ADVERTISEMENT

Dual Team States Predictions

SingleWingNut

Getting reps on JV
Aug 30, 2016
What does everyone think the top six will shape out to be in D1 and D2
Sallies recently losing to Smryna will shake up the ranking a little
Does Milford have the ability to avenge a couple early season losses and pull it out
my predictions ***Smyrna D1 winner and Milford D2 winner .

Last edited:
Reactions: wtc76 and Takestime
What does everyone think the top six will shape out to be in D1 and D2
Sallies recently losing to Sussex will shake up the ranking a little
Does Milford have the ability to avenge a couple early season losses and pull it out
my predictions ***Smyrna D1 winner and Milford D2 winner .
I think you made a typo. Sallies lost to Smyrna and Smyrna lost to Sussex Central.

Division I
1. Smyrna
2. Salesianum
3. Caesar Rodney
4. Sussex Central
5. Dover
6. St. Georges

Division II
1. Laurel / Indian River winner
2. Laurel / Indian River loser
3. Milford
4. Woodbridge
5. Archmere
6. AI DuPont

Reactions: myrealname
Division I
1. Smyrna
2. Salesianum
3. Caesar Rodney
4. Sussex Central
5. Dover
6. St. Georges

Division II
1. Laurel / Indian River winner
2. Laurel / Indian River loser
3. Milford
4. Woodbridge
5. Archmere
6. AI DuPont

Looking at common opponents, I don't think Woodbridge will get the nod over DMA

Looking at common opponents, I don't think Woodbridge will get the nod over DMA

I was looking at Woodbridge getting the nod over Archmere who beat DMA head to head. Woodbridge has a common opponent advantage over Archmere. I thought I had seen where Woodbridge won the Bulldog Invitational which Archmere competed, but when I checked Track where was no team score kept. They have in the past used strength of schedule as part of their decision making. 5 of Woodbridge's 6 losses are to teams that will most likely be in either the Div I or Div II duals. It will be interesting how Division II shakes out.

I was looking at Woodbridge getting the nod over Archmere who beat DMA head to head. Woodbridge has a common opponent advantage over Archmere. I thought I had seen where Woodbridge won the Bulldog Invitational which Archmere competed, but when I checked Track where was no team score kept. They have in the past used strength of schedule as part of their decision making. 5 of Woodbridge's 6 losses are to teams that will most likely be in either the Div I or Div II duals. It will be interesting how Division II shakes out.
They did keep team scores. Woodbridge won and we were second. Not sure where Archmere finished though.

Reactions: HammersWrestling
Not a fan of auto bid that’s like getting a competition trophy o don’t think AI even has a full lineup

Typically the autobid isn't an issue as the conference winners would have made it in anyway but with HVT and St Georges moving up and the two schools that moved down dont have good wrestling programs its opened it up for an autobid to bump a deserving team... Looks like DMA may be that team which would be a shame being the two coaches are retiring..

Typically the autobid isn't an issue as the conference winners would have made it in anyway but with HVT and St Georges moving up and the two schools that moved down dont have good wrestling programs its opened it up for an autobid to bump a deserving team... Looks like DMA may be that team which would be a shame being the two coaches are retiring..
I don’t like the auto-bid mainly because I think it should be the top 6 teams in each division. It has happened in the past too where a team gets in via auto-bid when another team has beaten them and really should be in. Now would any of these changed the ultimate outcome of which team wins states, most likely no. But for the sake of the kids/team the best teams should be given the opportunity to compete. Just like the change they made to the individual states this year, the goal should be the best wrestlers/teams get in.

The winner of a conference should get an automatic bid; they are the conference champs. It is the privilege of being a conference champ. The other "good teams" are able to apply for an "at large bid." This is where they look at head to head and so on. In addition, the state tournament was opened up to 6 teams rather then 4. This how 4 henlopen teams are able to be in the tournament.
When the Blue Hen Conference and/or independent teams were dominating the team state tournament, no one tried to change the system. And the same goes for the independent tournament.

When the Blue Hen Conference and/or independent teams were dominating the team state tournament...

When was this? I keep seeing this sentiment expressed here and honestly do not recall a time when there were 5 or 6 BH/IND teams that deserved to be in the duals.

It most definitely is in the DIAA rules the Henlopen and Blue Hen conference winners get in. Benny could be right AI could have opted out and that is also in the rules. If so kudos to AI coach showing respect to DMA coaches, team and the sport

Reactions: moneyballforme
I'm almost sure that AI would have to decline the bid for Dual States to allow Woodbridge to get in at the 6 seed.

The winner of a conference should get an automatic bid; they are the conference champs. It is the privilege of being a conference champ. The other "good teams" are able to apply for an "at large bid." This is where they look at head to head and so on. In addition, the state tournament was opened up to 6 teams rather then 4. This how 4 henlopen teams are able to be in the tournament.
When the Blue Hen Conference and/or independent teams were dominating the team state tournament, no one tried to change the system. And the same goes for the independent tournament.
Honestly with no auto-bid there could be times where all the teams were henlopen. I don’t think this is anyone from Indy/blue hen trying to change the system to benefit themselves. It’s about doing what’s right for the kids & Delaware Wrestling. I totally get why we have the auto-bids, it just sucks when it means the top 6 best teams aren’t represented.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
Loads of respect for AI. Auto Bids are necessary for the state duel tournament. Yes, there will be years that the 6 best do not get in but none the less you are conference champs. And there will be years where.conferences like Flight B have a great team that's able to compete or win a match or two at the state tournament and if we take away auto bids then these smaller schools will never get in because of "strength of schedule" which isn't their fault having to wrestle in conference. AI has 2 of their best wrestlers currently injured and are only fielding 10 out of 14 weight classes. The coaches understand that these other schools worked hard all season and want to see the duel meet tournament as competitive as possible. And this shows DIAA and the wrestling community respect teams have for one another and will prove to DIAA that keeping the format as is does work for the state now and in the future.

Reactions: WrestlingFan1994
A.I. duPont earned the Flight B title and its automatic bid, but withdrew from the tournament due to injuries, opening the slot for Woodbridge.

2018 DIAA Wrestling Tournaments

(Saturday at Smyrna High School)

Division I

Quarterfinals - 2pm

No. 3 Caesar Rodney vs. No. 6 St. Georges

No. 4 Sussex Central vs. No. 5 Dover

Semifinals - 4pm

Lowest Remaining Seed vs. No. 1 Smyrna

Highest Remaining Seed vs. No. 2 Salesianum

Finals - 6pm

Quarterfinals - 2pm

No. 3 Milford vs. No. 6 Woodbridge