, netting a point for riding time, to win 8-2.

Coach Heffernan and the Fighting Illini will have a week off to regroup before traveling to Madison, Wisconsin where they will battle the Badgers at 1 p.m. on January 31.

#1 Penn State 30, #11 Illinois 15 (Full Play-By-Play: http://bit.ly/1S2gIvR)

141: #16 James Gulibon (PSU)dec Mousa Jodeh (ILL),6-3 | 0-3

149: #2 Zain Retherford fall Kyle Langenderfer (ILL, 2:10 | 0-9

157: #3 Jason Nolf fall #1 Isaiah Martinez (ILL),4:55 | 0-15

165: #6 Steven Rodrigues (ILL) dec. #17 Shakur Rasheed(PSU),10-9 | 3-15

174: #2 Bo Nickal (PSU) fall #1 Zac Brunson (ILL, 6:49 | 3-21

184: #16 Jeff Koepke (ILL) inj. #12 Matt McCutcheon (MSU),4:02 | 9-21

197: #1 Morgan McIntosh (PSU) major dec. Andre Lee (ILL),14-3 | 9-25

HWT: Brooks Black (ILL) dec. Jan Johnson (PSU),6-2 | 12-25

125: #4 Nico Megalucis (PSU) tech fall Francis Edelen (ILL),24-9 | 12-30

133: #2 Zane Richards (ILL) dec. #6 Jordan Conaway (PSU), 8-2 | 15-30

--
3NS7fVT-psFn_zRNDPbQPit9eePyg5mFz4SlZf8SgQ1wtTLtDt3Vy6JwPl-N9UhbPEpeHR3HO7h6NlkkqAlCt6XTcDXTBecDbfmXogyl8VA_Dn4Z3okC1xwXkzAogCd7Vv_mBiF8Jtr6NDEpLqXNyf2IjTrsRQmpjJryFBX5bg8ErURXwYZuF2tjhNgwXUGQBLur7eUuWxOvwiw=s0-d-e1-ft

Chad Beyler

Athletics Communication Intern
Division of Intercollegiate Athletics | University of Illinois
SID Contact: Men's & Women's Track/XC, Wrestling, Assistant Volleyball
Office: 217-300-1449 | Cell: 217-493-3777
beyler2@illinois.edu

Date: Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 3:03 PM
Subject: Galli Sparks Stanford Comeback Over West Virginia
To:

Galli Sparks Comeback
Courtesy: Stanford Athletics
Release: 01/23/2016

TEMPE, Ariz. - A fall by Peter Galli at 174 pounds propelled No. 18 Stanford to a 20-15 victory over West Virginia, Saturday, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

The Cardinal, which will wrestle Arizona State later today, moves to 8-2 on the year. Stanford won five of the 10 bouts, including major decisions by Joey McKenna and Jim Wilson.

West Virginia took an early 3-0 lead in the dual as No. 13 Zeke Moisey registered a 3-1 sudden victory decision over No. 18 Connor Schram at 125 pounds. Tied 1-1 in the overtime, Schram was in deep on a shot which Moisey was able to defend and ultimately turn into a takedown as time expired.

After Brian Rossi dropped a 5-3 decision to Keegan Moore at 133 pounds, McKenna got the Cardinal on the board with a 10-0 major decision over Tony DeAngelo at 141 pounds. Ranked second nationally, McKenna tallied three takedowns, two near fall points, an escape and riding time in the win.

The Mountaineers pushed their lead to 13-4 after Zachary Moore posted a 10-5 decision over redshirt sophomore Tommy Pawelski at 149 pounds and No. 14 Dylan Cottrell recorded a 16-5 major decision against redshirt freshman Walker Dempsey at 157 pounds.

Wilson, ranked 18th at 165 pounds, cut into the West Virginia lead with a 13-4 major decision over Connor Flynn. After a review by the officials, Wilson was awarded two near fall points at the end of the third period, solidifying the major. West Virginia also challenged the call and eventually lost a team point after being hit with a unsportsman-like conduct call.

Trailing 12-8 in the dual, Galli came up with a fall in 4:30 over Ross Renzi at 174 pounds to give the Cardinal its first lead. It was the second pin of the year for the redshirt junior.

Redshirt sophomore Garet Krohn pushed the Stanford lead to 17-12 with a 3-2 decision at 184 pounds over Bubba Scheffel. Tied 2-2 going into the third period, Krohn elected to start down, putting himself in position to score the winning point with an escape.

West Virginia's Jacob Smith cut the Cardinal lead to 17-15 with a 7-0 decision over Michael Sojka at 197 pounds meaning the dual would be decided by the result of the heavyweight bout.

Redshirt sophomore Nathan Butler sealed the win for the Cardinal with an 8-1 decision over AJ Vizcarrondo at heavyweight. Tied 1-1 in the final period, Butler secured a takedown with about a minute left in the third. He tacked on four near fall points and 1:12 of riding time for the win.

Stanford will also face Arizona State on its trip to Tempe, later Saturday evening.

No. 18 Stanford 20, West Virginia 15
Weight
Participants
Score
#13 Zeke Moisey (WV) dec. #18 Connor Schram (S)
3-1 (SV)
Keegan Moore (WV) dec. Brian Rossi (S)
5-3
#2 Joey McKenna (S) maj. dec. Tony DeAngelo (W)
10-0
Zachary Moore (WV) dec. Tommy Pawelski (S)
10-5
#14 Dylan Cottrell (WV) maj. dec. Walker Dempsey (S)
16-5
#18 Jim Wilson (S) dec. Connor Flynn (WV)
13-4
Peter Galli (S) fall Ross Renzi (WV)
4:30
Garet Krohn (S) dec. Bubba Scheffel (WV)
3-2
Jacob Smith (WV) dec. Michael Sojka (S)
7-0
Nathan Butler (S) dec. AJ Vizcarrondo (WV)
8-1

Regina Verlengiere

Assistant Director, Athletics Communications

Women's Volleyball, Wrestling, Men's Volleyball

641 E. Campus Dr.

Stanford, CA 94305

650-723-0996 (O)

Date: Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 1:15 PM
Subject: Indiana Wrestling Results: No. 6 Michigan 33, No. 16 Indiana 6

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - Below are the results for Indiana's Sunday, January 24 dual vs. Michigan at Cliff Keen Arena.

Recap to follow.

Results: No. 6 MICHIGAN 33, No. 16 INDIANA 6
125:
Elijah Oliver (Indiana) dec. #20 Conor Youtsey (Michigan), 5-4 | IU, 3-0
133: #17 Rossi Bruno (Michigan) maj. dec. Alonzo Shepherd (Indiana), 15-2 | UM, 4-3
141: Zac Hall (Michigan) dec. Cole Weaver (Indiana), 6-3 | UM, 7-3
149: #6 Alec Pantaleo (Michigan) dec. Luke Blanton (Indiana) 7-2 | UM, 10-3
157: Jake Danishek (Indiana) dec. Cody VanderHagen (Michigan), 10-3 | UM, 10-6
165: Garret Sutton (Michigan) dec. Eric Roach (Indiana), 6-2 | UM, 13-6
174: #14 Davonte Mahomes (Michigan) dec. #6 Nate Jackson (Indiana), 9-8 | UM, 16-6
184: #9 Dominic Abounader (Michigan) pinned Wyatt Wilson (Indiana), Fall 1:16 | UM, 22-6
197: #6 Max Huntley (Michigan) pinned Jake Masengale (Indiana), Fall 4:14 | UM, 28-6
285: #4 Adam Coon (Michigan) tech fall Fletcher Miller (Indiana), 19-4 (6:59) | UM, 33-6

Up Next:
No. 16 Indiana (6-2, 3-2 Big Ten)
: home vs. No. 7 Ohio State • Friday, January 29 • 7:00 p.m. ET • BTN Plus
No. 6 Michigan (9-1, 4-0 Big Ten): home vs. Northwestern • Friday, January 29 • 7:00 p.m. ET • BTN Plus

--
Nick Reith
Wrestling, Water Polo

Air Force Wrestling Falls at South Dakota State

Brooking, S.D. – Air Force wrestling (5-4, 0-3 Big 12) dropped a 15-23 Big 12 conference dual to the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State (8-5, 2-1 Big12), Sunday morning in Brooking, S.D. The loss marks Air Force’s second Big 12 conference loss on the weekend and third conference loss on the season. Falcons saw victory in four of ten weight classes to include a fall from Josh Martinez in a nationally ranked bout.

After a major decision loss in the 125 class, No. 19 Martinez earned a fall at the six-minute mark against No. 17 Brance Simms in the 133 class to give the Falcons their first and only lead of the night. The fall marked Martinez’s first fall against a ranked opponent on the season, his second fall on the season and his second win in nationally ranked bouts this year.

The Falcons would drop the next three matches in 141 and 149 as well as Zach Stepan’s 6-10 decision loss to No. 6 Cody Pack in the 157 class.

In the second nationally ranked bout of the night, No. 18 (WIN) Parker Hines took on No. 14 (IM) Nate Rotert in the 197 class. The bout would come down to the final seconds with riding time in favor of Rotert. Hines would give up escape points to attempt takedown points for the victory but Rotert was able to fend off Hines and take the 8-7 decision win with a riding time point.

Air Force would pick up three more wins on the night coming from Alex Lopouchanski’s 7-3 decision in the 165’s, Anthony McLaughlin’s 3-2 decision in the 184’s and Marcus Malecek’s 2-0 decision in the 285’s.

Martinez would be the only Falcon to earn bonus points on the night, with a final score of 23-15 in favor of the Jackrabbits.

Final Results:

Air Force (5-3, 0-2 Big12) at South Dakota State (8-5, 1-1 Big12)

Ben Gilette (SDSU) MD Drew Romero (AF) – 15-4, SDSU 4-0

#19 Josh Martinez (AF) fall #17 Brance Simms (SDSU) – 6:00, AF 6-4

Seth Gross (SDSU) fall Dylan Hyder (AF) – 2:49, SDSU 10-6

Alex Kocer (SDSU) dec. Alex Mossing (AF) – 12-9, SDSU 13-6
#6 Cody Pack (SDSU) dec. Zach Stepan (AF) – 10-6, SDSU 16-6

Alex Lopouchanski (AF) Logan Peterson (SDSU) – 7-3, SDSU 16-9

David Kocer (SDSU) MD Zen Ikehara (AF) – 19-6, SDSU 20-9

Anthony McLaughlin (AF) dec. Brady Ayers (SDSU) – 3-2, SDSU 20-12

#14 Nate Rotert (SDSU) dec. Parker Hines (AF) – 8-7, SDSU 23-12

Marcus Malecek (AF) dec. Alex Macki (SDSU) – 2-0, SDSU 23-15

Final team score: SDSU 23, AF 15

*Rankings based on Intermat polls

Next week, Air Force will head to Lexington Virginia to participate in the All-Academy Championships hosted by the Virginia Military Institute. Service academy rivals Army West Point and Navy will be in attendance along with the Coast Guard Academy, VMI, Citadel, Norwich University and the Merchant Marine Academy. Action takes place on Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016 at the Virginia Military Institute.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT